• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

washing

Your best bet is late in the evening or early in the morning when the sun is the lowest and coolest, its not so much the sun as it is letting the water bead and dry on the car causing water spots, the morning or late evening just gives you more time to work but you still need to make sure you remove the water and do not let your car air dry, I use a water blade to dry my car after a bath.

Best of luck.

Dave

huckster,

Your avatar is black so I am thinking you own a black NSX. Me too. Washing in the sun is VERY BAD for any color, but especially black. If water spots dry on the car, which will happen in the sun, it is a mess. If your water is "hard" you'll just have to start over. The paint surface must be cool.

I do it early in the morning before the sun hits my driveway, then I immediately drive it in the garage for drying and detailing.

Also, many may think I am nuts, but a good time to wash it is in the rain! JMO This also keeps the neighbors at bay during a drought. (ask me how I know!!)

HTH,
LarryB

Originally posted by DDozier:
I use a water blade to dry my car after a bath.

eek.gif

I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING A WATER BLADE ON THE NSX (or any car for that matter)!!!

They *WILL* scratch the finish!!!

I always wash my truck and motorcycle in the rain, just to save water. Added benefits are not hot from the sun and the rain water is actually distilled, though some would argue it has an acid content. Just one of the things I've always done, even with no water restrictions from a drought.

Originally posted by POWERED by HONDA:I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING A WATER BLADE ON THE NSX (or any car for that matter)!!!

That has not been my experience at all - I have been very happy with the job my waterblade has done & have noticed no scrathes at all caused by the blade (disclaimer: My paint is not in "mint" condition - I bought the car with 103k miles on it).

Two other related things:

1. If you must wash your car in the sun while the paint is hot, just do a very thorough "wetting down" of the car before you begin washing. A couple minutes of garden hose rinsing will cool down the paint (at least here in Michigan).

2. I have had EXCELLENT results getting rid of water spots by using 2 100% cotton polishing cloths and Griot's Garage Speed Shine. If the car was clean, but rained on in the driveway, I can Speed Shine the whole car in about 15 minutes and it looks like it was just washed. You can find info on Speedshine here.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 14 June 2002).]

As for the use of a "blade", I've had great results for well over a year. I'm always very careful in how I hold it and how much pressure I apply and it sure is a time and towel saver. Just wanted to share my personal experience,
Scott

Originally posted by huckster:
well, i broke down and washed her in my garage(it does have a drain). worked out great. so i guess i solved another major life problem
smile.gif

...then you should get a couple of these.
biggrin.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

I have a 400W halide in a 2 foot square reflector... Fantastic addition to my makeshift shop.

At night when the garage door is open, you can play billards on the street...

When the garage door is closed, the neighbors know I am working on my garden!

I use a garden leaf blower to blow the water off the car and then finish the last drops with a synthetic chamois. Keeps the wax on and prevents drips from all the nooks and crannies.

Originally posted by POWERED by HONDA:

I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING A WATER BLADE ON THE NSX (or any car for that matter)!!!

The waterblade will only scratch your paint if you have some kind of foreign contaminant on the blade or on the car. A good car wash with a waterblade cleaned with soap and water prior to will remove all the foreign contaminants. I have used my waterblade on my NSX since the day I bought it and have not had any problems with scratches. I have had better results with the waterblade than using a chamois.

[This message has been edited by johndoh (edited 16 June 2002).]

hey Larry, yeah its a black/black 91. ive now purchased two black vehicles in the last 18 months and i have moments where i think i must have been crazy....i just gave up on my escalade---its a truck and trucks are supposed to be dirty, right? the nsx is not too bad to keep clean since its not a daily driver and has had a pampered life.

WOW!!! Michigan, thats a great idea about those lights, until i see the price. 500$ bucks, American greenbacks??? i think i'll get the tubi first, in fact there are a lot of things i could get before that. but hey, sell me on the idea. are they really worth it???

I have never used the water blade myself on my cars. I've seen them used on other cars and when I see them during the day, they look horrible with highly visible scratch marks ALL over the place. ANYONE can see them, not just us car freaks.

I agree, johndoe. You will get scratches in the paint if you didn't give the car a good wash or keep the drying item clean (blade or not).

Originally posted by POWERED by HONDA:
eek.gif

I completely disagree. I have used a water blade for years now on at least 10 different cars of various colors including black. Never a scratch. Just make sure it is always clean.

------------------
1991 NSX Red/Black

Originally posted by DDozier:
I use a water blade to dry my car after a bath.

For the first time Friday I used my gas powered leaf blower to dry my car.

All I can say is it beats the heck out of any other method I know of.

97-T #009

Originally posted by huckster:
WOW!!! Michigan, thats a great idea about those lights, until i see the price. 500$ bucks,...but hey, sell me on the idea. Are they really worth it???

I don't know if its worth it to you. I certainly could find better uses for $1000 (for 2). I think they are one of those "if you have to ask how much $..." items. Very cool (like a tiled garage floor) but only you can decide if its worth it to you. I don't have them.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Originally posted by NSX4U2:
...For the first time Friday I used my gas powered leaf blower to dry my car. All I can say is it beats the heck out of any other method I know of.

97-T #009

When I am serious (ie. anal) about drying my car I use the following system:

1. Waterblade as much as possible

2. Use a 4HP air compressor with a piece of rubber tipped brakeline attached to the blower accessory (for crevices/seams/mirrors)

3. Follow up any remaining water & inside doors/trunk/hood with 100% cotton towels.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Back