• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

WASSSSAPPPPPP

Well I can speak to you from experience. I am 18 and I got my 91 NSX when I was 17. I previously owned a mitsu eclipse gst, and a 95 M3. The NSX is a great car but like mentioned above it can be a pain. I drive very little during traffic hours so that doesnt bother too much, but when I get to a party and I have to park the car, I think twice about every spot I see. Also, i'm sure you like going out with friends well guess what you can only bring one along. Also, if you are not a careful driver you could get into many problems. For example, you get pulled over for going 5 mph over the speed limit. Usually you get off with nothing but maybe a warning. The cop sees a 16 year old driving and it is a for sure ticket. Then get ready to have your car keyed at school and have to repaint body panels because of the envious kids. It is a great car, though, if you dont mind the above. But please go to a performance driving school because you will need it especially with no previous driving experience in a car such as the NSX.

I know this PAL character from other boards and there always seems to be some kind of animosity between he and the others...... PAL, please keep things civil and intelligent here. This is NOT Superhonda or one of those 'kiddy' chat boards full of swearing and made up stories from people who don't have any idea what they're talking about. It is, rather, an informative owner/enthusiast site with intelligent discussion..... Thanks and welcome to the site. You will learn a lot here... mostly about exotic car etiquette.

------------------
Todd Arnold
NSXotic.gif

http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

Hey PAL,
You have a problem... You said that you make 6$ an hour, and have a "questionable" side business. Lets forget about the business, and assume that you purchase one of the above mentioned sports cars. Lets also assume that because of your lack of a driving record, your age, demographics, location, etc... that your insurance comes to around 5000 a year. (which you said you will pay)

Simple math shows that if you worked your current job at present rate of pay, for a full work week (40) hours, it would take you around 21 weeks to pay for the insurance alone.

Since you're in high school, you probably work around 15 hrs a week. at that rate, even if you worked year round - your gross income is 4680, hence it is not possible for you too afford the insurance for the vehicle, let alone gas/maintenance/upgrades/accident repairs etc....

I'm sorry to say, but you really can't afford the NSX or the S2000 with "Your Money". You probably could borrow "Daddy's Money", but then your are just another spoiled kid, and people will treat you as such.

Again, I'm sorry to say it, but as you would put it "You are F*&#$#"

Cheers
Jeff

P.S. Why not just invest it, so when you're in college, you can afford a really really nice car?

------------------
-------
95 T bl/bl @ 39K
DC Headers
RM DTM Exhaust
CT Strut Tower Bar

PAL,

Why not just invest it?

Let me give you some advice. You won't follow it, but I feel I would be remiss if I didn't. Assuming you're not a spoiled rich brat, take the $30,000 you would have spent on an NSX and invest it for the future. You can add in the money you would have spent on insurance and maintenance for the NSX, neither of which is cheap. According to my back-of-the-envelope Excel calculations, that money invested today would be worth over one million dollars by the time you are 45 (assuming a normal market rate of return).

As you will not likely follow this advice, when you are 45 please look at your bank statement. If you have less than one million dollars there, remember my advice.

-Bob ('94 #496, age 39, less than one million dollars)

Originally posted by flaminio:
As you will not likely follow this advice, when you are 45 please look at your bank statement. If you have less than one million dollars there, remember my advice.

I should've listened to advice like this a few years back. I worked for a software company and had pre-IPO stock options. That company got bought by a bigger company that was publicly traded. First thing I did was cash out some stock and buy a 1997 3.5RL with navigation. Know what? I'm driving the world's most expensive 3.5RL right now.

Why? Because the current value of those stock options I sold to buy the car are worth damn near $200,000.00. Back in March of 2000, they were worth about $1.5M. :)

So, PAL... listen to people who are a bit (but not much) older than you. We know you won't, but maybe one of us will get through to you and keep you from making a stupid decision.

Think you can swing the cost of insurance, maintenance, TIRES, etc? On your income you're probably just convincing yourself you can. You're making a decision based on emotion, not logic. Buy something less expensive that can be modifed for less money. Use this car to LEARN HOW TO DRIVE both on the street and the track. Then, when you're a bit more mature and you've got some more financial security, buy an NSX.

EDR

The members here have given you a lot of advice. Take or leave it. Become a statistic or enjoy life. Act mature or not. Use logic or emotion.

You've saved $13k for a car. That's great. I commend you for achieving this at your age. That's pretty cool. Your Dad is offering you $7k towards a car. You're going to need at a minimum $16k more to own and\ NSX which is what THIS forum is about not BMW, Subaru, Toyota, etc.

Why? Because it's going to take at minimum $12k more for 91 NSX which sell for around $32k on the low side. Another $1000 for tires because you'll eat them up. Another $500 for a tune up. Plus the insurance folks are going to want cash up front for 6 mos of coverage if you can get and that's going to cost another $2500 for a total of $16k.

You've got job paying $6/hr. If my math is right it will take 3000 hrs to earn that amount because of taxes. There's only 2080 work hours in a year if you work 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks of the year. How do you figure you'll have enough money by next spring?

The way I figure it you're dreaming. Don't get me wrong, it's ok to dream. Sure I'd like to have 85 foot yacht in the "med". I could to buy it today but I don't have the cash to out fit it the way I would want. I also don't have the cash flow to operate it and maintain it. So guess what? I don't waste peoples time about trying to figure out a way to own it.

So you came here and ask for our advice not for us to dream with you.

... I'm looking into investing into an NSX. ...hopefully i will have 30K by next spring. I would like to purchase a 91-92 NSX ...

... Can you do a targa/convertible conversion cheap???

What would you guys get for 30k?

M roadster?
Supra?
Corvette?

Also what makes the NSX worth the 90K price tag it has new? Seems a little steep to me.
{/B]

So here are the answers:
1. Any NSX you can afford is not an investment. It will not increase in value only decrease.

2. You don't have $30k and probably won't by next spring. You have $13k with $7k from dad and a $6/hr job. Go figure.

3. You can't buy a 91-92 NSX worth owning for $30k. And if you find one for this price you will have to spend much more to make it worth owning and maybe even drivable.

4. A targa mod will run you $10k. It will decrease the value of the car by that much which means it's costing you $20k. You can't afford it and it would be stupid to do it.

5. See #2 above as you can not afford a new M roadster, Supra or Vette either as they don't cost $30k.

6. Yes an NSX is worth $90k because in my opinion it's the best exotic supercar for the money. If it's too steep for you maybe you should think about why would you ask that question of people who spent $90k.

So here's the advice:
Put half your money in a "real" investment. Buy a Miata or a Kart for under $10k and have some fun. Watch your investment grow and go to college. You're going to be "extremely" surprised how expensive college is and how much you will wish you had some extra cash.

I think you've been given all the advice you need. The choice is yours and so is your future. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by hejo (edited 09 August 2001).]

Its every high school kids dream to even ride on an NSX. When ur driving CRXs, Civics, Integras, its normal to "fantazise" about owning the ultimate Honda.

But I think judging by your attitude and language, IMHO you should "INVEST" in a college education, better job, and responsibilities, before buying a car like the NSX.

As a *relatively* young(21) NSX owner, I agree with EVERYONE on this Board. I am very proud to own an NSX, and respect the people on this board as they are mostly
#1:Older than I am,
#2:Smarter than I am
#3:Richer than I am.

My advice to you PAL is not to buy an NSX. As Hal said you can't afford one. Period. I thought the same way you did, until I bought my NSX. You may be able to afford to BUY one. But the hard part is not BUYING one, but OWNING one. The maintenance is very expensive compared to your average car, and the car requires extra care as it *is* a High performance machine.

Listen to these gentlemen. My guess is that the median income for the people on this board is well into the 6 figure range. They all make that for a reason. They are smart. Follow their advice.

Originally posted by flaminio:
PAL,

Let me give you some advice. You won't follow it, but I feel I would be remiss if I didn't. Assuming you're not a spoiled rich brat, take the $30,000 you would have spent on an NSX and invest it for the future. You can add in the money you would have spent on insurance and maintenance for the NSX, neither of which is cheap. According to my back-of-the-envelope Excel calculations, that money invested today would be worth over one million dollars by the time you are 45 (assuming a normal market rate of return).

-Bob ('94 #496, age 39, less than one million dollars)

I would FAR rather have had fun in high school and college, spending my money on my car and whatever else, than be a 45 year old with a million.

As of this writing, there are 61 posts with this "PAL" individual who is of the age of my daughter. I am curious why all the attention? I have not seen such a response to any questions/help requested here?

I would like to see 61 posts about information that is relative to owning an NSX, not what a 16 year old should do with their life! Who cares!

My 2 cents

97-T @ 18K

Originally posted by NSX4U2:
As of this writing, there are 61 posts with this "PAL" individual who is of the age of my daughter. I am curious why all the attention? I have not seen such a response to any questions/help requested here?

I would like to see 61 posts about information that is relative to owning an NSX, not what a 16 year old should do with their life! Who cares!

My 2 cents

97-T @ 18K

I would like to think that this individual has been honored with so many replies. It shows a great deal of concern and honesty. It is nice to be part of this board. This post may have already gone overboard, but if Pal gets an NSX afterall and kill himself; well, we all did our best to dissuade him, while giving him sensible alternatives. The younger of us are happy with our NSXs but realize the sacrifices that must be made as a result. The older and WISER of us have said all they could say. I agree however that Pal's demeanor (use of profanity, over exuberance, and young age) reflects all our concerns. But hell I am no saint. I know I got my NSX too young and can admit it. I didn't have mommy or daddy to help me get it so I learned. NSX4JLP is the youngest NSX owner I know. Having met him I know he is mature enough for one. Maybe you should just hold of for at least a couple more years Pal.

Blade

Ok Lud, I think it's time to moderate and delete some of the posts on this thread. Particularly the last few by our friend PAL.

Thanks.

Gee, that would be too bad, since we had a chance of breaking the record for posts on a single topic on this forum. At the moment, the record still stands at 73 replies.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by PAL:
Hey Jeff

....Why don't you shut up.

That's uncalled for, as is the profanity. I enjoy this board and the forum on NSXSC mainly because the discussion rarely degrades to profanity and insults. Be nice...Please.
smile.gif

Anyway, I have a question about the safety of an NSX in the hands of an inexperienced driver. I'm 33 so I am not a new driver but, I have found that I feel much more confident driving my NSX than I do driving my beater Ford Explorer. If I got into a dangerous situation where I needed to avoid an accident, I think my chances of successfully doing so would be greater in my NSX. When you guys say that an inexperienced driver shouldn't get an NSX, are you really saying that the NSX is too much power (and temptation) for a new (young) driver? I fully agree with that. However, if a young driver got a Mustang Cobra instead, would that be any better? They would be driving a fast car with handling characteristics that are inferior to an NSX. If a parent could put a 70MPH governor on their kid's NSX wouldn't it be a better option than a top heavy SUV?

Personally, I think all teenagers should have to drive what I drove at 16 - a '77 orange vega.
smile.gif

Matt

------------------
2000 NSX-T
Silverstone/Black
8500 miles
No Mods

Originally posted by NSXForEver:
That's uncalled for, as is the profanity. I enjoy this board and the forum on NSXSC mainly because the discussion rarely degrades to profanity and insults. Be nice...Please.
smile.gif

Anyway, I have a question about the safety of an NSX in the hands of an inexperienced driver. I'm 33 so I am not a new driver but, I have found that I feel much more confident driving my NSX than I do driving my beater Ford Explorer. If I got into a dangerous situation where I needed to avoid an accident, I think my chances of successfully doing so would be greater in my NSX. When you guys say that an inexperienced driver shouldn't get an NSX, are you really saying that the NSX is too much power (and temptation) for a new (young) driver? I fully agree with that. However, if a young driver got a Mustang Cobra instead, would that be any better? They would be driving a fast car with handling characteristics that are inferior to an NSX. If a parent could put a 70MPH governor on their kid's NSX wouldn't it be a better option than a top heavy SUV?

Personally, I think all teenagers should have to drive what I drove at 16 - a '77 orange vega.
smile.gif

Matt

First, I agree, the profanity (and the attitude) have got to go - I don't want to see the caliber of the discussion on this forum lowered by one immature kid.

Second, I've owned and driven quite a string of mid-engined cars. I am heartily glad that an NSX was NOT the first car in that string. The mid-engine design has great benefits but it also has some characteristics that can turn and bite a novice driver very quickly. Particularly in bad weather and especially with the alignment and corresponding tire wear of early NSXs!

------------------
The NSX Model List Page

Originally posted by lemansnsx:
The mid-engine design has great benefits but it also has some characteristics that can turn and bite a novice driver very quickly. Particularly in bad weather and especially with the alignment and corresponding tire wear of early NSXs!

Since I am fairly new to mid engine cars (had my NSX for about 7 weeks) I want to avoid any accidents. Are the dangerous characteristics mainly present only when driving the car at its limits? I have made a few fast turns in my NSX and I was very comfortable with the slight oversteer that I experienced. I would appreciate any advice from some of you guys who are more experienced at driving an NSX drivers than I am.

Guess I ought to start a new thread since this is a bit off topic.

Matt

[This message has been edited by NSXForEver (edited 10 August 2001).]

Since I am fairly new to mid engine cars (had my NSX for about 7 weeks) I want to avoid any accidents. Are the dangerous characteristics mainly present only when driving the car at its limits?

Yes.

I have made a few fast turns in my NSX and I was very comfortable with the slight oversteer that I experienced. I would appreciate any advice from some of you guys who are more experienced at driving an NSX drivers than I am.

Tips:

1. Check your tires every few hundred miles for wear, and replace them as soon as the tread bars show flat across (maybe even sooner).

2. If your tires are starting to get worn (even before they have flat tread bars), then be REALLY careful when driving on wet pavement. SLOW DOWN. And not just by 5 or 10 mph.

3. The tires are also less effective when it's cold out (say, below 50 degrees F). Same rules apply: Be careful, and back off.

Guess I ought to start a new thread since this is a bit off topic.

No! No! We've almost broken the record!
biggrin.gif

Hey Jeff

You have a problem. Do me a favor, check out my website www.premiumreplicas.com while your add it check my ebay feedback record with over 2000 positive feedbacks on the items I have been buying/selling. Yeah, daddy's money alright. Why don't you shut up.

O.K., so you have a highly successful e-commerce business
rolleyes.gif
, then why do you still work a job that only pays 6.00 an hour? Touche!

Disclaimer to forum members: I don't usually get involved in petty arguments and pissing contests... but I can't refrain this time - so im sorry.

PAL, let me compliment you on your professional website... Here are some of my favorites pieces of feedback -

1) Premium Replicas Inc.™ <- notice TM - Really
rolleyes.gif
, how come its not registered with the trademark database?

2) Please send and write all payments to our financial management office...

Phil Letourneau
120 Linden Oaks, Suite 120
Rochester, NY 14625

Nice address for an office... hahaha
rolleyes.gif

3) Each month we have a different contest. These contests can be won by anyone and are randomly picked. This months contest is for a free watch of your choice. To win you have to buy at least one watch from us. Please Contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

HAHAHA are you kidding me? You should pat yourself on the back for this one!

4)This is from Jennifer Miller from Houston, TX. "I purchased this watch as a present for my son's graduation, and he swears it looks authentic!"

This satisfied customer is George Brikowski of Seattle, WA. "I recently bought one of your new Tag Heuer S/EL watches and it's BEAUTIFUL, those pictures don't give the watch ANY justice!"

WHAT GREAT FEEDBACK!

5) There are 3 ways that you can get in touch with Premium Replicas Inc. *Our 800 number is currently down now so please contact us via E-Mail*

Hahahah The clincher! Our 800 number is down! Whos your telecom provider, your kid brother?

--I'm sorry PAL, but you're full of hot air. I wouldn't be convinced you were successful if you had a million positive feedback datums. This board is for people who are serious/civil/and successful. You are none of the 3. Take yourself, your attitude, and your taste for imitations, and see yourself to the ricerocket board. Gday!

[This message has been edited by SigEpUCI (edited 10 August 2001).]

Hey guys-

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. I am sorry for my profane language, often inappropriate behavior, etc. I apologize. Thank you all for your honest opinions, you have taught me a lot. You guys are the best.

Originally posted by SigEpUCI:
rolleyes.gif
, then why do you still work a job that only pays 6.00 an hour? Touche!

Disclaimer to forum members: I don't usually get involved in petty arguments and pissing contests... but I can't refrain this time - so im sorry.

PAL, let me compliment you on your professional website... Here are some of my favorites pieces of feedback -

1) Premium Replicas Inc.™ <- notice TM - Really
rolleyes.gif
, how come its not registered with the trademark database?

2) Please send and write all payments to our financial management office...

Phil Letourneau
120 Linden Oaks, Suite 120
Rochester, NY 14625

Nice address for an office... hahaha
rolleyes.gif

3) Each month we have a different contest. These contests can be won by anyone and are randomly picked. This months contest is for a free watch of your choice. To win you have to buy at least one watch from us. Please Contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

HAHAHA are you kidding me? You should pat yourself on the back for this one!

4)This is from Jennifer Miller from Houston, TX. "I purchased this watch as a present for my son's graduation, and he swears it looks authentic!"

This satisfied customer is George Brikowski of Seattle, WA. "I recently bought one of your new Tag Heuer S/EL watches and it's BEAUTIFUL, those pictures don't give the watch ANY justice!"

WHAT GREAT FEEDBACK!

5) There are 3 ways that you can get in touch with Premium Replicas Inc. *Our 800 number is currently down now so please contact us via E-Mail*

Hahahah The clincher! Our 800 number is down! Whos your telecom provider, your kid brother?

--I'm sorry PAL, but you're full of hot air. I wouldn't be convinced you were successful if you had a million positive feedback datums. This board is for people who are serious/civil/and successful. You are none of the 3. Take yourself, your attitude, and your taste for imitations, and see yourself to the ricerocket board. Gday!

[This message has been edited by SigEpUCI (edited 10 August 2001).]

Hey, I never claimed I was making millions. Just showing you that I am putting forth effort and earning my own money. I was forced to get a job (my parents) to occupy my other spare summer time. I am sorry if you don't like the site, I don't either. But it works okay. Thanks for your help.

I just wanted to be the 75th post on this thread!

Did we break any records yet??

Originally posted by SigEpUCI:
rolleyes.gif

What do you expect? If I had more time, I might be able to have a highly successful business, but for now the unsucessful one I have is good enough. I am 16 years of age. I am sorry to disappoint you. Thanks for the motivation!

When you guys say that an inexperienced driver shouldn't get an NSX, are you really saying that the NSX is too much power (and temptation) for a new (young) driver? I fully agree with that. However, if a young driver got a Mustang Cobra instead, would that be any better? They would be driving a fast car with handling characteristics that are inferior to an NSX.

A little late on this, but still wanted to post:

I think that there are two main reasons an inexperienced driver shouldn't get an NSX: Attitude and Statistics. Statistically speaking, as someone mentioned before, the average driver totals at least one car before the age of 21, and in my experience, almost all at least hit something. I'm glad I didn't have to face my learning curve in an all-aluminum car: If I did, it certainly wouldn't be around today.

As for attitude, I think that new drivers (most males, anyway) are overconfident, and feel they're invincible. I know that when I was 16, I could do no wrong behind the wheel (until I wrecked). This attitude generally lends to finding a vehicle's limits by going over them, and it's not usually in a safe place.

The NSX also seems to be a car that drivers "graduate" too, learning more about sports car/vehicle dynamics in the process. If I didn't get some serious driving time in an MR2, who knows, I may have lifted throttle mid-corner while test-driving that Red NSX I posted about...

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Gee, that would be too bad, since we had a chance of breaking the record for posts on a single topic on this forum. At the moment, the record still stands at 73 replies.
biggrin.gif

You know sometimes you just make me bust a gut!
biggrin.gif

When you guys say that an inexperienced driver shouldn't get an NSX, are you really saying that the NSX is too much power (and temptation) for a new (young) driver? I fully agree with that. However, if a young driver got a Mustang Cobra instead, would that be any better? They would be driving a fast car with handling characteristics that are inferior to an NSX. If a parent could put a 70MPH governor on their kid's NSX wouldn't it be a better option than a top heavy SUV?

My perspective is the NSX is such an excellent handling car that it is easier for an inexperienced drivers to drive over there ability. This is fine until a situation occurs that requires knowing how to respond instinctively. What a Miata like car allows you to do is learn how to handle these situations at slower speeds where you have slightly more time to react.

In a mid-engine car the weight transfer that occurs is completely different than that of a car with the engine located either in the front or rear. The feel of the car when it's about to let lose is much more fine. This takes experience to learn. As Ken said if your tires are getting toward the wear bar the diminsioning traction can make the NSX skate and spin like a top. You have much less feel when this is about to occur and therefore much less time to give the proper inputs to control the car.

So as far as the stang yes it would be fast in a straightline but in the turns the driver would feel them more and when the car about to lose it earlier because of the weight transfer. Therefore it would potentially temper the driving.... maybe that is....

Bottomline teenagers are total fearless! I know I was at that age. NSX with a governor vs SUV? It depends on the situation but probably not as the SUV doesn't lend it'self to racing.

Back