• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

WAX!

Hi every one. I am looking to wash my nsx tomorow and was wondering what kinda wax should i use after i wash it. The paint is getting kinda rough when i run my hand on it so i need to wax it to get that smooth clean run on it again. Can i use a really expansive wax from an auto parts shop? tHE CAR IS RED IF IT MATTERS AT ALL THANKS MUSTAFA.

If the paint feels rough, you need to clay bar the car first. A clay bar package is availabe at most car parts stores, just follow the directions. As for a "wax", this topic has been debated in depth before. Considering that you need something ASAP, I'd probably go with the Meguiars Professional line. Otherwise I highly recommend Zaino.

[This message has been edited by Dr.Lane (edited 03 February 2002).]

I think the Dr. meant Zaino
smile.gif

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

I agree with Dr. Lane, you need to use a clay bar on the car (after washing it, of course). Not all clay bars are equal; at NSXPO 2001, detailing expert Larry Emmons gave a strong recommendation to Clay Magic over the other brands. But if you need it today, get whatever brand you can find.

After that, there's another step you will need to do before waxing the car - you should clean the finish the car with a non-abrasive cleanser such as Zymol HD-Cleanse or 3M Perfect-It Hand Glaze.

Then the car is ready for a coat of wax to protect it, such as Zymol Japon or Zymol's NSX wax, specially formulated for the NSX finish.

You can buy Zymol products at specialty retail stores all over the country; you don't have to worry about reaching some guy selling it out of his home to find some today. To find the nearest retailer near you, click here.

Mustafa,

I highly recommend the Zaino products. Bill at NSXSC did a test not so long ago...
http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html

This test was done prior to the release of Zaino's new ZFX additive which makes the product all the better (dries faster, better shine, eliminates one step).

I would hold off applying a conventional wax (you would just have to remove it prior to applying Zaino) and give Zaino a try.

I'd recommend the Z5 (with the ZFX additive), the Z7 car wash and the Z6 spray (for in-between touch-ups after you wash. They also have a clay bar that works very good as well. If your paint feels rough - then I'd recommend that step.

You can reach Zaino at...
http://www.zainobros.com/

(732) 833-8800

You can order directly, or give them a call and find out the nearest reseller to you. More often than that not the "reseller" is a "car guy" or a collector who loves cars and became hooked on the product. I've found my local Zaino car (ex-detail shop owner) to be very helpful on detailing questions, etc.

Here's the basic process...

1. Wash car thoroughly with DAWN liquid dish detergent. Do this to remove all old waxes, but do it only once. Wash it with Z7 car wash after the first Dawn wash to remove any Dawn residue.

(And for you, use the clay bar during this step according to instructions. Do not use any clay bar on a dry surface. Clay always needs to be lubricated with a "soapy" wash rinse. I used the Zaino Z7 mixed with water in a spray bottle.)

2. Decide between Z2 or Z5. (I recommend Z5 for your car).

3. Mix ZFX with either Z2 or Z5 (according to directions: about 4 drops to 1 oz. Sal sends you a nice KIT to do this with.

3. Apply this mixture VERY VERY thinly to your car. Do this out of direct sunlight.

4. Remove the haze using a clean 100% cotton towel (Cannon is the best). Polish as you remove.

You're done, although you might want to apply the Z6 spray enhancer afterwards. It helps the shine but also helps to cut down on static and dust. Very nice.

Wash the car with Z7 and reapply the Z6 after each wash or as needed for touch-ups.

Have fun!

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Do we have the article from NSX Driver of about a year ago with the test results? Are the past issues of NSX Driver avialbale on the web .... ?

The Sacto Chapter plans to do another detailing day after ot 4/23 track event and we want to experiment with these products ...... While we did use the 3M cleanser, mine did not look so shiny and wet after the last detailing as Kirk Johnson's black (boo hooo) but I was using a new product as a test ........ we also applied it by hand .......

The wax test was in NSX Driver two years ago. It rated various products, for cleansing the finish as well as for protecting it. I recall that the 3M paste wax came in first, but I don't recall which cleaner came in first.

Past issues are not available on the web. Back issues are available for purchase, but this particular one is out of print.

There are a lot of very good detailing products on the market. I think that what matters most is the process you use (such as the multi-step wash, clay, clean, protect, instead of a one-step product), rather than which brand of product you use. If you go through this process to clean the finish thoroughly, and then use individual steps as necessary from time to time depending on what's needed, you can get outstanding results from any of the major brands of products, including 3M, or Meguiar's, or any brand that starts with the letter Z.

Originally posted by Hrant:
Do we have the article from NSX Driver of about a year ago with the test results? Are the past issues of NSX Driver avialbale on the web .... ?

Just found the Volume 3, No 1 issue where this was covered. 19 automotive polished and waxes were tested over 3 months ......

The conclusion was:

"After weathering one combination was clearly superior: 3M's Swirl Mark Remover polish and Show Car Wax. ...... make sure you get the paste formulation sold in a can [for the wax]. The liquid product sold in a bottle is not the same."

HTH

This is my opinion only.. Clay bars in the hands of amatures can do alot of damage. NSX paint is thin, and its easy to go through it if your not careful, especially on the edges. If your paint is rough, i'd use 3M imperial hand glaze applied by hand, then follow with a good carnuba wax. My favorie is Blitz wax made by One Grand. I like it because its EASY on and off, and will not stain black rubber parts; it just wipes off, yet it lasts reasonably long. Check out www.carcareonline.com. They are a great resource with lots of how-to articals. If you want to ask an expert, call and ask for Larry Reynolds.
YMMV

------------------
keep the shiny side up

Originally posted by mikec:
If your paint is rough, i'd use 3M imperial hand glaze applied by hand, then follow with a good carnuba wax.

3M Imperial Hand Glaze is a show car glaze. It fills in swirl marks on a temporary basis only, and it will wash off the first time you wash the car. It is intended to be used only for car shows, not as any kind of prep for waxing.

3M Perfect-It Hand Glaze (as well as their similar 3M Perfect-It Foam Polishing Pad Glaze), OTOH, is intended to cleanse the finish of oxidation and impurities prior to waxing, similar to Zymol's HD-Cleanse.

3M has a website at http://www.3m.com/us/auto_marine_aero/aad/catalog/ They have a complete line of high-quality car care products, similar to Meguiar's and the Z's; many auto parts stores carry them, or you can order from their website.

Reprinted below is the text from the wax test. One other thing - my experience with clay bars is different from above - they are very easy to use and very difficult to screw up with AS LONG AS you use a lubricant with them. All come with this in a spray bottle or you can make your own with a few drops of carwash liquid added to a water spritzer.

ULTIMATE POLISH & WAX TEST GARY MILGROM
I tested 19 automotive polishes and waxes over 3 months this summer. Tests were conducted as follows: A black NSX front hood was taped off into 13 sections. The hood was stripped using Prep Sol and each section was polished and waxed according to the manufacturer's directions. I tested several premium two-step products (separate polish and wax), some one-step products and one of the new synthetic polymer products. The hood was evaluated in a double blind test by a group of volunteer exotic car owners. These evaluations were recorded over a 90 day period as the hood sat outside in Atlanta. The weather conditions in Georgia this time of year ensured lots of exposure to bright sunlight and heavy rains. The hood was washed 15 times during the test. Evaluations took place outdoors in sunlight and indoors using a fluorescent light held close to the surface. The following products were tested:

Finish First
Meguiar's #9 Polish / #26 Wax
Meguiar's Gold Class Polish / Wax
Mothers California Gold #2 and #3
Rain Dance
Rain-X
2001 Auto Polish
3M Imperial Hand Glaze
3M Swirl Mark Remover / Show Car Wax
3M Perfect It Polish / Show Car Wax
Zymol HD Cleanse / Japon Wax
Zymol HD Cleanse / NSX Wax

Before giving the results it is important to realize that all the products gave good results. It was hard to differentiate between products unless you closely examined the paint surface - from ten feet away all looked very similar.

At the start of the test several products stood out in terms of glossiness, richness and depth of the black paint:

-Zymol HD Cleanse polish and Zymol NSX wax
-3M Swirl Mark Remover and 3M Show Car wax
-3M Imperial Hand Glaze

At the start of the test three waxes seemed to shed water better than any others:

-Meguiar's #26 wax
-Zymol Japon wax
-Zymol NSX wax

And two products seemed to shed water worse than the others:

-2001 Auto Polish
-3M Imperial Hand Glaze (product contains no wax and washes off with the first car wash)

Both of Zymol's waxes stood out as having the least residue of all the waxes tested. Rain Dance had the most residue.

Ease of Application and Removal (tests conducted 70F, 80%RH)

Finish First
EASIEST to apply, medium to remove
Meguiar's #9 Polish/#26 Wax
Hard to apply, medium to remove
Meguiar's Gold Class Polish/Wax
Easy to apply, EASIEST to remove
Mothers California Gold #2 and #3
Medium to apply, easy to remove
Rain Dance
Easy to apply, medium to remove
Rain-X
Easy to apply, medium to remove
2001 Auto Polish
Easy to apply, easy to remove
3M Imperial Hand Glaze
3M Swirl Mark Remover
Medium to apply, medium to remove
3M Perfect It Polish
Medium to apply, easy to remove
3M Show Car Wax
Zymol HD Cleanse/Japon Wax
Zymol HD Cleanse/NSX Wax

After weathering one combination was clearly superior: 3M's Swirl Mark Remover polish and Show Car wax. Due to the long lasting high gloss, deep rich color, good water shedding ability and high value for money this product is declared the winner. If you purchase this wax make sure to get the paste formulation sold in a can. The liquid product sold in a bottle under the same name is not the same wax.

Several folks are interested in Finish First's synthetic product but it did not do well in my test. It did not remove or hide small scratches and swirl marks as well as other polishes and it was not as glossy as the best waxes. People commented that the black paint look grayer, hazy and less black than the other products. It was very easy to apply and remove, even after sitting overnight. I used three applications to ensure a fair test as this product is supposed to improve with multiple applications. It did not in my test.

I found a great applicator for this test - a blue foam pad sold at K-Mart called AutoShow Polish & Wax Applicator 21. It's a scratch free 2" pad made by Armaly. They're sold in packs of two and they're cheap enough to discard after use or can be washed and reused. Highly recommended.

I am very curious about the comment on going through the paint using a clay bar. I've used clay several times on my NSXs and some other cars and never had any visible paint come off the car. Even if I ran a little short on lube, what happened was some of the clay was left on the car, which is much better than paint being left on the clay and easily cleaned up using more clay or something like HD Cleanse. I have used both Clay Magic and Meguire's clay bar. What clay brands and situations have people seen clay removing paint from the cars?

I've never seen clay remove paint. I've used Clay Magic and Mother's clay products. Both are easy to use. I've always used them with a lubricating liquid.

Check out this page.. look at the clay remarks.
http://www.carcareonline.com/clean_paint.html

Larry Reynolds is an expert in the area of car care. He appears at many car shows and events around the country. And, I have nothing to do with him or his web site. I'm just a satisfied customer.

YMMV

------------------
keep the shiny side up

Larry Emmons is widely acknowledged as an expert in detailing, and is a strong advocate of clay products. He appears at many detailing clinics and car events around the country.

I've been unimpressed with some of the advice that Larry Reynolds gives. For example, he claims that 3M Imperial Hand Glaze removes fine swirl marks and scratches, which is absolutely FALSE, according to the 3M reps themselves. For another example, he claims that Meguiar's #9 Swirl Mark Remover is non-abrasive, which is also absolutely FALSE. I really wonder how he can make so many erroneous statements on his website and still be considered an expert.

There is no universal "best" product or "best" approach. Try different products and approaches, and stick with the one that works best for you.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 04 February 2002).]

I really have to disagree with his comments about clay based on my experience and the experience of everyone I know who has clayed their car.

When I first started using clay, I used the Meguires bar specifically because it was white so it would immediately show me if it was taking any paint or clearcoat off the car. I did my entire '91 NSX with it and never saw a single trace of red (or purple, the color of the clearcoat on the red NSXs), just lots of gray gunk it was pulling out of the paint. The car never looked better.

It is true that if you heavily contaminate the bar (i.e. drop it on a dirty floor and just keep using it) you can scratch your paint, but the same is true for the sponge or mitt or whatever you use to wash it. Common sense will avoid any problems there.

I am not saying he is wrong, just that I believe he must be referring to a specific product other than the ones commonly used by folks like us... maybe some special clay designed for paint shop use that is more aggressive.

I've used the Zaino clay bay several times on various cars and never had any paint come off.

Not a trace of color appeared on the clay.

I've also talked with dozens of people who have used clay, Zaino and other brands, and no one has experienced any burn through or wear problems.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Wooooooooooooow lol its gona take me a few days to read all this and to figure it out. I thought it'll be simple but i guess not. Thanks every one. Mustafa

Back