• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wet Sanded on the paint too much. Help!

While changing my B pillars last night I decided to wet sand the edge where the bottom B pillars rest. I only sanded down a small strip less than 2mm. What can I do to get the dullness out due to wet sanding? I think I took off the clear coat off. I was thinking about just spraying some clearcoat over the small area and wet sand lightly with the lightest sand grade and use wax sealant after?

Anyone have any suggestions on how to do it yourself?

do you hv a pc or rotary to polish?
if so, a 4" medium cut pad and polish followed by a fine polish and pad should fix it unless you went through the clear.
wet sanding always leaves a very cloudy finish.
not sure if you can polish it out by hand because i hv never tried over wet sanding.
by machine it would take only a few minutes to complete.
good luck.
maybe a pic would help.

what grit sand paper did you use? I would highly suggest using some Four Star Medium Cut or light cut compound either with a PC or by hand to get the finish in order.

Considering the small size of the area, I would highly suggest going to a body shop to determine just how far you have gone through the clear, and just how much more you should do on your own, if any!

Good Luck

You haven't given enough info, so I believe that you should do the following. If you wet sanded the panel, and if you didn't see any "color" on the sanding paper you used, then you haven't gone completely through the clear. If you sanded with anything more course that 1500 grit, than you need to re-sand with finer grit, 2000 wet sand. Again, if you don't see the color loading up in the paper, than you still are just removing clear. The clear should wet sand and leave a milky looking residue on you paper. After you're done with the 2000 grit wet sanding, use a 3M Imperial hand glaze and hand rub the panel if it is small, or use a buffer with the same hand glaze to bring back the lustre. If you still see evidence of sanding scratches after buffing, than you need to either keep buffing, or go back to wet sanding with the 2000 grit. 1500 grit paper leaves sanding scratches that are still too deep to quickly buff away in my opinion. 2000 grit is my preference for the last paper cut before buffing.

Why did you start sanding to begin with?????? You created more problems for yourself. You should have begun with the buffing and monitored your results after buffing. It must have looked really bad if you started sanding before trying to buff!!!

It's really not noticable because it sits just below the B Pillar. I did see some red show up. I wet sanded with 3000?? Well, the car is 15 years old and the paint is still really good. I'll have my mobile person take care of it later.

Thanks,

Go to a body shop for advise on how to correct your possible mistake. Don't make matters worse by playing around with it yourself.

Go to a body shop for advise on how to correct your possible mistake. Don't make matters worse by playing around with it yourself.

+1.
It shouldn't cost too much for a body shop to correct. It will be money well spent to know you got it done right vs. taking a chance at making it worse yourself and costing more in the end.

Body shops unfortunately are not skilled with nor trained to perform paint touch ups. They will make you redo the whole panel, which in this case is a pillar if I am not mistaken? Then it won't be terribly expensive, if that's the case.

Post up some pictures.

This is not a good photo. Lighting is terrible doesn't do justice to my red and CF parts.

DSC00882.JPG

Back