• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What are the main reasons for buying a 92 over a 93 or 94; looking for first gen!

However let me ask all you sane people what the max is for a low mile 92? I mean would you be willing to have 41k in a 92 low miler right off the bat?
I'm new to hearing about this search of yours but I can see you put a lot of thought into it. Sounds like it's time to just take the plunge and roll with the punches in whatever you end up getting. At this point there's probably not much to research for anymore.

Would I be willing to pay $40+k for a 18yo NSX? I personally would not. Even for a low miler. This thing has been sitting for a long time. Seals get dry and most maintenance items have a change interval of xx mile OR xx time limit. Like someone said on here, you can buy a 75k miler and spend the extra money on some good maintenance work. I feel you will end up with better value. The mechanics of this car will take you north of 200+k miles anyway with the proper maintenance. So another way to look at it is that a 50k miler car is only 25% used ;). You can still find high mileage NSXs with super clean interiors and body panels.

Most of the issues you'll deal with in a 91-94 low miler ends up as just deffered maintenance anyway.

My $0.02.

This saga is becoming "too too"

I agree with ryu.

Does it really matter how low the miles are if the maintenance is behind? All that means is the seat bolsters won't be quite as worn out. New seat covers are cheaper than a major service.

Since you plan to drive it a lot anyway, any extra money you spent to get the lower mileage car will just be burned up the more you use it. $40k is too much money IMO. Even if it was still in the plastic from delivery and had all its maintenance done.

There's a lot of sellers out there that never got the memo about NSX values dropping like a rock due to the economy. They're still living in the bubble. Anybody thinking that they're going to get someone to buy a 91/92 in the mid to upper 30k range is nuts, or just holding out for the right sucker to come along. :biggrin:

I would not let mileage be a big concern. There are many of us who bought low mileage NSX's and have owned them for a long time. I bought my '94 in '00 with 6,100 miles on it and I now have 72,xxx on the car. Knowing that these cars are solid I'd have no problem today buying one with 50k-70k on the odometer regardless of it's age.

Please don't take offense, but I think you are either suffering from pre-buyers remorse or you are just too picky.

I bought my '93 in November of 2003 with 70,000 miles on the clock. It now has over 240,000 miles on it. Never a major issue.

As with most things, the 3rd is the charm. The 93 NSX (3rd model year) was the first model year that did not suffer from tranny snap ring issues and other minor bugs. Plus it's a real NSX true to the original design. Not one of those silly targa things.

The odometer on the NSX has 2 functions:
1) Remind you when to perform maintenance.
2) Humiliate other exotic car owners.

If you believe in the argument we are making which is basically that low mileage doesn't necessary mean paying a premium...Something you should also consider is the depreciation of an early NSX that's currently selling for $40k. You'll eat up your next 50k miles of value thru depreciation. Ignoring time value of money, is the next 50k miles of driving worth $15k-$20k to you? Since it seems the bottom end of the NSX market right now is holding stable at $20-30k for an early build coupe. You can drive the next 50k miles on a higher mileage car with updated maintenance and not take such a fat hit on depreciation. Now if you plan to collect this car and keep it in a time capsule.. that's a different story.

I've owned a few 60s-70s muscle cars and I first got into them for investment value as well as their simplicity to upgrade and sheer 'gangster-ness' :). The current NSX market reminds me of where the old muscle car market is now. You can buy a POS 70' Camaro for $0-2500 probably. The base value of the car is close to $0. The cars are super old so you then value the condition and the upgrades. I feel this is how you should be valuing your next NSX! (let me just say that the speculative collector classic car market is totally different. i'm talking about drivers here).

On a different note:
If you want to pay a premium for a rare color like GPW then I think that's money worth spending but I would ignore low mileage as determinent of a premium price tag.

Good luck man!

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

You know I really appreciate all the support and good information I get here. Apart from "too, too" comments and if I had 65k to plunk down on one you wouldn't be hearing from me at all, ok. I don't and this is about as important an investment second only to buying a house. Why would I just go out and buy one and let the punches start rolling over me. NOT....so what is an intelligent person's choice; it's to talk with those that have made similar decisions in the past and learn from them cause no one has time to make all these mistakes himself - oh, nor the money.

I want to get an NSX like right now - ok, so I am tempering myself so that I buy the right one and after only being at this with the NSX for 3 months I can tell you I am a whole hell of a lot smarter now than I was then. Had I been smarter - I would have owned one by now since I let a great one get away from me because I was listening to other advice I had gotten on this site and turned a blind eye to the first gen cars - now that I know more about them - I would never have missed the 17k mile white 93 with all service done+total stereo reubuild and new tires and all original paint for 36k - now would I.

But I did, so now it's time to just run out there and buy one just so I can say I have one and start spending - ummmm- no. It's not that time yet nor is it ever likely to be as I would bet it wasn't for you guys either or if it was then I'm sure you've relied heavily on other types of support here. Sure I could just get lucky, but you see you guys that bought low milers that have 75k on them are damn glad you did what you did -or are you?

Why in the world would someone with the brains and intellegence that one finds here go off half cocked - those are the suckers the guys are looking for at these dealers that want crazy money for a car. Anyway, I surely do want an NSX and I really want the right one. One that's OEM, one that hasn't had a bunch of mods, one that hasn't been run hard and put up wet! Or not, I want a good OEM car and I want a certain color and if it takes a while to find it - so what. Like I said when you only have a limited budget you gotta be smart to get the best for what you have.

Trying to identify that in the 140 cars that are out there right now is not easy. There are no cars out there right now that fit what I'd like. If anyone was to send me info on cars at this time I would tell you I had seen them or talked to the owners. You know for some of you guys that may be tired of reading my posts I have a question - why are you reading my posts?

To the others I give a world of thanks and when I finally get one I will be one happy guy and you guys will know and then you can be even happier that I am no longer asking you tons of "silly" questions. I'll have my own mechanics down here or recommended by others on this site and take care of the rest unless I run into something I have a question about and I'm sure I'll get lots of help again then.

I like these comments guys. Bottom line is - find a good one, one that has all the service done, one in the right color, one with verfiable history, and I'd like one with low miles but I'll take up to 35k miles and I'll be happy if the car hasn't been cut up for a non standard radio system or has a ton of mods I may or may not like or that costs a ton of crazy money .....if anyone knows of one in silver or white between 93 and 94 - please let me know. I'll buy it. I'm looking everyday for it. It'll come up sooner or later, right? Sorry if I'm wearing some of you guys out with this truly!

Tim
Atlanta

Thanks guys,

You know I really appreciate all the support and good information I get here. Apart from "too, too" comments and if I had 65k to plunk down on one you wouldn't be hearing from me at all, ok. I don't and this is about as important an investment second only to buying a house. Why would I just go out and buy one and let the punches start rolling over me. NOT....so what is an intelligent person's choice; it's to talk with those that have made similar decisions in the past and learn from them cause no one has time to make all these mistakes himself - oh, nor the money.

I want to get an NSX like right now - ok, so I am tempering myself so that I buy the right one and after only being at this with the NSX for 3 months I can tell you I am a whole hell of a lot smarter now than I was then. Had I been smarter - I would have owned one by now since I let a great one get away from me because I was listening to other advice I had gotten on this site and turned a blind eye to the first gen cars - now that I know more about them - I would never have missed the 17k mile white 93 with all service done+total stereo reubuild and new tires and all original paint for 36k - now would I.

But I did, so now it's time to just run out there and buy one just so I can say I have one and start spending - ummmm- no. It's not that time yet nor is it ever likely to be as I would bet it wasn't for you guys either or if it was then I'm sure you've relied heavily on other types of support here. Sure I could just get lucky, but you see you guys that bought low milers that have 75k on them are damn glad you did what you did -or are you?

Why in the world would someone with the brains and intellegence that one finds here go off half cocked - those are the suckers the guys are looking for at these dealers that want crazy money for a car. Anyway, I surely do want an NSX and I really want the right one. One that's OEM, one that hasn't had a bunch of mods, one that hasn't been run hard and put up wet! Or not, I want a good OEM car and I want a certain color and if it takes a while to find it - so what. Like I said when you only have a limited budget you gotta be smart to get the best for what you have.

Trying to identify that in the 140 cars that are out there right now is not easy. There are no cars out there right now that fit what I'd like. If anyone was to send me info on cars at this time I would tell you I had seen them or talked to the owners. You know for some of you guys that may be tired of reading my posts I have a question - why are you reading my posts?

To the others I give a world of thanks and when I finally get one I will be one happy guy and you guys will know and then you can be even happier that I am no longer asking you tons of "silly" questions. I'll have my own mechanics down here or recommended by others on this site and take care of the rest unless I run into something I have a question about and I'm sure I'll get lots of help again then.

I like these comments guys. Bottom line is - find a good one, one that has all the service done, one in the right color, one with verfiable history, and I'd like one with low miles but I'll take up to 35k miles and I'll be happy if the car hasn't been cut up for a non standard radio system or has a ton of mods I may or may not like or that costs a ton of crazy money .....if anyone knows of one in silver or white between 93 and 94 - please let me know. I'll buy it. I'm looking everyday for it. It'll come up sooner or later, right? Sorry if I'm wearing some of you guys out with this truly!

Tim
Atlanta

Are we there yet?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/too-too

Are we there yet? This from Hothonda.

Answer - not quite unless you want to sell your white one for 37K???

I see you are a gluten for punishment and are still reading my posts.

Anything helpful in mind like find one you'd buy for 37K?

Otherwise you'll be writing are we there yet for a while I imagine.

Thanks though, I know that us new guys that are trying to find our first NSX can be tedious - I'm sorry for that.

But we aren't there yet......

Tim
Atlanta

I know that us new guys that are trying to find our first NSX can be tedious - I'm sorry for that.

But we aren't there yet......

At least you are becoming educated about what type of car the NSX is. I didn't know much about the car and bought mine sight unseen without ever having sat in one.

Hey Doc,

You know what I may just be in the same position. I've never driven one but I've sat in one or 2 and I cranked the engine and felt the power thru the pedal. That's as close as i've come to driving one. Don't feel like the lone ranger.

Hey, how did your purchase work out for you? Everything going well after you got it? How would you rate that experience and would you do it differently if you had it to do over?

Thanks,
Tim

Tim go get'm.

Take your time... it makes it tougher to find what you are looking for, since there are only a limited number available... who knows how many of those are high miles or crashed by now?

It sounds like it will be something you will have for a long time.

I looked and watched for several years... mostly because I didn't feel I was in a position to take the jump. Mostly financial... a buddy of mine said, "toys should be paid in full." I more or less took hold of that... but was willing to finance.

Circumstances happened and I had to put off a purchase for another three years. Actually, I'm surprised I got the car/deal I did when I did. I fully expected to be outbid.

It is your call if you want to spend the extra money for a low mile car as opposed to less for a car in the 40k to 50k mile range.

I'm keeping my eyes open, but there aren't many options here... and I'm certain you are monitoring all the normal car sites to check for new listings.

Good Luck!

Rod

tbromley said:
Hey, how did your purchase work out for you? Everything going well after you got it? How would you rate that experience and would you do it differently if you had it to do over?

Thanks,
Tim

I got very lucky and I would do it again. However I have a uncle who is in the business and he saw the car at an auction and called me because he knew I was looking for a new daily driver. I never even considered an NSX as a daily driver, but for the price that I got the car I had nothing to lose. The only isssues I've had with my NSX are the CCU going bad and my WP started to leak so I had to do the TB/WP unexpectedly. Otherwise the car has been fabulous. I'm a risk taker so buying cars sight unseen is no big deal for me. I just bought a CLS500 off of ebay six months ago without ever having sat inj one, and that car has also been 100% perfect. I guess you just have to have a gut feeling about something and not worry about getting a lemon. Time and money can fix most mechanical issues, and luckily the NSX doesn't have too many gremilins. I avoid cars with modded engines, but some suspension and body mods are okay in my book.

Take your time but don't drive yourself, and this board, nuts about every little detail. Just take a breath say "goosfraba" sometimes. :biggrin:

Hey Doc,

You know what I may just be in the same position. I've never driven one but I've sat in one or 2 and I cranked the engine and felt the power thru the pedal. That's as close as i've come to driving one. Don't feel like the lone ranger.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim... Today you tell us who have taken the time to respond to multiple PM novellas & posts you've composed asking for advice, insight & help, that you've still never driven an NSX! If you are serious maybe you need to take the first step.

You've done enough mental masturbating over the NSX to last most people a couple lifetimes.

Don't wash your right foot, you might forget what the "power thru the pedal" feels like sitting in someone's driveway....

Crikey!

I have a spare Formula Red/Black '93 sitting in my garage with 65K miles on it. It's bone stock except for the wheels and an aftermarket sound system. Maybe we should make Tim buy it!

Hothonda, I had never driven nor sat in an NSX until the day I bought mine. I showed up with cash to buy it after only having seen the for sale ad here and it driving down the roads near me a couple times. Just because he hasn't driven one doesn't mean he isn't serious.

So far everything has been perfect. With the amount of time I spent reading the forum during the 9 months or so leading up to the purchase I already knew exactly what I was getting myself into, and I knew it was the car I wanted.

I know what you mean about waiting for the right car. It just happened that the one I wanted was for sale before I was ready, so it took a bit of smoke and mirrors to pull it off. I'm lucky that I didn't have to wait a year for the perfect car to come along.

Guys, Guys, (not the ones that know what I'm talking about)

I would truly love to drive an NSX and maybe if I lived near one of you like Hothonda you might let me drive yours! Gee how nice would that be! Nice of you guys to offer but no one that I know here has offered. But hey that's really ok.

How old are you guys, pink poodle and hot dude, I mean if all you guys want to do now is push me into a car - whichever, whatever color, just to get me outa here, I mean what's that about? Is it because you've been there and done that and have no idea what a real car guy is all about and to chastise me for not having driven an NSX when they are about as plentiful as monkeys swinging in the trees in GA. It's not like going to the dealer and driving a Chevy now is it.

Cosmo get's it, so do some of the others, I agree that I fret over details but you know something - I have had some really nice cars over my years and it's not because I'm speedy Gonzales. It's because I take my time, but in the case of the NSX search, I would like one so much that I look at cars I know I should just pass on but like some of you guys say - just go out and buy one- I think that maybe if I look at it differently then perhaps I can talk myself into it - unfortunately I can't. I have an idea of a car that I'd like but more importantly I'm looking for the right owner. Find the owner and you find the right car. That is one of my secrets- so do you know how hard it is to find the right owner to buy from in the price range I can pay? It's damn hard.

Fortunately I have already met some really genuinely nice guys here on the site that are more my age (59), and they understand me completely. I'm not the young buck that wants super sonic speed and will take a highly modified car - they aren't for me. I want a nice OEM car, that has been maintained by a person that I can talk to and that's taken the kind of care of their car that anyone could appreciate. I am on the search for the right car for me - I'll know it when I see it.

So for this string, I believe I've played it out and worked it so long that guys like Hot dude and pink poodle are after me to do something else with "thier" time. You guys getting tired? I mean you do have the choice to stay off the string if I or my conversation bothers you. I'm really sorry I can't fit into your mold. It's just the way I am.

I'm going to look in more solitude keying in the guys that I believe understand what I'm doing and I'm really going to try and not disturb you two dudes with my conversation as I guess maybe your the self appointed "thread" police. I must be rocking someones boat unknowingly.

Any of you that have something for me to look at, great pm me. Thanks to Cosmos and some of the others that have chimed in. LIke I say because of some of the threads I've started I have just met some really super guys. So maybe it's time I just talked with the guys that I relate to and leave the others alone, although somehow I don't think Hot dude or pink man speak for everyone. We all have our own agendas and we all can't fit into a perfect mold that some have conjured up for the new NSX owner to be.

You know I could take some of that advice if I was spending your money - sorry, I'm spending my own. I'll try and not commondere so much time from you guys in your busy schedules. Sorry if I've offended anyone.

Signing off now, some will get emails from me and I know now how to get my info. Folks are nice enough to respond to my requests for info, thank you all, I appreciate your time, I don't ask any one certain person to respond I just get responders. I can't help it that others are responding and some really want to help. I appreciate that more than you know.

Tim
Atlanta

There was a Red '95-T at Foreign Cars Italia in Greensboro a few months ago. Just go over there and drive that one. It'll actually be a tiny tiny bit slower than a '91-'94, but you'll get the gist.

If I were picky, I'd go with a '93 or '94 since they had some little bugs worked out by then, but otherwise they're basically the same as the '91-'92s.

I wouldn't pay much attention to mileage either (unless you have full documentation). A lot of older NSXs have had odometers rolled back.

Tim,

I say this with respect for your enthusiasm over your future NSX purchase and respect for your general enthusiam with automobiles.

My wife used to have a very good girl friend. Crazy, that one - fast life, drugs, dated all the wrong guys, and every time things went bad she's come ask my wife for life advice. What to do. When my wife would give her straight advice, she'd say ok and then go off and do what she wanted to do. After a while my wife cut her loose.

It's sorta like that here - you ask alot of questions and get many opinions from the people here. After a while, if you keep asking questions and not heeding people's advice, they will start losing interest in your quest (i.e. become tired).

This board is full of smart and enthusiastic people, just don't take it personally if they aren't as enthusiastic or obsessive about your car purchase as you are :)

Good luck with your NSX purchase - there are right and wrong purchases but as far as exotics go, it's not that risky of a purchase if you follow some basic rules of purchase. My last bit of advice for you heed or not, set a timeline for purchase and don't make it too long - you'll drive yourself crazy obsessing about 50K miles vs 15K miles, reliability, cost, etc. Just think about all the time you spend looking for that perfect one, when you could be out there ripping up the roads and *really* knowing what the NSX is all about!

Regards,
Brad

Tim, I just caught up to this string today. We traded notes a couple weeks ago.

If the dealer car is still on your radar I believe the number he's reading off for you is the engine number, not the tranny number.

Check the Wiki here because there is very detailed information there on exactly how to locate the tranny stamp. I believe the engine numbers on early MYs start with "A" and "B" characters and have an actual sticker/label as you've described.

In any event, good luck finding your dream car!

-Chris

93 coupes are the fastest, lightest, and most reliable NA1 coupe out there:biggrin: Put nice intake, exhaust, and some headers, and you'll be right up with the NA2's with no squeaks or rattles from the t-top.:biggrin:

How can the 93 be any lighter than a 91 or 92? I don't get it; red or not?

I thought they were all the same till 94, is that not true? WHy would they be more reliable?

Is there something that the 91s are known for? What are the issues particular to the 91 and 92?

Last edited:
The most significant change is the addition of the pass airbag, center console arrangement with cup holder and the A/C system. My 91 has had the evap changed out but I am still running R-12.

I would think the 91 & 92 would be lightest because there is no pass airbag.

The 91s are known for being the first year and are the most plentiful. The white 92s are very popular because of the capability of making a NSX-R clone.

It all depends on your personal preference...

As per wiki...

Changes for 1992
New Color: Grand Prix White

Changes for 1993
Added cup holder to center console; console cover got two separate openings.
Added Passenger Side Air Bag
Changed Rear Alignment to 2mm less toe-in to improve tire wear
As a result of passenger air bag, drastically reduced size of glove box.
Reconfigured center console (gives you the illusion you have more space but not really).
Improved warranty coverage from three years or 36,000 miles to four years or 45,000 miles
Switched A/C system from CFC-based R12 to ozone-friendly R134A

Changes for 1994
New Color: Brooklands Green Pearl
Keyed roof color to body color in late-year green cars (first 9 greens were with black roof). The last green with a black roof is 0031. 0032 (and all others) has a green roof.
Dropped Color: Sebring Silver
New Interior Color: Tan
Dropped Interior Color: Ivory
Removed "DOHC VTEC badge" on center console cover
Changed wheel design from 5-spoke to 7-spoke
New wheel color: Solaris Silver, paint code NH-536M (a gunmetal gray color)
Increased Tire and Wheel Sizes to 215ZR45/16 on 16 x 7" Front and 245ZR40/17 on 17 x 8.5" Rear
Gear cut method changed to reduce gear noise
Color-keyed the rear wall of the interior tan for tan interior cars (previously black on ivory interiors).

Tim - you are seriously killing me buddy! i know i know... whatever you do makes no impact on my life whatsoever and yes.. why do i continue to read this thread. LOL. i don't know it's like a bad train wreck or something. c'mon man.. you need to drive one at least. don't you test drive your women before marrying them? jk.. don't answer that.

but you're seriously KILLING ME! :) :) :)

Back