• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What did YOU pay for your NSX? (and when?)

Hello NSX Owners,

I'm thinking of getting a NSX in the future and I've been just reading up a lot on the forums to learn more about car. I got really interested in the car after watching some of the Best Motoring videos as I gained a rich knowledge of the history and the capabilities of the NSX... and I have an agenda of owning rare cars for some reason haha.

I currently own a 2010 Exige S240 and a 1995 RHD STi RA version II imported from Japan. I've been saving up money for a FAST car (something along the lines of a GT-R or anything else with 400-500hp), but I guess I "grew up" a little bit and is thinking that a car's driveabillity and it being a "driver's car" is more important than straight line acceleration... kind of like my Exige. It does have 300hp for 2100lbs though, which is pretty quick and handles like nothing else I've driven.

I'm hoping to make the NSX my daily. My Subaru (DD at this time) has a firmer suspension than the Lotus and doesn't have A/C and it being a 300whp turbo, it is a gas guzzler. However, I've been having a really hard time grasping the "value" of the NSX. Depending on the mileage, it can range from $25-80k it seems. Mileage is not much of my concern as long as the maintenance is up to date. Mods aren't an issue as long as it's subtle, like a NSX-R conversion or basic bolt-ons. I don't plan on making the NSX a garage queen... cars are meant to be driven!

If you don't mind sharing how much you paid for your car and when, with mileage/condition, that would be helpful (only in manual transmission and cars in the USA). I just don't want to lowball anyone on this forum when the time comes, which is going to be within the next 6-24 months (I'm currently deployed at the moment). I personally think that anything over 100k miles for early Gen 1 shouldn't cost more than $30k unless it had an engine rebuild or extensive modifications, but let me know what you think of what a reasonable cost for a NSX should be. I'm more interested in GEN 1s since I really like the pop-up lights and the affordability. Leaves room for saving money on a supercharger/turbo!

Last edited:
price of the early NSX's have been on the upward trend and new models are going up even quicker. When you are ready to buy, then see where the market is. Early NSX's have been at 25-35k range for over 15 yrs. Probably will be there for another 15 yrs.

Last edited:
Welcome. Hope you will be able to buy the nsx you want for a good price but be prepared for the high asking price, especially on prime. Everyone wants top dawllars for their cars. Nothing wrong with that, however.

Welcome. Hope you will be able to buy the nsx you want for a good price but be prepared for the high asking price, especially on prime. Everyone wants top dawllars for their cars. Nothing wrong with that, however.

And this is a good thing b/c once he becomes an owner, he'll know what it feels like to own an exotic where the value is strong and holding.
Unlike other cars where the value already drops from $3-$5k after signing the paper work.:biggrin:

I got mine for 36k its an 94 with 81k kms. Previous owner added ro-ja rims and a aftermarket deck dvd gps whole thing. .... He needed the money from 42 to 36 :)))

Thanks for the reply everyone! Just keep them coming :)

And this is a good thing b/c once he becomes an owner, he'll know what it feels like to own an exotic where the value is strong and holding.
Unlike other cars where the value already drops from $3-$5k after signing the paper work.:biggrin:

Hey now, my Lotus is "somewhat" of an exotic haha. Good thing is that Lotus stopped making the Exige (at least the US) so it hasn't been depreciating as much.

I'm sure I'll get really attached with the NSX. I've been having thoughts on selling the Subaru, but everytime I see a picture of it or see it in my garage, I don't think about it anymore :) Just a quick snapshot:

1995 Sti RA version II. Replaced newer headlights, grill and aluminum hood.. still version 2 bumper. Painted Lexus LFA "Whitest White"

Just Bolt-ons, smaller pulley, and lots of carbon fibre bits... super loud little car

My ride at work... only if I could keep it in my garage...

Last edited:
My ride at work... only if I could keep it in my garage...[/QUOTE

I'd say "sweet!" but the Apache is too evil looking a beast for that - quite the ride nonetheless.

I'm not going to be much help for you as i dont live in your neck of the woods, but can i say nice chopper!
Since you own a RHD car (the correct side to have a wheel on :) early auto NSX's are selling in Japan for around $30k to $35k NZD if that is of any help to you, a couple of them just got imported here.

nadaguides.com seems pretty accurate.
I just priced my 1997 a few weeks ago with 130,000 miles, and in good condition, I think it said $44,000ish?

nadaguides.com seems pretty accurate.
I just priced my 1997 a few weeks ago with 130,000 miles, and in good condition, I think it said $44,000ish?

Well, the only issue with Nadaguides is that you can't input the mileage on there. Yes, it says "average" retail, which is the car in operable condition and in presentable fashion. However, mileage is a good indicator on the wear of the powertrain and other components of the car. If you input 130,000 miles on Kelly Blue Book, "Excellent" is $29,318.

While many argue that KBB/Nada values are not accurate, I think it's a good baseline. The issue is that the value of the car, disregarding the rarity, differs from person to person to a great extent. I have no issue with that since it's the seller's decision to price it, but the car is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Thanks for the input everyone! It's like a treasure hunt looking for NSXs on a daily basis :)

Last edited:
Pricing for the NSX has remained very steady for at least a decade now, with the exception of 2008 where prices fell by about $5-10k. Prices have gone back up to normal pricing though.

Just about any NA2 (1997-2001) you can find will be in the $40k-60k range depending on miles and condition. Only a few examples can be had for less, and even then, pricing is close to the $40k mark.

I would not use KBB at all for a car like the NSX. I do not think it is a good baseline either.
If you price a 1993 NSX with 100k miles on it, KBB gives you a value of $24k-27k. Actual pricing for a car like this would be $30k-35k.
If you price a 1993 NSX with 200k miles on it, KBB gives you a value of $15k-17.5k. Actual pricing for a car liks this would be $18k-22k.

Purchased - 2010
Year - 1996
Miles - 149,000
Price - $29,000

$24k in 2007 with 35k miles. NO accidents. Just needed a clay bar and Zaino.

bought from a friend that both of us met when we were RX7 guys.

Now he has a 335 and R8 v10 - both convertible

Anyone jelaous anyone?

That looks like a great deal! Jealous of you both.

How do you compare the RX7 to the NSX? I've been eyeing those for the longest time now. Did you have a FC or a FD?

I had a FB, 3 FC's and 3 FD's. All junk compared to the NSX.

The prices are really all over the place, the best advice I could give is to spend at least a few weeks cruising around ads to try to get a feel for current trends. Getting pricing information from guys that bought their cars 4 years ago isn't going to reflect the current market.

PS, I love your work vehicle!

Bought mine in 08, paid half of whats its worth now :)

I paid $24K with 105000 miles on my 1992 in 2011, no accidents and bone stock, just needed the Window seal by the drivers outer door handle replaced. This meant buying the entire outer door handle, freaking expensive fix.

Bought 10/10/2013 a 1997 yellow/black with 111,000 miles in very good condition for $32,500. I got a very good deal!!!!!!

Bought 9/2007 a 1995 red/tan auto with 65,000 miles in very good condition for $37,000.

Last edited:
Well, the only issue with Nadaguides is that you can't input the mileage on there.

Yeah you can. Just verified.
http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1997/Acura/NSX-T/2-Door-Targa

The single best measure is just to search the for sale section of this forum.
What cars are actually selling for is the best measure.

While many argue that KBB/Nada values are not accurate, I think it's a good baseline.

I don't think KBB actually does market research.
Pretty sure they just stick a generic depreciation algorithm against the start price.
Shoot, going by bluebook, my 66 mustang is worth $500....
Have to do actual market research...

Last edited:
That looks like a great deal! Jealous of you both.

How do you compare the RX7 to the NSX? I've been eyeing those for the longest time now. Did you have a FC or a FD?

FD was lighter.

50/50 weight distribution

Like the NSX both cars (for me) were often mistaken for more expensive cars (FD= Viper or Italian and NSX = something from Italy)

FD had a better instrument cluster where the tachometer was in the very center.

NSX has better fit and finish.

NSX has better MPGs.

NSX has more electrical gremlins (especially when you modify and start to move things around) than the FD. I pressure wash my FD engine bay while the car is running. Shoot 2000 psi right in a moving alternator and not a hiccup. FD is like a hippo - loves water.

FD has a less dated look.

- - - Updated - - -

FD was lighter.

50/50 weight distribution

Like the NSX both cars (for me) were often mistaken for more expensive cars (FD= Viper or Italian and NSX = something from Italy)

FD had a better instrument cluster where the tachometer was in the very center.

NSX has better fit and finish.

NSX has better MPGs.

NSX has more electrical gremlins (especially when you modify and start to move things around) than the FD. I pressure wash my FD engine bay while the car is running. Shoot 2000 psi right in a moving alternator and not a hiccup. FD is like a hippo - loves water.

FD has a less dated look.

6052_1127914196400_817540_n.jpg

6052_1127913196375_1030383_n.jpg

149357_1581655419647_1992531_n.jpg

Yeah you can. Just verified.
http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1997/Acura/NSX-T/2-Door-Targa

The single best measure is just to search the for sale section of this forum.
What cars are actually selling for is the best measure.

I don't think KBB actually does market research.
Pretty sure they just stick a generic depreciation algorithm against the start price.
Shoot, going by bluebook, my 66 mustang is worth $500....
Have to do actual market research...

I agree. Thanks for the link.

Thanks BATMANs for the comparisons.

Back