• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What did YOU pay for your NSX? (and when?)

To answer the original question, my first NSX was a 1992 Grand Prix White that I bought with 82K miles for $32K back in 2003. My second NSX I bought a 1992 Berlina Black with 47K miles for $32K in 2011. I have no regrets about my first GPW, and no major regrets about my Berlina, other than I kind of wish I had a lighter color NSX instead of Black. Black looks good, but tough to keep clean. My 3rd NSX if/when I sell this Black one will be a lighter color.

Rebuilding a RX7 engine is way easier and cheaper than a NSX engine.

What do RX7 engines last though? Isn't it only like 60,000 miles between rebuilds?
You'll go through 5 RX7 engine rebuilds before the NSX MIGHT need 1....

A sick car is an RX7 with an LS motor. I was thinking about getting something like that.
There's forums just for that, with people selling their built rides.
http://www.norotors.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=gnim5kkdobh208tksnmct1pjr5&board=11.0

DSC05078_zpsd8cf8ea4.jpg

Last edited:
The RX7 engines are made of 3 moving parts. Very simple compared to the piston counterparts.

My engine failure was due to the learning process and (at the time) being the first and/or risk taker in pushing the engine power.

Basically, it popped from detonation.

I never lost an engine due to cooling issues since I upgraded the radiator ASAP.

Tuning has come a long ways for the RX7 nowadays. Same with the Apex seal designs.

Look up Rotary Aviation seals. That was my last set and they stopped blowing up. I eventually sold the FD for $15k with 250k miles on the chassis. Everything was tuned right. Had a bunch of upgrades and was making right around 430rwhp on pump gas at 15psi.

Not bad considering that the car was lighter than the lightest NSX variation.....

I was on motor 10 when I sold my Blue FD.

Most guys opt for a $2,500 reman and pay $1,000 to install it. If you want yours rebuilt, it can climb pretty quickly if you want porting done or if you have damage to your housings, plates, rotors or e-shaft.

My last 700 HP motor lasted 2 years before I sold it.

$25,300 for my 92 with 60k miles in 2012

$22500 for my 91 with 73K miles. No service history. Clean Carfax. 5th owner. Purchased 04/2010.

$25k in 06' for 91' with 79k miles

I purchased the car from a prime member last February. $18,500.00 for a 91 with 230,000 miles. In great condition, well maintained, no problems. Best purchase I have made in years. Had cash in hand, waited for the right car and purchased it within days of the listing.

rx7s suck. Good idea. Bad implementation. But no more talk about a bad car...

32.5k back in 2000.

rx 7 love. 1st gens rock!

$34500 for a 93 W/24K bought in 1996........
and I'm not brand loyal but, comparing an RX7 to an NSX is an insult to the Honda.....just sayin'

I find this thread completely fascinating!!!! There are entire other threads dedicated to how to best skirt around responding to strangers asking what you paid for your NSX and many sellers also erase their asking price in their FS ads for some reason (with other threads dedicated to complaining about that!!!).

IMHO as fun as this thread is to read (it’s the first one of its kind to my knowledge, with acutal prices being offered), this is an awfully dangerous and potentially misleading thread for NSX shoppers, lol, especially in regards to the OP's intent.

I'm thinking of getting a NSX in the future and I've been just reading up a lot on the forums to learn more about car.
I just don't want to lowball anyone on this forum when the time comes, which is going to be within the next 6-24 months (I'm currently deployed at the moment).

I can tell that most responses here are from owners who got deals that they’re super happy to talk about (understandably!!) while owners who paid “above average prices” (raises my hand) aren’t chiming in so much. Both types may be outliers but we're only reading about the one side of the bell curve lol...

NOT critiquing the responders at all – I kinda love this thread actually - but I definitely am suggesting to the OP & other shoppers: don’t get too hung up on great deals you read about and then risk passing up an NSX that’s exactly what you want but a few $grand more than that awesome deal so-and-so got... That type of paralysis analysis and trying to match someone else can keep you out of the game for too long, so just watch out…</SPAN>

Or FWIW: I'm suggesting to the responders - are you holding back on any unique aspects to your deal that drove the low number and/or not talking about the $thousand$ of repairs or maintenance done within the first year to get the car back up “even.” Was the seller generally unknowledgable or desperarate or ?? I know of several NSX’s during my own search that were bought for $26k +/- $1k but then got $3-4k+ in timing belt/maintenance/tires, etc… Some of whom have responded in this very thread, lol! :)</SPAN>

I know for many there’s a time in life when budget matters a lot, and that's smart to not overextend. And for others, there's a time where a switch flips inside and suddenly you’re less concerned about getting the very best $deal$ and instead are more focused on getting the right car at the price that makes sense for priorities and financial situation. That switch flipped for me during my 2 year search actually; I started in Dec 2010 being very budget-conscious and initially passed up some really attractive NSX's that were $3-4k more than some "really good deal” I read about. In particular, I was a bit paralyzed trying to match the deal by the buyer of "Casper" in a 2009 FS ad here on prime - 1993 GPW low-miles all-updated, $37k asking price, etc. I wasn't placing enough emphasis that Casper was a 1 in 10,000 opportunity and also during the doldrums of 2009 and lowered demand and lowered prices...but didn't matter and it paralyzed me for a while until I "came to Jesus" after dealing with a few wacko sellers trying to get "the sell of a lifetime" (opposite of this thread) and I started worrying less about saving a few $grand and more about finding the right car for me that would make me not worry about not getting a killer deal...</SPAN>

Sorry to sound like a wet rag, because I love this thread actually. Very refreshing and the first of its kind like I mentioned. But it would be very cool to read more of the full story and not just the buy number…how much did you pay for maintenance/repair in that first year…did you know that was needed at the time of purchase and was that worked into the deal… Were you just in the right place at the right time or was the seller desperate or a good friend, etc. Was it an ebay buy w/o a reserve. It wasn’t that long ago that I was a frustrated shopper and I'm just trying to prevent the OP from misleading himself. Also, going after the right, quality NSX should be "money in the bank" with zero depreciation in case you are forced to sell....holding out for the best deal may delay yinz and also risk being more of a money pit....
</SPAN>

I was thinking the same thing, Yinz. A few months ago I posted a request for pricing for an ongoing price registry project. I even offered to keep the user and vin confidential for those who did not wish to share that info. The registry would only include model, year, mileage, color, state of modification, general condition, general maintenance history, and state where sold or purchased with (optionally) the month and year of the sale. You would have thought I asked for the source code to Windows 8.

I have managed to track most of the actual sales from ebay motors for the last few months and after I have a year of history I will put that up. I will probably include the credible entries from this thread as well as other sale and purchase prices members are willing to share.

By the way, I paid 26 for a 91 with 80K miles a couple years ago but I paid about another 1500 for maintenance before I picked it up. Prices have gone up for 91s over the last 2 years.

It really comes down to finding the car that works for you and getting a price you can handle and that seems reasonably fair.

Back