• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What did YOU pay for your NSX? (and when?)

i was going to applaud the members that just came out and spoke honestly re how much they paid for their cars. normally its super taboo on prime and i was expecting nobody to respond (from on previous threads).

imo prices look fairly accurate to the cars 'real life selling price' based on what i have seen first hand in the past 2 years (in canada). here, where the asking prices are normally even higher then usa, the most recent 2002 40k miles nsx that sold 2 weeks ago (from reputable acura dealer) sold for 47k in 2 days. admitted it was a deal price since winter is coming soon; but i have yet to see a single clean 02+ in that milage range go for a grand or 2 more then 50k here up north (admittedly asking prices have gone up in the past 2 years). the 60-70k asking price nsx dont move for years; but there was an nsx that had about 10k miles that did indeed sell in the 60s.

good luck in your search sizzflair!

Last edited:
I normally keep what I paid for my NSX to myself, but there's no reason other than long habit. In the spirit of the thread, I paid $30,000 for my '95 with 56k miles in 2005.

Another valuable data point for someone looking to buy. In 9 years I've spent an additional $37,000 on repairs, maintenance, and upgrades. :eek:

And another $15,000 for gasoline, but who's counting?

I bought my 96 on February 2009 for $38,000 with 30,400 miles. The car had a clean carfax and title. I didnt get any service records tho. I cant believe its going to be almost 5 years I have owned this car. Man! Where does the time go?? I must of been having to much fun lol.

I normally keep what I paid for my NSX to myself, but there's no reason other than long habit. In the spirit of the thread, I paid $30,000 for my '95 with 56k miles in 2005.

I do the same but really only when someone at a car show or C&C yells out, "Hey, how much does this thing cost?"

I purchased my 2005 Rio Yellow for $56,000 on Halloween day in 2009. It was a two owner with 16,200 miles with service records. It was absolutely flawless. The car was an ebay listing. I bid up to $52,00 but didn't make the reserve. I contacted the owner and negotiated the final price. The car was originally sold in Palm Beach and has always been a Florida car.
I feel fortunate to have bought it at that price. The economy had crashed and NSX prices seemed to be at a low point. The car now has just over 26,000 miles.

I paid about 1/3 up from the condition 2 line towards the condition 1 line on the hagerty valuator for a 1993 w/17,500 miles, 100% OEM, full records, recent Larry B maintenance, no accidents, 1-owner...I paid asking price as there were too many positives, it included a bunch of extra stuff, it was within my budget and close enough to fly out & drive home (no shipping needed), and the negatives were minimal - tires were ready for replacement, radio and HVAC are a little wonky.

I found the hagerty valuator tool to be a very accurate during shopping, as I would compare recent sales to the hagerty charts while shopping.

And myw - what's up with that Avatar?? Is there an NSX behind the front seats?

Last edited:
LOL. not exactly sure what this means.... but if you guys may be wanting to make the switch to 911, compare/assess nsx vs 911 value/dollar, or want to compliment their nsx with a p-car i can post my 911 specs/price no problems at all.

no nsx for me in this lifetime unfortunately; but living my childhood dreams through you lucky gentlemen.

i see a porsche avatar...

And myw - what's up with that Avatar?? Is there an NSX behind the front seats?

Last edited:
I think the common wisdom on the "Bargain" NSXs (high mileage, need maintenance, etc) is that you're going to end up with $25,000 - $28,000 in the car regardless.

If you pay less than that in the purchase price, you'll make up for it in immediate maintenance (say 1st 12-15 months) or all of those small repairs that add up.

For an interesting point of reference, I paid $16,500 for my '92 with 206,000 miles on it in October of 2005. I made the mistake of adding up receipts a a couple of years ago after getting the car fully functional and track-worthy (still with a couple of cosmetic items) and I had probably spent another ~$8,000 over 3 years between replacement parts, labor for timing belts, a head gasket job, a couple of other bigger-ticket items and a LOT of small stuff. I did the VAST majority of the labor myself (aside from the t-belt and head-gaskets) otherwise the figure would probably have been twice that in shop bills alone.

That figure ignores any "mods" so doesn't count the KWs, Advans, or any other doller-consuming upgrades.

I paid $21000.00 CAD for mine in Aug of 2012. 86000 miles, It was clean carfax and came with one service record lol. Since then I've but about $5500-$6500 in repairs and mods. In retrospect I should have waited and bought a nicer, cleaner nsx. But I love it and love to work on it.

- - - Updated - - -

I paid $21000.00 CAD for mine in Aug of 2012. It was clean carfax and came with one service record lol. Since then I've but about $5500-$6500 in repairs and mods. In retrospect I should have waited and bought a nicer, cleaner nsx. But I love it and love to work on it.

Last edited:
I think the common wisdom on the "Bargain" NSXs (high mileage, need maintenance, etc) is that you're going to end up with $25,000 - $28,000 in the car regardless.

If you pay less than that in the purchase price, you'll make up for it in immediate maintenance (say 1st 12-15 months) or all of those small repairs that add up.

For an interesting point of reference, I paid $16,500 for my '92 with 206,000 miles on it in October of 2005. I made the mistake of adding up receipts a a couple of years ago after getting the car fully functional and track-worthy (still with a couple of cosmetic items) and I had probably spent another ~$8,000 over 3 years between replacement parts, labor for timing belts, a head gasket job, a couple of other bigger-ticket items and a LOT of small stuff. I did the VAST majority of the labor myself (aside from the t-belt and head-gaskets) otherwise the figure would probably have been twice that in shop bills alone.

That figure ignores any "mods" so doesn't count the KWs, Advans, or any other doller-consuming upgrades.

Unless ur me. I think NSX prices in one of the most expensive part of the world do depreciate more. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Unless ur me. I think NSX prices in one of the most expensive part of the world do depreciate more. ;)

What the hell, I've been refraining in case I ever want to sell it, but I'll chime in...

I paid $23.5K for mine in June of this year. 1992, GPW, 5 spd, 143K miles. I know I COULD have found a better deal (and had a seller back out on me only a couple weeks prior), BUT this one had almost $6K in recent updated maintenance done. Everything was up to date. I know what the owner paid for it too (thanks google/prime!) and with what he had into it, I wasn't going to argue. Especially since he came down quite a bit from his asking price with just me asking "what's the bottom dollar? I'm a serious buyer and don't want to play the game" he told me, I was happy with it and sent a deposit that evening. Of course, as it works every time you're trying to sell a car - he said he had offers from people all over the country offering more than I was paying, but we had already made a deal.

In the end, I was happy, he was happy (but I could see the sadness in his eyes as I looked in the rearview driving away) - my first drive was 1600 miles home in it and it ran flawlessly. Everything I'd have had to do to another one (or wanted to do to be safe) was completed already and It has been an awesome car thus far with just over 145K on it now. I cannot complain one bit. Around here, I know I could sell it for more, because there are absolutely none locally. However, I have no intention of selling it so I'm going to drive it when it's nice out and enjoy it for a long time to come, with the addition of some tasteful, and reversible, mods :)

Last edited:
If ppl really want to best answer the OP's question, I still feel that reporting buy prices, year bought, and mileage here must instantly be treated with a +/- 20% factor since those 3 things are only 1/2 or even 1/4 of the picture unfortunately. Things like (at a minimum) the base info req'd in the FS ads on Prime would help make more sense of buy prices: any accidents, bodywork, paint, recent maint/service done, req'd maintenance needed soon, condition of wearables, any mods, etc? Any missing OEM parts? Was transporting it required? Were any special circumstances at play - a friendship, an uneducated seller, a seller who gave the buyer a huge break for whatever reason... A lot of these things can sway the sale price a lot. I do know some buyers got deals of a lifetime where the "stole" the car for whatever lucky reason (all the more power to ya!) resulting in a 20-50% swing on a $50k+ car.

Last edited:
I bought my '02 NSX directly from the dealer. Although it had never been titled, it had about 2,400 miles on it. The dealership's owner apparently liked the car and drove it frequently. I bought it in 2003, titled new, and it was of course, bone stock. I paid $14,500 for it, plus gave them a BMW M5 in pristine condition with only 9,538 miles on it. Base price on the M-5 was $73,874 then. I'd added some stuff, so I'm not sure how helpful this is.

I've talked to a lot of NSX owners and I will say this: While nearly all of us spent a great deal of time on what to pay for our NSX's prior to purchase (after all, we don't want to get taken and the cars are rare-ish and don't get traded that often, and when they do, the price is not always public info.) BUT most of us don't care much about it AFTER we have an NSX. The cars tend to be so intrinsically out ahead in value, something you can only appreciate after you own one, that whether you got it for $1 - 5K over or under what you think you should have, it just doesn't matter. While my M5 was a fine car, what the NSX does for me every single time I get behind the wheel is in a completely different league. Is this making any sense?

I guess what I'm saying is, focus on finding the right NSX for you - in the condition you want, the year you want, even the color. Then buy it if it is at all in the general ballpark of what you think it should be. It will likely be $500 - $1500 over what you think it should be. Don't worry. A year later, that $1500 will be long forgotten and you'll be grinning every time you get in your car.

Steve

^last two paragraphs x100.

Though for sure, budget does matter at times in life, and $5000 can be a huge deal especially for those in the first 10 years of their career, roughly. It was a big deal still to me 10 years ago and I held off on an NSX until $5000 wasn't a big deal and the time felt right for me. If $5000 is still a big deal, then cancel cable TV & eating out often for a year, prioritize/save, window shop NSX's and get edumacated as much as possible, be sure an NSX really makes sense in your (& your partner's) life, then follow every word in Steve's last paragraph to the exact 'T'

Listen to this man. If u can afford it, don't let a couple thousand bucks stand between u and your dream car, because a year or two down the road, a couple thousand bucks dont really matter.

The cars tend to be so intrinsically out ahead in value, something you can only appreciate after you own one, that whether you got it for $1 - 5K over or under what you think you should have, it just doesn't matter. While my M5 was a fine car, what the NSX does for me every single time I get behind the wheel is in a completely different league. Is this making any sense?

I guess what I'm saying is, focus on finding the right NSX for you - in the condition you want, the year you want, even the color. Then buy it if it is at all in the general ballpark of what you think it should be. It will likely be $500 - $1500 over what you think it should be. Don't worry. A year later, that $1500 will be long forgotten and you'll be grinning every time you get in your car.

Steve

2003 silverstone/onyx in 2011 with 32K on the clock--fresh timing belt/clutch for $45,000. That car was rear ended and totaled 6 months later and insurance paid me $63K :biggrin: If you shop judiciously you will always come out ahead financially on these cars. That being said......I totally agree with Steve Larsen. Buy it AND DRIVE IT

My second NSX (red/tan) was a 2005 with 12,250 miles on the clock---purchased 8/2011. I sold it two years later with 29,000 miles on it for $2K more than I paid for it.

I'm on my Third NSX now (2003 LBBP/Onyx-CTSC) which I bought in March 2013 with 28,000 miles on it (fresh timing belt/wp).......now has 36,000 (yes, I drive it daily). I don't have a doubt that it will eventually sell for more than I paid for it. The $$$ might go away but the :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: will remain forever.

JUST DO IT

Last edited:
NSX 1: 1992 NSX, 88k miles, $24,500, on Dec 24, 2004 (from dealer). Sold in may 2010 for $24,000 with 128k miles (100% maintenance complete and upgraded wheels, new clutch, exhaust, and a few other things.

NSX 2: 2000 NSX-T, 44k miles, $35,000 (damage on title and fortunate inherited car of a friend of mine), in march 2012.

What will NSX 3 cost...

Back