• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is your current daily driver

I could've sworn I've seen this thread before but couldn't find it through search.

I was considering buying a 96 BMW 750il, and read some horror stories on their maintenance records and now am thinking twice.

What is everyone driving as a daily driver (if not their NSX), and for those of you that own a 740 or 750... what do you think? Should I take the plunge and buy one?

Thanks!

Mike
------------------------------------------
91 Sebring Silver/ Black NSX
99 White/Tan Miata

i like it.....but NOT the newer version.

sanchin said:
I could've sworn I've seen this thread before but couldn't find it through search.

I was considering buying a 96 BMW 750il, and read some horror stories on their maintenance records and now am thinking twice.

What is everyone driving as a daily driver (if not their NSX), and for those of you that own a 740 or 750... what do you think? Should I take the plunge and buy one?

Thanks!

Mike
99 White/Tan Miata

Are you sure you wanted a 12 cylinder 750il for a daily driver??...It's really a nice and rare BMW if you have lots of many to spend for gas everyday!

:D :D

I have a LX470 and a 4runner for my daily driver...I wish i have a civic as a daily driver...

I was hoping to get a nice sedan with class for a daily driver. From what I have heard the V12 isn't too bad gas mileage wise.

What do you think of your Lexus?

Any suggestions for a daily driver that is driver oriented, has enough space and looks good?

My DD is a 97 Audi A6 Avant (wagon). It is a great comfortable car. 20MPG, and one of the best AWD systems available. It was very secure and fun to drive in the snow.

However, being German, it suffers from burnt out bulbs, faulty switches, and oil leaks.

Nope... but I was trying to avoid going the SUV route. I'll definitely take a test drive since I've never driven one before though.

MikeC: What are the 97 Audi A6 Avants going for nowadays? how reliable is it?

sanchin said:
Nope... but I was trying to avoid going the SUV route. I'll definitely take a test drive since I've never driven one before though.

The X-5 performs like a sport sedan . I test drove Lexus, Infinity, BMW, Benz, etc cars and SUV's and chose the X-5. Great on dry, wet, or snowy roads and lots of space to carry things around like my two dogs. The X-5 is also very fun to drive if you like a sporty feel.
I had been to the Benz dealer and the Lexus dealer and at the end of the day I ended up at the BMW dealer driving the X-5. With the exception of the NSX in a different context the X-5 was the only other vehicle that I drove and said "this is what I want an SUV to be". Please drive one and let me know what you think.
BTW... I am talking about a 4.4 not a 3.0.

I would run and hide from the 750 - they are very well documented to be maintenance nightmares.

I had a 97 740il that was so troublesome, I've sworn off of BMWs. I acknowledge the fact that they are great driver's cars, but the problems more than detract from the fun. Every week it was something else, and when those cars are out of warranty, be prepared to shell out $2k every time something goes wrong.

There are many better choices for a luxury sedan than a 7 year old moneypit.

Good luck!

Todd

LeftLane said:
I would run and hide from the 750 - they are very well documented to be maintenance nightmares.

I had a 97 740il that was so troublesome, I've sworn off of BMWs. I acknowledge the fact that they are great driver's cars, but the problems more than detract from the fun. Every week it was something else, and when those cars are out of warranty, be prepared to shell out $2k every time something goes wrong.

There are many better choices for a luxury sedan than a 7 year old moneypit.

Good luck!

Todd

BMW now gives extended bumper to bumper warranty coverage on most used models they sell. The coverage BMW offers is as good as the original factory warranty and extended out 50k miles. I don't think they offer it on a seven year old car though.

sanchin said:

Thanks!

Mike
99 White/Tan Miata

Hello,

I may be able to answer that. I have had a love/hate relationship with my 98 740IL.

I bought the car brand new, and the car depreciated like running water. This is a bad news for someone like me, but if you are in the market for a used one, it is a great news.

Personally, I think that the car is fabulous. Although V12 in 750 is nice, I believe that you will be equally happy with V8 740. Both engines have amazing torque, and you can even burn some tires with the traction control off. The space and amenities in the car are simply amazing, too.

However, it has some electrical flaws. If you were to get one, I would suggest that you look into 99-01 740I w/ sports option. That car drives like 540, yet much more roomy and luxurious than 540. Also, purchasing some extended warranty is a must on these cars.

Please check the following board for more information (it has a wonderful group of 7 series enthusiasts):
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e38/

BTW, my wife drive A6 Avant quattro daily, and she loves that car!!

3.JPG

6.JPG

The BMW certified program gives cars under 50k miles and less than 6 years old a total warranty of 6 years/100k miles. If you can buy an extended warranty on this car, it will be money well spent. However, the experience you have with your BMW dealer will suck, I promise.:mad: You will have plenty of opportunity to get to know the service advisors very well.
:confused:

I drive an E46 M3 in both summer and winter. Snow tires in the winter and no problems.

The extended warranty for certified preowned models is not bumper to bumper. The bumper to bumper is for the standard period including the full service. The 6 year plan is primarily for drivetrain.

If you modify the BMW in any way, the dealer may state that the modification resulted in the problem. My radio started buzzing and they wanted to blame it on the radar detector which was hard wired to the battery, not the radio. Wanted to bill me to "check" it out and if they damaged the radar detector, they would not be liable.

Lesson: Arrogant company which finally took responsibility for the blown engines in the E46 M3. Originally, the said the engines were blown because of the "driver" or incorrect oil (recommended oil - 10W60 only available from dealer at 12 dollars a quart) even with the SMG transmission. They finally fessed up and said it was due to faulty parts

That said, its still a good car.

How about a '95 Taurus SHO. I owned two and they were great sedans with a sleeper look. The Yamaha V6 produces some good power and the 5spd is a blast to drive. The seats were also one of the best that I've sat in delivered from the factory.

If you haven't driven one try to to so. You'll be very surprised at how hard it pulls.

sanchin said:

MikeC: What are the 97 Audi A6 Avants going for nowadays? how reliable is it?

They go for anywhere between $8K and 16K. Probably around 12-14 for a good one. I think it's alot of car for the money. It's a bit low on power (172HP), but makes up for it in handleing. They are expensive to repair, but if you get a good one the drive train is good for well over 200,000 miles.

If you get a bad one, you'll be sorry you ever laid eyes on it.

YMMV

Originally posted by sanchin

[advertisment]
Do you want something with outstanding build quality from a company with an even higher rating than Acura? Something with AWD and can handle itself in all weather and all conditions? How about 320 horsepower, .87g's on the skidpad, 4-wheel disc brakes, and 0-60 in 6.3 seconds? Navigation system, nice leather interior with brushed aluminum trim, DVD player, and all the other amenities afforded to a luxury car? How about all of this in a vehicle with stunning, masculine good looks, and is a fairly rare sight out on the road? Sound too good to be true? Head on out to your Infiniti dealer and try out an FX45. It may look SUV-like, but leave all your prejudices behind.....there's a sports car underneath that skin! I settled with a loaded FX35 because I wanted the V6 instead of the V8, but I love this car! I get nearly as many looks in it as I do in the NSX!

gal_fx45_lrg05.jpg

[/advertisement]

I've got an '01 330Ci with sport/premium packages. I love it, but be SURE to get the sport package and manual tranny for the best driving experience.

That being said, I have had a couple minor quality issues. The leather is wearing prematurely, the window mouldings were replaced and the car is still not even to 30k miles. Also, the power steering is a on the light side (unique to the 01 model year).

All considered, I would say I am very happy but a little concerned with the long term viability of the car. I typically keep cars for about 10 years and I am coming to the end of my bumper to bumper warranty .

My plan is to keep it unless I experience any quality issues. If I do, I am high tailing it back to the Acura dealer for a TSX or TL-S.

I was using a 1995 E36 BMW 325 Sedan. That car was fairly unreliable. I was not the first owner, but total that car was on its 3rd tranny. Just before I trade it in for an 04 Lexus RX330 (Which is my daily for now) the ABS compressor was going bad and and the ABS light would always be on, the SRS system had a fault so the SRS light stayed on, I was told the wondow regulator could go at anytime and the window would fall down, many blow fuses due to worn down insulation on electical wires (This is the most porbably cause after reading the BMW forums) many tail light sensor failures, failed tail light brake switches (Which is common on the E36). Over all, I was glad to get rid of the BMW. I'd say consider BMW only if you have a nice good warranty. Lie someone else mentioned though, BMW seems to like to try and get out of a lot of warranty coverage. I think they'll blame everything they can before the give in.

WOW...not even close to any of my experiences with BMW. The total opposite in fact. It did take them a few appointments to fix a problem but overall I have been very happy. Their service is top notch and they even fixed about 1000 dollars worth of things 10k miles out of warranty.
Are the experiences that you guys had recent? Maybe they have stepped up customer satisfaction. A few days after each service appointment I will receive a call from the dealer asking how the appointment went. About 2 weeks to a month later I get a call from BMW NA headquarters with the same questions.

For the last 2 1/2 years my daily driver has been the 94 325i in my sig. That car is currently for sale since I got a 2004 TL/6MT.

If you are considering a new car, the TL is a great value. Some early build issues, but most can be worked out in short order.

Not as much fun to drive as the BMW, but the NSX has eliminated the need for a daily driver with track ability.

A CPO 540i or 740i would be a good choice, as would an X5. I was blown away by the X5 and almost got one over the TL. I probably will buy one in a few years when they have depreciated some more and I can afford 3 cars. BTW, I think the X5 3.0 is good enough, but a 4.4/4.6/4.8 would be nice.

I have Volvo Cross Country dog hauler / snow mobile. I put 4 Artic Alpin snow tires on this thing and can get through anything (snow banks, mud, slush). It has been reliable, trouble free and fun in the winter.

I have owned it for 4 years and 95 k miles (since new in 99). Everytime I think about selling it for something else I balk. However this spring I may replace it with a Volvo V70 R.

I also owned an Audi Allroad 2.7T. It was very nice and much nicer finish than the Volvo, but it turned out to a reliability nightmare. I had replace the transmission at 10 K miles, then discovered an upper oil pan issue. Needless to say, after months at the dealership I dumped with 17k.

If you want a sedan, check out the Infiniti G-35 all wheel drive, something else I am considering driving.

Good luck

daily driver?

My NSX is my preferred DD, however it's not too practical with the weather we've been having the past few years, so with my daughter away, I have reclaimed my 1997 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon with 91,000 miles. The funny thing is my wife and I argue about who's going to use it (the other choice is a 2000 RX300 with 41,000 miles on it). The Subie is actually better in the snow than the Lexus. The way it usually works out is if it's going to snow, my wife takes the Subie as it's easier to clean off than the RX300 (I park underground so it's no problem either way). I would rather drive the NSX and will take it out when the roads are clean during the winter, as I still enjoy driving it when it's cold out. I do take extra care as the tires feel like rocks:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

As mentioned earlier, my goal is to look for a used reliable sporty feel sedan, and so far I have a few cars I'm looking forward to test driving this weekend.

New
BMW X5 4.4
Infiniti FX35

Used
Audi A6 avant
Taurus SHO (If I can find one... I've heard they're rare in the northwest)
Volvo CrossCountry

After everyone's feedback, I guess the BMW 7 Series is out of the question. It sounds like a reliability nightmare.

Anyone have experiences with the Infiniti Q45?

Back