• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What kind of shift knob do you like to use?

I agree with turbo2go the best for weight, feel, look is the 04-05 ball which I have on mine I have tried a bunch of other ones but this is the best.

now....... to buy one from the dealership is off the chain, and mine is starting to wear a little, and then I see that knitted sock... Oh my god do I need one.

can your wife make me one Skippy Ill even drive down to buy one from her.

I went with the CR S2000 knob for an extra gear lol. I like the feel.

DSC_2981.jpg

Funny but I have never thought about the weight of the knob in relationship to shifter feel.I use a pretty light stalk type razo shifter from my ricey days....works fine and I do shift in anger a lot during track days:confused:

I actually use 2 different shift knobs depending on how I plan to drive that day, both from the same company.

- If I'm driving more casually, I tend to rest my hand on top of the shifter when changing gear so I use a spherical shifter:

http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftknobs/a6-leopard-shiftknobs.php

- If I'm planning on a more spirited drive, I will grab the shifter vertically so I prefer a taller shifter:

http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftknobs/twm-piston-shiftknobs.php

Both knobs are very heavy (over 1lbs each) which is heavier than the 04-05 knob for sure and makes for very smooth shifting. They're a bit on the pricey side, but their quality is top notch - highly recommended.

For the Piston shift knob, I also went so far as to custom powdercoat it (piano black with the 3 rings paint-matched to my Spa Yellow). I don't have a pic of it at the moment but IMO it looks great, provides more grip, and regulates the temp of the shift knob much better.
I agree with this i have two different types like mentioned above both are nicely weighted however on the track the longer one is better for fast shifting yet the round one sort of just fits when resting your arm on the center glove box and cruising along, none of mine have the gear shift pattern on them and i got the longer one from SOS.

I don't use a shift knob, I like that threaded skin feeling when driving a stick..............lol

Funny but I have never thought about the weight of the knob in relationship to shifter feel.I use a pretty light stalk type razo shifter from my ricey days....works fine and I do shift in anger a lot during track days:confused:

You should definitely try a weighted shift knob if you haven't before. The increased weight smoothens out shifting action substantially, especially if it's countersunk (weight towards the top of knob).

Yes...Ricks spun aluminum countersunk. Had it in my S2000 and kept it when I sold the car. Now it sits atop the NSX shift lever. 170g of loveliness.

Went back to OEM leather shift knob after years of having the billet teardrop knob....burned my hand too many times when the car parked outside in the hot California sun.

I love the stock one but short shift kit with the stalk cut 1" and the stock shifter bored so it can be threaded nearly to the point of coming out the top. I love it... Would post a pic but I am in a hotel far away...

I just ordered this last night (pics aren't mine). 1998 ITR shift knob and boot. Part numbers if anyone else is interested:

Knob: 54102-S30-N21
Boot: 83414-ST7-Z10ZA

***Note that part numbers may be incorrect though on Acura parts sites, they say that the knob and boot are compatible. I had to shave a bit of plastic on the knob clip and boot clip.***

102_6851_copy1.jpg

102_6488_copy.jpg

Last edited:
I edited my post above. I had to shave off some plastic where the knob and boot clip together so they can mate.

IMG_20140904_112037323_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140904_112013589_HDR.jpg

SoS teardrop - nice weighting, feels good in my hand.

Back