• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What makes you Happy?

I have days of unhappiness, but i try to keep them in check. But i am grateful everyday for my health strength. When i get off this drillship and i'm home, firing up the nsx and driving it in the evening with the top out is in my top 3 things that make me happy. Hitting the powerball would put an extremely big smile on my face.:biggrin:

I used to live a life style that allowed me to be happy.

But now I obey the law, work many hours a week at a good paying job, and have a loving wife.

If I go back to being happy, I will lose all the things I now hold dear.

I have a buddy getting out of prison next Monday and he is heading to a half-way house. He spent a long time in there for spending a long time prior being happy.

Still, I miss being happy. :biggrin:

This is an awesome thread... it hasn't digressed into a religious debate, but contains many truths. I think MATMBL hit the nail on the head -- it's relationships. For me it's especially my relationship with God. Knowing 'about' Him was fine for many years, but knowing that the God who created the entire universe cares and wants to be actively involved in my life.... that kind of realization will change your life forever.

Oh yeah, and reading the funny comments you guys post on NSX Prime makes me happy too. :D

I would say the word "Happy" is a lot like the word "Hot". It's on a scale. Is it hot when it's 80 degrees? Relative to 32 degrees, yes. You can also get used to temperatures. If you grew up in Richmond, 90 degrees is hot. If you grew up in Texas, maybe not.

So maybe the answer isn't to seek 1 thing that can raise your happiness permanently from 32 degrees to 80. Maybe instead you need to be surrounded by things that just add 1-2 degrees.

One thing I enjoy is taking the S turn onto the highway every morning in my NSX. For 2 seconds I feel like an F1 driver :)

Hi

What makes me happy? Beeing everything I can be and be able to be just that makes me happy.

Yes, I got a lot of limitations. I will never be what I was supposed to be or had the opportunity to be. But, I find joy in whatever is left and is gratefull to all that is left of skills, possibilities and abilities.

For those that do not know where I am coming from I went down hard with my head first into asphalt in an accident april 2007. Things was not looking good at all with 6 fractures to my skull and a brain that was not having a good time at all.

I have come a long way since then and I think I have gained some perspectives on life. Things will never be as they where. But I try to make this 2.0 version of life into something that makes me even more happy than I was before the accident.

If you have the need to believe in something larger than yourself I salute you. Good for you. I believe in myself. I will prevail. I am sure I will.

Sometimes it will not be easy. Sometimes it will feel impossible. What I know is that in the end I can do it. Yes we can..well actually I know _I_ can. It will take some more time and it will be harder. But I will prevail and victory will be mine.

Actually victory is already here. I was down. But I fought my way back and I am pretty much back to when nothing seemed like a problem. The confidence had a real bump. And the ability too. But what I lack in ability now I have gained in momentum and will to do it.

This whole mess has made a huge impact to my life that is for sure. But I have proved for myself that I can adapt and make the best out of what is left. There are things left and I use what is left in the best way I can.

The battle will never end. But I am not the one that just lays down and resignes. That is not how I tick.

So what makes me happy? Beeing here and seeing that I can do things with what I have makes me happy. I focus not on the things I can not do. But on the things I can do.

I was without a license from april 2007 until september 2007 because I had "Marty Feldman" eyes and I was not safe to drive. It made me happy to have that legend in my garage for those months and gave me strength to push on. And that one day I would drive the silver princess again.

Regards

Money won't buy you happiness, but it will take care of a lot of things that can make you sad.

I like this response. Did you copyright it? If not, can I use it in the future?:wink:

Knowing this, and living your life in this way, will bring you ALL of the happiness that you are missing. Why? In the simplest of terms, the stresses that fill your life will begin to vanish as you start to realize that it isn't really "you" in the driver's seat. "you" do not have to overcome the daily challenges of life, fight the things that frustrate you, or take personally the times that you fail. It's God (and His Holy Spirits) in the cockpit, and everything He does is part of His Plan.

Well somebody needs to play the devil's advocate (pun intended.......)

Although I can respect your views, I find being a "devout atheist" more liberating and thereby more amenable to assisting in a search for "happiness", whatever that may be. I realize that I am responsible for all my actions and understand I am accountable to everyone now thereby creating a sense of ethics and morality based upon personal responsibility rather than a fear of "eternal damnation". Often times "faith" and blind allegiance to dogma results in persons acting, or refraining from acting, out of "fear" rather than sincerity in "living a good and moral life".

I can find inner peace and happiness not being tied to a belief system that questions the beliefs of others who may disagree with their own. I realize that I must act to resolve any problems rather than pray and hope they dissipate through "divine intervention" thereby achieving a sense of personal gratification, aka "happiness", knowing that I struggled and overcame. I don't sit back for several years watching a parent lose dignity through a major illness and say "it must be god's will" and instead become proactive to try to restore a quality of life rather than rely upon "faith" that there is a reason someone has to suffer.

I see no rational basis for conflicts among countries whose main differences are encapsulated in religious beliefs. I will never understand why so many wars have been waged in the "name of god".

I cringe at hearing someone describe a kindly act toward a stranger as the "christian thing to do", thereby implicitly suggesting that someone of the hebrew faith would somehow be incapable of a similar act of kindness. Why cannot acts of kindness simply be the "right" or "decent" thing to do without thoughts of being rewarded with everlasting happiness in an "afterlife"?

I am not looking to get into a heated religious argument or start any flaming on such an acknowledged sensitive and highly personal issue. However, I did want to chime in with an "opposing" point of view that I find it easier to achieve relative levels of "happiness" in all aspects of life by not being "burdened" with a dogmatic ball and chain weighing me down.

I cringe at hearing someone describe a kindly act toward a stranger as the "christian thing to do", thereby implicitly suggesting that someone of the hebrew faith would somehow be incapable of a similar act of kindness.

Well if it's a hebrew person then it's mentsh. :)

1) Good Health
2) Good Relationships
3) My family
3) Dear Friends
4) Good Job
5) Nice House
6) Food on the table

and... a happy ending at least 3 times a week. :)

Although I can respect your views, I find being a "devout atheist" more liberating and thereby more amenable to assisting in a search for "happiness", whatever that may be. I realize that I am responsible for all my actions and understand I am accountable to everyone now thereby creating a sense of ethics and morality based upon personal responsibility rather than a fear of "eternal damnation". Often times "faith" and blind allegiance to dogma results in persons acting, or refraining from acting, out of "fear" rather than sincerity in "living a good and moral life".

I can find inner peace and happiness not being tied to a belief system that questions the beliefs of others who may disagree with their own. I realize that I must act to resolve any problems rather than pray and hope they dissipate through "divine intervention" thereby achieving a sense of personal gratification, aka "happiness", knowing that I struggled and overcame. I don't sit back for several years watching a parent lose dignity through a major illness and say "it must be god's will" and instead become proactive to try to restore a quality of life rather than rely upon "faith" that there is a reason someone has to suffer.

I see no rational basis for conflicts among countries whose main differences are encapsulated in religious beliefs. I will never understand why so many wars have been waged in the "name of god".

I cringe at hearing someone describe a kindly act toward a stranger as the "christian thing to do", thereby implicitly suggesting that someone of the hebrew faith would somehow be incapable of a similar act of kindness. Why cannot acts of kindness simply be the "right" or "decent" thing to do without thoughts of being rewarded with everlasting happiness in an "afterlife"?

I am not looking to get into a heated religious argument or start any flaming on such an acknowledged sensitive and highly personal issue. However, I did want to chime in with an "opposing" point of view that I find it easier to achieve relative levels of "happiness" in all aspects of life by not being "burdened" with a dogmatic ball and chain weighing me down.

Wow, extremely well said. I agree with everything you said.

Hi

Very well written. I wish I could express myself in such a way.

I do not want to make this into a discussion about religion. But I want to tell the following story.

The doorbell rang. It was a guy from jehovas. (It could have been anyone).

He asked if he could come in and tell me about Jesus and all that he could do for me. I said that I believe in myself and that it has worked for me since birth.

He said "okey thanks for your time. Bye bye".

I thought it was kind of funny. We are responsible for all our action. I can not write as good as you can. But I think that we have the same approach to life.

Regards

I am not seeking to start a deep religious discussion here either, so I will only respond with a question:

How many wars would have been waged, and what would civilization look like, had 95+% of the population throughout history *not* been grounded in the morality taught by religion?

You don't need to answer that because you can't. Just think about it. :smile:

How many wars would have been waged, and what would civilization look like, had 95+% of the population throughout history *not* been grounded in the morality taught by religion?

You don't need to answer that because you can't. Just think about it. :smile:

I would also point out that you can not answer this question as well. Like you write, it's an interesting thought experiment, but neither of us can give any definitive answer.

Okay, my turn.

How many of those wars would never have been waged if 95%+ of people did not have a religion cause to wage the war over to begin with?

Ski, you are claiming that religion has fostered a morality that has lead to "better" wars?

I am a God loving/fearing man, but I simply don't care for your logic or where you have decided to direct this thread with your line of questioning. See you later guys, I'm out.

My point is simply that most of the time religion brings morality, purpose, and afterlife-consequences to peoples' actions. Of course there have been times in history when religions have been corrupted for disingenious purposes (worldly power, warfare, or simple hate) and those times have resulted in bad wars.

Businesses, governments, and social organizations have all fallen victim to the same problems, its just the consequences haven't usually been as historically significant as have religion inspired wars.

I love how most people find god in jail after they kill someone. This is just from what I have seen but the biggest douchbags have a fish on the back of the car and will flick you off when they cut you off on the way to church.

Driving Lucille on a damp, wide open, twisty road. Just enough moisture to get the tail step out on when I want!

A Scooby Doo marathon on Nick, and I'm talking old school Scooby, 1969-1973.

Sitting outside at a restaurant or grill with my gumbas, drinking an adult beverage or espresso.

Sitting (or walking around) with my wife, holding hands. Past tense, unfortunately.

I am a man of simple pleasures.

Miner

Back