• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What to do in Chicago?

Hello Chicago primers, I'm a German NSX enthusiast and will be in Chicago for 3 days (from 03/30/10 to 04/01/10). Could you guys tell me places I must see. Will stay at Hilton Suites Hotel, 198 East Delaware Place.

I hope to see a few NSX on street, especially 02+ NSX which are very, very rare in Germany.

Thanks
Marinko

It all depends on what you like to do. If you like art museums, go to the Art Institute. If you like architecture, go on an architecture tour with the Architecture Foundation of Chicago. If you like zoos, go to Lincoln Park Zoo or Brookfield Zoo. If you like walking around big cities, walk down Michigan Avenue and walk around the Loop. Check out Millennium Park.

For more ideas, click here.

Don't expect to see any NSXs on the street. They're rare here, too.

Thanks Nsxtasy.

Art museums are not my preferences. I'm a philistine:biggrin:
I will arrive early afternoon on tuesday. I plan to watch the Bulls on tuesday evening and go out for dinner with my wife. The 2nd and 3rd day are not planned right now. I think 1 day I must offer for shopping with my wife (I promised her:frown:) How is the weather now?

This time of year, the normal high is 51F, and the normal low is 32F. That's about how it is today, too. This time of year, we could have a sunny day with temperatures of 70F or more (like it will be this coming week), or we could still have significant accumulations of snow.

You are in the best location for shopping along North Michigan Avenue (the "Magnificent Mile").

Last edited:
70F sounds good. Yes, my wife tolds me, that we are in shopping heaven (Michigan Avenue). I think I should forget my credit card, knowingly. :biggrin:

Chicago is known for their deep dish pizzas..popular spots are Uno's, Giordanno's (sp?), and Due's (at least when I was there way back when). One of my favorites was in the "hood" south side of Chicago...Ricobene's Pizza...awesome unique corn crust. Many cops go there so you know it's a good dive.

They are also known for their street hot dogs, gotta have one. Have a good time.

Jeff

There are two different styles of deep-dish pizza. Single-crust "pizza in the pan" was introduced by Uno in 1943 and the best spots for it are the original locations of Uno and Due, Lou Malnati's, Pizano's, and Gino's East. Don't go to other Uno locations, as the quality of the "Uno's Chicago Grill" franchise is not as good as at the original Uno and Due in River North. Double-crust "stuffed pizza" came along in the 1970s and the best spots for it are Giordano's, Bacino's, and Edwardo's. Ricobene's is not very good. And the yellow cornmeal crust is characteristic of Gino's East, not Ricobene's; perhaps you're confusing the two?

Wherever you go for deep-dish pizza, you can phone ahead with your pizza order to avoid waiting 30-45 minutes while seated for your pizza to bake.

There are two different styles of deep-dish pizza. Single-crust "pizza in the pan" was introduced by Uno in 1943 and the best spots for it are the original locations of Uno and Due, Lou Malnati's, Pizano's, and Gino's East. Don't go to other Uno locations, as the quality of the "Uno's Chicago Grill" franchise is not as good as at the original Uno and Due in River North. Double-crust "stuffed pizza" came along in the 1970s and the best spots for it are Giordano's, Bacino's, and Edwardo's. Ricobene's is not very good. And the yellow cornmeal crust is characteristic of Gino's East, not Ricobene's; perhaps you're confusing the two?

Wherever you go for deep-dish pizza, you can phone ahead with your pizza order to avoid waiting 30-45 minutes while seated for your pizza to bake.

You are right. Gino's east w the cornmeal crust. Although I liked Ricobenes back in the day...15 years ago!
Jeff

You gotta see The Bean....................

http://photography.robertondrovic.com/Art/The-Chicago-Bean/1794597_o7oA9#89617675_Uoz28

89375694_ajnsP-L.jpg

89374590_WQJP2-L.jpg

89617816_CAdh5-L.jpg

89374437_jNVPd-L.jpg

89617675_Uoz28-L.jpg

Last edited:
To see this:
picture.php

Go to: E Solidarity Dr, Chicago, IL - you can google the adress.

If you want to take your wife for a romantic dinner you may go to John Hancock Center, The Signature Room at the 95th.
this is the view from the restaurant
picture.php

more info about this place: http://www.signatureroom.com/

Last edited:
If you want to take your wife for a romantic dinner you may go to John Hancock Center, The Signature Room at the 95th.
The view there is fantastic. The food, not so great. A lot of folks go there for a drink, then go elsewhere to eat.

If you want to go for a romantic dinner with a great view, there are two places I recommend. Everest is in the south end of the Loop, about 1.5 miles south of your hotel. It's on the 40th Floor of the Midwest Stock Exchange Building, and has a great view looking out on the entire city. The food is contemporary French/Alsatian from Chef Jean Joho, and it is fantastic. It also has a huge wine list, including the best selection of Alsatian wines in the country. It's formal (jackets required) and fairly expensive (figure $150-200/pp with moderate alcohol and tax/tip) but worth it. North Pond is in the middle of Lincoln Park (the park itself, not the adjacent neighborhood of the same name), two miles north of your hotel. It faces its namesake pond, with the city skyline looming over the opposite shore; the renovated building formerly served as a warming shelter for ice skaters on the pond. The food is contemporary American from Chef Bruce Sherman, and it is excellent. It's fairly casual (jackets not required) and mid-priced ($100/pp).

If you want to stay within a short walk of the hotel, Spiaggia, NoMI (in the Park Hyatt), and Avenues (in the Peninsula) are three of the best restaurants in Chicago; all are expensive, jackets-required places. For outstanding food that's more affordable (and a fairly casual atmosphere), I love Cafe des Architectes, on the ground floor of the curving glass facade of the Sofitel. The contemporary American food from Chef Martial Noguier is outstanding. And it's surprisingly reasonable; they have a 3-course prix fixe menu for $42 every night, and on Sundays through Tuesdays they offer a 3-course "neighborhood friends menu" for $29.

Last edited:
two thumbs up on ginos east!! There is a Hofbräuhaus that just opened by my house on North Ave if you want a little taste of home. Or at least you can tell me how bad of a rip off it is from the real thing, lol. Don't plan on seeing any Nsx's though, I've only seen 3 on the streets in the last 8 years I've lived here. I'd take you for a drive around the city but my car is all apart right now. Hope you have a good time.

Last edited:
First of all, I would like to give thanks to all you guys for all the input.

Chicago is fantastic. Had 3 wonderful days. Saw the Bulls vs. Suns match on tuesday evening. Great atmosphere, huge stadium not to compare with german basketball arenas.

Atsecond day we did a great sightseeing tour with the hop on hop off double decker bus. First hop off was at the Willis Tour. The weather was fantastic, so we had a great view. Second stop was the Millennium Park and the Bean (thanks RSO 34). The third stop was Navy Pier. Had a lunch at Billy Goat Tavern before we hop on the bus again. The last stop we did at the Magnificent Mile. I allowed my wife to shop a little:wink:.
At the evening we went out for diner at the Hard Rock Cafe. I can't remember, when I ate so much I did at these evening. The evening ends with a visit of the Excalibur Nightclub.

At the third and sadly last day of our Chicago Trip we shopped again, cuz the 2 hours the day before wasn't enough.

During the 3 days in Chicago, I didn't saw any NSX on the streets. A lot of Porsches and Mercedes SL, 3 Bentley Continental, 1 Lambo and 1 Maserati. NSX is really a rare car, not only in Germany.

Bye Chicago. I'll be back for sure.

Back