• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What true buffer swirls look like

I purposely swirled up this Lexus hood, single stage paint, to demonstrate, visually, what swirls are, also called "halograms".

Many people call every imperfection in their paint a swirl but this is not the case and if not careful one can attack their paint as if they have swirls but in reality they may only have light marring, which can be taken care of through less aggressive means.

Here is the hood...

swirls3jb.jpg

I introduced these swirls into the paint with a wool cutting pad and a rotary.

angleswrls2fb.jpg

Can they be removed and the finish restored? Sure it can with the proper pads, products and a little technique. The technique is in the use of the rotary and knowing what pads/products to use at what time. The philosophy behind it is that the finer the pad and product the fewer the swirls.

aftr8xt.jpg

Thank you,
Anthony

single Stage? so no clear coat? Hate to see no clear coat on a Lexus.

Good work BTW. What did you use to fix it?

Yeah....buffer swirl can be seen by going and looking at almost any used car of dark color on a dealers lot. Their 'detailers' are usually doing more damage than good when they clean a car. :(

fkong777 said:

I believe only the black Lexus color during certain years had no clear. All the other colors are cleared and I'm not exactly sure which year blacks don't have the clear as well. It could be somewhere around the 98-2002 years, and maybe still today but I'm not sure.

fkong777 said:

Wow..my bad for overlooking your question and I apologize for not replying sooner.

I introduced the swirls in this test hood to test a new compound being developed by Optimum Technologies, to compliment their Optimum Polish. Swirls were introduced with a wool pad and removed using mainly foam pads, one foam cutting pad and two foam polishing/finishing pads.

I used the new Opt compound with the cutting pad which removed 90% of the harsh swirls. Slight swirls were left behind and these were them removed with Opt Polish and the finishing foam pads.

Anthony

I took my Black 92 to a detailer that was recomended by a bodyshop and after they were done i still had a semi dull finish and in the sun you can see millions if very small scratches so i took it back and they said "oh you cant get thoes out its a black car your allways going to see that stuff" I was puzzled how the detailers at the dealer i worked at could make a black NSX look new and these "pros" could not..so i think I'm going to get out my direct drive that i have used on lots of other cars i have owned (non black cars) and do it myself ...what products and pads Does MR Orosco recomend?..JZ

zahntech said:
I took my Black 92 to a detailer that was recomended by a bodyshop and after they were done i still had a semi dull finish and in the sun you can see millions if very small scratches so i took it back and they said "oh you cant get thoes out its a black car your allways going to see that stuff" I was puzzled how the detailers at the dealer i worked at could make a black NSX look new and these "pros" could not..so i think I'm going to get out my direct drive that i have used on lots of other cars i have owned (non black cars) and do it myself ...what products and pads Does MR Orosco recomend?..JZ

Hello,

Welll without seeing just what you are working on it is hard for me to reply in a direct manner. I can though respond in a broader range.

For polish I would go with Optimum Polish. It is the best polish I have used in all 16 years of my detailing career. Little to no dusting, super long working time and it is what I have coined, a "spectrum" polish. This means it can be used with a wool pad to remove 1500 grit sanding marks and then it can be used with a polishing pad to remove the wool pad swirls and then used with a fine finishing pad to produce a swirl free ready to wax finish, all with only one product.

For pads I highly recommend Lake Country pads or Optimum pads. Both compnaies make an "orange" power pad. This is an essential pad to have as it cuts almost like a wool pad but will finish out almost as well as a polishing pad. This means less marring to polish out in the nest stage.

If going with the Optimum pads then get one orange, one blue polishing and one ultra fine white pad along with some Optimum polish.

Lake Country I would recommend one orange, one white polishing and one black finishing.

Optimum can be reached at www.optimumcarcare.com Tell David you spoke with me and then let him know what you need.

The Lake Country pads can be bought here www.topoftheline.com

If you need any help please let me know,
Anthony

Back