• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What would have made the new NSX sell better?

yep...Porsche is an aspirational brand to the myriad of the 5% .....it also provides versions that appeal to track-hounds and luxury buyers......smart.

They should have used a detuned F1 "hybrid" powertrain for RWD only and no electric motors on the front wheels.

The detuned system would still be somewhat reliable. It would still be a "hybrid" sorta. It would have clear racing lineage ties for marketing.

I've driven the new NSX and do not like the steering artificiality at all. It is quick though.

a years supply of scones with every car........

Many Acura's past and present....very happy with our sales & service relationships.

My impression with dealers and the NSX (past & the present '17) is that it was/is a necessary evil.

$10 million in inventory w/ 1 or 2 unsold 2017 NSX's is peanuts.

Last edited:
I don't think the 911 sales figures are exclusively a "function over form" argument as there is a very large badge bias at play here. Porsche makes nothing but high end performance vehicles and the general public is aware of it. So if you say "I have a Porsche" it conjurs up images that saying "I have an Audi" or worse "I have an Acura" create.

You're only supporting my argument that Porsche branding is superior and key to it's high sales numbers for high-end sports cars. It would not be here where it is right now without considerable and consistent marketing and building over the decades. Unlike the NSX...

stunning. one day....

Comparatively speaking (sales numbers etc) you are in the minority....

Interesting fact since 2014, 25% of 911 sales (991.1 & 991.2) are Turbo/S models.

IMG_0353_zpsvq78tusk.jpg~original

They should have used a detuned F1 "hybrid" powertrain for RWD only and no electric motors on the front wheels.

The detuned system would still be somewhat reliable. It would still be a "hybrid" sorta. It would have clear racing lineage ties for marketing.

I've driven the new NSX and do not like the steering artificiality at all. It is quick though.

It wouldn't be able to get those 0-60 times no matter how much power it has if it doesn't have AWD. I wonder how heavy (maybe lighter) it would have been if they used a traditional dif for AWD and made the torque-fill motor bigger.

There's a full-page ad for the NSX on page 4 of the July 10 & 17 issue of The New Yorker.
All the pics are indoor shots at PMC and the text is mostly about how great the factory and manufacturing techniques are.

I have yet to hear from anyone "with reasonable seat" time say the artificial steering (or braking or accelerating) is noticeably artificial and undesirable. Too many are just judging this new tech based assumptions vs. old tech standards and expecting sensations when driving to be the same. It's not and they won't be. It's better! Under most conditions the tech is undetectable. I have yet to detect it after about 3600 miles in the seat under all but track conditions. And in IMHO it's way better. Maybe not if my MAIN AND ONLY Goal was track. But I don't plan to track it nor have I with my GT-R which is probably more suitable. I want to enjoy and explore what it is under a variety of real world on the assorted roads (not track conditions) and so far it is much more than ever imagined. And I know I'm still learning.

I think all the doubting Thomas's and/or those who are looking just to knock it down or for an excuse not to appreciate it, they should read this:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...the-acura-nsx/

I can only say, more seat time lets me understand and appreciate what this car really is and what it can do like no other super/hyper car can... and with so much ease. I absolutely love it! If you don't like it, that is OK. If you are looking for a Track monster and only that... look elsewhere. It's not a dedicated Track Monster and was never intended to be one. There are plenty of alternative choices at assorted prices of those.
But if you haven't really had a lot of seat time, hold off on making unqualified statements. This car truly is 4 totally different cars in one. If the R&T guys did their 2500 mi trip in any other upper end B,F,L,Mc,P etc. car I doubt it would have taken as little time as it did and/or been as OVERALL rewarding&enjoyable a ride. I think in time (hopefully) the uneducated will be come educated and eventually actually get it for what it is and can be vs what they think it should be. Once there, they may appreciate it, or just buy what they think is more suiting their needs. Till now, I think there hasn't been anything which can do all of what the new NSX can do, and do it as well. Time will tell.

OK
off my soap box.

It wouldn't be able to get those 0-60 times no matter how much power it has if it doesn't have AWD. I wonder how heavy (maybe lighter) it would have been if they used a traditional dif for AWD and made the torque-fill motor bigger.
i think the 720s just did...

Acura is a symbol of sluggish overweight soccer moms cars now. They changed over the years. Admit it or not.
That hurt NSX sales more than anything IMHO.

I do not doubt that the new nsx becomes easier to live with after a few weeks of use. But that does not sell cars. Impulse and emotion sells cars like this. You cannot be a salesman and tell someone who does not like the car that they will love it weeks from now after they purchase the car. That will not sell cars at all. I have pets I didn't want that grew on me in the same way. But you cannot do that with a high dollar purchase.

When I drove the new car courtesy of the O.P. I did enjoy it thoroughly.Thank you Chris. But I didn't absolutely love it. It was new, fast, comfortable, but I still feel like it is asking far too much a price tag for a somewhat unrecognized brand. Hell, I even think a low milage NA for near 100k is far too much asking price. But that is just me. My .02 cents.
So it just goes back to the age old comments in these countless recurring threads that just beat dead horses, the car is priced too high and it is not selling...

Oh and FYI, I am patiently waiting for some of you new owners to do some mods and post here. I'm growing tired of saying the same thing. So let's change it up a bit and start something new and fresh. Something like a tuned 2017 nsx destroying a gtr in a 1/4 mile type thing. This, ''why isn't the car a hot seller" type thing is being hammered to death.:biggrin:

I want the car to be a beast. Just waiting for people to make it one. I think SOS is on a great pathway towards that...

I drove the car about 1.5 months ago and liked it. The dealer offered a test drive and at first I said no but thought why not. Big attitude change from maybe 8 months ago or whenever it was when they got their first car. I was there checking out if they had any new NSX stuff to buy as I was across the street and rarely drive my NSX. If I wasn't driving my NSX I would never have thought to go inside the acura dealer as there is nothing else of interest to me. The price discounts mentioned online intrigued me but I always figure wait 3 years and maybe I can pick 1 up for 100k rather than the current 200k+ with a 20k discount. Other than reg daily drivers I'm never the 1st owner, lucky if I'm the 2nd but resolved to the fact that I'm usually the 3rd or later owner to let someone else take the depreciation hit. When I built one in their system it would be at full msrp and no discount so I'll just wait a little longer. Id probably buy new right now if I could get a no option car and ~$20k off since it would be worth something to me to be the 1st owner and have a full warranty with the car. Very comfortable, like the side views but not really the front and rear views. If it had mclaren doors that would sell me right away. As others have mentioned it wouldn't be a normal choice as someones first exotic (esp since it doesnt even really look that exotic) but having owned several porsches, a gallardo spyder, and the old NSX (and recently considered a mclaren mp4-12c/650s and possibly 458 coupe) I do appreciate the NSX for what it is. My car has sat for almost 10 years but I started driving it about 6 weeks ago and I really appreciate it for what it is. Fires up everytime, no flat spots on my tires, and no one bothers me usually or thinks its a corvette. The sales rep didnt even bother to follow up with me so ok, no big rush I guess. At least now I decided to just modify my old car some more and that save a ton of $. Maybe drop $15k into it for weight reduction and wait for the other cars I want to drop $20k-40k

I have yet to hear from anyone "with reasonable seat" time say the artificial steering (or braking or accelerating) is noticeably artificial and undesirable. Too many are just judging this new tech based assumptions vs. old tech standards and expecting sensations when driving to be the same. It's not and they won't be. It's better! Under most conditions the tech is undetectable. I have yet to detect it after about 3600 miles in the seat under all but track conditions. And in IMHO it's way better. Maybe not if my MAIN AND ONLY Goal was track. But I don't plan to track it nor have I with my GT-R which is probably more suitable. I want to enjoy and explore what it is under a variety of real world on the assorted roads (not track conditions) and so far it is much more than ever imagined. And I know I'm still learning.

I think all the doubting Thomas's and/or those who are looking just to knock it down or for an excuse not to appreciate it, they should read this:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...the-acura-nsx/

I can only say, more seat time lets me understand and appreciate what this car really is and what it can do like no other super/hyper car can... and with so much ease. I absolutely love it! If you don't like it, that is OK. If you are looking for a Track monster and only that... look elsewhere. It's not a dedicated Track Monster and was never intended to be one. There are plenty of alternative choices at assorted prices of those.
But if you haven't really had a lot of seat time, hold off on making unqualified statements. This car truly is 4 totally different cars in one. If the R&T guys did their 2500 mi trip in any other upper end B,F,L,Mc,P etc. car I doubt it would have taken as little time as it did and/or been as OVERALL rewarding&enjoyable a ride. I think in time (hopefully) the uneducated will be come educated and eventually actually get it for what it is and can be vs what they think it should be. Once there, they may appreciate it, or just buy what they think is more suiting their needs. Till now, I think there hasn't been anything which can do all of what the new NSX can do, and do it as well. Time will tell.

OK
off my soap box.

I'm glad you're enjoying your car, however, you can never rationally defend your purchase to anyone other than yourself. That's why we have so many options available to us at all price levels.

It's a nice car, but it should have a base price of $125k instead of $155k.

There's a full-page ad for the NSX on page 4 of the July 10 & 17 issue of The New Yorker.
All the pics are indoor shots at PMC and the text is mostly about how great the factory and manufacturing techniques are.

That's nice and all, but do they expect that ad to sell emotional supercars? I'm guessing most potential NSX buyers care mostly about production quality that is set at a consistently-high standard and that their local Acura dealer will treat them well during services.

What other supercar manufacturer advertises stuff like this? None. It's about generating desire and want - not advertising the miracles of ablation casting.

Last edited:
In deference to Gadgetman, how many hours have you spent in one, away from the race track??

I can't talk about track driving - only street driving.

You'd never care about artificial NSX steering just puttering around town, or punching it in a straight line, where honestly, most owners would drive it 99% of the time.

However, the artificial steering feel kills the driving experience in relatively-low-speed spirited street driving on backroads. It's very obvious. Sorry.

In deference to Gadgetman, how many hours have you spent in one, away from the race track??

I can't talk about track driving - only street driving.

You'd never care about artificial NSX steering just puttering around town, or punching it in a straight line, where honestly, most owners would drive it 99% of the time.

However, the artificial steering feel kills the driving experience in relatively-low-speed spirited street driving on backroads. It's very obvious. Sorry.

i'll just forward you Mac Attack's reply since he nailed it pretty good...

I finally got to drive one today......only 20 minutes but the dealer knows me and my track record:wink:..

Back