• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

what would you buy for 80-90K?

latzke said:
With that $$ I would buy two cars:

- Older NSX (with supercharger) ~$40k
- Ariel Atom (with supercharger) ~$50k

Dude, did you read my post at all? :smile: I didn't ask what would you buy period, I asked what you would buy if you were in my position. An Ariel Atom?!!! That will be great to drive around Boston and go to a jazz club with.

Re: just do it...

Osiris_x11 said:
No1. No2. No3.

'97-'05 CTSC itself is $9k. Anticipate misc. wiring-harnesses, ECU-EMS (AEM?), injector-servicing, tuning & more tuning... to add $4k-$5k more. Headers/exhaust should also come into play: $1k/exhaust & $1.5k/headers. Let's say for the remainder, you get some nice forged wheels & ultra, high-performance tires. ~$20k (and then some...)

Unless you got someone who will install/tune the CTSC pro-bonor, you'll go over the threshold.

Actually, it won't add $10k to your NSX's value. It'll add more. You'll easily get 75-90% of your money back for selling off your exhaust & headers (depending of-course on what make/model you got and condition). Wheels are subjective, but anticipate 50%-67% as a low-end figure (offered/sold apart from the NSX). The CTSC should be worth perhaps 67% of it's original value.

When going F.I. w/ the NSX, always budget atleast 50% more than the cost of your parts. And don't be concerned w/ residuals, you'll lose your sanity! :biggrin:

Believe it or not, one thing influencing my decision is actually this forum. The knowledge of people like you is very valuable to me. I can tell you anything about a Mercedes, but I am lost in NSX land. If I get the NSX, I know I will have support here on how to modify it right. I have no clue what half the stuff you mentioned is. But when time comes, its good to know people like you are here.

NSXLuvr said:
Good Lord people. WE ARE NOT HELPING HIM AT ALL:redface:

Ultima GTR:confused: - He lives in Boston. He wants a nice car, preferrably a cab or targa to go out on Fridays, and Saturdays. He is single and wants the cache of driving a nice car. The Ultima, or the Z06 DONOT meet his criteria. If he pulls up in the Ultima - the Valet guy is going to do the VW impression from UNPIMP my ride- "whhat is zat??" plus his GF is going to refuse riding in it. Its a street legal race car after all. His DD has looks that only a mother could love:wink: So that is not an option.

IMHO, the SL55 is nice, fast and Convert - however, it just doesn't impress me as much as a Aston Martin AMV8. The 997 again IMHO is a ugly fat porker with a big ole butt. The fact that is is fast, handles well and can run at the track forever are the only reason I would consider it. If your GF thinks it has a 80's interior she should go see a 964 or a 993. Those have a 60's or 70's interior.:biggrin: - again IMHO.

I would say - given the choices I would go with SL55 if you need a convertible, or if you can stretch your finances a AS AMV8. That thing looks like pure Sex. Otherwise a F355 cab or targa will get you plenty of attention. Just be prepared to pay dearly for it.

Good luck.

Thanks. And yes, I am suprised of some of the suggestions. I had to go back and make sure I didn't say "I am handing you 90K what would you buy for yourself?" :eek:

But this is a great forum. I am pleasantly surprised at everyone responding... even the guys telling me to get a Noble, an Ariel Atom or best of all... 5 new civics.

TURBO2GO said:
Did I mention I am coming off a CL600? With full Renntech mods. As nice as a CLS looks, its an E class in a nice body. Its already a whole level of luxury and refinement DOWN from my 600. An NSX is a different type of car with an open top and a stick. What am I getting going from my CL600 to a CLS?! 2 more doors?

wanna trade then cl for nsx ?? hahah

I’m afraid you may have been spoiled by the Merc. It is as you know one of the quietest smoothest high performance cars on the planet and hard to beat on a long journey. The NSX is, as you are aware, more of a race car. It’s louder, harder riding and you feel more engaged and less insulated from the road but not any more so than the Ferrari that you were also considering.
I think you should take an NSX for a good long test drive and see how you like it, don’t you?
When you do please note the wonderful visibility from the cab forward design, reminiscent of a Lambo. Also note the precision and feedback of the steering and how easy it is to place the car. Appreciate the crispness of the short throw shifter. Experience the balance when in a transition from a left turn to a right and back again. See if you like the way the car turns in, the neutrality once it has taken a set, the grip, the way you can feed the power in early. The way the car tightens the line when you are under steering and you gently lift. In fact, if you can, get a drive or a ride along at a track.
Use the wide power band and the 8 k red line and listen to the wonderful noise it makes. And if after all that you decide you prefer something else. I think that’s totally valid and I respect your opinion. It’s all about personal preference.
I don’t really get the whole forced induction thing for the street. I have a 94 270 hp 5 speed and IMHO the car is way quicker and faster if driven hard, than it needs to be to get me killed when 100% stock. It’s a fair bit more money and if you blow the engine it’s a lot more money. Even on the track, more power is the last thing on my mind. I’m keeping my car stock but if I was going to upgrade my list would be: Cage, Seats and harness, fuel cell, plumbed in fire suppression, nomex underpants and bigger cooler brakes but I’m only a novice driver and maybe I’m just a Pussy.

Regards,

Patrick

Well, I will tell you what happen to me and got me hook on the NSX.

Back in early 04 my lease BMW Z3 was ending and I wanted another sports car (in general) with open top prefer. I had been a BMW man for over 17 years now (just got a 06 530i for the wife). And I always lease my cars because of I like to drive new cars every 2-3years, in the past 17 years I went thru almost all the models from 325s to 740s.

At the time my choices were down to the NSX, M3 Conv, and the 911, and I did not know this forum at the time either. So I did not have as much info you have now. Well, AHFC had a great lease program that made the difference for me. Both the M3 conv. and the 911 were around 1k/month but the NSX was just 799+tax/mo. After search around I found one in Scottsdale, AZ. Made the arrangements, sign the papers and had the car truck over to me in a enclosed truck.

When the car arrive, if was raining lightly and already dark, and I thought ok, just another "sports car" or "weekend warior", I will drive it for a couple years and look for something new, little did I realize, what I was about to get myself into.

First impression the next day when I drive it(remember it is still new and needs time to break in), HOLY COW, let me take that corner again, and again, and again........(biggest grin on my face, but the wife did not like it, she was tire of me doing 40+mph right turns on to freeway on ramps over and over again). Well the rest is history, I had driven 911's, M3s many times in the past, it just not the same, the NSX is pure handling king in my book. I can not believe that I waited 12 years to get one(I had the oppertunity to get one back in 1992).

To make a long story short, since Feb. 04, I had decided to make the NSX my daily driver, I had put on over 45k miles on it. Had catch the MOD fever and can not stop anytime soon (widebody and new wheels again this year), needless to say, dicover this TOTALLY AWSOME FORUM, I'm keeping this baby for good. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Hope you will joint us soon.

nsxslammed said:
wanna trade then cl for nsx ?? hahah

I would seriously consider it, I may have even talked to the member with that crazy 05 NSX-R replica as his wife expressed interest in an SL, but my CL is already sold. I am certainly going to miss it.

I did get used to that V12. The thing sucks its own doors shut... the rear view mirror is motorized. I had AC and massage in the seats... I could raise or lower it by pushing a button on the dash and having Active Body Control do its thing... I had parktronic, distronic radar guided cruise, keyless ignition, a motorized trunk, tire pressure sensors, and AMG body.

Then it had a Renntech ECU, aftermarket exhaust that just SANG with that V12, Renntech wheels, and a bunch of things I can't even remember. Hard to replace a car like this. Even the Astons don't have near the luxury. And although the car was 4000+ pounds, it was still faster than 95% of whats out there, and handled pretty damn well while bumps were just a small "thud". The girls I have mentioned all thought it was super "classy", and everyone from my 14 year old neighbor to a bunch of 60 year old execs in suits used to go up to it and stare in through the window.

But I miss a more involved driving experience. I was constantly manualy shifting the auto. Just to hear the V12. I miss having an open top. And most of all, new body style CL is on its way as the S class is already out. I am not going to take a bath and buy any new Merc, so my decision was made to change the car.

Last edited:
In my opinion, any car that you buy, you will have to live with it for some time before deciding if it is the car to keep or not - unless it is a car of your dreams (like the NSX in my case) - so if you are not sure about the NSX, buy one (year and mileage wise) that (most likely) will not depreciate, drive it for few months and by then you will know if you love that car or if "it is just a car"

I have been through this many times where I would test drive cars many times but once I drive it daily, I discover that it was not the car for me - obviously everyone on this forum do not buy cars just to get them from point A to point B - We need to drive a car that will put a smile on our face and takes time to decide

TURBO2GO said:
I would seriously consider it, I may have even talked to the member with that crazy 05 NSX-R replica as his wife expressed interest in an SL, but my CL is already sold. I am certainly going to miss it.

I did get used to that V12. The thing sucks its own doors shut... the rear view mirror is motorized. I had AC and massage in the seats... I could raise or lower it by pushing a button on the dash and having Active Body Control do its thing... I had parktronic, distronic radar guided cruise, keyless ignition, a motorized trunk, tire pressure sensors, and AMG body.

Then it had a Renntech ECU, aftermarket exhaust that just SANG with that V12, Renntech wheels, and a bunch of things I can't even remember. Hard to replace a car like this. Even the Astons don't have near the luxury. And although the car was 4000+ pounds, it was still faster than 95% of whats out there, and handled pretty damn well while bumps were just a small "thud". The girls I have mentioned all thought it was super "classy", and everyone from my 14 year old neighbor to a bunch of 60 year old execs in suits used to go up to it and stare in through the window.

But I miss a more involved driving experience. I was constantly manualy shifting the auto. Just to hear the V12. I miss having an open top. And most of all, new body style CL is on its way as the S class is already out. I am not going to take a bath and buy any new Merc, so my decision was made to change the car.

Based on your note here, the NSX is a completely different car, there is a huge difference between a 4000+ lbs car and a 3000 lbs car - completely different feeling - as well as the lack of high tech electronics which I personally do not like - so that goes back to my previous note which is you may have to live with the NSX for some time before you decide if it is the right car for you as it is a completely different car from the MB

Been there, done that, am there again here's my advice. A little over 3 years ago, I was in a similar (but different boat) situation. The lease on my C5 convertible was up, loved the power and sound of the v8, but it was a chevy, the radio was the same face plate as in the malibu, and the numbers had already worn off. Couldn't wait until the lease was up. I went and tested the 911C4S Convertible (so common around here, would have trouble finding mine in the parking lot at my office),went and tested the Maserati Spyder, loved the sound of the engine, the tranny was nice, the look well, while not common, didn't inspire me, and the seats, well, the bolsters cut me right in the middle of my shoulder blades, couldn't get comfortable on the 5 mile test drive, couldn't live with it daily. What to do, I've always loved the look of the NSX, went for a test drive, the dealer had some sort of "qualification" pre test. I had to make an appointment, they came up with a lame excuse, rescheduled for a week later, I came to take my test drive, they put me in an older model, lowered, with pedals that were so close, you couldn't press the gas without depressing the brake pedal at the same time. After the test drive, I told them that I was very disappointed, the ride was harsh, the car undriveable as it was. They responded with if I was really interested come back next week and they'd let me drive a new model (it was a 2001 that they hadn't sold, the 02's were already getting stale, and in a couple of weeks the 03 would be rolling in. I came back, test drove the car, what a world of difference, loved it, the feel was what I had hoped for. I made an offer for the car (an 02) gave them my # and waited a week. They hit my #, I made the deal and have loved every minute of it. Now fast forward 3 years later. My lease was up on 2/1, and other than cars that are 150m+ nothing out there hits my button like the car in my garage. Sooo, what I did was extend my lease another 7 months. When that lease expires I will decide whether to buy the car outright, or turn it in, wait until after the winter, see what's going on with the HSC, or maybe even the R8 (audi). The NSX still makes me smile.........To each his own, testdrive the car, if you don't like it, don't get it. If it's just torque that you're looking for, this car won't do it for you, maybe Ryans will, but stock no. If it's a "total driving experience" that you're looking for, look no further. JMHO, good luck with whatever you decide:biggrin:

NSX7 said:
In my opinion, any car that you buy, you will have to live with it for some time before deciding if it is the car to keep or not - unless it is a car of your dreams (like the NSX in my case) - so if you are not sure about the NSX, buy one (year and mileage wise) that (most likely) will not depreciate, drive it for few months and by then you will know if you love that car or if "it is just a car"

I have been through this many times where I would test drive cars many times but once I drive it daily, I discover that it was not the car for me - obviously everyone on this forum do not buy cars just to get them from point A to point B - We need to drive a car that will put a smile on our face and takes time to decide

This is all very true IMHO.
What a great post!

TURBO2GO said:

wow that is a beautiful car.

TURBO2GO said:
Dude, did you read my post at all? :smile: I didn't ask what would you buy period, I asked what you would buy if you were in my position. An Ariel Atom?!!! That will be great to drive around Boston and go to a jazz club with.
I read your post. You asked what I would do in your position...not what you would do in your position. Part of your position I assume is house paid off and lots of $$ in the bank, or I would have answered "invest the $90k". I answered the question and took into account your preferences...

The NSX for comfort, cache, luxury w/o gimics, no menu-matic, not a Vette, more reliable than anything else you're looking at, and can handle crappy roads. The Ariel Atom because you'll have left over $$ and seem to like FAST cars and an OPEN top - both of which this car has in abundance. :biggrin:

Hasn't it been confirmed that the new Skyline GTR is destined for the US soon?

If the object here is for pure driving pleasure, I think it is way up top. I love that combat bodystyle also:biggrin:

So many cars.....so many decisions....

Japanese high end sports car will always maintain its top positions on my list because of reliability and low maintenance costs. And the NSX is really the best considering all factors. At the price you can get it used, the miles it will go, and the low depreciation....it was a no brainer for me.

German cars are a worthy choice if they are purchased close to brand new with warranty in effect. Depreciation still kills you after a few years.

Italian cars I believe are for those who deserve to reward themselves for their hardwork and success. You can absorb all the godly costs guilt free because you can, you deserve it, and you have enough money to retire already.

American cars are just not for me...doesn't matter the performance or their value. The only car that somewhat appealed to me was the prior model of the Dodge Viper GTS. Even the stripes went well in that car. I think the old ones looked like replacement models for the newer ones. The new ones are just bah in my opinion. For some reason the people I disliked always drove a corvette. That "obnoxious" and "rude" persona that I associate to that car will prevent me from ever purchasing one until the day I die. I don't know...it is hard to explain. I do like American made trucks though. I think they set the bar but the Japanese makers are threatening really hard and in 10 years might be the predominant truck of choice rather than the F150...who knows.

Just my 2 cents. But I do admire the ultimate car nuts that just have to have "the car" now. We are all different and we spend our money differently. I trully cherish that and I wish most people would feel this way. It would make this world such a friendlier place to live in.

But if I had 80-90k in a budget for a car, I'd buy a 97+ NSX or 02 NSX depending your preference in styling if you had to buy it now. If I could wait, I'd still wait for the replacement model for the NSX or the Skyline GTR. They are just so hip. Not a lot of choices to make right now because Nissan, Mitsubishi, Toyota has yet to release their flagship sports car priced in the 60K-90K range. We don't even know if there is anything in the works. But for me Honda and Nissan are my two top choices anyway, so I don't have to wait long.

Good luck with what you decide. If it puts a smile on your face and you can't stop staring at that thing in your garage even after 2 years...you got your money's worth and a bigtime winner.:smile:

Back