• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What's a '91 w/122k worth??

I'm looking at a '91 NSX out of snap ring range. It has all records since new. It's got a new oem $4k paint job w/newer interior as well that looks new. Then it has some basic performance upgrades like headers, exhaust, etc. Bone stock wheels for now w/about 50%rubber left, but those would have to go anyways. Carfax reads out clean on it. I'd like to own one maybe for a little while to see how I like it, but if I end up trying to sell it this summer, does it take a LONG time to get rid of one, or is there a decent sized market out there for a 17 year old car? I'm just trying to see what I should be paying for one and not really lose out. What does this one seem to be worth? Thanks--Andy

It wounds nice...I would put it at around 28,000-32,000 US...and it depends on where you live in order to sell any vehicle...with the economy in a tailspin-turning around and trying to sell a vehicle my be difficult...the NSX is like a Ferrari or a Lamborghini...unique/rare and expensive for its age...I do not think you should buy one if you have any notion of selling it quickly...

Dam

A lot will depend on the overall condition, the quality of the paint job, as well as the maintenance history and the extent that any deferred maintenance is necessary. A $4k paint job sounds a bit cheap for an NSX.

Color may also impact value. Red is the most common, followed by black. Rarer colors, such as GP White or Sebring Silver can command a bit of a premium.

Assuming the paint job is of decent quality and the car has been well maintained and needs nothing, I would say it is worth $26-28k.

I recently bought a 1991 Sebring Silver with 124k miles for $22,500. That price assumed $5,000 to bring the car back to spec (transmission rebuild, clutch, a few other items). I will have spent at least that when all is said and done, but I am happy with the purchase. I wanted another silver car and I wanted higher mileage and a driver rather than a garage queen.

My 1993 NSX with 99k miles was totalled and valued at $29,400 by the insurance company in late 2005.

"Easiest thing to do would be to check your local listings, e.g. AutoTrader."

there's one for sale, and it's an '02. That's not a real good comparison when there's only a handful of cars w/in 300miles of me. I've already done that. I'm sure some of the nsx experts will chime in:wink:

there's one for sale, and it's an '02. That's not a real good comparison when there's only a handful of cars w/in 300miles of me. I've already done that. I'm sure some of the nsx experts will chime in:wink:

and some have, thanks guys

Search the entire country and don't limit yourself to 1991s. 1991 is the most common year. The 1991 values should be virtually identical to the 1992 values, and close to the 1993 and 1994 values.

I did say "local listings" but I guess I meant more than within a 300 mile range :) Try your entire state (assuming you're in the United States). At the very least it will give you idea of what similar cars are going for.

$24-25k. I personally don't put much value in the paint job. Did it really need it? If so, why? If you were to purchase a car that was identical but without the new paint, how much would you then be willing to pay to have it painted?

$4k for a paint job is pretty reasonable... maybe too reasonable. I'd find out exactly who did the work and what their reputation is/was. Mine was repainted by one of the best shops in California. It cost $8,500 for the job. Gladly it was done be the previous owner.:wink: :biggrin:

It's repainted and has a lot of miles. Both factors mean a lower market value. I would guess $23-26K.

I'd like to own one maybe for a little while to see how I like it, but if I end up trying to sell it this summer, does it take a LONG time to get rid of one, or is there a decent sized market out there for a 17 year old car? I'm just trying to see what I should be paying for one and not really lose out. What does this one seem to be worth?
The length of time it takes to sell depends on how much you're asking for it.

If you're not sure you will like it, and you don't want to take a loss if you have to sell it, then don't buy it.

I'd sure love to be the owner of a car like this and have prospective buyers all come around offering mid to high 20s, or even low 30s like a previous poster wrote. 122 thousand miles, the engine could very well be on its last 20% of useful life, major paintwork done (who knows why), bought for $51,000 (which just so happens to be invoice and was certainly do-able in early '92 as there were several leftover new '91s around). Depreciation wouldve cost me $23K assuming I now sold it for $28K. That's roughly $1500 a year plus servicing costs, to tool around a brand new NSX for years and years at over 8,000 miles per year. Man, that's the ticket.

MoreRPMs said:
bought for $51,000 (which just so happens to be invoice and was certainly do-able in early '92 as there were several leftover new '91s around).
New? More nonsense.

What are you God? Are you present at every NSX transaction? I met someone who got this very deal on a new leftover '91 in spring '92, and sold the car within a year, and personally know another individual that was offered the same deal.

Don't be so quick to assume you're right all the time.

What are you God? Are you present at every NSX transaction? I met someone who got this very deal on a new leftover '91 in spring '92, and sold the car within a year, and personally know another individual that was offered the same deal.
I was following the NSX market at that time. Then, as now, I knew a lot of dealers and new owners. I know what new NSXs were selling for - when customers were overpaying, and when they were getting a good deal. At the end of the 1991 model year, NSXs were selling for around sticker price, which was $62,600 on a '91. If you got a smokin' good deal, you could get them for a grand or two less than sticker, and then you had to pay a luxury tax of around $3,000 on top of that. A great deal was $63K including the luxury tax. Nobody was buying them for less than $60K (with tax). NOBODY.

I do not believe what you are saying. It's pure
bsflag.gif

Last edited:
You do not want to start a discussion on that particular car....run...run away fast from that topic.

That is the understatement of the year . . .

I have tried to contact ebay about the fraudulent listing (no disclosure of the frame damage and repair), but they say the item # is not valid and won't let me report it????

I am in the queue on ebay live chat as we speak.

That is the understatement of the year . . .

I have tried to contact ebay about the fraudulent listing (no disclosure of the frame damage and repair), but they say the item # is not valid and won't let me report it????

I am in the queue on ebay live chat as we speak.

The ebay postings are fakes. The car is not in Texas. The car was purchased from the Sacramento seller two weeks ago by a lady in the San Jose area and is not for sale.

BTW, she did a PPI with her personal mechanic and says they didn't find any frame damage. She also was aware of the accident and the repairs before purchasing.

Otto

I was following the NSX market at that time. Then, as now, I knew a lot of dealers and new owners. I know what new NSXs were selling for - when customers were overpaying, and when they were getting a good deal.

Did you also know who was going to win that year's World Series? How about the next week's Powerball numbers? Did you also know those? I wish I had been best friends with you then as I am now....you could've given me great stock tips without me being accused of insider trading.

nsxtasy said:
At the end of the 1991 model year, NSXs were selling for around sticker price, which was $62,600 on a '91. If you got a smokin' good deal, you could get them for a grand or two less than sticker, and then you had to pay a luxury tax of around $3,000 on top of that. A great deal was $63K including the luxury tax. Nobody was buying them for less than $60K (with tax). NOBODY.

I believe the MSRP on the '91s I was speaking of was $60K. I never heard of that model year with no options stickering for almost $63K. The invoice of 51,xxx was on the cars with stickers of $60K. These deals were had halfway through the '92 model year; in roughly 6 months 1993s were due out. Paying sticker price for a year and a half year old car, albeit new, was a stupid proposition, especially given the exotic market had crashed in calendar 1991.

You believe everything that comes out of these clowns' mouths? Knowing an owner does not make you privy to his P&L statements nor every car transaction. By the way, beacuse you're so close to these owners do you buy your cars at true cost or do you get suckered for $xx above some fictitious invoice? Back in the fall of '98 a local Acura dealer had a '93 black NSX in rough condition and the used car manager volunteered he paid $40K for the car. I thought that was utterly laughable and casually mentioned the disclosure to another dealer who proceeded to tell me that that car was bought for less than $30K. So much for believing these peoples' claims.

Not everyone got shafted for 10 or 20 over, or even MSRP on new NSXs. There were (and are) deals to be had, especially at the right time of year. You'd be surprised at what a little negotiation nets some people.

The only BS flag that should be raised is on your supposed expertise of all matters, NSX, music, politics, whatever. See you at lunch tomorrow at our usual place buddy.

Back