• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What's that smell and sound? Argh!

I just got my NSX Supercharged about a month ago, and had the Comptech Intake, Exhaust and Headers put on a few weeks ago. Things were fine until about a week ago when I started getting a 'rattle' from the engine compartment when I was in 'low RPM lag' mode (i.e. starting out in 1st). Now, when I bring the car home from work, the entire garage (and it even gets into the house) is filled with this chemical gas smell - it's nasty. I checked under the engine, and looked all around the engine - nothing visible. Of course I'm taking it to the dealer on Monday and am not going to drive it anymore until then, but I was wondering if anyone had any idea what this could be.

Thanks!

David

'00 Silverstone

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T

I'm just playing a guessing game here but does it smell like rubber? If so then maybe your Supercharger belt has problem?

Did u change the header gaskets when replacing the headers? If not, it's most likely an exhaust leak.

------------------
For some, it's a compensation.

I would think that if it's rubber, exhaust gas, or gasoline, you'd recognize the smell.

I'll toss out another possibility. Do you know what a burning clutch plate smells like? My guess is that you may be slipping the clutch when you start out, based on your reference to "low rpm" starts from a stop. That's not the way to get going in the NSX. Best technique is to blip the throttle and engage the clutch as the revs are falling (as noted in the FAQ). This will prevent slipping and will also prevent clutch shudder.

It's another possibility, anyway. And one that is easy to test (and avoid) by using the proper technique and seeing if you still get the smell.

Let us know what you find out.

It's definitely a 'gas-like' smell - and I was thinking some type of Exhaust leak as well... I'm taking it in tomorrow to find out what's wrong - I'll let everyone know.

Thanks for the feedback!

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T

If it smells like gas it's probably exhaust or a fuel leak. I know a couple SC installs that had fuel leaks at first until they get everything straightened out.

David,

My understanding from talking to many "Supercharged" owners is this is a fuel smell. Somehow, I do not have the details, fuel ends up upburned probably in the intake. We had a lengthly discussion about this at NSXPO2000. I agree Mark Basch is the guy to speak with, also I would give Comptech a call. This sounded pretty common.

HTH,
LarryB

Back