• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

what's the world coming to when...

a simple offer becomes an insult. pls read this email I sent this guy from ebay about the nsx for sale:

"Steven Schwab" <[email protected]>

To :
<[email protected]>

Subject :
Re: Question for seller -- Item #1853079584

Date :
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:51:17 -0700

Reply Reply All Forward Delete Put in Folder...InboxSent MessagesDraftsTrash Can Printer Friendly Version

Sure, you and about 100,000 others. That's quite an insult. Don't think so. Please read the ad one more if you send another offer like this I'll block you from bidding and emailing fatboy.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2002 2:32 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Question for seller -- Item #1853079584

I'll offer u $28k for it. very serious. no games

dave
--------------------

Question from: fastboyturbonium1
Title of item: Acura : NSX
Seller: lcmtrspts
Starts: Aug-20-02 18:40:40 PDT
Ends: Aug-27-02 18:40:40 PDT
Price: Currently $22,222.22
To view the item, go to: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1853079584

I'm with you this time Madfast. While your offer is on the low side it is an offer and should be accepted or declined without resorting to name calling.
Funny that the original owner changed his mind about what year the car is.

This is a one-owner car and from the looks of it very, very tight!

Although the reply was on the border of insult, I would not take it personal madfast.

Remember, this guy probably paid well over $80K for this vehicle back in 1991, so given that, he expects to recover at least 40% of his "investment" (not including regular maintenance). So you see, I could possibly understand how frustrating it might be for the original owner to get a low-ball figure thrown at him. However, that is NO EXCUSE for him to blow a gasket. Let's face it, there is absolutely nothing wrong with offering an amount well below the value of the vehicle, hell when your in the need for cash, you'll take the hit! We've all been there. I once sold a 1995 M3 for 7K cash in Vegas, (Don't ask, Long story!) Anyway, don't be discouraged by the crapy attitude madfast.

Look at it this way, at least we'll be getting rid of a disgruntle NSX member once he sells his car!

There's a big difference between thinking your stock 91 is worth $38K from the comfort of your den at home and the real world of effective sales. No stock 91 NSX should be bought for more than $30-32K.
Madfast, your offer was not way off line.

madfast,

Why not just go ahead right now and bid the $28,000 you want to pay, and see what happens? Who knows what may happen. I seriously doubt you'll get it for that price, but it doesn't hurt trying. (As an aside...I don't want or need the car and I'll pay more than that for it).

This is an exerpt from the dude's auction:

So if you expect to offer or pay wholesale please continue to look....You can own this spectacular high-tech sports car for only $38,000.

although my offer was I a bit low, there was no need for his remarks. he could've refused my offer passively like many nsxprime members have. but isn't it true that any buyer wants to buy at the lowest cost, and any seller sell at the highest price? I respect that. I merely made him an offer and he could've kindly refuted my offer but he chose to mock. on my reply I didn't mock him back. I simply told him that I would not bring myself to his level. c'mon guys this is a car dealer place. this is how u talk to ur potential customers? somebody treats me like that I walk right out. anyway, thanks for those who are on my side and agree that I took the right course of action.

Madfast you need to offer him another 4k to have a good chance of owning this 92 with low miles and no accidents. And if I was him I would not accept less than 35k.
Be careful when you buy because the NSX can easily cost 4k in repairs or maintenance.

No offense to you Madfast, but if someone offered me a price far below what I thought was reasonable I think I'd respond similarly. It's like... what? You think I'm giving the car away? It's sort of like going to Giorgio Armani and asking if they have an outlet store or is there a 2 for 1 sale. Expect a non-friendly response.

I agree the offer is too low.

I wonder why he didn't take any pics of the driver's side seats?? seems kind of strange.

Also, the pic of him doing 90 in a 35 is pretty stupid.

You really offered the guy only $28,000? That tactic is more likely to work on a 92 Camaro.

If you are serious about the car (and $28,000 isn't serious), I live about 20 minutes away and could take a look at it.

[This message has been edited by gobble (edited 22 August 2002).]

Originally posted by gobble:
You really offered the guy only $28,000? That tactic is more likely to work on a 92 Camaro.

If you are serious about the car (and $28,000 isn't serious), I live about 20 minutes away and could take a look at it.

[This message has been edited by gobble (edited 22 August 2002).]

IF you take a look at it check out the stitching on the driver's seat. I think it is very wavy compared to the seat I have in my closet.

Originally posted by bboxer:
No stock 91 NSX should be bought for more than $30-32K.

I disagree. A stock '91 five-speed with similar mileage (40K miles) in pristine condition, with no repairs needed, everything working perfectly, complete history and clean title, will easily sell for $34-36K. A similarly clean '91 but with super low mileage (under 10K miles) may be worth as much as $40-41K.

This car is actually a '92 but the same analysis holds (particularly if the snap ring problem has been fixed; it affected virtually all of the '92s but only a few of the '91s).

Remember, NetViper looked nationwide for almost a year for a super-clean '91 in the $30-32K range and couldn't find one.

I have not seen this particular car, and without a thorough inspection, it's tough to render an opinion on a fair price. My comments here are in response to the above statement only, and refer to hypothetical NSXs only; they should not be construed to be a valuation for any specific NSX, this one or any other one.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 22 August 2002).]

Hey some people are just rude. Don't take it personally. Having put up with many similar lowballers when I was selling my car (some of them much ruder than this guy was to you), I understand the frustration, but there is still no need to be rude to people.

Anyway, if that car is clean and up to date on all maintenance issues it should go for mid 30s depending on condition.

However I would want to inspect that car before buying it. A few things look a bit "off" in a couple of the pictures to me, but the pictures are so small and low res it could just be the image files and not the car.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 23 August 2002).]

I actually think the reply was well deserved, except for the "fatboy"(lol) comment. When I was selling my father's NSX, I got so many insulting offers that I would reply to the e-mail with a thank you, but not interested in your offer.

Anyway, it still seems like you are having trouble finding the right NSX because you are still way too low on your offers. If you have a few extra $$, then maybe you'll be in a better position to purchase a clean NSX. Until then, I think concentrating on passing the boards should be your major concern. Then, when your making the big $$$ you can afford a newer NSX.

Just my $.02

-Good Luck.

Note: Quote from E-Bay TOS
Buying Offenses See other offenses

If you've experienced any of these issues, please report offenses to the Investigations link below. Disciplinary action may result in the indefinite suspension of a user's account, temporary suspension, or a formal warning. eBay will consider the circumstances of an alleged offense and the user's trading records before taking action.

"Contacting a seller and offering to purchase the listed item outside of eBay."

If you want to bid on the car, bid & see what happens - if the guy was prepared to take $28K he could have included that in his "buy-it-now" price.
Don't blame him for his response, although I probably would have not responded similarly myself. Yu're lucky he didn't report you to the E-Bay police!
wink.gif

Madfast I dont think your offer was that bad.
But I do know where the guy is comming from.
I put my wifes VW cabrio up for sale at the start of summer for $6800 the first guy that called me offered me $4700 I was insulted and blew him off. Now its the end of summer and I still have the car and I wish I had his number I would take his offer. Let him sit on it a while and get a dose of reality.
His tune might change . Remember it never hurts to ask and if he takes your offer you look like a hero. [At least in my book]

You guys suffer the same syndrome I see in Ferrai and Porsche owners. Your cars are nowhere near what you think they're worth when time comes to REALLY sell. Look at Ilya's car; an immaculate 92 with good add-ons and no $32K offer in months. My son John bought his immaculate one-owner 91 with 29K miles for $32K FOUR YEARS AGO, yes in 1998 ! I bought my 94 with 7K miles for $43K FIVE YEARS AGO(in 1997) !.

I didn't realize how much this stuff happens until I began selling stuff on Ebay. I constantly get email offers on my stuff at higher than current bid prices. My response is, "If that's your offer, please place a bid in that amount in the auction."

BTW, I just received a $15 offer for my PS1 with 7 controllers + games, mem. card, etc...

bboxer, those prices you quote are completely abnormal, so don't try to portray them as being the norm. i shopped for almost a year and four years ago my 91 with 11k miles still cost me 43k. higher mileage 91's were going for 35-40 but i wanted silver and mega low miles so i wss willing to go a bit more. i NEVER EVER saw anything close to the prices youre claiming. i have a really hard time believing you paid 43k for a 94 with 7k miles back in 97, clearly whoever was selling the car was clueless.

Regardless of the offer price, IMHO the seller is a jackass and dumb businessman. Instead of the unnecessarily rude response, he could just as easily have said "thank you for your offer, but I'm looking for $XX,XXX" and continued negotiating, rather than stop the process cold.

Also, I agree that taking a photo of the speedo @ 86 in front a 35mph speed limit sign is pure idiocy. If I were a really peeved buyer, I might just be tempted to send the pic to the local authorities...

------------------
PhoeNiSX
-91 Formula Red NSX
-02 Mustang GT
-95 Stealth

[This message has been edited by PhoeNiSX (edited 23 August 2002).]

the response was over the top imo, but you dont know how many ridiculous offers he may have gotten...

bboxer, i think you may have gotten some great prices on your nsxs and im happy for you. however, i wouldnt be making blanket statements about nsx values. i could have bought nsxs that cheap, but with the ones I saw for those prices, i would have gotten what i paid for. Superclean nsx's with less than 30k were going for much more than 30-32k in the last 10months, in my experience. depending on the condition of the car, your pricing is off.

Back