• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

what's the world coming to when...

don't listen to these guys.
your offer was not ridiculous.
his "buy it now" is off the wall.

[This message has been edited by nicholas421 (edited 23 August 2002).]

I just bought my 92 last year. Speaking from recent experience and having shopped for over 6 months, I can tell you that you will not be able to find a clean low mileage 92 for $28,000.

Originally posted by nicholas421:
don't listen to these guys.
your offer was not ridiculous.
his "buy it now" is off the wall.

Depending on the condition of the car, IF it's as clean and perfect as it's being described - and that's a big "if", subject to inspection - I think a fair price for the car is somewhere in the $34-36K range. Deduct $1K if the snap ring and case have not been replaced. Deduct $1K if the timing belt and water pump have not been replaced. Deduct $1K if a major service (30/60/90) has not been done in the past two years. Deduct $500 if the window regulators have not been replaced and the fix-it thingies have not been installed. (And NOW you can start to see how a "perfect" car must be completely up to date in order to merit a high dollar value.)

I agree that his "buy it now" price ($38K) is too high. I also think the $28K "lowball" offer is too low unless there's something wrong with the car that's not stated in the item description.

I detest people who make lowball offers. They are exploitative bottom feeders. But it's their right to make such offers, and there's no need for the seller to be rude or say anything beyond "no thanks".

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 23 August 2002).]

This is not necessarily true. You CAN make an offer and the seller can except any offer at any time - just has to be through Ebay. There are tools to cancel any bids and accept any bid at any time in an auction.

So bottom line - if you can negotiate a deal - go for it!

Originally posted by D'Ecosse:
Note: Quote from E-Bay TOS
Buying Offenses See other offenses

If you've experienced any of these issues, please report offenses to the Investigations link below. Disciplinary action may result in the indefinite suspension of a user's account, temporary suspension, or a formal warning. eBay will consider the circumstances of an alleged offense and the user's trading records before taking action.

"Contacting a seller and offering to purchase the listed item outside of eBay."

If you want to bid on the car, bid & see what happens - if the guy was prepared to take $28K he could have included that in his "buy-it-now" price.
Don't blame him for his response, although I probably would have not responded similarly myself. Yu're lucky he didn't report you to the E-Bay police!
wink.gif

thank you all again for ur replies. I just got the following email from this guys brother:

this is scott steves brother , im sorry you feel that way , we just need to get more for the nsx, its a very clean car.

good luck. i appreciate your offer.

scott.

so it's all good. let us just forget about this incident and move on. I am still shopping for a 91-92nsx in the low $30ks ballpark. thanks again guys.

dave

Huskster and robr,
You'll remember my post when time comes to sell. Don't ever pay more than $32K for a 91.

The point here is not whether or not the offer is reasonable, too low, or too high.
This is a matter of decency in a person. If you feel like the offer is too low and down right insulting, then simply tell the buyer that you are not interested or ask them to make a higher offer.
There's no reason to mock them back and throw insults. Another option is for the seller to make a counteroffer. That's smart business. That's also how you do business as a gentleman.

I remember many years back, my parents had wanted to purchase their first house. Our agent told them just make offers and get it started. So they made an initial offer on a house they liked. It was definitely on the low end but they simply wanted to start the
negotiation process. The seller on the other hand, told them that NOBODY's GOING TO STEAL MY HOUSE FROM ME. The seller hurled insults and and mocked them and made the whole thing horrible for their first house buying experience.
Yet a few months had past and due to the bad economy and recession at the time, house prices started dropping drastically,
and the seller was never able to sell the house. They've become desperate and came back
to my parents agent and made us an offer that was WELL BELOW what my parents first 'insulting' offer was.
Yet the damage was done and my parents never bothered to deal with the seller again. It wasn't until another few months later that the seller finally sold the house - at a ridiculously low price.
Point of the story is, as a businessman and a decent person, act professionally at all times. You never know what will happen so don't burn bridges.

Gobble,
The guy simply paid too much. $34.5K is 93 territory, perhaps even a high mileage or unpopular color 94. Check out the Market section of this web site, a 93 advertised for $29.8K and a low mileage 95 T sold for $42K or less. Welcome to the real world.

You get what you're willing to pay for. In my case, I was willing to spend a few thousand extra and get a good one. Do you really want to shop the bottom end when buying this type of car?

Each car is an individual case. A particular car may sell for $30K or $28K or even less, but usually that means it has a history including a poorly-repaired accident, or very high miles, or an automatic, or a salvage title, or missing maintenance, etc. Just claiming that such-and-such car sold for a certain price doesn't mean anything if you don't know all these other factors. Anyone owning a moderate-mileage "perfect" '91 NSX (as defined, with all maintenance etc up to date) would be a fool to sell for $30K, unless they needed to sell it quick and/or weren't willing to go to the effort to advertise it and show it.

Tino is right about it being tough to sell. It's been months and I haven't sold it for 32K yet. I jut put it up on ebay for 31K with no reserve. Sounds like a fair offer to me.

BTW, anyone sold a car on ebay before? It said something about having to pay the final fee even if the sale does not go through. That worries me a bit. I already paid $50 to list it. Now if some bozo bids and then backs out after the auction, I may end up owing a few hundred bucks for a waste of time. I would be pretty pissed if that happened. Anyone have any experiences with this before? I'd appreciate any feedback on what to do if this happened.

Yes, Ilya, but your car is a high mileage car. You can't get the same price for a car with 94K miles that you could with 40K. Your car is also significantly modded - the mods are not major, but there are so many of them that many potential buyers will rule it out. IMO these reasons are why you're not getting bids at the price you were looking for.

No offense intended. Good luck with your sale.

Anyone who's interested in checking out Ilya's auction, click here.

Guys,
Last summer, I bought a very clean 92 NSX with 49.5k miles on it for $32k and the only thing wrong at the time was the AC blower (this was fixed and paid by the seller after the fact) I fortunately also purchased a full bumper to bumper warranty for $1500. And THANK GOD, because it covered the snap ring failure (4k miles later). That $1500 security blanket saved me over $7000 dollars... while it was in the shop I managed to get them to fix everything it could find wrong or even if it seemed to be on the brink of failure. The list was small (i.e. the passenger seat recline motor was going out, a burnt bulb in the recirc button of the AC panel, and also check the AC system again for safe measures.)
So, you really do get what you pay for. BUT if you don't plan on EVER, EVER selling your NSX, buy whatever because the resale value will be moot then. All that would matter is just the pride of ownership!!
I do not plan on ever selling my NSX unless I can replace it with 3rd gen model in the future (of course being (1) IF I like it and then (2)if I can get past the procurement office aka- wife) ;-D

So I am very happy with my past purchase and haven't regretted looking back. Now what's installed in the future is trying to customize it with MY taste (i.e. WW kit, etc)

My $.02

------------------
Biaggi
92 Red NSX #483
94 CBR900RR

I bought one car and sold 2 over the last 6 months on Ebay.

Ebay is now the biggest car selling exchange anywhere and is an excellent way to sell a car.

Good points to remember:

- Your Ebay feedback is almost as important as your credit history! If yours is not perfect with lots of high ticket buys/sells then get someone else who will "vouch" for you to sell it. I have worked for years to get my feedback built and it is very important to people that will buy your car. I have seen it make the difference in thousands of dollars vs. buying from a new seller or one with no history.

- Set a very low starting price or reserve. You want to build interest in your on-line "store". You want people competing and bidding up the price. It is a Zen thing. To get the price you really want you need to be able to risk getting a LOT less then you want. Trust in the market as you are dealing with a very efficient and large one.

- Lots of pictures and lots of details. For selling an NSX you need to get dozens and dozens of pictures, each with painstaking descriptions. You will come across (rightly so) as a dedicated enthusiast and not another dealer looking to cover up mistakes and make a buck. You can host the pictures somewhere else if you don't want to pay Ebay.

- Make a professional web page. Most of the dealer sites suck. Make a very slick web page to help package the sale. On the digital "main street" of Ebay you want visitors coming into your "store". A well organized and laid out web page makes your site look much better then the dealers and since you don't have the overhead they have - gives you a dedicated pricing advantage.

- List your rules. You need to be specific about "as is" and "where is" and all the terms of your auction. You also need to let people know that have negative feedback, etc what to do. Don't leave any stone unturned.

As for your question - you can relist for free or get a refund if the buyer backs out.

Also - you have a fantastic car. I am sure someone will be very lucky and you will miss it. As the father of 3 under 4 - nothing can compare to the joy of fatherhood and raising children. As close to the meaning of life as I have found so congratulations to you and your wife...

Originally posted by ilya:
Tino is right about it being tough to sell. It's been months and I haven't sold it for 32K yet. I jut put it up on ebay for 31K with no reserve. Sounds like a fair offer to me.

BTW, anyone sold a car on ebay before? It said something about having to pay the final fee even if the sale does not go through. That worries me a bit. I already paid $50 to list it. Now if some bozo bids and then backs out after the auction, I may end up owing a few hundred bucks for a waste of time. I would be pretty pissed if that happened. Anyone have any experiences with this before? I'd appreciate any feedback on what to do if this happened.

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

fyi, his latest email

I didn't mean to call you a fatboy, thought that was your email. I see now it is "fastboy" sorry an honest mistake. The ad states no wholesale offers because of the low mileage and availabilty. Being honest is not an insult, your offer was. I respectfully asked for no wholesale offers. You did so anyways. Book value is $36,000 if you can find one. There are currently only two of these low mileage 1992 NSX's on ebay, the worlds marketplace. That means that they are hard to come by. We are not in a depressed market and are not in desperate to sell the car. If you can buy one ausch as this for $28,000, please do so. In the meantime for everyone you find in that price range with this kind of mileage and condition I'll buy and pay you a commission of $1000.00. Call me when you find the next one.

Thanks,

Steve

and I have found a 92 red nsx that has 49k miles and asking price is $29k. so I'll call him and inform him to cash in my $1k....what do u think guys?

mike0,
I am thinking about it. the only drawback is that the guy wouldn't let me test drive it unless I put a deposit down. nonsense don't u think? also, their asking price is $29k but there are other standing bids lower than $29k according to him and he said that the highest bidder will get the car at the end of the month. isn't that like an auction? also, to place a bid u have to put down a deposit of $1k. which was no problem if the guy had let me take it for a test drive just like the dealership I went to. this is an private used car place. Also, when I was there looking at the car, the owner didn't even approach me to ask to see if I needed any help. I had to go over to his counter to ask him. I detest and don't like to do business with stuck up ppl like that. it's is as if I couldn't afford the car. Do I have to be dressed up in a suit and tie to get attention? Just hate it when ppl stereotype. I hope that clarifies why I didn't get it.

Originally posted by madfast:
their asking price is $29k but there are other standing bids lower than $29k according to him and he said that the highest bidder will get the car at the end of the month. isn't that like an auction?

That IS an auction, and that makes his so-called "asking price" meaningless.

what a way to do business don't u think? first time I've been to such a place. they had lots of exotics like ferrari, porche, model T and the like.

Originally posted by PhoeNiSX:
Regardless of the offer price, IMHO the seller is a jackass and dumb businessman. Instead of the unnecessarily rude response, he could just as easily have said "thank you for your offer, but I'm looking for $XX,XXX" and continued negotiating, rather than stop the process cold.

Also, I agree that taking a photo of the speedo @ 86 in front a 35mph speed limit sign is pure idiocy. If I were a really peeved buyer, I might just be tempted to send the pic to the local authorities...

I agreed with the firs part of your post,but why are you gona send the pict to the local authorities? I think that is not your bussines.Like anybody on any given day haven't over speed.

Originally posted by madfast:
mike0,
I am thinking about it. the only drawback is that the guy wouldn't let me test drive it unless I put a deposit down. nonsense don't u think? also, their asking price is $29k but there are other standing bids lower than $29k according to him and he said that the highest bidder will get the car at the end of the month. isn't that like an auction? also, to place a bid u have to put down a deposit of $1k. which was no problem if the guy had let me take it for a test drive just like the dealership I went to. this is an private used car place.

What do you guys think about a 1995 nsx-t 49k miles,good inside.aoutside not perfect but good.17" rims. asking price $39.800

Originally posted by NSX TT:
good inside.aoutside not perfect but good.

What does that mean - it's been in an accident and improperly repaired? A flood?

Given how many owners describe their cars as perfect when they are far from it, I would shudder to wonder what "not perfect from good" might mean...

Remember Lud's words, about how every NSX that he's ever seen being sold for significantly below market prices turns out to be priced that way for a reason.

Back