• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

what's the world coming to when...

Originally posted by bboxer:
Lud,
With all due respect, your logic is flawed. I said "sucker" based on what you said .(you did say the guy paid over average price, didn't you ?)

He paid above-average price for an above-average car. If it were a below-average car I would expect to get a below-average price.

That seems like the simplest logic in the world to me. Where does it break down?

Your insistance that my and other people's experiences are not in line with "the real" world is by definition wrong. These ARE real-world experiences! I sold the car in the real world. I got a real check and put it in my real account at the bank. Other people here spent months searching for the right car and found that lower prices cars tend to be lower for a reason.

Obviously pricing specialty cars is not an exact science and there will be some variation both ways, but I think there are enough data points to make it clear that on average across the US it is uncommon to find a low mile mint condition NSXs that is up to date on all maintenance for under $30k.

Maybe you live in an area where the price of the car is depressed. Maybe you got lucky and found a couple sellers who were more interested in a quick sale than getting as much as they could for their car. But if you included ALL these REAL WORLD data points in your averages, instead of discounting them, your averages would change.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 29 August 2002).]

nee4speed,
thanks buddy!
smile.gif

Originally posted by robr:
bboxer, those prices you quote are completely abnormal, so don't try to portray them as being the norm. i shopped for almost a year and four years ago my 91 with 11k miles still cost me 43k.

Not really that abnormal. In January 1996, I paid $43K for a 1992 red/ivory in perfect condition with 12K miles, with 3 sets of tire certs and 2 years remaining on the extended waranty. It all depends on how interested the seller is in selling.

Back in 1995 when I started looking for a used NSX, I posted to the NSX email list. At that time, the tone from the original owners was that they were insulted that I was looking to pay "so little" for a vehicle that cost $60K+ just a few years before. Too bad, so sad, you original owners took the brunt of the depreciation so that the rest of us could get a great car at a reasonable price.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I detest people who make lowball offers. They are exploitative bottom feeders. But it's their right to make such offers, and there's no need for the seller to be rude or say anything beyond "no thanks".]

The owner was asking $46K and I offered $42K. He said "no" and that was that; after 3 weeks, he accepted my offer. I'm a bottom feeder and proud of it. It's called "getting a great deal." In this poor economy, there are sure to be bargins out there.

[This message has been edited by BryanZublin (edited 29 August 2002).]

Back