• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Where are all the Production deliveries ??

You would need it for the more powerful rear electric motor that is sandwiched between the crankshaft and transmission.

I would imagine removing this motor would be a much more involved process than removing the front motors which basically just sit by themselves, not connected to anything else that's important. The car would also lose all of its torque-fill abilities if the entire hybrid system was deleted.

The elec motor that is sandwich between the crank and transmission is there to only charge the hybrid battery pack. So if you were to remove the front TMU, then the entire hybrid system is now worthless.

Here is Honda's take:

Direct Drive Motor
The Direct Drive Motor, packaged between the twin-turbocharged V6 engine and the 9DCT, provides additional torque and power assist to the rear wheels.
power7.png

<small style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 11.9px;">NSX Direct Drive Motor</small>
To help eliminate the response delay typically associated with turbocharged engines, the Direct Drive Motor acts directly on the engine's crankshaft which, together with the front-mounted TMU, helps the NSX realize immediate, high-output and high-torque acceleration. The effectiveness of this design is particularly noticeable when accelerating from a standstill at low engine speeds.
The NSX utilizes its Direct Drive Motor to start the engine instead of using a conventional 12-volt engine starter motor. Eliminating the 12-volt starter ring gear reduced weight and layout complexity.
To help improve fuel efficiency, the NSX comes equipped with idle stop capability. Using the powerful Direct Drive Motor as an engine starter ensures that engine restarts are smooth and quick. Engine idle-stop is also fully integrated into the operation of the Automatic Brake Hold system.
Additionally, the Direct Drive Motor acts as a generator, helping to maintain the hybrid batteries at full charge to consistently support driver demands under almost any condition—even while lapping a track at full bore.
The Direct Drive Motor has a liquid cooling passage that provides consistent cooling, even when the system is being pushed to the limit, such as on a track excursion.

The elec motor that is sandwich between the crank and transmission is there to only charge the hybrid battery pack. So if you were to remove the front TMU, then the entire hybrid system is now worthless.
Not correct...... The rear electric motor is just that, not a charging unit. It may somehow contribute to charging and starting, but it is an electric motor that adds HP and more importantly, torque to the system......

Rear electric motor does supplement some torque fill and help eliminate some turbo lag. It is also the primary way for the battery packs to charge. Regenerative braking does some recharging of the system but the rear motor acts as a fail safe generator to prevent the battery from ever getting too low.

nope....they should ditch the fronts and double the rear emotor more kers....

You are correct that the Type R was always part of the plan for the 10th gen car, but to imply a successful performance variant must be amortized as part of the original plan makes no sense.

If you want to look at Type R history, the original Integra Type R was extremely successful with almost 30,000 units sold in Japan alone, and that was a car that was not part of the original Integra plan as evidenced by the extensive chassis changes necessary on the car. Honda actually lost money on the early cars due to the special processes needed to build it, but what they gained was the beginning of the legacy of Type R which has paid dividends for the Honda brand ever since.

The DC2 Type-R was based on the Integra, the engine block itself was the same exact B series block used on the run of the mill Integra as well as the Honda Civic, the chassis itself was a reinforced Integra chassis with different suspension bits specific to the ITR, but overall the costs were amortized. The LSD was pretty much the same LSD that could be purchased as an option on the same generation Civic in Japan.

It makes sense to amortize the costs if you have other vehicles in the lineup that are sharing the same exact parts.

Porsche has been doing a good job amortizing costs between the various sports car programs over the years, 986/996, 987/997, 981/991, etc, etc.

GM's Corvette has a similar method across their lineup, ZL1, Z06, ZR1, targa, coupes, convertibles, etc. Sometimes sharing engine bits with Camaro/Holden.

Honda/Acura does not have that luxury on the NC1, simply due to the fact that the vehicle is bespoke in regards to many of the components that makes up the car.

The DC2 Type-R was based on the Integra, the engine block itself was the same exact B series block used on the run of the mill Integra as well as the Honda Civic, the chassis itself was a reinforced Integra chassis with different suspension bits specific to the ITR, but overall the costs were amortized. The LSD was pretty much the same LSD that could be purchased as an option on the same generation Civic in Japan.

It makes sense to amortize the costs if you have other vehicles in the lineup that are sharing the same exact parts.

Porsche has been doing a good job amortizing costs between the various sports car programs over the years, 986/996, 987/997, 981/991, etc, etc.

GM's Corvette has a similar method across their lineup, ZL1, Z06, ZR1, targa, coupes, convertibles, etc. Sometimes sharing engine bits with Camaro/Holden.

Honda/Acura does not have that luxury on the NC1, simply due to the fact that the vehicle is bespoke in regards to many of the components that makes up the car.

I get what you are trying to say, but it's flawed in that the same exact argument could be used to encourage the development of more NSX versions. You are essentially saying that the NSX can't be amortized because it hasn't already been amortized. Not sure how this is a legitimate argument against starting to do it now with different versions that don't require much new development but could increase sales by a dramatic % difference.

A reduced feature version as I've proposed would certainly be much easier to develop than the roadster that so many people have predicted, which requires extensive chassis re-development. Yet, everyone seems to be confident that car is coming.

Last edited:
can you post a pic of the yellow?

If you go back and look at the year-end Honda financial statements, the PMC and NSX costs are bugdust in the grand scheme of things.

As Acura has said all along, this is their halo car and they are doing it just because they want to.

If you go back and look at the year-end Honda financial statements, the PMC and NSX costs are bugdust in the grand scheme of things.

As Acura has said all along, this is their halo car and they are doing it just because they want to.

Thank you.

Since the car has been a slow seller for a long time now, Acura is stuck trying to find ways on the cheap to spread the halo juice. The TLX built in the NSX factory is such an attempt (a goofy one to me, but still an attempt).

the correct tag line is "because we can" :rolleyes:

Thank you.

Since the car has been a slow seller for a long time now, Acura is stuck trying to find ways on the cheap to spread the halo juice. The TLX built in the NSX factory is such an attempt (a goofy one to me, but still an attempt).

The entire point that I am trying to make is that it makes zero sense sinking more $$ into the development costs for a product that is not selling. How do you justify the extra $$'s spent if you can't amortize the costs somehow?

Acura's best seller for the most part is the RDX/MDX combo, those vehicles will sell regardless of the existence of the NC1. The E-SHAWD is the only thing that the MDX has in common with a NSX in regards to technology that can be used as part of the marketing material to justify the NSX's existence in the first place.

The entire world doesn't revolve based on Acura's US/Canada market, the NSX does zero for countries that don't carry the Acura branded vehicles.

I spend half my time in Japan and have been to several Honda dealerships that are certified to sell the NC1, how many do you folks think that they have sold at those dealerships?

The area where I stay in Japan has ton's of Ferrari's, Lambroghini's, McLaren's, Limited Edition MB, Porsche's, etc. How many NC1's do you think that I have seen on the road here in Japan. A total of "Zero" ever since the vehicle was launched, for context I have seen a couple of NA1/NA2's on the road during that same time.

Anyways, trying to have a rational discussion with "fanatics" is rather tiresome, so I am probably done trying to explain things from an outsider's perspective.

Anyways, trying to have a rational discussion with "fanatics" is rather tiresome, so I am probably done trying to explain things from an outsider's perspective.

They will die by the sword defending the NC1.

The entire point that I am trying to make is that it makes zero sense sinking more $$ into the development costs for a product that is not selling. How do you justify the extra $$'s spent if you can't amortize the costs somehow?

FYI - Forbes just announced Honda will unveil the Type R NSX at the Tokyo auto show. Supposedly a modest bump in power, some aero, suspension/brake changes, and a $200k sticker.

Everyone here makes some great points, but we're all just guessing and trying to figure out what's going on in the minds of these Honda execs. Personally, I'm not a Honda fanatic, and I can see no logical excuse to make the NC1. It's just because they want to or because they can (as [MENTION=32732]powdbyrice[/MENTION] corrected).

FYI - Forbes just announced Honda will unveil the Type R NSX at the Tokyo auto show. Supposedly a modest bump in power, some aero, suspension/brake changes, and a $200k sticker.

Everyone here makes some great points, but we're all just guessing and trying to figure out what's going on in the minds of these Honda execs. Personally, I'm not a Honda fanatic, and I can see no logical excuse to make the NC1. It's just because they want to or because they can (as [MENTION=32732]powdbyrice[/MENTION] corrected).

If the NC1 Type-R happens, good for the people who have been waiting for the Type-R, happy for them. They should get them while they can while the NC1 remains in production.

Not sure where the Honda execs that are pushing for the NC1 are located at. In Japan the best selling vehicle overall (counting all segments and auto manufacturers) in 2018 was the Honda N-Box a Kei car, with pricing starting at: ¥1,385,640, the NSX has a starting price of: ¥23,700,000 in Japan about 17 times the price of the bread and butter car for Honda in Japan.

The FK8 Civic Type R and the S660 are kept in some showrooms for test drives as Halo vehicles since the vehicles are somewhere within the pricing range/mindset of most potential Honda buyers.
https://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/
https://www.honda.co.jp/auto/?from=navi_pulldown_c

The RLX is sold here in Japan as the Honda Legend for ¥7,074,000, the marketing material has a brief mention of the NSX in regards to the Sport Hybrid SH-AWD, but that is yet another vehicle that I am yet to see on the road in person in the Osaka metropolitan area (2nd largest metropolitan area in Japan).
https://www.honda.co.jp/LEGEND/webcatalog/performance/driving/

In Europe things are even worse, there is not even a RLX, and folks across the pond (Europe) are more excited about the Honda E than any possible variant of the NC1.

https://www.honda.co.uk/cars.html
https://www.honda.de/cars.html

Honda Australia does a better job of making use of the NSX in their landing page, at least it appears to be part of the family due to similarities in the exterior design language of the Honda vehicles that are sold in Australia:
https://www.honda.com.au/cars.html

Last edited:
Here's my April 2019 US sales comparison

NSX 23
Lexus LC 122
Nissan GTR 33
Audi R8 30
MB AMG-GT 340 Outstanding
MB SL 193 Hadn't been including, amazing number for such an old model

WOW - the number that pops is the MB AMG-GT ~ 340 cars! So many people with money :) considering these are all $100k+ cars and can easily buy you a home in Indiana or most of the midwest!

We support both generation NSX's wholeheartedly.....it's hard not to love them both for their own attributes!

If a Type-R comes out, we will have one in the garage for sure but till that happens, we will enjoy the "base" blue car :)

Might as well include I8 sales #'s as well
[h=5]BMW[/h][h=5]i8[/h][h=5]2015[/h][h=5]BMW[/h][h=5]i8[/h][h=5]2016[/h][h=5]BMW[/h][h=5]i8[/h][h=5]2017[/h][h=5]BMW[/h][h=5]i8[/h][h=5]2018[/h][h=5]BMW[/h][h=5]i8[/h][h=5]2019[/h]
January8532503223
February11354583947
March14389494791
April138130235787
May1171461864
June1371692245
July2171665572
August2101452967
September1821582755
October1491993364
November11817344133
December6561338097

<tbody style="box-sizing: border-box; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(221, 221, 221);">
</tbody>

[h=5]BMW[/h][h=5]i8[/h]

<tbody style="box-sizing: border-box; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(221, 221, 221);">
</tbody>

Checking in for yellow pics...

Back