• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Where are all the Production deliveries ??

Acura targeted a certain demographic profile for this vehicle. It would be interesting to see how that worked out for them now that they have a few years of sales data available.

yes we did post those specs somwhere...but lol I think the real sales demographic has been .............................................................................bargain hunters:tongue:

The NSX team went after the R8 buyer but the R8 buyer rents not buys.It would of been better to go after the McLaren/Ferrari buyer with a equal product at 30-40% cheaper sales price.
It was the stupidest move to add the Hybrid weight(500 lbs) without adding the power of a Hybrid System!
The NSX should of been 670hp(ICE 550, Hybrid System 120) from day one and sold at the same price as todays 573hp NSX(180-200K).
Would of been known as a poor mans P1/La Ferrari/918........there would still be a waiting list to get one!
Also it needed more interior and exterior color options from day one!

The NSX team went after the R8 buyer but the R8 buyer rents not buys.It would of been better to go after the McLaren/Ferrari buyer with a equal product at 30-40% cheaper sales price.
It was the stupidest move to add the Hybrid weight(500 lbs) without adding the power of a Hybrid System!
The NSX should of been 670hp(ICE 550, Hybrid System 120) from day one and sold at the same price as todays 573hp NSX(180-200K).
Would of been known as a poor mans P1/La Ferrari/918........there would still be a waiting list to get one!
Also it needed more interior and exterior color options from day one!

They did attempt to provide Ferrari 458 performance at R8 pricing. One of the long list of problems is the project duration ran to the release of the 488, a car that packs a much bigger punch.

I can imagine that Honda corporate didn't even want a 573 HP car, so a 670 HP version would be even less palatable for them. Remember Honda is about mobility, not disability or death after someone hits a tree.

true but for many of the buyers in the segment they want to brag that their car could kill them....but they have the skill to control it....the nsx is less of a fragile ego car.:wink:

Last edited:
They did attempt to provide Ferrari 458 performance at R8 pricing. One of the long list of problems is the project duration ran to the release of the 488, a car that packs a much bigger punch.

I can imagine that Honda corporate didn't even want a 573 HP car, so a 670 HP version would be even less palatable for them. Remember Honda is about mobility, not disability or death after someone hits a tree.

I fully agree, and have made similar comments. Had the NSX hit the market in 2014, 573 HP might have been more impressive, but the performance bar for supercars is a moving target and moving forward all the time. It is definitely possible that Honda is so conservative that bringing a car to market with massive HP made them nervous. I also think that a manufacturer has to consider reliability of an engine with out of this world HP?

As a first time supercar owner, 573 HP seems to be plenty for me at the moment, but I also have to agree with Mogami above who thought 670 HP was easily achievable, but at the time they must have felt 573 was enough, and perhaps fear of liability and concerns over reliability kept them from going any further. I'd guess they could build a monster engine, but they still have to warranty it. As HP goes up, stress increases and reliability goes down. Lots of coulda woulda shoulda's in this story.......

Honda has the hardest engine durability test in the business(survive for so many hours at full throttle,Honda's spec is double of others).
So with the NSX engine being a last moment decision there wasn't enough time to test it like Honda likes too(3-5 years) so they kept it detuned.
Also the Honda management do not understand the HP game/image towards marketing(my toy is bigger/better than yours).

Do remember the NSX was only greenlighted by CEO Ito because it was green and was going to use off the bin parts(transverse J35).
THANK GOD....the NSX Team got their way with a new engine and Long. Engine Layout(that was a miracle!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Last edited:
certainly america is not the market for restraint:rolleyes:

Speaking of more horsepower.....

Can you imagine what would happen if Honda sourced a small block Chevy V8 engine for the NSX? Pardon me while I drool. Those engines are nigh on indestructible unless you actively try to kill them....there's a reason GM has been using and modifying that old tech for over 50 years. I'm glad to have one in my CTS-V. Hey, GM owes Honda one after it borrowed J35 engines for Saturn Vues back in the day.....

But back in reality, I'm sure there's a few more hp in the NSX's ICE that Honda can exploit. Excited to see what the future is.

I fully agree, and have made similar comments. Had the NSX hit the market in 2014, 573 HP might have been more impressive, but the performance bar for supercars is a moving target and moving forward all the time. It is definitely possible that Honda is so conservative that bringing a car to market with massive HP made them nervous. I also think that a manufacturer has to consider reliability of an engine with out of this world HP?

As a first time supercar owner, 573 HP seems to be plenty for me at the moment, but I also have to agree with Mogami above who thought 670 HP was easily achievable, but at the time they must have felt 573 was enough, and perhaps fear of liability and concerns over reliability kept them from going any further. I'd guess they could build a monster engine, but they still have to warranty it. As HP goes up, stress increases and reliability goes down. Lots of coulda woulda shoulda's in this story.......
i'm sure they could have squeezed a few HP to make 601 without compromising a great deal of reliability.

while only 28 HP more, its a mental thing. whoo hoo 600 hp!

I think you guys have beaten this dead horse beyond recognition. But let me point one thing out about the price of the NSX. The 2018 911 Turbo starts out at $161,800 and has 540hp. The 911 Turbo S starts out at $190,700 and has 580hp. And the 911 Turbo doesn't weigh much less than the NSX. If any of you can honestly say the NSX isn't as good as or better than the 911T, which by the way is the car most cars are compared to, then you are all being shortsighted. The NSX wasn't priced in the 458, 488, Huracan, 570s, or 720s range MSRP. The only car priced less is the Audi R8 V8 starting at $138, 700 MSRP.

No I know many of you are going to say well you can get a used (insert car) for $XXX,XXX or a new R8 for less since they have incentives also. If you all want a 0-60, 1/4mi rocket go buy a ZR-1. But I don't see any of you running out to get a Chevy any time soon. Capisce?

All we can say is our head is dizzy reading all these posts :)

Not sure if it's from driving our 2017 NSX too quickly or from all these stats being posted. No one car is perfect! If you must compare pricing or stats, it must be new to new, apples to apples.

Once you go into the realm of used cars and I can buy xxx model with 3600 miles for $xxx dollars, that is a whole different can of worms. We have plenty of Mac owners here we do work for but those cars have their own special quarks/issues. If you live in heavily populated city with a Mac dealership you are fine, but for those who live 2-4 hours away from a dealership support system, you will want the NSX as trailering your car back and forth gets old really fast.

If you live in heavily populated city with a Mac dealership you are fine, but for those who live 2-4 hours away from a dealership support system, you will want the NSX as trailering your car back and forth gets old really fast.

Exactly. For instance, closest McLaren dealer to Cleveland is Philadelphia, an 8-hour drive. NO THANKS. (Not to mention, awful depreciation on the Macs and their special quirks and the funny sounding exhaust....) Luckily have a good Acura dealer in the neighborhood and Source 1 within a morning drive in a reliable supercar.

If you live in heavily populated city with a Mac dealership you are fine, but for those who live 2-4 hours away from a dealership support system, you will want the NSX as trailering your car back and forth gets old really fast.

I was a "fly on the wall" at my local Cars and Coffee a few weeks ago, and some of the comments were interesting to say the least. I parked next to a McLaren 650S, which was orange and the owner had it in baller mode with the doors up. Two F-cars behind mine, a 360 and an F430. A few haters, but the NSX held it's own. Anyways, one of the more interesting conversations had one guy pointing at the NSX and talking about how the values on the car are going to tank. The other guy popped right back by pointing out how much the McLaren has dropped, and by the way the car would have to be trucked over 2 hours away to the nearest dealership on a regular basis. And if you don't have a warranty........well, you better have a warranty.

In Phoenix, the McLaren dealer sponsored a drive up to Prescott not too long ago. I'll bet that it was the first time that most of the cars that attended had ever been driven outside of the city limits. In the meantime, I bought my NSX at a Chicago dealership and drove it without hesitation all the way down to Arizona. I'm going to take her to NSXPO and back as well, with absolutely no doubts as to the reliability of the car. You can't put a dollar sign on that kind of peace of mind. Being able to own a car in this segment that you can drive every day or on long road trips, and get repaired at the local Acura dealer, is the game changer that ultimately pushed towards getting the new NSX over a different exotic. So what if the car is half a second slower in the 1/4 mile than XX? So what if XX car is a few seconds faster around the Ring? Tell me how fast those cars are when they are sitting in your garage because you are afraid to drive it, or broken down on the side of the road.

I was a "fly on the wall" at my local Cars and Coffee a few weeks ago, and some of the comments were interesting to say the least. I parked next to a McLaren 650S, which was orange and the owner had it in baller mode with the doors up. Two F-cars behind mine, a 360 and an F430. A few haters, but the NSX held it's own. Anyways, one of the more interesting conversations had one guy pointing at the NSX and talking about how the values on the car are going to tank. The other guy popped right back by pointing out how much the McLaren has dropped, and by the way the car would have to be trucked over 2 hours away to the nearest dealership on a regular basis. And if you don't have a warranty........well, you better have a warranty.

In Phoenix, the McLaren dealer sponsored a drive up to Prescott not too long ago. I'll bet that it was the first time that most of the cars that attended had ever been driven outside of the city limits. In the meantime, I bought my NSX at a Chicago dealership and drove it without hesitation all the way down to Arizona. I'm going to take her to NSXPO and back as well, with absolutely no doubts as to the reliability of the car. You can't put a dollar sign on that kind of peace of mind. Being able to own a car in this segment that you can drive every day or on long road trips, and get repaired at the local Acura dealer, is the game changer that ultimately pushed towards getting the new NSX over a different exotic. So what if the car is half a second slower in the 1/4 mile than XX? So what if XX car is a few seconds faster around the Ring? Tell me how fast those cars are when they are sitting in your garage because you are afraid to drive it, or broken down on the side of the road.

AGREE 100% with that analogy. As i posted a few pages back the NSX has 90% look and performance of the Mac with better reliability.
I wish someone had been able to crack the ECU but it doesn't seem that's gonna happen.

I actually thought, for the first time in a while, that this thread was quite civil, and the comments were interesting and informative?

I actually thought, for the first time in a while, that this thread was quite civil, and the comments were interesting and informative?

I was trying to be sarcastic with other response. This happens to be one of the better threads about the car. ��

Exactly. For instance, closest McLaren dealer to Cleveland is Philadelphia, an 8-hour drive. NO THANKS. (Not to mention, awful depreciation on the Macs and their special quirks and the funny sounding exhaust....).../QUOTE]

And the fact that they're ugly....

With all due respect, this passage demonstrates that these are 2 very different buyers (NSX and exotics). Honda misunderstood this fact at their peril.

Exactly. For instance, closest McLaren dealer to Cleveland is Philadelphia, an 8-hour drive. NO THANKS. (Not to mention, awful depreciation on the Macs and their special quirks and the funny sounding exhaust....).../QUOTE]

And the fact that they're ugly....
but it has exhaust that comes out the top! :cool:

its been said you cant draw a lady with straight lines. will the sharp crease design of the nsx and the lamborghini age well? i cant see many of today's designs aging gracefully as designs of the past.

Back