• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Where are all the Production deliveries ??

what 75k car does it look like?:confused:

my opinion is it looks wow...and exotic....but to overcome the brand hurdle it needs more juice..the nsx name alone is not doing it.Now if you really learn about the car it has some unique production methods, and has the hybrid tech..It also is a car you could hop in and drive cross country...and get serviced in every metro area....just sayin....

Please understand that it's a car in the responsability of the US division of Honda, not Japan. So Japan is not in the charge.

this may be the first and largest problem for this car. i never understood how a prideful Japan could allow their flagship to be designed and manufactured by Americans in America...

Not sure if it has to do with other circumstances. Like people waiting for going all electric or the self-driving (or self-crashing :)) cars.

In Germany, there's a discussion about a new generation of teens being more and more indifferent about owning and driving a car. They had a Playstation and play games all day long but the real thing is not of any interest to them anymore. In a game they can drive dozens of different cars within an hour. They do appreciate seeing their favorite car 'in the flesh' but they don't want to own one. They regard it as a millstone around the neck. Some of them also regard some kind of sporty cars (like the new Type R) as 'lower class' they don't want to belong to.
Why the example of Germany? Because it's the country where the first spoken word of a baby was not 'mom' or 'dad' but 'car', the saying goes. :) docjohn indicated correctly the US is not Europe. Leaving me open the question who the typical NSX buyer is. They've a hard time selling them in Europe too.

but have they had a hard time selling R8's, 911's, GTR's (and 488's, Huracans, etc.) in Europe? i am guessing not.

and while you're correct that the new generation of teens are infinitely more concerned with getting the latest iPhone 13 than a driver's license, they are certainly not the intended and actual demographic for purchasing these types of vehicles...

if you really learn about the car it has some unique production methods, and has the hybrid tech..It also is a car you could hop in and drive cross country...and get serviced in every metro area....just sayin....

Exactly, the technology is all there. It's a budget La Ferrari! I want this car if it only wasn't so ugly. I'm upset they did such a poor design job with this car because I really want it. My wife told me no way we're trading the Lamborghini for that thing. I resisted and drove 2 hours to look at one. After seeing it she's right. It does not have the looks of a supercar, not even close.

this may be the first and largest problem for this car. i never understood how a prideful Japan could allow their flagship to be designed and manufactured by Americans in America...
Maybe they didn't want to take a potential loss but didn't want to disappoint Honda US.

but have they had a hard time selling R8's, 911's, GTR's (and 488's, Huracans, etc.) in Europe? i am guessing not.
Other sportcars are selling relatively good if they're special enough. There's certainly not an overproduction like in the US. A comparison: imagine a Fiat dealer would put a Ferrari in his showroom to attract people. None of the average Fiat-buyer has the means to buy a Ferrari. On the other hand, a real F-car buyer in a Fiat-store??? That's a problem in the US, too many dealers with too many showrooms. The car IS an image changer for the Acura-brand. But a limited production would have been better, see LF-A 10 years ago.

and while you're correct that the new generation of teens are infinitely more concerned with getting the latest iPhone 13 than a driver's license, they are certainly not the intended and actual demographic for purchasing these types of vehicles...
True, maybe not the teens but the people in the rushhour of their life (30+) who have the means. But if their priorities moved in the youth they might not change their mind when they get older...Young people might regard older men with cars like dinosaurs. :)

I think they should stop production in 1-2 years, do a final edition and concentrate on making profit.

Exactly, the technology is all there. It's a budget La Ferrari! I want this car if it only wasn't so ugly. I'm upset they did such a poor design job with this car because I really want it. My wife told me no way we're trading the Lamborghini for that thing. I resisted and drove 2 hours to look at one. After seeing it she's right. It does not have the looks of a supercar, not even close.
1. Listen to your wife. :)
2. Maybe the right color would make the car look more desirable?

my opinion is it looks wow...and exotic....but to overcome the brand hurdle it needs more juice..the nsx name alone is not doing it.Now if you really learn about the car it has some unique production methods, and has the hybrid tech..It also is a car you could hop in and drive cross country...and get serviced in every metro area....just sayin....

Doc, You normally have quite insightful comments; however, I think you may off on a few elements. I'm afraid the vast majority of the people that buy these cars could care less of how its made. They don't care how much Green pixie dust is used in the production of the car. Certainly, the hybrid tech isn't drawing people either (from what I see it alienates many).

Also, the concept of reliability is not as significant an issue as before. I've literally hopped in my Ferrari and driven 1000 miles in one without issue (other than distracted drivers with their camera phones nearly running me off the road). I would completely agree that the pre-Ferrari 360's were nightmarish in maintenance (engine out), but since the 360's the Ferraris are "relatively" sane to maintain. I don't have a Lambo, Audi or Porsche but can't imagine that their modern versions are maintenance hogs or reliability nightmares.

The concept of having the new NSX maintained anywhere seems to be a fallacy. Recall that Acura dealerships needed to have specific equipment and training to service NSX's, so no Honda dealership in Muskogee, OK can service car. Additionally, I believe there are only a handful of truly talented, caring, capable people suited to service the new NSX. Heck, the V1 NSX uses now common place Honda technology yet many of us here on the forums only seek out the talented few to touch our cars. The rarity of the new NSX adds to the issue for there are a lot of NSX techs that have very limited experience doing anything on the new V2 NSX. There is an added level of bizarre complexity to the new NSX that I don't think many are grasping. For example, the multitude of engine oil drain points baffles me and will certainly result in future problems. The dry-sump Ferrari's have two drain points not nearly a half dozen like the V2 NSX! As the limited number of V2 NSX's start gaining mileage, I fear many will see that the complexity added to the vehicle to meet the self-imposed Green mandate will result in a litany of costly issues further degrading the desirability of the car for future owners. Finally, I do applaud Acura for having these driving events. I really want to like the car, but there are far too many issues that steer me away from the car.

Personally, I think the car overall looks nice, but not anywhere near as intoxicating as the original V1 NSX. As owners here describe that you must experience the car to appreciate it. I had the great fortune of driving a new NSX with near open freedom. I drove it hard, soft and everywhere in between. Yeah, its pretty fast, low slung, but overall was not a compelling vehicle for me. This was exacerbated further afterwards when I got in my Ferrari and decided that the new NSX wasn't that great. Sure a lot of engineering effort was invested in the car, but for what? To say they have a hybrid. Great. Now give us what we want! I believe many others feel the same for they have had a number of these driving events and if they were truly successful the number of cars sold should be significantly greater. In fact, I see posts where people go the events, state the car is fast, handles decently,etc but few are stating they are opening their wallets and placing an order. Rather the best we see is, "I'll wait till lease returns come back", "I'll wait a few more years to see what improvements they make" or any other various excuse.

The problem at hand is not marketing but one of product direction. Acura has the engineering talent to fix the matter, we'll see if they can overcome their leader's blinding arrogance to deliver what we're wanting.

Last edited:
So 3 is not a good number? :)
I wonder how the R8 and other competitors are doing month to month?

More than 3
attachment.php

haha my insight has been blinded...but obviously my opinions are based on ownership of a 96 and a short drive of the new car....but also meeting and speaking with some of the production team through the years..so maybe I am a heterozygous fanboy:redface:

like spock I am blinded by emotion...

Last edited:
Styling on the 458 is spectacular - in my opinion it is the best looking ferrari since the 355. With that said, comparing the NSX to it introduces a few challenges:
1. The 458 is a NA car. Once the turbo was introduced in the 488, the styling took a severe hit. I have seen the two in person and there is no comparison, the 458 is MUCH cleaner and sharper. The 488 suffers from air intake problems.
2. The NSX is a hybrid. In addition to turbo feed, you have severe cooling problems. I recall Ted Klaus commenting that Aerothermodynamics was one of the major challenges in this vehicle and knowing what is going on with the car I can belive it. To provide cooling, turbo air intake AND not kill your drag ratio is a major juggling act that introduces some styling challenges.
3. The NSX is going to get beat on harder. Honda builds road cars, Ferrari builds experience cars. There is a BIG difference from an engineering standpoint there and the NSX had to be more bulletproof than the Ferrari because it is likely to get abused with much more mileage. You take a Ferrari out when you want to feel a thrill - the NSX was built to be taken out daily. Check used 458 listings - very few even have over 30,000 miles. I expect that to be a common mileage for used NSXs in a few years.

I think it is better to compare the styling to the true NSX competitors - Audi R8, Benz AMG, Nissan GTR and the Porsche 911. I think it is a much sharper looking car than the R8 & 911 externally and loads better than the GTR. The Benz is a completely different style, so hard to compare (I really dig the AMG styling too!).

I would probably put a used 458 in my garage before putting a NSX 2 in my garage, but I already have a classic NSX, so I am looking for a different route. An "experience" car is probably a better fit for me.

I must be different.
I am not in the market for the new NSX, but if I would, I would buy it in an instant.

Why?

Because I just want to have something different, something that is really special.

A Ferrari or a Lambo seems to be what succesfull people buy because they seem to think that is what one should/would buy if they can.
Just like a 911 is the typical sports car people buy who just want 'a' sportscar. Even succesful people often still act like they just are a member of the crowd.
I never wanted to be 'in' with the rest, never felt the need for it. So I would buy a car that basically no one buys.

So, if you have lots of money to spend on a car and still want to be mainstream, go out and buy the R8, the 911, the GT or a 458/488. No problem

Me, I am not mainstream. I go my own way. And I will buy the NSX.

And the wife? She doesn't know much about cars anyway. If she is so much into 'brand name's', she can buy her own Ferrari or Lambo or whatever and drive it.

Styling on the 458 is spectacular - in my opinion it is the best looking ferrari since the 355. With that said, comparing the NSX to it introduces a few challenges:
1. The 458 is a NA car. Once the turbo was introduced in the 488, the styling took a severe hit. I have seen the two in person and there is no comparison, the 458 is MUCH cleaner and sharper. The 488 suffers from air intake problems.

i fully agree with what you're saying here about the 458, and said virtually the same thing about 10 posts back; that the 458 is the perfect blend of Supercar. it's sexy from every angle, light, steers, stops, is very reliable, has a wailer of a V8 (9,000 rpm redline!), and it's exhilarating just sitting in it. the 488 is heaps faster, it's not even comparable really, but the 458 is a better, more visceral "experience" for sure. and unless you're racing, i think most (average people) prefer the 458 over the 488...

Other sportcars are selling relatively good if they're special enough.

That's a problem in the US, too many dealers with too many showrooms.

but it doesn't seem to be a problem for Audi, Porsche or Benz? i can't imagine there being a huge difference between the number and proximity of Audi and Acura showrooms in America. they must be fairly equivalent? they sell little cars, mid-size cars, SUV's. more or less all the same models (albeit at a slightly higher average cost across the board). yet it's 76 to 3 last month for Supercar sales.

thinking about it now, we often hear the excuse that Acura has too big of a price gap between the NSX and the rest of their line. it would seem Nissan has a fairly large gap too no? not quite as large as an MDX or whatever Acura builds to an NSX. but the GTR is what, twice as expensive as Nissan's next cheapest model? and somehow they're still moving 40 to 60 of those 12-year old boat anchors each month...

LOL. it's funny to watch all of you argue each other for such pointless topic.

the sales number already tells a fact. they only 6 units and it is now 3 for whatever reason. so leave this headache to American Honda corporation's top management because they are the people who need to worry about it, period.

Mustang, Camaro, GTR, Vette, even noticed hints of a Lexus RX I saw this morning. It's not exotic looking. There's no WOW when looking at it.

To the Japanese the American Muscle Cars.... are WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! To Them the Muscle Car is the most Exotic car.

The NSX was designed at the Tokyo Design Center under Toshinoba Minami(Ext.) and Yoshinori Asahi(Int.) drawing design clues from the American Muscle Car(NA American Market was planned to be it's main market).
Autonews.com story on June 11, 2012
Then it was passed over to the LA Design Center to finish and make more Acura like.

Mustang, Camaro, GTR, Vette, even noticed hints of a Lexus RX I saw this morning. It's not exotic looking. There's no WOW when looking at it.

Are you F**king kidding me? This car snaps more necks than any car I've ever been in, by far. It's very exotic looking. Sorry, but your opinion is your opinion, but it's lacking in reality. There are things that this car lacks, but the exotic look is not one of them.

You think us fanboys are bummed, imagine the dealers that bought into the hype. I was in Madison today chatting with a service guy and he said the ones they sold all went out of the area, so their investment in the training and specialized equipment is not likely to ever recoup.

I like having unique cars. In my area there are multiple Lambos, Ferraris and even McLarens, but to my knowledge, I have the only Gen 2 and 930. It's fun to be different, enjoy it. Drive it. The heck with the badge hunters.

Are you F**king kidding me? This car snaps more necks than any car I've ever been in, by far. It's very exotic looking. Sorry, but your opinion is your opinion, but it's lacking in reality. There are things that this car lacks, but the exotic look is not one of them.

Gobble's opinion is his, and yours is yours, but i don't think he's kidding you. sure, the NSX is low and wide, but an exotic look it does not particularly possess. a Lamborghini, Ferrari, McLaren, definitely exotic. the new NSX, a bit pedestrian in comparison...

i fully agree with what you're saying here about the 458, and said virtually the same thing about 10 posts back; that the 458 is the perfect blend of Supercar. it's sexy from every angle, light, steers, stops, is very reliable, has a wailer of a V8 (9,000 rpm redline!), and it's exhilarating just sitting in it. the 488 is heaps faster, it's not even comparable really, but the 458 is a better, more visceral "experience" for sure. and unless you're racing, i think most (average people) prefer the 458 over the 488...

but it doesn't seem to be a problem for Audi, Porsche or Benz? i can't imagine there being a huge difference between the number and proximity of Audi and Acura showrooms in America. they must be fairly equivalent? they sell little cars, mid-size cars, SUV's. more or less all the same models (albeit at a slightly higher average cost across the board). yet it's 76 to 3 last month for Supercar sales.

thinking about it now, we often hear the excuse that Acura has too big of a price gap between the NSX and the rest of their line. it would seem Nissan has a fairly large gap too no? not quite as large as an MDX or whatever Acura builds to an NSX. but the GTR is what, twice as expensive as Nissan's next cheapest model? and somehow they're still moving 40 to 60 of those 12-year old boat anchors each month...

That's because the R35 out-accelerates a AMG GT, R8, and NSX 2.0 for 99K list and can be bought for $85K brand new these days. I own a 2016 and for the money nothing beats its 2.8-2.9s rush to 60mph, 10.8-11.0 quarter mile blast and 194 MPH top speed. Plus the engine is hand made in Tochigi by one of five takumi and the tuning possibilities are beyond endless. I agree with your NSX 2.0 views, no question. But come on, the R35 is the pride of Japanese sports cars and the Japanese racing circuit. It's iconic. It attracts a large crowd every single day of the week in the Nissan Showroom in Ginza. It was designed by Shiro Nakamura to be 100% Japanese and resemble RX-93 Gundam. It doesn't try to copy anyone, it always does it's own thing and it has the street cred other cars wish they had. NSX 2.0 has the severe, apparently irreversible sales problem--R35 sales are up 30% year on year...⚡

To the Japanese the American Muscle Cars.... are WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! To Them the Muscle Car is the most Exotic car.

The NSX was designed at the Tokyo Design Center under Toshinoba Minami(Ext.) and Yoshinori Asahi(Int.) drawing design clues from the American Muscle Car(NA American Market was planned to be it's main market).
Autonews.com story on June 11, 2012
Then it was passed over to the LA Design Center to finish and make more Acura like.

Um...then how come Michelle Christensen is officially credited with the NSX 2.0 design in all the Honda marketing materials and PR outreach...?

It's pointless to argue about style...... It is totally subjective, eye of the beholder, to each his own. It serves no purpose to try to change someone's mind about how they feel about the styling of the NSX or any other car good or bad. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I could give a long list of supercars that I personally would not buy because their style does nothing to move me, but it's just personal opinion, and in the end, means nothing....... What I continue to be amazed by is this rabid obsession people have to denigrate the car. It's fine to not like the car and have an opinion, but these continued repetitive rants about it are just stupidity and pointless. There are cars that I don't care for stylewise, but I have never felt compelled to find their web forum pages and bash the car incessantly...... Why people feel compelled to do it here escapes me.

Anyway, I think the NSX is a great looking car. It's different and not for everyone. I would not personally buy a Ferrari 458 for various personal reasons, but that doesn't mean I think it's not a great car. And the same courtesy should be shown for the NSX.

Back