• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Where are all the Production deliveries ??

Does the ILX stand for Ill Looking eXperimental?:biggrin:

I hope Honda will address the sales disaster of Acura...the whole luxury division hinges on 2 suv's....

I had a 2018 MDX for a loaner for 10 days, and didn't care much for it and wouldn't buy one.......

Regarding monthly sales, the first gen cars didn't have annual/monthly sales much different than what is being sold now?????? Nobody deemed those cars failures based on sales volumes? I suppose the low volumes will keep the car rare. I'd rather own 1 of 1500 NSX's than 1 of 40,000 Corvettes......

October 2018 US Sales

NSX 18
Ford GT 8
R8 75
AMG-GT 79
GT-R 20
LC 500 140

Clearly, revised Continentals did not fix the sales issue

Lexus is doing well it appears...... I saw an LC500 Jan. of 2018 at a car show, and I thought it was quite impressive in person. Very exotic looking. I have never read a particularly positive driving review of the car. It was described as heavy and non responsive...... But it's under $100k, looks good, and open to a much broader market than a car that is $150K+

Regarding monthly sales, the first gen cars didn't have annual/monthly sales much different than what is being sold now??????

There's an early production 2019 NSX on cars.com with serial number 1971 (US VIN ...KY000004). So roughly 1960 units were produced for the whole world in the first two model years (2017+2018).

First gen: in the USA alone, 3163 were sold in model year 1991 and 1270 in 1992, a total of 4433 units in the first two model years. The USA accounted for about 50% of worldwide first gen sales (so says the Prime wiki).

I had a 2018 MDX for a loaner for 10 days, and didn't care much for it and wouldn't buy one.......

Regarding monthly sales, the first gen cars didn't have annual/monthly sales much different than what is being sold now?????? Nobody deemed those cars failures based on sales volumes? I suppose the low volumes will keep the car rare. I'd rather own 1 of 1500 NSX's than 1 of 40,000 Corvettes......

Well...sort of. Here's a graph I threw together that shows in 2017, at 581 units, the Gen 2 outsold the previous generation in sales for 11 of its production years ('94 + '96-'05). The Gen 1 NSX only had 4 years during its entire run from '91 to '05 where sales had increased from the previous year.

nsx_sales_comparison.jpg

(based on US sales figures from carsalesbase.com)

However, by looking at incrementation, Gen 2's trending is not starting out anywhere near the momentum Gen 1 apparently had. The difference alone in the first 3 years is 3,000+ units. Perhaps the most telling marker, however, is the Year 3 projection for 2018 (at 122 units w/2 months remaining).

Even if they sold 30-40 units in the last 60 days it's looking like it's not likely that sales will exceed or even tie the first year which indicates (at least on paper) a decline. So far, both gens highest peak has been Y2, and during the Gen 1's subsequent decline only had 3 upticks after that ('95, '02, and '05). So on the flip side, the total number of units sold for 2018 might end up being beat by every single production year from '91-'05 of the Gen 1.

Last edited:
I came back to post NSX lifetime production numbers from carsalesbase.com, and vf2ss beat me to it with that spiffy chart..... very good! Tom's numbers are not right, no offense to Tom..... I don't really know much about the Gen 1 cars, but I would assume that their comparative retail price was not as high compared to other cars as the new NSX is, and therefore more people could afford one? I don't see much of a reason for there to be increased sales in the 2019 car. Tires, sway bars and a few tweaks here and there just aren't enough to motivate large masses to buy one. And there is still that price perception thing going on. There needs to be something substantive...... But the early Gen 1 cars really never evolved that much either did they?? Perhaps explaining their gradual decline?

I came back to post NSX lifetime production numbers from carsalesbase.com, and vf2ss beat me to it with that spiffy chart..... very good! Tom's numbers are not right, no offense to Tom.....

No offense taken!
Which numbers aren't right? The serial number of the 2019 is from a pic on the web. The 1991/1992 numbers are from the Prime wiki.

Tom, The 91 and 92 sales numbers you quoted from Wiki. I do not think they are correct. But I am quoting from a source online too so who really knows. I know the chart above has the same numbers as me. The site I got NSX sales figures from is here: http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/acura/acura-nsx/

I don't recall what the serial numbers meant? I know there was talk about it a year ago or so. But your logic makes sense, and I recall something about these being relative to engine or something. It's a different number than the VIN #. Maybe someone with a better memory than me can confirm your theorey.

I think maybe these were sequential numbers of cars built, with sequential VIN numbers for USA cars and Different VIN numbers for export cars??? For example, the 1250th car built may have had a USA vin of 750, and the 1251st car built may have had an export VIN#225, and it was sent overseas?
I think that is how it worked...... Numbers are just for example and not actual!

Last edited:
Tom, The 91 and 92 sales numbers you quoted from Wiki. I do not think they are correct. But I am quoting from a source online too so who really knows. I know the chart above has the same numbers as me. The site I got NSX sales figures from is here: http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/acura/acura-nsx/

I don't recall what the serial numbers meant? I know there was talk about it a year ago or so. But your logic makes sense, and I recall something about these being relative to engine or something. It's a different number than the VIN #. Maybe someone with a better memory than me can confirm your theorey.

The Prime wiki numbers are production numbers by model year. The carsalesbase.com numbers are sales by calendar year. They can both be correct, but won't match because "model year 1991" cars were first sold in 1990, "model year 1992" cars were first sold in 1991, etc. Production is a different achievement than sales but both are interesting to look at.

The gen 2 serial number refers to production, not sales (not all of the 2017/2018 production is even sold yet). Acura's explanation of the serial number is below.

nc1sn.png

FWIW.....MSRP for 2005 $89,765

...and here's a window sticker from 1994.

The economists in our membership can extrapolate
how these numbers corollate to today's dollars.

P1010451.jpg

There's an early production 2019 NSX on cars.com with serial number 1971 (US VIN ...KY000004). So roughly 1960 units were produced for the whole world in the first two model years (2017+2018).

First gen: in the USA alone, 3163 were sold in model year 1991 and 1270 in 1992, a total of 4433 units in the first two model years. The USA accounted for about 50% of worldwide first gen sales (so says the Prime wiki).

FFBDB159-A6B6-4A2B-A61D-6E7C72009C41.jpg

I took this picture of the thermal orange at NSXPO. probably the first 2019 car. John Watts mentioned Thermal Orange is so hot, they may have to limit the orange production numbers. October and November production allocation are at 100%, NSXPO2018 477.jpg

orange is the new black...........

Yeah dollars to dollars the americas dollar was very strong compared to the Can Dollar in 2002, at that time (02) the base NSX was about 142k CAN - at its beginning it was about 90ish CAN in 1991/92 . in todays dollars that 90s price is about 155K or so, more so if you look at the CAN MSRP from 05 to now. Now considering you are getting literally twice the performance, more sophistication, refinement and modernization, I think that a few extra bucks more than makes up for that. (seems our market base price is a bit subsidized based on US to CAN pricing so I'm not complaining. oh and as a side note all the cars that got bonkers spec'd are not really getting premiums on the used market at this time of year so I'm very optimistically tracking all the cars for sale up here in the great white north at the moment. it will be interesting to see what happens as the cold weather sets in...

That’s not one you’d want. Does it say who the seller is?

I brought it up because it's early 2019 production, so the serial number would be not far beyond the point where 2018 production ended and 2019 began, no? It's a rough measure but I don't have more specific information.

The car is offered by DCH Montclair Acura at https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/752938124/overview/ and the VIN and serial number are in photos near the end of the set. It is, of course, orange. :smile:

From Jan 1991 Automobile Magazine

You would think it was written sometime last year...history having repeated itself?

markup_1991.jpg

Last edited:
Back