• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Where are all the Production deliveries ??

Ok, we get it, the Gen 1 has a firm place in history, and that's well deserved. The Gen 2 is too expensive/complicated/over-designed/unproven for many faithful Gen 1 owners, also understandable. Honda decided to make a tech-rich R&D platform that actually made it to market at a really good price point for a mid-engine hybrid supercar. $160k for what this car offers is really quite amazing.

If you judge cars by tenths of a second on performance charts, then this car sucks and you've said your peace. Move on already. This car was built to test a unique set of tech to produce an interesting driving experience. In many ways the Gen 1 was the same philosophy in the 90's. The 348, 964 Turbo and Diablo all made more power, but the NSX was unique and interesting. I for one think the same today and Honda still did a better job of keeping the price down than the big 3 and McLaren have.

This is supposed to be an NSX enthusiast site and specifically the Gen 2 section. I chose to buy this car over a slew of great cars on the market because it's something different and I respect what it is, a test platform with new ideas and early production flaws. I know many, if not most, of the Gen 2 owners bought for the same reasons.

After 18 months of ownership I still smile when I hit the go pedal, and that's the true test of a car's worth in my opinion. Sports cars are rarely an investment. They are toys and should be evaluated on whether they bring driving joy.

I could rattle off plenty of things I don't like about the Gen 1, but it's still a wonderful car. Same for the Gen 2.

Kind of, but not really...Honda didn't produce brand new tech. They leap frogged off of others. The car is no way compareable to what Honda did in the early 90's.
That being said, I agree that we all sound quite repedative in our rants. But try to understand, we stuck by the brand and waited years for this. Yes, this is an Nsx enthusiast site. Therefore, the things we dislike get brutally beaten into oblivion while good things might go unseen by the masses...:biggrin:

I was curious and looked into this. According to the service manual, the camshaft does have to come out to change a shim.

I did plenty of DIY valve adjustments on my E46 M3 (S54) which has shims. You pull them out from under the rocker with a little magnet on a stick. Camshaft stays in place.

Furthermore when I was in the NSX engine room at the Honda engine plant in Anna (Ohio) I asked about the valve adjustment and the master engine builders were of the opinion that, although they had to put one on the service schedule as a CYA, it was unlikely the engine would ever actually need it.

I did plenty of DIY valve adjustments on my E46 M3 (S54) which has shims. You pull them out from under the rocker with a little magnet on a stick. Camshaft stays in place.

Furthermore when I was in the NSX engine room at the Honda engine plant in Anna (Ohio) I asked about the valve adjustment and the master engine builders were of the opinion that, although they had to put one on the service schedule as a CYA, it was unlikely the engine would ever actually need it.

Thanks for this clarification!

I changed shims on my 1985 MR2 several times and also never had to remove a camshaft.

⬆︎⬆︎⬆︎ I agree - it does hurt the eyes doesn't it?

This doesn't hurt my eyes....

DSCN3541.jpg

I get that you like posting these charts showing the dismal sales of the NSX but why not just report that instead of making us look through the whole chart to see the latest bad news. I doubt anyone here really cares how many Insights Honda sold.

What are talking about, damn near 400% yoy sales up tick...hehehe....:tongue:

During my recent oil change waiting to enter the service lane a sales lady comes out to chat. Said she’s been there 30 years and sold some of the original NSXs. Then she excitedly said she just sold one to a local... I asked what color? She said “that light beige color.” I said thanks and rolled the window up. What’s wrong with Acura and their sales people?

During my recent oil change waiting to enter the service lane a sales lady comes out to chat. Said she’s been there 30 years and sold some of the original NSXs. Then she excitedly said she just sold one to a local... I asked what color? She said “that light beige color.” I said thanks and rolled the window up. What’s wrong with Acura and their sales people?

The car just doesn't fit in their line up.

The sales folks move MDX and RDX all day long.

The NSX is a unicorn, they don't work with it enough and the kind of sales folks at an Acura store are not wired/incentivized for the enthusiast market.

Here's my April 2019 US sales comparison

NSX 23
Lexus LC 122
Nissan GTR 33
Audi R8 30
MB AMG-GT 340 Outstanding
MB SL 193 Hadn't been including, amazing number for such an old model

TLX sales are down in part because it’s the last year for the current model, and the new one is on the horizon. They’ve been down for some time, though, so it may just be uncompetitive product.

Yes [MENTION=32021]neuronbob[/MENTION], I'm patiently waiting for the Type S trim as well. I'm wishing for an ILX that has the CTR's turbo engine (6 speed would be a dream but I'd settle for the DCT).

New $20,000 incentive thru March 2020. From Automobile magazine:

"Fancy a high-tech supercar with a load of cash on the hood to help defray the downpayment? The 2019 Acura NSX has a $20,000 discount off whatever price you can negotiate.

The incentive is not listed on the Acura.com consumer website, but research by MotorTrend affiliate IntelliChoice into JATO Dynamics data uncovered the secret incentive on the exotic hybrid, which starts at $159,300. And it's not going away any time soon, as JATO says the incentive has been booked through March 31, 2020.

Although Acura updated the 2019 NSX to our liking, sales of the NSX had been slowing. In 2018, Acura sold only 170 units, compared to a still-modest 581 in 2017 and 269 in an abbreviated 2016. So far, the incentive appears to be working; much of the NSX's 42 percent year-to-date sales increase came after the incentive was quietly launched in mid-March."

New $20,000 incentive thru March 2020. From Automobile magazine:

"Fancy a high-tech supercar with a load of cash on the hood to help defray the downpayment? The 2019 Acura NSX has a $20,000 discount off whatever price you can negotiate.

The incentive is not listed on the Acura.com consumer website, but research by MotorTrend affiliate IntelliChoice into JATO Dynamics data uncovered the secret incentive on the exotic hybrid, which starts at $159,300. And it's not going away any time soon, as JATO says the incentive has been booked through March 31, 2020.

Although Acura updated the 2019 NSX to our liking, sales of the NSX had been slowing. In 2018, Acura sold only 170 units, compared to a still-modest 581 in 2017 and 269 in an abbreviated 2016. So far, the incentive appears to be working; much of the NSX's 42 percent year-to-date sales increase came after the incentive was quietly launched in mid-March."

This sounds like a last ditch effort to clear out inventory and stop selling the car after March 2020.

an aggressive lease program with low down payment would keep the factory humming...

just keep it going till they make the type R version I would get:cool:

Back