• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Where did you buy your NSX?

New to the new to me NSX market and, primarily looking for a targa, I've searched in the classifieds here, Autotrader, Hemmings and eBay. Am I missing other obvious places? With the limited numbers produced, I wonder what's the typical used inventory available? I'm in no rush and willing to wait for the right one to come around.

I found mine here on Prime. But 3 others I looked at I found on eBay, Craigslist, and Autotrader. I'd recommend the usual suspects...Craigslist, Autotrader, Cars.com, eBay, the classifieds here on Prime, the NSX Prime Facebook Group. All good places to start. For Craigslist use search tempest so you can search the whole country at once.

New to the new to me NSX market and, primarily looking for a targa, I've searched in the classifieds here, Autotrader, Hemmings and eBay. Am I missing other obvious places? With the limited numbers produced, I wonder what's the typical used inventory available? I'm in no rush and willing to wait for the right one to come around.

Found one of mine on the Prime classifieds, one on Bring a Trailer and one from a friend / fellow Prime member. BAT is definitely mixed results - the one I got was thankfully in outstanding shape, partially because I knew the owner from Prime and knew I wouldn't be disappointed, but looking at some other BAT results that hasn't always been the case. Granted, circumstances are always different for each car but I think the Prime classifieds are likely the best venue for these cars if you want something that's been properly looked after and cared for.

Also - if you find one you like, you could always post up here to see if anyone has any info on it before you buy. The knowledge base people have around here on individual cars and VINs is amazing.

Are we allowed to just post ads and vins of cars for feedback? Thought that would be against site rules
[MENTION=32200]RacerXwing[/MENTION] has compiled tons of data points for NSX sales over the last several years (both asking price and selling price). You can find his data here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...giPanuhIfiHDIcsmwfqBxOUZJb_-WUwbcHb7L/pubhtml

I would recommend you take the ads you are seeing and use Eric's data to help determine what a fair price for the ones you are looking at would be if you want a good idea of where to start price wise.

If you're looking for feedback on specific cars there is no harm in asking what the community thinks. Another good research step would be to Google the VIN or type the VIN in the search bar of the Prime forum and see if the car you are looking at has been documented here.

Amazing work, I was just wondering if someone had taken the time to chart this out. Great job Eric!
Funny to see that an auto trans is worth about the same as a manual with an accident, lol

I found mine on cars.com after an exhaustive search lasting about a year. It was at an Acura dealer 400 miles from me. I put a deposit on it about an hour after the Acura dealer I bought from put it on the site.

I got mine here on prime, the best part was having a history of the last several owners which were all on here.

I actually found mine on Kijiji back in 2013 but wasn't quick enough to get there as it was a few hours from me - waited 5 years for the "new" owner to finally sell it again in 2018. I couldn't find one as good as mine after I lost out on it. Took me 5 years to find the right one!!

Hello, and welcome,
I found mine here, but had to peruse some of the older ads, and follow them up. Some cars don't sell right away, and owners take them off the listing. Took me almost 6 months, but I wasn't in a hurry either, just wanted a quality machine, and found one 1,206 miles away, in a place where I regularly traveled on business. Great guy, super mechanic close, and an absolutely wonderful trip in 2 days to bring the Dragon Lady home. That was almost 8 years ago, and couldn't be happier.
Best wishes in your search.
D

[MENTION=25829]donk[/MENTION], thanks
Did you drive the car home or have it delivered?
I'm more concerned with the logistics than the cost which from which I've learned is typically 1-2K.
My neighbor had his GTO delivered from California and the driver accidentally lit his car on fire. I'm not using his references...

[MENTION=25829]donk[/MENTION], thanks
I'm more concerned with the logistics than the cost which from which I've learned is typically 1-2K.
My neighbor had his GTO delivered from California and the driver accidentally lit his car on fire. I'm not using his references...

You will want to be careful selecting the right transport company, especially if it’s a broker.

I typically find great enclosed transport costs around $1 per mile.

@donk, thanks

The logistics of my purchase centered around the absolute JOY of getting to know the car, and spending the first 1,200 miles checking it out by driving it home from the Boston Area to St. Louis.

Let it be known however, that the master mechanic who did the PPI recommended I spend some 2k on a couple of potential issues. Took him at his word, which has been good for the past 8 years. I still call him, and he still answers my questions. What a guy. now over the 100k mark and quiet as a sleeping baby till the VTEC kicks in.

If you ever need someone trustworthy in the Northeast, It is Mitch Smith at Mechanics Direct Knows this vehicle inside and out, and keeps the cost right where it needs to be, fair. There are a lot of super people in this group surrounding these cars, and he is one of those at the top.
Blessings,
Don

Last edited:
@donk, thanks

The logistics of my purchase centered around the absolute JOY of getting to know the car, and spending the first 1,200 miles checking it out.

Let it be known however, that the master mechanic who did the PPI recommended I spend some 2k on a couple of potential issues. Took him at his word, which has been good for the past 8 years. I still call him, and he still answers my questions. What a guy.

If you ever need someone trustworthy in the Northeast, It is Mitch Smith at Mechanics Direct Knows this vehicle inside and out, and keeps the cost right where it needs to be, fair. There are a lot of super people in this group surrounding these cars, and he is one of those at the top.
Blessings,
Don

First decide what you want to do with the car???
Do you want to drive it or look at it (I guess mine is in the middle now that I have it).
If you want to drive it you can stand for a bit higher mileage car.
These seem to be able to run a long time iffff you keep them up.
Next I would do as others have suggested - scour the websites, search the VINs for warnings - look for what fits your desires.
I was initially looking at really nice cars with low mileage and perfect shape.
After some coaxing I decided a driver was a better decision.
Next was to start a spreadsheet on cars I was interested in.
Year, mileage price, condition, and comments I came up with.
After that I had to unfortunately see some of then sell whilst I watched.
Eventually I found a car, not perfect, but got me into the saddle.
I bought mine off eeebay, found some vague history, and flew 500 miles down and bought it (no PPI, just some shop records).
Maybe not the best purchase advice - but love can lead you down the same path.
That's my story - hope you can write one yourself :smile:
Al

I actually found mine on Kijiji back in 2013 but wasn't quick enough to get there as it was a few hours from me - waited 5 years for the "new" owner to finally sell it again in 2018. I couldn't find one as good as mine after I lost out on it. Took me 5 years to find the right one!!

I think I met you at grand bend last may?

I found mine 7 years ago in Virginia.

1995 targa at 37,000 miles... guy picked me up at the airport in the car... I almost broke my arm reaching for my wallet!!

will roll 50,000 miles next time I drive it.

found the car on craigslist 2 weeks after I realized I was NOT buying another Porsche.been and incredible experiance of ownership

Back