• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

which supercharger kit is the better deal for me?

The HG is not weak by itself, it's actually holding pretty well, the one of the 3.2 even better.

The most failures in high-boost applications (>400 hp) is not the HG, it's the pistons and sometimes the crankshaft. If you really want to boost the engine to high hp you have to pay for playing that game. If you are happy with a modest and safe step-up in power the low-boost CTSC is the best solution out there IMHO. Even this 'modest' step-up transforms the car significantly. :)

There are two CTSC kit in my country, my stock CTSC, the other one with 10% more power than mine (smaller pulley, AEM). We'll see... I've decided against that route as I'd like to on the safe side, esp. with an engine with some serious miles on it. I've even postponed the TB/WP just in case...:)

My 91 had a weeping #5 cylinder due to a failing OEM head gasket. We just caught it early when doing a header swap. I have never been on a high boost pulley.

In my experience that is the only failure point on the early 3.0s. of course nowadays everything on the car is old so do you due diligence.

The ECU control and fueling solution for a stock CTSC is a weak point. It is not a point of failure... Again assuming all the parts like the fuel pump is in strong working order.

I think, while the CTSC has likely proven to be the most reliable FI solution for the NSX, I think it's a disservice to say it's without it's issues.

$0.02

Any boosting kit adds complexity, some more, some less. 'Less' is not equivalent to 'none'. The low-boost CTSC adds the lowest level of complexity. Yes, it relates on fuel mainly because the piggyback is a black box. In some cases it runs a little bit rich in terms of fuel but that's part of the safety margin. The only variable to adjust is the fuel pressure.

Not knowing all details of every blown engine but if you don't go with new or double-checked components like fuel pump, fuel injectors, ignition distibutor you're adding unnecessary risks. These things have to be checked and serviced periodically like changing your oil, airfilter or whatever part if you are running such a system. And seldomly an engine blows even if all components checked out good. But this a very rare scenario in a low-boost application. The risk is there and you have to pay the game you play. In the end we're all dead, the time between birth and death is the interesting timeframe. :)

Standalone ECU or Turbo might be more interesting and there are gains even to be made from the low-boost CTSC in its stock form but the risks raise exponentially. It would have driven me mad if I had to think about how good/safe the tuning is and if there are enough safety margins if I ever got bad fuel or one variable is a little bit off hoping that the tuner took this into account. But there are people out there - I'm pretty sure of - that think differently. :)

Last edited:
I have a CTSC with low boost, it runs great but I want to squeeze a little more out of it. Looking at the Inifinti EMS system, 750-1000cc injectors, and pulley. The main concern is running the risk of failure. Last year, I did a refresh on the motor putting new belts, gaskets, and hoses for preventative measures. Anyone have the CTSC (low boost) that did these upgrades and care to share their thoughts?

Any boosting kit adds complexity, some more, some less. 'Less' is not equivalent to 'none'. The low-boost CTSC adds the lowest level of complexity. Yes, it relates on fuel mainly because the piggyback is a black box. In some cases it runs a little bit rich in terms of fuel but that's part of the safety margin. The only variable to adjust is the fuel pressure.

Not knowing all details of every blown engine but if you don't go with new or double-checked components like fuel pump, fuel injectors, ignition distibutor you're adding unnecessary risks. These things have to be checked and serviced periodically like changing your oil, airfilter or whatever part if you are running such a system. And seldomly an engine blows even if all components checked out good. But this a very rare scenario in a low-boost application. The risk is there and you have to pay the game you play. In the end we're all dead, the time between birth and death is the interesting timeframe. :)

Standalone ECU or Turbo might be more interesting and there are gains even to be made from the low-boost CTSC in its stock form but the risks raise exponentially. It would have driven me mad if I had to think about how good/safe the tuning is and if there are enough safety margins if I ever got bad fuel or one variable is a little bit off hoping that the tuner took this into account. But there are people out there - I'm pretty sure of - that think differently. :)

I have a CTSC with low boost, it runs great but I want to squeeze a little more out of it.

Classic :biggrin:

As you know from your initial list (plus you'll need some kind of aftercooler), the incremental cost for another ~50HP is huge. Granted, you can use those parts for a later turbo build when the bug hits again.

Last edited:
Can you post more about your build and numbers? Thanks

do you mean my old BBSC setup (10psi, aftercooler, methanol injection, AEM FIC, walbro, injectors, stock motor) or current (Stage 2 SOS forged build, no expenses spared SOS twin turbo setup plus basically everything else SOS sells)?

I'm running a SOS SC with a built engine.

at 13psi on 91 Octane I'm making 430rwhp.
at 13psi with e85 (I have the flex fuel conversion from SOS) I'm making 500rwhp.

Just at 430rwhp I ran a 3rd gear pull and walked a 570SL Gallardo.

What I think would be good for the NSX is a TVS2300 kit and a Rotrex kit from the supercharger side of things.

I'm currently running a hi-boost setup with at least 200k miles on the blower...I wanted to get more power, something like 400rwhp; but to get there it seems like I'll need to upgrade to an Infinity system?

I have been runing a Autorotor CTSC with the 440CC injectors, Walbro fuel-pump en AEM FIC for about two years now.

Before the addition of the FIC I learned too late that the car would start running lean at high RPM and so blew my piston rings on two cylinders.
Now, with a second engine, I have added the FIC and had it tuned conservatively to prevent this blow-up thingy from happening again.

But the one issue I still am not happy with is my intake temps. After running the car a bit agressively, I see my intake temps go up all the way to 65-66 degrees Celius (150 Fahrenheit) easily and this makes my nervous. I can also feel the car losing power.

So, how do you guys will all the high-boost stuff handle this? Are you intake temps not higher than mine?

I have been runing a Autorotor CTSC with the 440CC injectors, Walbro fuel-pump en AEM FIC for about two years now.

Before the addition of the FIC I learned too late that the car would start running lean at high RPM and so blew my piston rings on two cylinders.
Now, with a second engine, I have added the FIC and had it tuned conservatively to prevent this blow-up thingy from happening again.

But the one issue I still am not happy with is my intake temps. After running the car a bit agressively, I see my intake temps go up all the way to 65-66 degrees Celius (150 Fahrenheit) easily and this makes my nervous. I can also feel the car losing power.

So, how do you guys will all the high-boost stuff handle this? Are you intake temps not higher than mine?

Driving Ambition after cooler.

You can spray it with meth too. But I don’t like drugs so.:biggrin:

Back