• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

which year NSX is best, in your opinion?

fastaussie

Suspended
just a quick question regarding which years of the NSX are favoured by the very loyal and very well educated followers of this website?

i'm looking into buying an early model NA1 NSX, a 3.0 liter version. can't decide if i would prefer an original '91 NSX or perhaps a later model T-version. either way it would have to be a manual transmission with a non-black interior. i'm currently (heavily) leaning towards a very clean '91 red with black top/ivory interior example, but on ocassion i spot an all red NSX-T/tan interior car and imagine it would be pretty awesome to have no roof during the nice weather. however, i know the T's are a little heavier, and some times a bit slower, perhaps not quite as stiff?

just wondering the pros and cons of the different model years through the early to mid '90s in:

acceleration performance
prestige
handling
reliability
plain old driving enjoyment (having the lift out roof?)

Search for it. Theres tons of threads. I perfer 02+ but some hate it, its all prefrence though i like the updated int as well as ext. As for 91-01, reliability is all good, some 91-92 have snap ring range, presteige is its still a nsx. Search around, all nsx's are great.

Best years
1994. Most refined na1 coupe
1997. First year na2. New engine transmission body panel of better aluminum. Eps
1999 zanardi
1997 2001 coupes
2002-05. Most refined the end the best of the breed better interior bettor exterior best colors faster ecu lev emission. Rare. Less the 1000 total. Many are wreched were daily leased cars etc

You know this question has been bandied about for time after time here and there is no right answer! Some here wouldn't have anything but a 91 - the lightest of all - snap ring did effect some 91s and mid year 92s but it was just a certain range and they can be easily identified becuase of the number on the transmission - from xxxx to xxx number. You can search that out too.

Some say that the NA2 is best cause it had a bigger engine a little more HP and a 6 speed with different gearing - maybe faster. But it did weigh about 250 lbs more and it definitely flexes with the top off but it depends on what you want out of it. The best ones to make go fast are - all of em. The coupes are the stiffest and lightest and you can get the tranny out and put in short gears - jdm gears - lots of names for it and you can change the rear end gearing too - make it faster. The standard 5 speed has a long second gear - now you can say that it drops a lot of rpms from first to second but if you are set to go thru some tight twisties like the Dragons Tail - you'd keep it in second with the tall gears most likely all the way thru which makes it easy to just drive. So there are trade offs for lower gear ratios.

The 02-05 are nicer inside - the stitching is definitely a step up - some like the looks others prefer the flip up head lights - others like em all - most of us really like em all - but we have our own preference to which year.

If you can find an NA 2 coupe - the holy grail - and you have the coin for it - cause they're rare and the prices for them reflect that - that would be a desireable car - like a Zanardi. But the Zanardi only came in one color combo - red over black and it's a coupe - sought after and expensive.

So a lot depends on what YOU have to spend and you have to normally figure on 5k in the car after you buy it and that varies. So it's not just the purchase price on these cars.

So I've given you no definitive answer - that's because they are all great cars - you put a set of headers on an NA1 and some short gear in and it will be as fast or faster than an NA2. You put a Turbo or a Super Charger on em and they are just down right awesomely fast!

I don't think I'd ever need the additional power a TC or SC provides - I like my cars naturally aspirated. That's the way they were designed and I happen to think that's the way you experience the true nature of the design which in my opinion is just about perfect!

You will get a great car no matter what you buy if you buy smart! Simple as that - they are super cars every damn one of em!

Some say that the NA2 is best cause it had a bigger engine a little more HP and a 6 speed with different gearing - maybe faster.

The NA2 is absolutely faster. You can feel it SOTP and it was proven out in magazine tests. An NA2 coupe, rare of course, is *significantly* faster. NA1s tested from 5.1-5.4 0-60 at the time. NA2s tested from 4.8-5.0. NA2 coupes got as low as 4.7 0-60 when they were tested. The stock NA2 was Corvette C5 territory performance wise and felt it. This was the direct move I made. The NA1 was definitely not Corvette C5 territory and you could feel it. I test drove them before I realized I'd need to go NA2 to preserve the level of performance I wanted and was used to from the C5.

This may not matter to some, but the difference really is not minor although it is often made out to be on the forums. At the time it was enough to keep the NSX from being just utterly obliterated by the F355. In the NSX vs F348 battles the NSX was coming out on top consistently. The F355 was a massive improvement. The NA2 allowed the NSX to at least put up respectable numbers, although the tables clearly turned and the nod started going consistently to Ferrari.

The targa roof has more flex than the coupe of course, but this difference tends to be overstated on the forums, for street driving, the same way the perf difference is understated.

Basically, it comes down to choice and budget. A buyer needs to ask these important questions

1) what is their real budget ceiling

2) do they *like* targa roofs

3) what are their performance desires/goals

4) do they track the car

Stock for stock, driving around on the street, I can tell you 100% that the 1997+ targas *are* quicker, and feel quicker, than the 1991 coupes.

On the track, the coupe *is* more rigid without a doubt. A Zanardi or NA2 coupe will feel *a lot* quicker than the older coupes but will cost a good bit more to buy (like a lot more)

The 02+ cars are the most modern and do "feel" higher quality IMO (I bought an 03 in 03 and kept it for 3 years) The refresh was fairly minor, but you do feel it. Downside is that by this point production was VERY low and these cars carry the biggest premium.

If you are on a budget that doesnt stretch to the NA2, and you LOVE targa roof cars, then dont shy away from the NA1 targas because it isnt so bad.

If you either dont care about, or dont like targas, and can afford an NA2, I would *not* recommend buying an earlier coupe unless you plan to track the car and/or extensively mod it

If you dont like or dont care about targas and cannot afford an NA2, then definitely stick with the coupe and forget the NA1 targas.

If your budget has no limit, get the newest one you can find.

Last edited:
thanx folks, i've been leaning towards a '91. it's not in the snap ring range, and all the necessaries have already been taken care of. i know they're light and stiff.

i'd love a Zanardi (who wouldn't?!), but can't recall the last time i saw one of those for sale. i'd also love an '05 car, i actually prefer the look of them, but they're slightly out of my price range.

i was also considering a '95 or '96 model NSX-T. just wondering if the driving experience was greatly diminished with the lift out roof? that was actually what i most wanted to know. thanx for your answers and opinions...

Last edited:
its kind of a no brainer imo the best nsx has to be the 2002 and up, its the best looking car and the 3.2 motor and 6 speed. i think anyone would get a 2002 na2 if they can afford vs a na1.

its kind of a no brainer imo the best nsx has to be the 2002 and up, its the best looking car and the 3.2 motor and 6 speed. i think anyone would get a 2002 na2 if they can afford vs a na1.

I agree with this... With *one* caveat.

When I had the 03, I had LBBP... I never got into it honestly. Coming back to the NSX again, I *really* wanted 02+ Imola. But Imola is big $. Way more than I wanted to spend. At that point, I really wanted to stay below $50k.

I *almost* did an 02 yellow, but then I saw Peter's MCB, modded out the way Id mod the car anyway (Volks, CTSC, CT headers, Procar CF bits, Tubi exhaust, etc) and it was a no brainer.

The rarity and time boxed nature of certain *colors* are a big deal. I personally really do not like red, black or white and I *love* an amazing blue or orange. So that can push you to certain years as well.

I'd rather have my 99 MCB than have another LBBP personally.

Nope not me
I wanted a gpw with onyx interior and flip up lights and as stock as possible
And low mileage without any problems. I did not care for the 02+ look and i am sure i could have afforded one.

Zaid

a light

If you get drive by wire and a targa you kiss the possibility of ITBs goodbye. :( There is also a weight penalty for a targa. So, my advice is to consider carefully how you will want to mod the car before you buy... you will want to mod the car eventually ;) I would have rather had a lightened NA car with a built motor and itb's, the driving experiences are totally different so consider what appeals to you the most.

If you get drive by wire and a targa you kiss the possibility of ITBs goodbye. :( There is also a weight penalty for a targa. So, my advice is to consider carefully how you will want to mod the car before you buy... you will want to mod the car eventually ;) I would have rather had a lightened NA car with a built motor and itb's, the driving experiences are totally different so consider what appeals to you the most.

Actually, Id say that *most* NSXs are not modded, and certainly not to the level of built engines really.

Im glad I have the CTSC, but I know that for most of my friends, they all feel a stock NA2 is "enough". Most of my friends, while really liking my build, think Im crazy for not having gone back to a stock car given the car is a "classic". Sometimes I do agree.

Uhhhh...no. I had a 91 first, a very very rare 2002 Imola Orange Pearl, and now I'm back to a 91 with CTSC. I can certainly afford another +02 but chose to get back into a NSX without the targa and want to spend extra dosh on a nice daily driver.

Best NSX hands down are the rare NA2 Coupes with Zanardi's included.

My point is just to think ahead otherwise you can get stuck, its happened to plenty of people here who would have done things differently! Ctsc has never been that exciting to me, but plenty of people like it and it is indeed reliable. But I prefer something that would be more exciting even if it were slower... That may be uncommon. :) sorry for getting off topic

i prefer coupes... and 2 tone... since i can't get an NSX-R, a first gen will suffice.

Given the pick from any year, I would take a 2001 T model. I prefer the classic look and want the removable roof, so this would be the newest car available.

2002+ for me, but I wouldn't trade me 2000 for one unless it was a killer good deal.

Well def lean away from the ivory interior I wanted ivory so bad then where in the world are you gonna get a part for it. no-where. used maybe but new not a chance. since blk is used thru out all the years its better to go with blk interior.

tan is going the way of the dodo soon so blk is really your only option.

as for the years I say 2001 the best of both worlds minus the bug eyes.

and def NOT the NSX-T some love the removeable roof but seriously how often will you remove it. probably 2-3 times a year. its cool but the cost of chassis stability isnt worth it. every single bump you can feel the chassis flexing. while your driving put your finger on the rubber thats between the windsheild and the top and go driving every bump you feel your finger getting pinched not good.

but everyone has dif opinions on this matter so what ever makes you happy I say go for it.

Agreed, except for one thing: “best looking” car is a matter of personal opinions. I would love to buy NSX 2002+ due to its newer and nicer interior but I want pop-up headlights. The headlight style is the deal breaker for me. Unfortunately what I want doesn’t exist. Not all popup headlights NSX owners couldn't afford NA2, lol. It all comes down to look. To me, the popup headlights just flow well with the rest of the car when the NSX was original designed. The fixed headlights look like an “afterthought” when Honda wanted to keep up with newer design trend and moved away from the pop-ups.

Last edited:
Told you that you'd get a lot of different opinions on these cars. I also belive that the consensus like I mentioned is that whatever you buy you'll get a great sports car. Top on top off - your decision. Main thing with these cars is the technique of buying a good one no matter which year or model you decide on.

As Mlambert said and I've said many times and the classic advice is to always buy the best one you can afford - lowest miles, best condition and best maintained with supporting documentation! That way no matter what you buy you'll be happy.

you copcat...thats what i said :biggrin:
ohhh nice car by the way (nice year and nice color:wink:)

Agreed, except for one thing: “best looking” car is a matter of personal opinions. I would love to buy NSX 2002+ due to its newer and nicer interior but I want pop-up headlights. The headlight style is the deal breaker for me. Unfortunately what I want doesn’t exist. Not all popup headlights NSX owners couldn't afford NA2, lol. It all comes down to look. To me, the popup headlights just flow well with the rest of the car when the NSX was original designed. The fixed headlights look like an “afterthought” when Honda wanted to keep up with newer design trend and moved away from the pop-ups.

The NA1/NA2 bias and division on this forum is to be expected. The biggest difference between NA1 and NA2 along with 2002+ styling is pricing. That is it. If you are comparing performance between an NA1 and NA2, the upgrades were marginally better. The biggest difference is the 6 speed manual, as that does make the car feel more modern and faster. The minor upgraded brakes and weight fluctuations were relatively minor across 15 years.

All manual NSXs from all years are capable of sub 14 sec 1/4 miles (mid 13s would be the correct average for all the cars) and the finest of examples may break into the high 12 secs stock, but that is probably more myth than reality. A NA1 with headers would close the gap tightly in hp when compared with the NA2 with headers. We are still talking about a $20K difference give or take between an early NA1 coupe and 97+ NA2. An extra $20K for an extra gear and 20 more hp which = .3-.5 seconds faster on the 1/4. Is that worth it to you?

The real truth is that there is not a huge difference between NA1 and NA2 until FI is introduced into the equation. The NA2 may make more hp due to larger displacement and lower compression (more ideal for FI), but at ~400 whp levels, you have other things to worry about like traction/brakes and less about the extra 20-30whp that you may not be able to harness to the road.

For me, the bbest is either a 2000-2001 coupe or a Zanardi.

If you are performance-minded, the "best" NSX is the 1997-2001 NA2 coupe, which includes the 1999 Zanardi edition. They have the best of everything (reinforced chassis, big brakes, lightweght body panels, 3.2 engine, 6-speed) plus the ridigidity of a fixed roof, and are the fastest stock NSXs sold in North America. Of that range, the 2000-2001 coupes are the ideal, as they have the newer ABS system.

If you are more interested in touring/cruising and live in a fair weather locale, then the "best" NSX is probably the NA2 NSX-T. It's really a matter of personal preference between the 97-01 flip-up lights and the 02-05 bug eyes. Performance is nearly identical between the two.

With that said, please remember that all NSX models are very good cars. I've driven a few NA2 NSX-T and find it nearly identical to my NA1 coupe with headers and JDM gears, for example. The differences between the cars over the years are very small compared to other makes, like the F-cars and 911 iterations. A mint 2005 NSX-T will feel much closer to a mint 1991 NSX than a F430 will to a 348.

In my opinion the biggest problem with the early cars is the US-spec transmission. The lag in 2nd gear kills the sporting feel of the car and makes it feel slow. The stock 3.0 liter NSX simply does not make enough torque to take advantage of the tall gear ratios in the US transmission. While the track benefit is debatable, the JDM gears transform the character of the car and make it feel just like the 6-speed found in the NA2. Thus, with a little time and money you can have a very rewarding ownership experience with an early car too. Or, you can save your money for another year and just buy a NA2.

Last edited:
and def NOT the NSX-T some love the removeable roof but seriously how often will you remove it. probably 2-3 times a year.
More like 2 or 3 times a week. There are weeks in the spring and fall where it's only on when I have to park it outside and leave it.

More like 2 or 3 times a week. There are weeks in the spring and fall where it's only on when I have to park it outside and leave it.

Used to do mine the same, until I got the SC and have to put it in the trunk.:frown:

Back