Who here has owned the last gen. supra?

I'm curious what nsx owners here have owned a supra in the past (93-98 years) and what they think of the car compared to the nsx. Also, why do supra owners think their freakin' cars demand such a premium, it seems like the good unmolested ones are selling for more than they were new!! :eek:

I used to have a '94 Twin Turbo Supra .. I really enjoyed it when I had it .. I had to admit I was quite sad when I parted with it .. But .. had I not sold it, I wouldn't be driving an NSX right now .. :wink:

The good things :
- Power, it's powerful, and just by changing the exhaust, there's quite a significant gain in power.
- The turbo sound when it starts spooling is quite addictive .. :biggrin: .. and the kick when the bigger turbo kicks in is even better ...
- Quite a good looking car!! Also I quite like the way they have the instrument panel curved towards the driver. Some ppl say it's a selfish layout .. but .. I do like it!!

The bad things :
- Steering feel .. There's too much power steering assist that you don't really feel 'connected' to the road. The NSX steering is just way way better. Even the Miata has a better steering feel than the Supra.
- I'm not too crazy about the high spoiler.
- Unusable rear seats .. might as well make it a 2 seater!!

I think the premium price on the Supra just started after that Fast & Furious movie .. seems like everyone wants one and the price keeps going up. Probably another reason is the fact that it's quite easy to make a monster supra with outrageous horsepower is a big attraction to those who likes to drag their cars ...

Compared to the NSX .. looks wise, it sure looks aggressive .. but I still prefer the more exotic look of the NSX .. I don't see many supras on the road everyday .. but NSX is even rarer .. for me .. that's a big plus!! Now .. just hoping that Honda will get their act together and create a 400-500hp NSX .. :biggrin:

Just my 2 cents worth ...
Gus

I think it's a neat car with an over-engineered motor that can withstand huge power numbers 'out of the box'.

My understanding from friends that currently own or used to own MKIV's is that the market has softened a great deal over the past 12 months and premiums are difficult to get anymore unless you have a true gem.

Sig said:
I think it's a neat car with an over-engineered motor that can withstand huge power numbers 'out of the box'.

My understanding from friends that currently own or used to own MKIV's is that the market has softened a great deal over the past 12 months and premiums are difficult to get anymore unless you have a true gem.

I just was looking at supratraderonline and this guy started out asking $60,000, now he's finally lowered it, but still! :eek:
http://www.supratraderonline.com/supras/listings/l0088.html

Weren't these things low 40's new?

dnyhof said:
I'm curious what nsx owners here have owned a supra in the past (93-98 years) and what they think of the car compared to the nsx. Also, why do supra owners think their freakin' cars demand such a premium, it seems like the good unmolested ones are selling for more than they were new!! :eek:

Supra is much easier to mod for insane straightline performance, the amount of repect you get is worth the price. One of the most aggressive looking car on the road. Not to mention the wonderful sound of single turbo and deep bass exhaust note.

Storage room.

No one will ever question you "is your car fast or does it just look fast?" on the other hand you will get this type of questions in NSX.

The look of NSX is exotic, the look of Supra is aggressive.

Everything else NSX does better.

Used Supras are in high demand, very hard to obtain especially used TT 6spd $23k~$40k. Asking price on automatic TTs are much more reasonable $18k~$22k. If straightline performance is your type of thing, this is as good as you are going get for a Japanese car.

bsudiro said:
Even the Miata has a better steering feel than the Supra.

Them's fightin' words. Miatas are definately not on the low end of steering feel when it comes to cars. Maybe you drove one with crappy tires or something else.

I mean .. Miata has a very good steering feel .. I used to have a Miata before the Supra .. and the road feedback on the Miata is much better than the Supra.
I got the horsepower bug and had to change to Supra that time ...

10641nsx_supra_wet_1600-med.jpg

I've posted this pic before, but it seemed appropriate to this thread. It's my housemate's car next to my 91. We traded for a few days when I first got the nsx, but I haven't driven it much since. It's a lot softer- a very different feel, but still lots of fun to drive. The cockpit flow is somewhat odd for the passenger but gives it a fighter-jet feeling (at least to me, as someone who's never flown a fighter, :P)

-josh

There is a 1994 Supra TT on eBay that has a picture of the original window sticker showing 42K. The bidding is up to 35K. What's so great about the Supra? I mean, it's a great car and all, but......That's a hell of a resale vaule. A 1994 NSX like mine would have to fetch 65K on the market to compete with that kind of resale....

caseycarson said:
There is a 1994 Supra TT on eBay that has a picture of the original window sticker showing 42K. The bidding is up to 35K. What's so great about the Supra? I mean, it's a great car and all, but......That's a hell of a resale vaule. A 1994 NSX like mine would have to fetch 65K on the market to compete with that kind of resale....

Looks like 4th gen Supras are one of the early favorites for tomorrow's 90's classic Japanese sportscars. The NSX is definately another.

Back