• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Who is still running R-12 refridgerant?

What refridgerant are you running?

• R-12 and sticking with it

Votes: 26 53.1%
  • Converted to R-134

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • Removed my A/C for weight reduction :)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I don't know...It still blows cold so who cares.

Votes: 5 10.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am getting mine recharged next week and found that most places still have a limited supply of R-12. I like the fact that the pressures are lower. I figure I am helping the environment by exhausting more of the old supply:wink:

As per the Wiki 1993 cars and up should have R-134 from the factory.

Lets poll the 91-92 owners

Ooops was I in the wrong Forum...My BAD :) Mods Please move :redface:

I'm still using R-12. I recently had my A/C repaired for the first time - a hose coming through the firewall was leaking, I think a grommet was missing - and they refilled with R-12. I would have asked them to convert my car to R-134a, but I simply forgot. So the fact that I voted for "still using R-12" is primarily due to my memory lapse; a deliberate decision on my part would have resulted in a "converted to R-134a" vote.

There is nothing better about R-134 over R-12. What happened was the patent ran out on R-12 so the fix was in.
Wrong and wrong.

R-134a is better for the environment, because it doesn't take as long to degrade.

And there is no "patent" on R-12. Its availability was severely restricted by law, and as a result, cars were designed to use R-134a rather than R-12.

Still running R-12, but have the R-134 kit on order so I'm ready when/if I need to convert.

My car still has R12 in it, but doesn't keep the car very cool on hot days. About how much is the conversion to R134 likely to cost? If I can find some one locally that has R12, I may just do that instead of converting. Howard

R-12 and you could hang meat in my car.

R12 actually does cool somewhat better than 134. I still have 12 in my system with zero probs {knocking hard on wood}. I keep a case or so on hand for emergencies. Yes it can still be bought.

The previous owner (Jetpilot) already had the R-134 on order, so we will be fitting it on Saturday hopefully!

AC doesn't blow cold air anymore!

i have converted other cars to r134 and i would NOT recommend it. the r12 systems will loose about 25% efficiency with r134 so if you have an older car, bite the bullet and stick with it. there are now products on the market, notably one called 'freeze12' (forgot the manufacturer) that are designed to maintain the efficiency of r12 at lower cost and added lubrication to keep all the older internal seals happy.

i have converted other cars to r134 and i would NOT recommend it. the r12 systems will loose about 25% efficiency with r134 so if you have an older car, bite the bullet and stick with it. there are now products on the market, notably one called 'freeze12' (forgot the manufacturer) that are designed to maintain the efficiency of r12 at lower cost and added lubrication to keep all the older internal seals happy.
Well said. If you know an owner of a reputable shop he can usually still get the real R12. It's still available, it's just not advertised, and they won't sell to just anyone. They must be a licensed user.

The previous owner (Jetpilot) already had the R-134 on order, so we will be fitting it on Saturday hopefully!

Pretty much imperative in Dubai, right? :biggrin:

This may be something you already know, but it's worth mentioning anyway...

If your system isn't blowing cold air any more, and it has lost its refrigerant, it's a good idea to find the source of the leak and fix it, rather than just recharging the refrigerant. Otherwise, your new refrigerant will just leak out too.

Well-equipped shops have "sniffers" (detection tools) to find the source of the leak, with either refrigerant.

Last edited:
I still have R-12 and as stated before you can "hang meat inside".
I am still able to get 30# cans from Nassau for $135 ea. so I have a good supply and won't change in my NSX or my Preludes.
Being careful with the waste is important with both 12 and 134 but 134 is nearly as bad as 12, it just isn't advertised after all the BS that was raised to get rid of 12.
Freeze 12 is a never use product!! (sorry swerve) Some have heard of people working on a/c systems having them blow up in their faces, (smoking while doing the work usually) and this product is why. It is mearly an LP gas mixture, mainly comprised of LP gas. It does work as a coolant replacement but is highly volitile. DON"T
If you have a leak with either 12 or 134 it's important to find and repair the leak properly. Just adding more freon will delay an expensive and certain repair.
When the freon leaks, it is replaced with outside air. When that mixes with the remaining freon in the system it creates hydrochloric acid. Over time the system will corrode from the inside of all the components and piping, (aluminum) so you should properly evacuate and re-fill it with new freon to be sure the system has been evacuated of all non-freon gas once the leak has been repaired.

Cheers
nigel

Last edited:
This may be something you already know, but it's worth mentioning anyway...

If your system isn't blowing cold air any more, and it has lost its refrigerant, it's a good idea to find the source of the leak and fix it, rather than just recharging the refrigerant. Otherwise, your new refrigerant will just leak out too.

Well-equipped shops have "sniffers" (detection tools) to find the source of the leak, with either refrigerant.

I had a failure in my '91. Working on a Saturday, blowing warm on a Tuesday.

Put gauges on it, 80 PSI high-pressure side, 50 PSI low side. Crap, must have a leak. Bought a sniffer. Bought some R134a to pressurize it. Charged it to specs. Sniffed. Nothing.

Blowing 38-42 degrees out the vents, left it alone. That was three months ago and the AC is still cold. :confused:

Don't know what caused the sudden de-pressurization. Had the car in for an alignment that very Saturday. Some theories:
- someone messed with it to sell me a service.
- expansion valve stuck causing the pressure relief valve(s) to open

Neither sounds very plausible (no one tried to sell me AC service), but keeping fingers crossed.

My NSX came with the 134 one from the dealer new(it's from 97 but it was manufactured in 95)...so it's what i have :tongue:

Had R-12 in my other cars loved it blows very cold more than our new bmw.

On the Nsx had evaporator replaced and R-12 would leave frost bite on your face:biggrin:. I would suggest replacing only if your enviornmental caring or forced to do so.

Dquaser sounds like evaportor hope im wrong.

I still have R-12 and as stated before you can "hang meat inside".
I am still able to get 30# cans from Nassau for $135 ea. so I have a good supply and won't change in my NSX or my Preludes.
Being careful with the waste is important with both 12 and 134 but 134 is nearly as bad as 12, it just isn't advertised after all the BS that was raised to get rid of 12.
Freeze 12 is a never use product!! (sorry davidf) Some have heard of people working on a/c systems having them blow up in their faces, (smoking while doing the work usually) and this product is why. It is mearly an LP gas mixture, mainly comprised of LP gas. It does work as a coolant replacement but is highly volitile. DON"T
If you have a leak with either 12 or 134 it's important to find and repair the leak properly. Just adding more freon will delay an expensive and certain repair.
When the freon leaks, it is replaced with outside air. When that mixes with the remaining freon in the system it creates hydrochloric acid. Over time the system will corrode from the inside of all the components and piping, (aluminum) so you should properly evacuate and re-fill it with new freon to be sure the system has been evacuated of all non-freon gas once the leak has been repaired.

Cheers
nigel
Nigel, I was'nt talking about freeze 12. I have real R12. I would not ever recomend freeze 12 to anyone.

Back