• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who's Buying NSX 2.0

I felt the NSX 2.0 was too pricey and out of my budget so I nabbed a 14 991 Carrera. Very happy with my 7-speed manual decision.

Cam

Yeah, after watching Chris Harris' review of the GT4 I'm seriously looking at the Boxster/Caymans with less of a smirk. They've come a long way from their hairdresser car days ;)

"clutches" are phasing out. If you can get a paddle shift with rev-matching at less than 60 millisecond up and down 9-speeds, you've got a huge race advantage, and most exotics now will be doing this.
(actually to be 100% accurate - there are 2 clutches in these cars: one for upshifts and one for downshifts, married together in one transmission by hydraulics)

People keep talking about manual being phased out...reminds me of talk of mechanical watches being phased out because of quartz. Reality is that those that continue to produce a sports car in manual will capture more share than before as options become more limited. A few tenths on the race track isn't what those searching for a manual are looking for. We can see in the used market how quickly any manual equipped 360s, 430s, Etc get snapped up.

Acura missed the boat on a couple fronts 1) seems like this car has already been out for years given the long lead time from Iron Man to hitting the road 2) price point 3) (lack of) transmission choice. It is a nice looking ride though and wait to see what the driving experience is like.

If I was in the market to replace my 5 spd 91 NSX or 6 spd 996...I'd certainly be giving the Cayman GT4 a hard look and that wasn't a car I'd really have considered before.

I'll have to agree with this - every manual Ferrari 360 I've seen is several thousand dollars more expensive then its hydraulic counterpart.

I'll have to agree with this - every manual Ferrari 360 I've seen is several thousand dollars more expensive then its hydraulic counterpart.

A 360 with manual and hardtop is a rare bird indeed. Seems like most are Spider and F1. Cruising in the sun fun! The potential for F1 repairs also throw a wrench in the resale values. When things start at $15...but means $15,000 not $1,500 for repairs it can throw value seekers (like me!) off.

Added: (I got it off a post in Ferrari Life)
360 Modena - 2.6k manual, 6.1k F1
360 Spider - 2.1k manual, 5.4k F1
Challenge Stradale - 1.2k F1

That said if Acura would like to provide me a free test drive of the new NSX at Mosport (near me) I will gladly take them up on such a kind offer!

Last edited:
Manuals are a dying breed because no one buys them from the showroom. The new R8 is paddle equipped exclusively citing this reality. I doubt automakers think twice about resale value.

Edit: hands down my favourite watch in my collection is my mechanical panerai :)

Last edited:
Manuals are a dying breed because no one buys them from the showroom. The new R8 is paddle equipped exclusively citing this reality. I doubt automakers think twice about resale value.

Edit: hands down my favourite watch in my collection is my mechanical panerai :)

Can't argue with that. It's really about demand off the showroom floor. They dusted the V8 in favour of the V10 due to demand also. When I drove the auto R8 it really didn't do anything for me. But as long as there's options...heck the Ford Focus RS with 320-horsepower, 2.0-liter turbo-four, six-speed manual and torque-vectoring all-wheel drive starts to look like a pretty darn neat ride.

I wonder if there's a difference in demand between std and auto between say the $100k level (ie 911) vs $200k (supercar, super exotic level)?

That is only a fraction of what sold in Canada back in 1991.
Too much unknown at this point to put a deposit down

As recently mentioned in the 2nd Generation discussion forum one of the NSX Prime members spoke to an Acura official at Monterey and he said only 200 are being produced. So this lends itself to the assertion that Canada will only see max. 50 as a result. Let's hypothetically say 50 Canada, 100 U.S. and 50 ROW then there's the 200. Seems unlikely that ROW including Japan would only get 50 so who knows.

Also my close acquaintance is down for one here in Toronto and has the deposit and bill of sale to prove it so that goes against the online ordering statement. Anyway let's see how this all plays out...LOL

Also my close acquaintance is down for one here in Toronto and has the deposit and bill of sale to prove it so that goes against the online ordering statement. Anyway let's see how this all plays out...LOL

All that proves is that he paid money to a dealer to hold a car that does not yet exist and is not scheduled to go on sale until late 2016 as a 2017 model.

I believe all those with a deposit also have an agreement for sale with the dealership that took the deposit.
The deposits and agreements held by dealers are not orders placed with and accepted by Honda.

My understanding is when Honda begins accepting orders each Acura dealer will ask each deposit holder to place their NSX specifications online.
The dealership will prioritize the orders reflecting the owners position on the waitlist.

As far as a production number of 200 I have no idea what that means?
Is that 200 for the first model year?
If it is, Canada's share of 200 is not going to be 50.
We're 1/10 the population of the US so we should expect 1/10 th the allocation.

And if the initial run is 200 for model year 2016 then I'd wonder why Honda would bother with a RHD version in year one?

The Canadian price is $248,900.

attachment.php

attachment.php
What a bargain. Bram, will you be buying two? LOL.

I was at NSXPO in Ohio in /14 as well as the year before, heard Ted Klaus speak, and I've seen the car numerous times. Don't get me wrong, I like it. There is just the matter of those almost 249 large (and how I feel for my fellow Canadians -- 249K + HST @ 13%, right?).

As those of my NSX Club of Canada friends that I have had the opportunity to meet know, I truly love the Honda/Acura brand. Our extended family has had numerous Acuras and none of us has ever had a bad one. Service and the factory standing behind their product was always top notch. In a moment of weakness/temporary insanity some years ago I almost bought an E39 BMW (5 series -- 2003 -- last of the decent looking ones before the Chris Bangle Era) but fortunately the BMW dealer BS/arrogance was too thick so I walked across the street to the Acura dealer and spent an hour with the then new Gen III TL. I never looked back or had the slightest regret. The Gen III TL was 90-95% the car that the E39 was at 2/3 of the price without the attendant BMW "issues" (read: reliability/running costs). I bought an /04 TL on the spot.

However, I now find Acura has nothing for me. Nothing in the daily driver category and nothing in the sports car category. Because I felt like it (not because I had to as there was plenty of life left in the old girl), I decided to replace my beloved 06 TL (the /04 that I bought after the lovely experience at the BMW dealer was exported to my Dad in Toronto when it was two years old and he's still driving it -- I drove it to FL with him two weeks ago -- man, take care of an Acura and it sure takes good care of you). When I started looking to replace the /06 naturally I looked at the TLX. Too small, odd handling especially the FWD PAWS variant (SH AWD better) and very weird 9 speed automatic. When I first drove the Gen III TL in /04 it felt special. Not so the TLX. I'm now driving a /15 Audi A6 3.0T. I'm under no illusions. So far no issues but not this one won't remain in my garage much past warranty expiration, let alone 9 years/140,000 miles that I kept the TL. Similarly, if I felt the need to replace my /94 NSX, by default I'm looking at Porsche 911S or Cayman S given that Honda/Acura has nothing to offer in the sports car category at less than approx. 160K here in the US (and even if you have the dough, from what I understand production will be very limited).

FWIW I think Honda would have done better to stay out of the so-called supercar game (apologies to those of you who can afford the new NSX) and produce something that would be more of a volume seller -- say a Cayman S competitor with Honda DNA and reliability. Honda certainly has the ability to do this if they have the will. I remember when the 1984 Honda Prelude came out -- I drove it and had to have it. It was just a beautiful little car that was so much fun to drive. It was the first new car I bought after graduating University in Toronto. Fantastic car. Gen III TL -- same -- striking looks and wonderful driving dynamics for a FWD car. There were lots of those Preludes and Gen III TLs on the road. I think that those cars did more for Honda/Acura in terms of exposure/potential sales than a halo car like the new NSX is going to do.

Just my 2 cents and no offence meant to anyone reading this -- rant over!

PS. I'm just hoping that when the A6 needs to go away Mother Honda has a nice sports sedan for me! PLEASE!

Best,
Jeff

What a bargain. Bram, will you be buying two? LOL.

Best,
Jeff

Jeff, at this price I may not be able to afford the tires for this beast.....having said that, I believe that for the Technology and performance, it about a third of the price of the Supercar with similar technology, and looks better too.

Bram

Last edited:
I'm surprised that you guys aren't paying more attention here. Acura Canada has already announced the price. Base price is $189,900 +3000 delivery. With all factory options, price tops out at just over $250k. So that is about $6k less than the base price of the 540C. What a fully optioned 540 will go for is anyones guess, since they don't list the prices on the Mclaren website. It seems they take the "if you gotta ask, you can't afford it" attitude. So since I gotta ask, it seems I can't afford it. Not that I would take the Mclaren over the Acura anyways.

Here's hoping that a reasonably equipped NSX can be had for about $210k.

Jeff, at this price I may not be able to afford the tires for this beast.....having said that, I believe that for the Technology and performance, it about a third of the price of the Supercar with similar technology, and looks better too.

Bram

No arguments from me about your second point (not sure if I could afford the tires either - LOL). I just wish Honda had done something different, that's all.

the strong US dollar might have some blame on that Canadian price.

I'm surprised that you guys aren't paying more attention here. Acura Canada has already announced the price. Base price is $189,900 +3000 delivery. With all factory options, price tops out at just over $250k. So that is about $6k less than the base price of the 540C. What a fully optioned 540 will go for is anyones guess, since they don't list the prices on the Mclaren website. It seems they take the "if you gotta ask, you can't afford it" attitude. So since I gotta ask, it seems I can't afford it. Not that I would take the Mclaren over the Acura anyways.

I figured that the price on the "wheelstand" at the Auto Show was an "as shown" price but still got me thinking on how it is priced versus the Audi R8, Mclaren 540 or 570S, 911 Turbo S/GT3 etc. No doubt that the car and the technology built into the car is very impressive, but it is tough to command McLaren/Audi/Porsche money (brand-wise). We'll see!

Bram

LOL, we may have to enter into a fractional ownership arrangement for those tires! Bram, I don't doubt that new NSX is packed full of amazing tech and performance will be great. I'm not knocking it only saying that personally I would have preferred Honda having gone in a different direction -- less tech/more accessible to us Honda/Acura fans.

Best,
Jeff

540C starts at $196k Canadian ... But options are pricey ... Most cars are being built around the $225k range

540C starts at $196k Canadian ... But options are pricey ... Most cars are being built around the $225k range

Sorry, I wrote that poorly. I meant that the base price of the NSX is lower than the base price of the 540C. People seemed to be comparing a nearly fully optioned NSX with the base price of its competitiors. So looking at the base prices, the NSX is competitive with the 540C, much cheaper than the 570S, is a bit more expensive than the Porsche 911 Turbo and the base R8 but less than the R8 Plus.

Options on all these cars are expensive.

Sorry, I wrote that poorly. I meant that the base price of the NSX is lower than the base price of the 540C. People seemed to be comparing a nearly fully optioned NSX with the base price of its competitiors. So looking at the base prices, the NSX is competitive with the 540C, much cheaper than the 570S, is a bit more expensive than the Porsche 911 Turbo and the base R8 but less than the R8 Plus.

Options on all these cars are expensive.

Agree with all the above... By the way, I just confirmed my order (been on wait list for about 2 years) today!

Back