• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

why don't you guys just give up.

As much as I liked my NSX the differences between the NSX and the new McLaren are pretty much night and day. Can't really compare the 2. Anyone who does so is not being realistic.

With a planned dealership openning in Palo Alto in March of 2011 it might make it easier to put a deposit for one to be delivered in 2012 :cool:

I agree. Nobody in their right mind can really compare a NSX to the Mclaren.

BTW I still would have a hard time putting $250+K on a the MP4 over a F458.

BTW I still would have a hard time putting $250+K on a the MP4 over a F458.

Having choices is good :cool:

Personally for me, I like the lines of the MP4-12C a little bit better than the F458, same goes for the interior.

Being the Concourse d'Elegance and the Historics Race Weekend at Laguna there were many exotic cars in attendance at Pebble Beach.

On my way to the private McLaren event I saw a Lime Green LP560-4 Superlegggera and a Red F458 parked on the side of the street at the Lodge.

Another upside that I see is the level of access and support from McLaren, had a chance to chat with several folks from the factory including the head product lead for the MP4-12C, can't ever see myself having a similar experience with Ferrari or anyone else like Audi or Lamborghini for that matter (way too late to join the party). Being welcomed for a future vist to Woking can't hurt either :D

Like I mentioned in my earlier post I was pretty impressed with how McLaren is proceeding as a company and how they are treating their potential customers.

Why don't you guys just give up.

Actually, the correct comparison would be to compare the McLaren to an NSX. After all, one of Gordon Murray's goals when he designed the McLaren F1 was to create a car with handling dynamics similar to those of an NSX.

And I would buy the 12c in a heartbeat over the F458 - it has the same pedigree, slightly higher technology but far higher desirability as far as my taste is concerned.

Last edited:
I think the question to ask when comparing the MP4 vs F458 is which one is going to be more reliable? It's obvious that the MP4 has potential for more power being turbocharged, but which of the two will be cheaper in maintainenece as in frequency for service and thus which one is a better daily driver?

No offense but I seriously doubt anybody buying a MP4 or the F458 is truely concerned about maintenance, reliability or DD status.

A F430 gets an oil change on an annual basis. The F458 is probably going to be the same. There is no engine out service since they come with timing chains. You probably have to spend $~1K for 2 year service but thats about it.

No offense but I seriously doubt anybody buying a MP4 or the F458 is truely concerned about maintenance, reliability or DD status.

A F430 gets an oil change on an annual basis. The F458 is probably going to be the same. There is no engine out service since they come with timing chains. You probably have to spend $~1K for 2 year service but thats about it.

I spend that much maintaining my 2005 C230. That's cheap!

Re: bar-none, the car to get... period!

Park Place in Dallas will get a McLaren showroom. Rumored MSRP has been stated as ~$240k, and some popular publications in the past have stated ~$265k, whereas others have stated $225-$250k. FWIW, I believe Consumer Reports magazine or an analog/equivalent has stated the MP4-12C as a "best buy" (as absurd as it sounds, they even admitted to such) as it's going to be unrivaled in performance & handling (easily outgunning & outlapping the F458 Italia, Gallardo 560-4, 911 GT2, and others) while offering technology & materials unfound [sic] in a sub-$500k MR-exotic for 1/2 the price. Deliveries are slated for mid '11, supposedly.

I got a preview of the MP4 at the Park Place showing last Thursday.
One had a skin off chassis showing the internals pretty well.
The other was a silver full bodied proto.
Prices start at $240k and optioned out head north of $300k.
Mclaren Orange is an option. (!)
This car is going to wax the 458.
IMO the "next" NSX should have taken this approach but cut off $100k with Honda's mass production capability.
As much as I like the idea behind this car it did not blow my socks off as the NSX and Ferrari F40 did when introduced. Eventually I will get off my behind and turbo the NSX and be done with the longing for a replacement.
Make that addition.
Long live our NSX.

I hope McLaren can find the afficianado's they were specifically targeting given today's economy.

PS; I gave up on the "next" NSX coming from Honda years ago.
Lotus is supposed to unwrap the new Esprit this year.
Thats where my eggs are.

Last edited:

Yea that may be somewhat true, but on an ideal standpoint, we are still talking about money vs. performance as the 458 and the MP4. I mean they are both close in specs, price and prestige, so how else are you going differentiate between the two and determine which one is "better"?

Let's get past that ego talk about no one cares about reliability when buying a ferrari and seriously talk about the fact that, if a car breaks down all the time, why would I buy it? The car is meant to be driven, not sit in a service shop all day. Besides who ego is going to feel better while the other is out riding, having a blast while one is throwing countless money in the shop for this and that?

PS; I gave up on the "next" NSX coming from Honda years ago.
Lotus is supposed to unwrap the new Esprit this year.
Thats where my eggs are.

I agree. Unfortunately, I simply don't understand Lotus' powerplant program. They tend to go with underpowered Toyota motors, or now possibly unproven bespoke in-house power plant. One bores me, the other worries me. But damn, if they aren't producing some fine rides all of a sudden. I've always loved Lotus, but have never pulled the trigger. We shall see what the future holds.

I agree. Unfortunately, I simply don't understand Lotus' powerplant program. They tend to go with underpowered Toyota motors, or now possibly unproven bespoke in-house power plant. One bores me, the other worries me. But damn, if they aren't producing some fine rides all of a sudden. I've always loved Lotus, but have never pulled the trigger. We shall see what the future holds.

I supposedly was to be a BMW V-8.
Now with everything pushing 500HP they are going to have to turbo it to be competitive.
Toyota does seem to be the engine of choice now. Perhaps a Lexus V-8.
I'd take a 6 with front Hybrid power as per the Porsche GT3 hybrid.

if LOTUS can do it.

why cant HONDA?

Because all Honda executives had their balls cut off. It is a chicken, cautious, and play it safe strategy. That's not what Soichiro stands for but it is what Honda has now become.

As for Lotus, I am impressed they showed 5 concepts cars at once. Wow! That is exceptional. I gather these vehicles are all based on the same platform even though some of them are front engined.

Way to go Lotus. Now, lets see if you can make these sports car reliable, practical, and safe, just like a Honda.

Drove a Porsche 911 CS today, fast, very fast. I had a smile on my face the whole time. It is really a shame that the sitting position is similar to my S2000.

After the test drive, I got back into my NSX, I had a bigger smile on my face and couldn't stop wondering why are people even bothered to ask Honda for another car, anything greater than the NSX is already out there, you just have to sell an arm and a leg for it, possibility your right nut.

Under this economy, if you're one the few who can actually afford a new ride and is wishing for a NSX replacement from Honda, simply chose a used F430, Gallardo, or Porsche Turbo, and trust me, you will be just as happy! :biggrin:

To some, NSX is like the old Pontiac GTO, Ferrari Testarosa, or a BMW M1. It is a classic sports car that will never leave your heart. Like a person in a happy marriage, doesn't matter how old your wife is, she is forever beautiful and you will never want to let her go.

Last edited:
Looking at my crystal ball....Vance is right. A fellow Primer took me out on his GT3 w/ the yellow fancy brake......man, ton of grip under accel. and braking and we weren't even racing. Very impressive. The whole time I felt like I was sitting on top of the car. Nice ride but not THAT special.

Another friend ordered the McLaren MP4-12C in white who is #10 on the US waiting list. I will ck it out in detail when the time comes. I expect perfection from Ron Dennis.

Well said, Vance. I would have been happy with Honda simply continuing to update the NA2. Monoblock brakes, modern navi/stereo/CCU and refreshed gauge cluster to keep with the current Acura lineup. It's too bad. :frown: Heck, I'd even be happy with a "factory update" program for existing NSX owners that offers these items direct from Honda. Not going to happen though.

Drove a Porsche 911 CS today, fast, very fast. I had a smile on my face the whole time. It is really a shame that the sitting position is similar to my S2000.

After the test drive, I got back into my NSX, I had a bigger smile on my face and couldn't stop wondering why are people even bothered to ask Honda for another car, anything greater than the NSX is already out there, you just have to sell an arm and a leg for it, possibility your right nut.

Under this economy, if you're one the few who can actually afford a new ride and is wishing for a NSX replacement from Honda, simply chose a used F430, Gallardo, or Porsche Turbo, and trust me, you will be just as happy! :biggrin:

To some, NSX is like the old Pontiac GTO, Ferrari Testarosa, or a BMW M1. It is a classic sports car that will never leave your heart. Like a person in a happy marriage, doesn't matter how old your wife is, she is forever beautiful and you will never want to let her go.

Well said, Vance. I would have been happy with Honda simply continuing to update the NA2. Monoblock brakes, modern navi/stereo/CCU and refreshed gauge cluster to keep with the current Acura lineup. It's too bad. :frown: Heck, I'd even be happy with a "factory update" program for existing NSX owners that offers these items direct from Honda. Not going to happen though.

Yep as that would take away from Hondas new "We're wussie central" image. Gonna have to pull the H badges of my two Hondas if this keeps up:wink:

Back