Why go 17/18 or 18/19 instead of 18/18 combo?

NRG

Experienced Member
Hello,

Can someone help me please understand the reason behind 17/18 combo or 18/19 combo?

Why not go 18x8 (front) and 18x10 (rear)? Is that okay?

What's the advantage and disadvantage of one another?

I love this HRE 448R, but they don't have it as 17/18 combo. I read that 18/19 combo, I'll end up losing my performance with bigger rims.

attachment.php

Also,

Any recommendation on rims similiar to HRE 448R that cost less...roughly $2500? They're so expensive.

I love this one too (Kinesis), but it's probably expensive:...and I don't think they make it for NSX.

F110.jpg

Last edited:
You can go with a set of iForged REV wheels in 17/18 set up I believe...just contact them and tell them what size you're looking for and I'm sure they can custom make them. :)

Regards,
- Z

you can go 18/18 you just have to play with the tire sizes to get the same rolling radius as you would have with the 16/17 factory tire. you need to try and be a close to that as posible for the abs and tcs.

Most people go for staggered b/c it looks better. IMO, 18/18 looks a little funny.

afaik there are more tire choices in 17 in for the front ,plus if you look at old threads you will learn that 18 wheels are more prone to dents and heavier.

White94 said:
Most people go for staggered b/c it looks better. IMO, 18/18 looks a little funny.
I agree. With different diameter wheels (i.e. 17"/18"), the sidewall heights are similar, so it looks balanced. When you use the same diameter wheels, the front sidewall height is a lot shorter than the rear, so it looks less balanced.

Here are the sizes most frequently used, and their sidewall heights (not taking deflection into account):

215/40-17 front 3.39 inches
215/35-18 front 2.96 inches
265/35-18 rear 3.65 inches

Thanks for the information guys...much appreciated. I'm learning a lot each and every day on this forum.

question to add - what do people with the track setups use - staggered or normal?

JDM NSX said:
question to add - what do people with the track setups use - staggered or normal?
Usually, staggered.

I still use the stock 15"/16" tire sizes for my track tires (it's nice that the stock wheels are easy to find for cheap). Even those using larger wheels for their track setups are usually using staggered wheel sizes.

JDM NSX said:
I use Volk TE37 in 16x8.0 front (225/45/16) and 17x9.5 rear (275/40/17)

for track use you definately don't want to go big due to weight - the TE37s are some of the lightest wheels out there and in my sizes they weigh:
13.50lb front
16.35lb rear
59.70lb total

compared to OEM weights:

91-93
15.20lb front
18.86lb rear
68.12lb total

94-01
16.75 lb front
20.85 lb rear
75.20lb total

however, take care on your tyre choice as tyre weights vary greatly between brands and even between slightly different sizes within the same brand - you don't want to throw away your carefully gleaned weight loss through the wrong tyre choice

I use 17/17 ssr-c from tire rack

Heres a pic of my car when it had 18/18 combo. As you can see it doesnt look quite right.
85288528DSC01299_Medium_.JPG

Are there handling problems associated with having the same diameter wheels front and back? Tirerack told me that the car would handle terribly and that there would be a lot of oversteer. At the same time, they said that you couldnt put anything larger than a 16/17 combo on the car. That is obviously not true. Is the rest true?

moehr said:
Are there handling problems associated with having the same diameter wheels front and back? Tirerack told me that the car would handle terribly and that there would be a lot of oversteer. At the same time, they said that you couldnt put anything larger than a 16/17 combo on the car. That is obviously not true. Is the rest true?

Even their own website shows 18/19 combos. I woudl go with GT3's if they were available in 17/18.

I have 17/17 and have not noticed any excessive oversteer. FYI, I have 275 in the rear and 215 in the front.

moehr said:
Are there handling problems associated with having the same diameter wheels front and back?
No.

The stock '02-05 NSX has the same diameter wheels front and back.

moehr said:
Tirerack told me that the car would handle terribly and that there would be a lot of oversteer.
Perhaps they were referring to specific tire sizes. Or, perhaps they were just wrong.

Back