• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why is air conditioning not as cold at idle

I have not noticed to much of a difference between r12 and r134a. I have been able to get both to about 34 degrees on numerous cars and you really don't want to let the system go below 36 degrees because the evaporator can freeze

The evaporator does have a temp sensor that will turn off the compressor when it gets to cold to prevent freezing.

Bumping this old thread. I am having this issue as my AC is not that cold.

I flushed my refrigerant and put in R12a refrigerant. On idle, the air is marginally colder if not the same. If I rev the engine and hold it at 2000 to 2500 rpm, the air gets colder. This is all while the car is stationary. The condenser fans are spinning. Could it be a weak compressor?

I flushed my refrigerant and put in R12a refrigerant. On idle, the air is marginally colder if not the same. If I rev the engine and hold it at 2000 to 2500 rpm, the air gets colder. This is all while the car is stationary. The condenser fans are spinning. Could it be a weak compressor?

I assume you did proper evac and recharge. Yes you have to get the air out for it to work properly. I don't know why you would use r12a which is a propane/butane mix. The proper choice for your system is r134a.

it's a Honda thing. Honda for some reason have weakest A/C of all the car I've drove.
Now if I can some how can put Toyota or Nissan compressor in the nsx, it would be awesome.

it's a Honda thing. Honda for some reason have weakest A/C of all the car I've drove.
Now if I can some how can put Toyota or Nissan compressor in the nsx, it would be awesome.

Agree. Honda's A/C systems tend to be on the weak side compared to other auto manufacturer's. In this 35 celsius weather, my Honda Odyssey's A/C system is cold while driving, but at idle it's not as cool - never mind my NSX.

In my experience, GM vehicles have the coldest A/Cs.

I inspect vehicles for an automotive extended warranty company in fla. Many times ac compressors loose the ability to pump at idle. I look at at many vehicles which cool much better in the high rpm range. Yes i would say they wear out. I strongly suggest you go to a quality ac repair shop and have them check the pressures. You cannot tell unless some hooks up pressure gauges and tests the system.. hope this helps

reading this thread, and thinking my AC isn't as good as it once was especially in traffic, I decided to take a look.
Found the Left Condenser Fan was not running. I checked the fuse, and just like mentioned here it was blown. replaced it, and it blew again.
So I took the wheel off, removed the plastic shrouding and found that the fan would not turn freely. Now these are brush type fans, so if the fan is stuck for any reason the current level will increase and possibly blow a fuse.
I took a closer look as to what was preventing the fan from turning. And there was the hood bumper that I lost a couple of years ago! I just assumed that it fell off and was on the road somewhere. That hood bumper was preventing the fan from turning. I put everything back together, and replaced the fuse. Now the NSX is cool in traffic again. (and I have my hood bumper back installed)
below are pictures of the fuse box. Fuses in question are the two 10 amp I installed upside down for reference. The evaporator fan and shroud. and my hood bumper.

thanks Prime!

Attachments

• IMG_0276.jpg
    IMG_0276.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_0278.jpg
    IMG_0278.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
Back