• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why is difficult to sell the NSX ??

This is the second time I am listing it - first time was about 2 months ago !!!

Not even a single phone call !!!!! This is weird

Any ideas ???

What year and what price? It won't be difficult at all if you drop the price cheap enough. :biggrin:

Si said:
What year and what price? It won't be difficult at all if you drop the price cheap enough. :biggrin:

1991 with 95,000 kms - was asking 44,000 OBO - dropped it to 40,000 OBO

Do I need to drop it to $35,000 to sell it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It may come down to where and how you're advertising it. Spend a little more on a better AutoTrader ad, look into the Globe and Mail for national sales coverage etc. Gotta spend to sell.

I listed my 95 Mustang for 2 months without a call. Then on the last day of the listing I decided to keep it, I got a call and it sold for what I was asking.

You only need one really interested party to buy your car. They just need to know it's for sale.

I have found that with the NSX's being such an old car, there is a huge opportunity for it being abused / neglected, etc. It's not just a 16 year old car, it's also a sports car which invites the type of driving that requires proper diligent maintenance. The worse thing you can do is purchase an NSX at the Excellent / Mint price and find out that it was not properly maintained...

Here are some things that I looked for that might help you sell...

- Lots of good quality pictures.
- Copies or originals of all service records
- If it is a US car, a CarFax report should be available
- A recent 3rd party appraisal

At the price you are asking, I would expect that the car is truly mint...
- all service performed with proof (by now, 3 timing belt changes)
- no collision history, no damage, 1-2 minor dings at the most
- proof that there was no winter driving (letter from insurance showing removal of collision during winter, lack of salt stains during inspection)
- paint should be immaculate with minor stone chips and light swirl marks
- average wear on the seat bolsters but no clear damage to interior / leather
- a full mechanical insp, leak down test, compression test should come up clean
- search on NSX prime to ensure the car was NOT tracked a la "here is a pic of me last weekend at Watkins Glen doing a nice power slide!"

If your ads do not highlight these things, it's likely that a buyer will dismiss this as someone trying to over price the NSX rather than giving a fair value. Don't forget that everyone will be comparing the US prices and today, the equivallent of an Excellent/Mint 91 NSX is about $30k and maybe $35k if the mileage is sub 30k miles.

I hope this helps you and maybe allow you to update your add or adjust your price accordingly.

NSX7 said:
1991 with 95,000 kms - was asking 44,000 OBO - dropped it to 40,000 OBO

Do I need to drop it to $35,000 to sell it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The high KLMs might be scaring off potential buyers, even though most of us know a properly maintained NSX (like any Honda) has no difficulties after 100000 Klms. Honestly, for me, it would have to be roughly mid thirtys for me to by a 15 year old car with that many klms....even in my favorite colour.
Now, if its an "off" colour, or G-d forbid, an Auto, you might be stuck for worse or longer....

Also, as someone else mentioned, the US market now comes into play. Not only because of the recent relative strengthening of the loonie vs $US, but because 1991 are now 15 year old cars, and can be brought in without restriction. So many 1991 NSXs are in the US, a potential buyer has alot of choice,...and better chance of finding their particular dream/ideal car.

Good Luck!

I agree with you all on the US car issue - but if you open the trader in the US, you will find that a low miles NSX (60,000 miles) or 100,000 kms has a listing price of 29,000-32,000 USD - convert that at 1.1 = $33,000 + 6% duty and you are already in the $35,000 Cdn$ - so I think it is very fair to get a Canadian car where you know all the history behind and bought originally for me by MVL Leasing (a leasing company with very good reputation) and sell very high-end cars - all this for $40,000 - and considering that the two most expensive items have been done on the car (timing belt and clutch) - for $5,000, it is definitely not worth it to go to the US - I bought an E46 M3 from the states because I saved $15,000 Cdn - now that's worth buying

It's funny, I was thinking about a 69 GTO in 1999. I could have bought one for about $49,000 Canadian back then.

One owner I spoke to had had his car for sale for several months. Six years later, in 2005, some GTOs have sold for well over a million dollars! WTF????

It's all about market conditions for cars like ours. Right now is a great buyers market for NSXs.

Last edited:
swbatte said:
It's funny, I was thinking about a 69 GTO in 1999. I could have bought one for about $49,000 Canadian back then.

One owner I spoke to had had his car for sale for several months. Six years later, in 2005, some GTOs have sold for well over a million dollars! WTF????

It's all about market conditions for cars like ours. Right now is a great buyers market for NSXs.

well i dont know how true that is that a GTO would be worth several million dollars
the most i saw one go for was a 69 Judge orange in color all original with 4400 miles on the clock and this thing was in beautiful shape but only sold for a couple hundered thousand

I'm looking for a car now and would not pay that much for a 90K km car. There are plenty of 30K km cars in the US for that price. Even though the car may be solid, why pay the same for triple the kms.

I would say it needs to be competitively priced with a southern US car and be certified not winter driven.

Still looking ....

Pit-Pony said:
I'm looking for a car now and would not pay that much for a 90K km car. There are plenty of 30K km cars in the US for that price. Even though the car may be solid, why pay the same for triple the kms.

I would say it needs to be competitively priced with a southern US car and be certified not winter driven.

Still looking ....

I paid that much for the NSX 3 years ago and I will sell it for that much, otherwise I am going to keep it - the Canadian dollar will weaken again, it's just a matter of time - From a seller's point of view (me), it does not make sense to lose money on a car (NSX) you should not lose money on just because the US Dollar is getting weaker and people can buy the car form the US. If I am in a desperare need of the money, then yes - but I am only selling because of the two kids situation, and I know for sure I will get another NSX sooner or later.

Good luck finding a super clean NSX with (18,000 miles) or (30,000 kms) for $40,000 Cdn including everything - you need a very very desperate seller in the US for such a price you are stating - just remember mileage is not everthing !!!!!!!!!!!!!

There'sa black one for sale now for 40K with 79K kms. Not a bad deal. It even has the rare "Vortec" engine! :rolleyes:

one of my friend just get a 1991 red/black NSX 90000km for $31000 with all the history and accident free, so i think you may consider to lower a bit the price

well its obvious hes not looking to drop his price from the comments made in his posts in this thread
he asked why he cant sell his car or no one shows interest yet we are giving him all the reasons why and still stays firm on the price

Kcwc said:
one of my friend just get a 1991 red/black NSX 90000km for $31000 with all the history and accident free, so i think you may consider to lower a bit the price

Canadian or US dollars? Do you think dealers are stupid? They are asking 50k for a 91 NSX. Are they all hoping for an idiot to pay too much?

so based on all the comments then, do you think $31,000-35,000 is a fair price for a 91 NSX w/95,000 kms and in top shape meachanically and cosmetically ??

I am not arguing - I am seriously asking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kaz1116 said:
well its obvious hes not looking to drop his price from the comments made in his posts in this thread
he asked why he cant sell his car or no one shows interest yet we are giving him all the reasons why and still stays firm on the price

Your comments are all wrong - If you look in my ad in the trader, you will see that I lowered the price from 44,000 to 40,000 - I also stated OBO - I also mentioned in the ad that I am looking for offers

So, I am sure if someone is intereted, they would at least call and make an offer because I asked for offers even if it was $25,000 - but the fact that nobody called makes me think that people are not interested in such a car right now !!!!!!!!!!

NSX7 said:
Your comments are all wrong - If you look in my ad in the trader, you will see that I lowered the price from 44,000 to 40,000 - I also stated OBO - I also mentioned in the ad that I am looking for offers

So, I am sure if someone is intereted, they would at least call and make an offer because I asked for offers even if it was $25,000 - but the fact that nobody called makes me think that people are not interested in such a car right now !!!!!!!!!!

but if someone offered u $35,000 u stated in one of ur other posts u would not except that

The main reason I think is the year and price.
Yes it is rare, it was expensive when it was new but it is also a 15 years old car.
For $40000 people can buy a faster or newer car such as STi, 350Z, G35C, or may be an early year E46 M3 or 996 C2 if lucky enough or add a little.
Also it is not so easy to borrow $40000 for a 15 years old car.
That's what I think why I always see the same NSX's being listed on Buy&Sell or Autotrader for months.
People can get a much newer or even a brand new car for $400000 so why bother buying a 15 years old car for $40000??

The real issue is that one can buy a much more recent car (95-99) for about the same or slightly higher.

These cars can't maintain an unreasonable value forever. There are lots for sale these days. You can not compare yourself to a dealer either as there are some advantages to buying for a dealer and negotiation is also a bit less of an issue than with a private individual who sees a personal value in his car. Pricing it too high and asking for BO is not the way to attract serious buyers. The only buyers out there for these 15 year old cars now are savvy about the value and are all looking for a bargain. It's not going to be a spur of the moment decision.

If you want to sell your car, you have to ask a price that the market will support. What are other comparable cars actually selling for (US and Canada)? If you're just fishing (like you seem to be) you're just wasting everyone's time.

One more thing, if the Canadian dollar is going anywhere it's approaching par to the US and not the other way. It's an integrated market these days.

As a prospective buyer, I will say the cost that some Canadians place on their car is far too high. As stated by other members, you're competing against American sellers as well. I live in Windsor, ON so driving across the border to pick up an NSX is definitely route I will take if the exchange rate continues to be where it is.

lithiumus has met me before (Woodbine Acura meet, April 2005). He's given me insight on how to import a car from the US -> Canada. Doesn't seem difficult provided you have all the appropriate documentation.

So NSX7, you have every right to price your car the amount you wish. However, for C$40k, I would rather buy a slightly used (2yr old) G35 coupe that has a warranty than a 15+ yo exotic car.

If you're willing to drop it to US$18,660 (~C$20k) as per KBB private party cost, then I could cut you a cheque within the week. Please refer to this link:

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ucp?kbb.MI;;MI125&48336&;899575&;;ucp;&16;AC;C1

I realize that KBB is only a reference, not an end-all be-all in pricing. And I don't mean to insult you, just want you to 'see' what some market prices are.

Back