• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why is it so easy to get finderprints on a brand new car?

I've always noticed that they are more easily smudged w/ fingerprints then say a car that was just polished and waxed. Is it because they use a finish spray or is it just because the finish is brand new? I've never used a finish spray. :redface:

From what I can understand, you are asking why it is easy to put fingerprint marks on a new car versus a car that had been detailed, correct? If so, some reasoning behind this could be that the wax takes the beating from the fingers and does not show the damage, but the new paint on the car takes the damage as there is no wax to protect it. If you are talking about new paint from a repainting job after an accident, then it is different. Resprayed paint NOT from the factory will remain soft for 30 days as it out gases. This does not occur with cars from the factory as the paint is heated to high temperatures that out gases the paint.

sorry I should clarify. Notice how new cars in the showrooms and at car shows show smudges from fingerprints so easily. Compare this to a car that has just been waxed and it still does not show smudge so easily. Why is this?

I would guess that a freshly waxed car won't show as many fingerprints as you just detailed it and want it to look perfect. The showroom cars and the car show cars are viewed and touched by many, in turn, more fingers touching, more fingerprints. Also I would guess too that since the wax is fresh, the wax hides the fingerprints as some waxes do hide some blemishes.

Back