• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

WHY won't you drive your NSX in rain?

When I left Fargo, ND, with my newly acquired NSX heading to California, I drove into a major stormfront in Idaho so the car got a good drenching. Since the front tires were worn down pretty good on the inside (didn't know about this NSX characteristic back then) the front end did wander a bit but slowing down kept it under control.

Montana was another story. Can't believe I drove through that state so quickly.
biggrin.gif

Had my first NSX when I lived in Scotland. Not only was it a daily driver, it was a daily driver in the rain!

In California, I don't drive in rain, and have another daily, for the same reasons everyone has mentioned.

Contrary to most everyone else, in this post, I drive my car in the rain all the time (and I have 2 other vehicles to choose from as well). The NSX handles very well and I have had no real concerns about driving the car in inclement weather. I don't believe the car has deteriorated due to use in the rain. As for detailing the car afterward? Thats part of the fun of car ownership .

holy cow... 28 replies so far and i only posted this last night. thanks... some interesting reasons.

i can understand owners of dark cars complaining, and not driving in snow. Sounds like fear of an accident is one of the biggest reasons.
frown.gif
If you own a silver NSX, this could be a big problem since that color blends into the road & rain. At least red stands out.
smile.gif

That's a really good point about the NSX looking photogenic in rain: I noticed that in their promotional videos too (just figured they did the filming during a monsoon period
tongue.gif
)

thanks guys... interesting read... keep the reasons coming.

My reasons I do not drive in the rain:

1. I have another daily driver
2. I have no Wipers
3. I hate having to re-clean the whole car, I keep my suspension, fender wells, underbody, etc very clean
4. Risk of accidents does go up.(other people drive like Shi@t in the rain)

------------------
www.xlconcepts.com

I'm certainly not afraid to drive my NSX in the rain, but I do try to avoid the rain if possible.

Clean-up is one minor issue, but the main reason is that you really can't enjoy the car as much.

Accidents are a concern (because primarily of the bozos out on the road) too. And the NSX isn't the best in wet weather.

Although I've not done a study, it seems that many NSX accidents happen on wet or slippery roads. Driving a NSX under those conditions requires extra care and patience. Particularly so if you have rear tires that have worn more than a 1/3 down.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
2003 MINI Cooper S - On Order - All Black
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 15 March 2003).]

I have noticed the NEVER driven in the rain tag on nsx ads also. You must drive the thing to enjoy it the most and I think rock and debris damage on the front and under the car is more of a problem than a light film under the wheel wells. Remindes me of of a BMW clean car contest I came apon at the Italian Corsico. They had there dental pics, q-tips and a full array of cleaners and conditioners to see who could be the most annel. It could have been a OCD anonymous gathering. I am going to get in trouble here but its a CAR, subject to the inevetable dirt time and occasional bird poo. They will almost all eventually wind up on the scrap heap so I would rather drive it and enjoy what this car can do than rub it. Just an opinion, Cheers, Dan

all stock, new tires, in the rain at night on the interstate--up to 130mph---completely solid handling. sucks to clean up black though.

nsx handles well in the rain if youve got new stock tires.

I won't drive my NSX in the rain because I don't trust the soccer mom's out there in their oversized SUVs to pay attention to the road with a vehicle full of kids. With 3 vehicles, its a risk I don't have to take.

------------------
1996 NSX-T (red/tan)
1994 Mustang GT 5.0
2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab

Originally posted by Honda4Life:
4. Risk of accidents does go up.(other people drive like Shi@t in the rain)

This is especially true in sunny states like AZ. Add the retirees and soccer moms, and it's practically suicide to try to drive anywhere in the rain.

Also, it's not uncommon for the water to pool 3"-4" deep during heavy monsoon storms in some areas around here. Your NSX would be flooded as soon as you opened the doors.

I would never drive my car in the rain due to the above reasons.

So uh... it rained here in San Diego...

... they say "never say never" ... and uh... I said never.

I uh... drove my NSX in the rain today... on purpose.

I was sitting at home just watching the rain come... and it wasn't stopping!

I then had the biggest urge to take my NSX for a spin. So I did.

I had a blast! I excercised my ABS system... played with the TCS on and off...
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Originally posted by rprnet:
I won't drive my NSX in the rain because I don't trust the soccer mom's out there in their oversized SUVs to pay attention to the road with a vehicle full of kids

...while they're talking on the cell phone.

If you own a silver NSX, this could be a big problem since that color blends into the road & rain. [/B]

Yup, that's how I got rear ended when I was living in Portland. Driver never saw me on a rainy day.

However, when I did live in Portland I drove my car in the rain all the time, as previously mentioned, otherwise you would never get to drive your NSX living in the Great Northwest.

Down here, I keep the NSX in the garage when it rains, mainly because I can.

I don't drive it in the rain either cuz:
1. it's a mid engine and rear wheel drive...very dangerous on a wet road and twisties.
2. I have a beater car.
3. and most importantly it's an EXOTIC. Driving an exotic in the rain is a sin. hehehe
smile.gif

1) because its a pain to see it in dirt
2) because its a pain to wash it
3) because its a pain to wax it
4) because its a pain to drive rear wheel in wet

Originally posted by Litesokneecough:
I don't like to drive my NSX in the rain simply because the chance of an accident goes up dramatically during inclement weather. I don't take any chances more than I have to.

I don't drive mine for the same reason. Even when the rain starts, I know I'm going to be taking alot of accident reports. I dont take the chance because I have seen it all.

Jonathan:

Did you get rear ended on Mill Plain in Vancouver? I did. Someone who saw my accident said they saw the same thing happen to a silver one about a block away.

I got hit in a red one on a sunny day. I was stopped at a red light. The lady who hit me never hit her brakes as she was yelling at her kid.

To make a long story short... Ouch.

------------------
Please visit http://www.nsxparts.com. The best place to buy and sell parts for your NSX.

Originally posted by huckster:
all stock, new tires, in the rain at night on the interstate--up to 130mph---completely solid handling. sucks to clean up black though.

nsx handles well in the rain if youve got new stock tires.

huckster, I would highly be careful of hydroplaning!! The NSX, just like any other car, is susceptible to hydroplaning, especially at those speeds. I'd hate for you to not be able to take a curve when you're traveling 130mph. Be careful now, won't you!
wink.gif

Regards.

Rain and silver NSX is the reason that last year made me buy a daily driver / beater.

I was front ended by somenone that "did not see me" while raining... only cosmetic damage but quite expensive for his insurance (front bumber, right wheel and right fender).

Two weeks later the Renault Clio was at my home, I said NEVER again!
mad.gif

nsxholic, thanks for your comment. Yeah, believe me, i wasnt doing anything but going straight---i was curious how well she 'stuck' in the rain. I was actually surprised that the car felt this stable at that speed. This was late at night with no one on the interstate, so i didnt have to worry about other people, just the elements.

having said that, i DONT intend to do this again. it was more of an experiment--or stupidity. anyway it was fun and i did it and dont intend to repeat the experiment.

Originally posted by nsxparts.com:
Has anyone here drove a late model vette in the rain? The wide rears make them hydroplane much worse than the NSX.

I just turned in a 2000 Vette prior to picking up my 02 NSX, the vette was fine in the rain as long as you had 50% or more remaining tread on the tires, under 50% it would hydroplane rather easily. In the last 3 months of the vette, I knew that I'd be real close to having to replace the tires and didn't want to have to go for a new set, so I was extremely careful in the wet.

Back