• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wider than stock tyres on 91-94 stock rims.

You would have to check and see whether the stock rim widths (6.5 and 8.0 inches) are wide enough for the tires you're considering. There will also be a performance penalty, since it's like putting taller gears on your car.

Most folks go wider by using wider wheels with bigger wheel diameters, while keeping the outer diameters of the tires the same. If you're interested in wider tires, that's what I would do - anything from the stock '94-01 sizes on 16"/17" wheels, to 215/40-17 and 255/35-18 on aftermarket wheels.

I have installed 245/45-16 's on the rear with no problems and these keep the stock rolling diameters of the original 225/50-16 tires.

In the front I run the stock size.
Ideally one would run 215/45-15 up front to avoid oversizing the diameter but it is a very rare size......I believe I've only seen this size on some goodyear gatarback tires.

I know about after market rims and wider tyres.
I just like the weight and handling of the stock 15-16 combo.

From the FAQ I see that 6,5" will have a range on (6.5*25.4*1.1) = 181 and (6.5*25.4*1.3) = 214.6
So any tyre in the 180-215 range should be ok. 215 is probably pushing the limits then.

In the back, 8", the range is about 225-265, so 235, 245 and 255 shold be ok.

CFNSX, how is your car handling with the larger rears? It should make it even more understeered?

NSXTASY, please show me your formulas for doing outer diameter calculations and % larger/smaller than stock rolling diameter calculations. You seem to whip out those numbers like they're in your head:)

I,ve had the wider (245-45-16) rear tires for the last year and have noticed no obvious detrament in handling.
I changed to these tire sizes after a fellow NSX'r , who tracks his car at Mosport advised these sizes improved his traction at the max under high g cornering.
I don't track my car but under high cornering loads I've noticed that the rear is more planted and easier to catch when oversteer hits.
When I wear out these tires I will not be going back to the smaller (225-50-16) rears.
If I could find suitable 215-45's (15) for the front I would install them as well but unfortunately availability was extremely limited the last time I looked.

Back