• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Will it actually come to market?

This is the third concept that they have made and the past two were not produced because of world economic factors and luke warm receptions. The same factors seems to be occurring. I don't really have high hopes of it coming to market. And if it did, I'm not yet sold on buying one because although its cool looking, it just doesn't stir the soul for me like the original. It may grow on me but that in itself is disappointing.

GTR is a sales and press hit for Nissan.
R8 is a hit for Audi.
Both 911s and M cars keep coming and selling like crazy.

Honda doesn't have one car for sale in the US that will do even a moderately decent 0-60 time. All their current cars have been aligned to compete against Toyota, which means they are rubbish, boring appliances. They can't take down the King of Beige by fighting them with Beige of their own. They have no sporty lineup left and that new Civic-based Acura won't make their fortunes any better, it looks terrible and will probably drive that way as well.

That said, I think Honda desperately needs this car in their lineup and needs it to be a hit with the auto press to make any sales. So, I think it will come out as planned. They have to be careful though, if the press says the same thing they said about the CR-Z, no one will want it and Honda will kill it very quickly.

I think it looks promising, way better than the other two concepts. True and proper successor to the original car. Honda just needs to forget about all that "green" nonsense and build a competitive car.

I agree that despite what has been said, the NSX is not a sure thing. And what I think will dictate whether it comes to market or not will be if it is able to meet Honda's goal for it as a halo car.

I am not sure that Honda's goals align with many enthusiasts posting here. I do not think Honda will be targeting sub 4 second 0-60 or sub 12 second 1/4 mile as much as I think they may want to showcase what they can do with SH-AWD as a both a safety and performance feature that perhaps can make a bad drive good or a good driver great. They may also want to be setting a new standard for hybrid technology and I for one feel that they may fail in, unless they can come up with a new battery technology that has yet to be implemented in a hybrid.

I have a CRZ and it is a very good little commuter car. I get 38 mpg for an overall average and it is a stylish fun car to drive. But it did fail, as mentioned above, with the press. And for the uninformed public, this failure has hurt Honda as a legititamate alternative to the hybrid class leader Prius.

So should Honda fail in their own internal goals for the NSX, I think we still may see the NSX canceled yet again.

I will put money on this one, it will hit the market.

Honda's biggest draw back was having nothing bigger than a V6. HSC was not powerful enough 9 years ago and we were in a middle of a recession, and Honda still had the NSX and S2k.

Now they have nothing and they need something. Timing can't be any better, because 2 to 3 years the recession will be over, and all the guys who will buy this car will be mostly current NSX owners who have been dying for another Honda, or the tech geeks of tomorrow. People will be dying to buy a cool car and this car will be priced cheaper than the German brands.

Since they promise the car with V8 like performance and 4 cylinder fuel economy, they actually have a technologic goal and market attraction.

It will be really nice if they can do the CFRP center tub like the McLaren.

Last edited:
At first it is hard to believe that Honda/Acura have the NSX concept.. But now i believe that it will come out to the market. First, Ito san have said in the conference in Detroit motor show that the NSX will be on the production.. And then second, i still did not believe it, so I email them and they said it is true that it will come to the market in about 3 yrs.. But still I think it is like a dream so I tweet Acura.. And Acura said that it's true.. So these 3 reasons makes me believe strongly that it will come out..

Isn't it weird if a big company like Honda/ Acura have said that it will be on the market, then they suddenly back out?

plus If you google it, under Acura official website, there is a saying 2013 NSX, which make sense that the next NSX might come next year!

Timing can't be any better, because 2 to 3 years the recession will be over,

It is good to dream, but I wouldn't count on it. Economists are calling this the new normal.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/318334

“The nature of the U.S. recovery, it's going to take a number of years before they get back to the U.S. that we used to know,” said Carney, a former Goldman Sachs executive director. “In fact, they are not in our opinion ultimately going to get back fully to the U.S. we used to know.”

Last edited:
No one will know for sure until it goes into production. No point in speculating. We've seen concepts before. We've heard that it will come back before.

I think this is the most concrete news we've heard since the original stopped production in 2005, but it's still pretty much just going to be up to the officers and directors of the company--and they are going to be influenced by the economy and shareholders.

Honda could only make a move that was completely isolated from the company's financials if it were private (i.e. Honda will never be purely driven by original racing intent or heritage/soul so long as it is public.) They are going to have to justify a halo sportscar with arguments like "trickle-down" effect and brand image.

Back