• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

window not going all the way up

Hi, I've done some research and was unable to find someone with the same problem I am experiencing, as most complain of slow operation, or not operating at all.

1991 NSX

I put my left/driver side window down yesterday with the auto-down switch. As it reached the bottom of the door, it made a grinding sound as if the regulator was still going down but the window had already reached the bottom. (this has happened once before, about 2 months ago, but everything seemed fine afterwards)

After this, I tried to put the window up, and it would stop at about 1/3 of the way up. The window functions fine up and down, but only goes up 1/3 of the way. No speed issue, no other noises, and no hiccups. Smooth operation just not going all the way up.

Any ideas before I order a regulator?

Thanks again!

When the window arrives at its 'new' up position, if you continue to hold the window control button in the up position, can you hear the regulator motor running (it would be noisy)? If you can hear motor noise, then the two cogged wheels in the regulator drive may be slipping. If the glass comes to an abrupt stop with no further sound, then the glass may be jamming; but, the cogs are not slipping. Both problems could be caused by poor lubrication of the regulator drive or an alignment problem in the glass. There are also some guides on the regulator track that wear and can jam; but, I have never heard of the 1/3 the way up type of jam. If the motor continues to run after the glass stops, then the cogged teeth may be rounding off in which case the regulator may be toast. If you can address the cause of the jam the regulator might still be able to operate the glass over its full range even with worn teeth. Checking for sticky glass, a mis alignment problem, worn guides or damage to the internal drive of the regulator all require pulling off the interior door panel to have a look at things.

There is a problem with broken retainer clips on the early model window regulators; but, in that case I think you end up with complete non operation of the window, not stopping 1/3 of the way up.

Go to post #109 in this thread.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...ator-upgrade-kits/page5?highlight=window+kits

At the bottom of the post you will find some links that take you to the installation instructions for Hugo's window upgrade kit. There is a You tube video by Hugo of the repair which is even better than the .pdf if you can find the video. The useful part for you will be instructions that tell you how to take the regulator out and take it apart. This will allow you to examine the internals of the drive mechanism to see if they are damaged or perhaps you have a frayed cable that is causing the jam. You will also be able to check for broken or really worn guides on the regulator track. Replacement guides were available from Hugo (who now seems to have ceased production) and appear to still be available from SOS.

With the regulator out of the door, you can check for smooth operation of the glass in its tracks. That is something that you should probably do with two people since it is a fairly large / awkward / heavy piece and you do not want to go dropping it into the bottom of the door cavity. If the glass is jamming it its tracks you don't want to be putting a new regulator in and damage it because of the jam.

Regardless of what the repair is, you are doing the deep dive into the door cavity. I just suggest that you do the deep dive before you order a new regulator to confirm that the problem is a broken regulator and not a problem with the tracks for the glass or some other issue.

When the window arrives at its 'new' up position, if you continue to hold the window control button in the up position, can you hear the regulator motor running (it would be noisy)? If you can hear motor noise, then the two cogged wheels in the regulator drive may be slipping. If the glass comes to an abrupt stop with no further sound, then the glass may be jamming; but, the cogs are not slipping. Both problems could be caused by poor lubrication of the regulator drive or an alignment problem in the glass. There are also some guides on the regulator track that wear and can jam; but, I have never heard of the 1/3 the way up type of jam. If the motor continues to run after the glass stops, then the cogged teeth may be rounding off in which case the regulator may be toast. If you can address the cause of the jam the regulator might still be able to operate the glass over its full range even with worn teeth. Checking for sticky glass, a mis alignment problem, worn guides or damage to the internal drive of the regulator all require pulling off the interior door panel to have a look at things.

There is a problem with broken retainer clips on the early model window regulators; but, in that case I think you end up with complete non operation of the window, not stopping 1/3 of the way up.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...ator-upgrade-kits/page5?highlight=window+kits

At the bottom of the post you will find some links that take you to the installation instructions for Hugo's window upgrade kit. There is a You tube video by Hugo of the repair which is even better than the .pdf if you can find the video. The useful part for you will be instructions that tell you how to take the regulator out and take it apart. This will allow you to examine the internals of the drive mechanism to see if they are damaged or perhaps you have a frayed cable that is causing the jam. You will also be able to check for broken or really worn guides on the regulator track. Replacement guides were available from Hugo (who now seems to have ceased production) and appear to still be available from SOS.

With the regulator out of the door, you can check for smooth operation of the glass in its tracks. That is something that you should probably do with two people since it is a fairly large / awkward / heavy piece and you do not want to go dropping it into the bottom of the door cavity. If the glass is jamming it its tracks you don't want to be putting a new regulator in and damage it because of the jam.

Regardless of what the repair is, you are doing the deep dive into the door cavity. I just suggest that you do the deep dive before you order a new regulator to confirm that the problem is a broken regulator and not a problem with the tracks for the glass or some other issue.

Good advice all around. My guess is gummed up and/or misaligned window tracks. According to Kaz, the tracks themselves warp over time due to people holding the up switch after closing and maintaining tension on the cable and carrier, which puts strain on the aluminum.

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?1302-Final-Touch-02

I did the window fix it thingys recently. When I putting the window reg back in, the cable came out if the carrier, heard grinding and pulled it back out. Cable was damaged. Had to call a mobile guy to come fix it.
b2c8e7c6a646a3ea503fd7fb98db6721.jpg
f0873551968a9ed369b757c01ab31d5a.jpg
c732aa25ccfd302d344dace6ae0905b6.jpg
f0fdc2cb4c550c1978eeb14c31c5f7df.jpg
5da80a581be514d9108dd63b763f3a09.jpg
0ba97a1c4fca19158c9b3b6484bcb79a.jpg
b570d1336c160f6b86d9f040c6b17ada.jpg
1b6537679cd4d63cedb4661fa9de8e86.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thank you for chiming in. I will take apart the door panel and start inspecting things this week. I will update the thread to let everyone know what i find for future references.

Thanks again!

Wow, a mobile power window repair service. Only in America!

Did he replace the regulator drive cable? It looked a little gnarly after it jumped out of the guide. It would be good to know that there are replacement cables or that replacement cables can be fabricated. Long time ago you used to be able to get cables fabricated at a lot of motorcycle shops. Not so much any more.

Back