• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Windshield Nozzle Leaking, why??

car: 93 with 36k, manual.
i've started noticing the driver's side washer nozzle oozing, leaking a stream of black liquid around the nozzle and pooling about 2inches from the nozzle toward the fender.. i also notice that this liquid will stain the hood if u don't clean it up right away. I've remove the nozzle and check for clog or anything but it's free flowing when u blow air thru the squirter..no clog. but i don't know y it would still leak..it seems as though the remain fluid in the line somehow get pushed out the nozzle, but if that's the case then the passenger side would do that samething..but it doesn't..

any advice? i dont think the squirter have a backflow valve..because i blow air through it from both ends and air flow evenly..both holes flow equally..

this leaking problem is annoying..should i flush the system? i've remove the squirter from the hood and clean the 90degree connector piece but still leak..

You must not use your washers much. Must be stangnent water that has found its way back into the lines. Just run your washers to flush it out and if its still a problem empty your washer tank, flush through a quart od water and then refill with fresh fluid.

thanks Brian. just bought the car last month..i've used it a couple times since, but it still does that..i'm gonna flush the tank and see what happen..

oh btw, the replacement amp u send me work wonderful..don't hear a "pop" when turn on stereo anymore..i'll send u mine tomorrow..
thanks again

You might want to soak your nozzles in some CLR to remove calcium build up that may have been there from the prior owner.

Here's the real test. Switch the nozzles from right to left (I think this is possible, haven't used nozzles in so many years). If the problem follows the nozzle then problem solved. Buy a new nozzle. :)

^^that's a good idea..never thought of it b4..i did switch the nozzle but have not soa it in CLR..is it safe for the paint though? i know CLR take off calcium, lime, rust but don't know about paint.

I'm not sure about painted parts, but I thought the nozzle was just plastic? Maybe dilute the CLR so it's not as strong or try another safer cleaner.

UPDATE:
tried switching the nozzle first..didn't fix it..still leak, especially at high speed on the highway.

flushed the tank, run clean water thru the line and system..and it still does it..i flush with about a quart of clean water..so i know the line is somewhat clean..i'm sure u cant get it fully clean w/out somekind of detergent in the system..anyway, filled up with rainx washer fluid..and well, it's still does it..

what the heck??

i'm lost now..dunno what to do..

UPDATE:
tried switching the nozzle first..didn't fix it..still leak, especially at high speed on the highway.

flushed the tank, run clean water thru the line and system..and it still does it..i flush with about a quart of clean water..so i know the line is somewhat clean..i'm sure u cant get it fully clean w/out somekind of detergent in the system..anyway, filled up with rainx washer fluid..and well, it's still does it..

what the heck??

i'm lost now..dunno what to do..
Don't know about our NSXs BUT my Nissan has little plastic one-way valves in line in the nozzle hoses to avoid siphoning and sloshing water doing this...
Good luck!

My car has done that for years as well.* I use to hate the black streaks the fluid would leave on the paint.* Since my car is never dirty enough or driven in the rain often, I just leave it empty.* In fact when I take the car in for oil changes I have to remind them not to fill.*

I took a needle of proper size and inserted it down into the nozzle from the top... Breaks up the garbage in there,,,,had to do it many times...
Undo the hose on the back...blow air backward through as well...
You get the idea right...
Trev

How about you buy some cheap washer nozzles from the local parts store to see if you still have the same problem. If you do then I'm guessing it's not the nozzle and maybe air pushing out water through the lines.

^^that's my thinking too..somehow the air is pushing the left over liquid out but only on the driver side..

She's probably lactating thinking about her next drive... It's normal.

I'm performing CPR on this thread because I have this problem and it is VERY annoying.

Anyone come up with a cure before I simply run my tank empty? I just can't take it anymore.

It's only the driver's side that does this.

Reminds me of this.

weepingmary203.jpg

^^same with mine..also on Driver's side..not only it's annoying, but if you don't clean it up it kinda soak into the top coat..leaving a streak of watermark...and it's dark like ink..mine haven't done it that much often since i posted the thread..but once in awhile, it'll do it..especially after i had ran the wiper with washer fluids..last time i just drain the tank making sure it flushes all the fluid out then refill it with brand new fluid..that seems to help a bit..atleast i know the line are washed out clean.

Back