• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Working out / strength training without weights or the gym

Seeking proven advice from any experienced hands here regarding strength training at home using self-weight, bands, pull-up bars, 8-15 lb dumbbells, etc. Think P90X kindergarten or summer school. I can find decent info on menshealth.com and bodybuilding.com etc. but nothing beats direct input from someone who does the walk, isn't all talk and is willing to share suggestions that might also help others here.

I de-prioritized exercising for 18 months due to work commitments (a four month response to a work emergency that required some 80 hour work weeks with a week of 10pm-10am days that were started at the drop of a hat, or actually 9:30pm to noon), a family member needing support during cancer treatments around the same time, and a health issue of my own. My bikes are dusty and I haven't had to replace worn-out gym/running shoes since late 2010. My bike used to take me on 24 hour team relay mountain bike races at WV ski resorts and vacations to Moab, but now it just growls at me.

In midwinter 2011 I completed 4-5 weeks of P90X (wow what a program) before stuff began hitting the fan and I stopped cold. Now I'm now lucky enough to be in a position of near-normalcy to get back at it. I feel like my summer of 2012 just began on Oct 1. In fact after I send this email I'm going for a 10 mile walk to Pittsburgh's strip district for a coffee, then up Mt. Washington, and then back home to kick off my three day weekend.

I can't cleanly complete the P90X prerequisites doing "honest" pullups, etc. and frankly can't even imagine subjecting my body or mind to P90X after so much time off. Too much too soon is too much risk for injury or burnout. After seeing what P90X can do, and after using a certain "shoulder reconditioning" program with dumbbells that I learned during some physical therapy, I completely recognize the potential to strength train at home w/o big weights or a gym membership. I'm much more motivated by the idea of zero commute time to the gym, keeping things simple, and taking advantage of several yoga shops nearby to shake things up occasionally. Plus bike/walking/running routes/trails are right outside my door here in the city.

I'm feeling the need to read some "real person" advice and not filter thru various webpages and indirect advertisements. I'd like to ask if anyone from my nsxprime pseudo-fraternity can suggest any workout advice, routines, or ideas. Or point me to any known good online resources to help with programs/ideas. There are times I like being creative and blazing my own trail and figuring things out on the fly, and then there are times I like taking a cookbook and following proven guidance. Here I'm looking for proven ideas, especially options to change up the routine every 3-6 weeks to keep it interesting and avoid the burnout that we all have fallen victim to at least once by repeating the same workout for too long. Looking to build a base from now to say, Christmastime, at which time I'll step things up in a different direction.

Below is the view from Mt. Washington that I'm walking to as the reward for an "easy" walk up the steep streets that leaves your legs with a reminder of the walk for the next 12 hours.

Now that I think about it I think I remember there being a "P90X lite" program by the same P90X people. But I feel this desire to keep things real simple and not go out and buy yet another program. Thanks for any ideas!

pittsburg_downtown_1024.jpg

I know Joe Rogan says kettle bells are the best workout.
Just youtube 'kettle bell workout' and sort by how long the video is.
Should find something good...

First off, what is your focus going to be? Strength, building muscle, fat loss, conditioning...?

I feel that bands force the importance of resistance in "both" directions however, you mustn't become bored. :wink:

how old are you? weight,height? any chonic illness?

I'm going to take a page out of Nike and say "Just do it."

Basically, doing something, anything is the key getting back into shape. It can be as simple as 1 minute circuit training. Try doing push ups for 45 seconds, rest 15 seconds. Then sit ups for 45 seconds then rest of 15 seconds. Then squats, then jump rope/jumping jacks, lunges, mountain climbers or plank, etc. If you have weights, you can throw in some simple curls or presses.

If you haven't worked out in a while just one round of each excercise will wipe you out in about 8 minutes. But if you keep it up, before you know it, you'll be doing 30-45 minutes. At that point, you'll be ready to step it up and re-P90X or CrossFit or whatever.

I'll second Vegas's comment. However, as a caveat, look up some Crossfit workouts.. There are quite a few that only require simple movements like pushups, situps, pullups, and squats. I recommend, for starters doing one or two CF workouts a week.

Kettle bells are also a great little tool. You'd be surprised how good of a workout you can get in 10mins or less.

The beauty of CF is that you can get a great smoker workout in less than 15 minutes. Being that you're limited on that, I highly recommend incorporating Crossfit into your routine. Message me if you want to discuss further. I'm working on becoming level one certified and I train with two people that are level one along with other certifications. I can program something for you according to your goals, time constraints, and space/equipment restrictions.

Check out Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred workout. She is the hard core trainer from Biggest Loser. Nothing is needed other than a couple of hand weights and a floor pad, if you are working out on a hard surface. It combines strength, cardio and core into an intense, 30 minute workout. You never stop during the 30 minutes and you will be totally spent at the end (particularly with level 3). I promise you results if you commit to doing this 5 days a week and watch your diet. I get up early in the morning and it is a great feeling to know I am done with my workout before I begin my workday. Good luck.

Wow, great replies and exactly along the lines of what I'm seeking.

First off, what is your focus going to be? Strength, building muscle, fat loss, conditioning...?

In a nutshell, strength and conditioning. Not for appearance but to feel better generally, sleep better, golf better, lift things more easily when working around the house, etc. And to counter the effects of a very sedentary office job that's no longer tied to my walking the manufacturing floor and test labs all day. Not worried about fat loss (155 lb, 5'10"), in fact I lost 10+ lbs recently unintentionally by cutting out bread, pasta, and desserts for health reasons (GI issues) and if anything would like to build back some lost muscle mass as a secondary benefit to just feeling more put together like I felt before my 18 month "sabbatical from fun." Whatever appearance/size gains occur will be be welcome additions and not a targeted goal. Related to the GI issue, I read that extreme aerobic workouts can be bad for GI inflammation and that it's better to instead step up the strength training & yoga. Now that I have some free time regained back, and now that winter is coming with less things to do outside, it's time to do it.

And rather than use a gym, I want to repeat the P90X aspect of doing this at home using self weight and simple tools - pull up bar, push ups, dumbbells, bands, etc. The time savings involved with working out from home was a big motivator.

I know Joe Rogan says kettle bells are the best workout.
Just youtube 'kettle bell workout' and sort by how long the video is.
Should find something good...

Very intrigued by this. This is exactly what I was looking for - something new I hadn't considered. Thank you.

how old are you? weight,height? any chonic illness?

44, 155, 5'10", only chronic issue is an occasional GI issue that was improved greatly over the past year by improving my sleep, saying "no" more at work (was hard at first), and removing bread & pasta & simple sugars from my diet. Amazing how easy it is to lose weight (unintentionally) by eating as much meat, veggies, and fruit as you want. I wish I could market this and get rich from it. Seems impossible to convince my friends who want to lose weight (but don't) to simply go for walks after work, replace the Weight Watchers frozen processed breakfast/lunch/dinners with good food, and ease off the breads, pastas, cookies, diet sodas, and the Thursday bagel club at work. But I digress...

You should do something you really enjoy. That way, motivation won't be an issue.

Agreed, I try to apply that to career opportunities. But I'm afraid golfing, biking, watching the Speed Channel, and searching for that elusive GPW coupe won't cut it for strength conditioning. :) J/K. As I mentioned above, what I've read about inflammatory GI issues is to not overdo the aerobic stuff and to consider increasing the strength training as a non-aerobic option (which also builds up any lost mass from occasional GI problems). Unfortunately biking is the "workout" I really enjoy. Also self-motivation is rarely an issue for me but finding workouts from the advice of others and changing things up every 4-5 weeks is key to me staying motivated, thus my request here. I've too often in the past stayed with a strength workout too long and then slacked off and went back to just biking and losing the gains only to restart and catchup a few months later. And why the need to get workout advice from someone else - hard to explain. I problem-solve at work generally 9 hours a day, fixing our problems and working with engineers and advising fabrication shops how to resolve deviation notices (more problem solving). For some reason I don't like to think about working out and just want to be told what to do. I've always done better following a workout plan given by someone who knows way more than me about it. That's why I liked P90X so much - was a menu to follow that was proven to be efficient and successful. BTW I hope Tim's car is treating you well, I think you got yourself a really well put-together car from him.

I'm going to take a page out of Nike and say "Just do it."

Basically, doing something, anything is the key getting back into shape. It can be as simple as 1 minute circuit training. Try doing push ups for 45 seconds, rest 15 seconds. Then sit ups for 45 seconds then rest of 15 seconds. Then squats, then jump rope/jumping jacks, lunges, mountain climbers or plank, etc. If you have weights, you can throw in some simple curls or presses.

I get the "just do it, and I can get away with a simple round of pushups, situps, squats, stretches, etc in a hotel room when traveling, but I lose interest in "random" exercising at home like that. I'm an engineer, I generally need to know I have some sense of a plan or recipe... :) For three winters in a row I followed the Joe Friel Cyclists' Training Bible and worked with a U of M cycling coach to train for 24 hour summer mountain bike races back in 1997-1999. I'm very disciplined when I have a plan or cookbook to follow for some reason. I'll lead or blaze my own way at work or in my personal life when the situation calls for it, but I prefer following training advice from someone who knows way more than I do about it. It was very liberating to realize in my late 20's that I didn't need to be able to figure most things out on my own and to rely on the expertise of others... But again I digress.

BTW this one still really cracks me up:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1622593&postcount=61

I feel that bands force the importance of resistance in "both" directions however, you mustn't become bored. :wink:

Yes, I'm determined to not get bored and stay with something longer than 5 weeks. I bought bands a few years ago and they were great for P90X. Learned to secure the band ends REALLY well though....a welt on my back from a band that loosened up from its tiedown didn't go away for months...

I'll second Vegas's comment. However, as a caveat, look up some Crossfit workouts.. There are quite a few that only require simple movements like pushups, situps, pullups, and squats. I recommend, for starters doing one or two CF workouts a week.

Kettle bells are also a great little tool. You'd be surprised how good of a workout you can get in 10mins or less.

The beauty of CF is that you can get a great smoker workout in less than 15 minutes. Being that you're limited on that, I highly recommend incorporating Crossfit into your routine. Message me if you want to discuss further. I'm working on becoming level one certified and I train with two people that are level one along with other certifications. I can program something for you according to your goals, time constraints, and space/equipment restrictions.

I'm VERY intrigued by this. Heard of crossfit but never really pursued it. Yes I'd like to get some ideas and will drop a line. The short time aspect sounds appealing in that I may be able to get back to early AM workouts again. But the short duration makes it also sound like a highly aerobic workout - perhaps it would be OK to ease into and try nonetheless.

>>>>>

Thanks everyone for ideas so far. I'm not keen on throwing out so much personal requesting online like this, it feels awfully self-indulgent. But the payoff potential for me (and others who may be reading) was to great to not pass up soliciting ideas from workout gurus or others with more knowledge than me in the NSX Prime fraternity. Good bunch of guys here. One thing I hadn't considered until this thread is to look up strength training workouts on youtube even though I use youtube all the time for photoshop training and other things (this). If I can pass one thing on in return, one thing that worked really well for the P90X videos was to burn the CD's to iTunes and use an iPad or laptop to watch the videos. MUCH easier move the iPad around and watch them at eye/floor level than looking up at a TV.

So, so far, thanks a ton.

Last edited:
Day 2 of the turnaround: went for a walk to Mt. Washington again for a morning coffee. This time, caught some photos on the way up that made me think this route could make for a good NSX hill climb race, right in the heart of the city. NSXPO 2013 in the Steeler Nation!

I'm VERY intrigued by this. Heard of crossfit but never really pursued it. Yes I'd like to get some ideas and will drop a line. The short time aspect sounds appealing in that I may be able to get back to early AM workouts again. But the short duration makes it also sound like a highly aerobic workout - perhaps it would be OK to ease into and try nonetheless.

>>>>>

So, I looked up Aerobic and anaerobic just to refresh my mind...just in case. Crossfit workouts, especially the programming I've been on is very anaerobic. It is like sprinting, but for a slightly more extended period of time. For example, yesterday's workout consisted of two movements: 21-15-9 reps of overhead squats (95lbs) and burpees. These two movements combined to be a leg burner.. but the OHS is a very taxing exercise on your entire body. I completed this workout in less than 12 minutes... since the goal (for many of these crossfit workouts) is to race the clock and finish as soon as possible. Some more fit athletes completed it in less than 8 minutes. He and I get the about the same out of this workout because we both went as hard and fast as we could. Catch my drift?

anaerobic capacity is most correlated with age...the younger the longer...you can attain improved levels with training/nutrition/doping...such that you shorten muscle recovery time.Aerobic capacity can be improved to a larger extent regardless of age because there are more cardiovascular variables involved that can be trained.

Last edited:
Back