• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

world's best carmaker, overall

Who is the world's best OVERALL car manufacturer?

General question, I know, but I think it is Porsche. Everytime I drive one, I can't help but to love the way it feels. I just got out of a lowly Boxster S. I cannot believe how good this car is, it never gets enough credit. Precise steering, precise brakes, responsive handling, nice ride, just a great feel to everything.

Anyone see the new Motor Trend? They picked the Cayman S over the Audi R8 and the world's best "drivers car". They just gushed about it again. Indeed, I have driven a lot of Caymans and they are just fantastic. Practical even. Trunk in the front, in the back, good in the snow, reliable. A car you can drive everyday. My brother-in-law has a Cayenne S... sure doesn't feel like an SUV when you drive it. 140K miles on it, its been a rock. No problems. Go to any track, and look at how much guys like GT3's. Continuous improvement, phenomenal brakes, center lock wheels.

Always innovative, and unlike the Italians, solid and reliable. BMW is good, but not AS GOOD. MB... well they make some good cars and some real crap too. Lexus/Toyota is boring, Infiniti is good value but not in the same class. Honda has no sports car.

If all car manufacturers had to die and one could only make cars, I'd rather it be Porsche than anyone else. I really think Porsche is the best. At least for now. I read that Weikeding got axed. Do you agree?

Last edited:
I 'm not sure who is the best today, but if this question was posed 15 years ago, I would have agreed with you .... the P-Car, hands down. I had a Boxter S recently and the fit and finish is just not there any more. Crappy assembly by Turks instead of Germans, and just fair quality control which I don't know if that means anything. My 1985 911 was much better, although it did not have the engineering/technological advances of todays model. NSX handles much better and is much more fun to drive. P-Cars have unbelievable OEM brakes though.
Bottom line = still good, but it's not the car it used to be. IMO.

boxter12.jpg

boxter2.jpg

boxter4.jpg

Honda is the best car maker. They've been makeing civics and accords and yet they knew their way to make an NSX.

+ Look at JetPilot's signature

Honda is the best. It is always on the top of the charts by Consumer Report Magazine. You can't make any mistakes by buying a Honda or a Toyota.

Honda or Toyota overall.

Ford has come a long way. My current company car Taurus (an 08) has better fit and finish than most Honda's Ive been in lately.

1. Honda. They almost always follow their own path.

2. Ferrari. The new generation is so ahead of everyone else in driving feel and technology.

3. Porsche. 997 GT3, enough said. But a 911 doesn't feel special, that's the real problem.

Honda? Guys, last NSX was made 4 years ago. There is no S2K. Their nicest car is what? An accord EX? This is who you pick as the loan carmaker you can't do without? Ok then you guys go buy a civic si and I'll drive a GT-2.

Honda? Guys, last NSX was made 4 years ago. There is no S2K. Their nicest car is what? An accord EX? This is who you pick as the loan carmaker you can't do without? Ok then you guys go buy a civic si and I'll drive a GT-2.

You did ask for the world's best car maker, not best car. Would you like to rephrase your question?:confused:

Last edited:
I would say BMW is the best overall

their designs are ahead of the curve, and they make something for everyone

Honda used to be one of the best, but I think they have really lost track in recent years

Last edited:
You did ask for the world's best car maker, not best car. Would you like to rephrase your question?:confused:

Best carmaker currently would mean carmaker with the best current car lineup. Honda just doesn't have anything. The clarity is their best IMO. but that's not even mass produced.

However, they are not reliable. The Jap can and make them better.

I had to do a spark plug change and a few oil changes. They are reliable.

As for who builds the best car? Whats the car-tagory?

Bentleys are ROCK solid.
BMW's are the only car on the high end which holds the most of it's value
Honda's are reliable but any of the new stuff is boring
Same goes for Toyota

In my opinion Ford is going to come out on top in the future. In fact I ordered a new Ford yesterday, The Raptor. Ford builds some unique products and their technology is way ahead of all other American manufacturers and most of the Japanese. Don't believe me, go visit a Ford dealer and see for yourself.

Last edited:
Best carmaker currently would mean carmaker with the best current car lineup. Honda just doesn't have anything. The clarity is their best IMO. but that's not even mass produced.

You need to better define "best". Honda makes utilitarian vehicles. Most Honda buyers are not interested in iDrive, massage seats, rear wheel drive, exhaust note etc. They are concerned more with mpg, reliability, resale value, cost, etc.

I think what you meant to ask was "In Turbo2go's opinion, which car company is the best?" :biggrin:

Last edited:
Best carmaker would have to be Toyota and Honda due to the fact that your question asked for best OVERALL. That means in my opinion, covering a multitude of models for all types of people, pricing from low to high, and different catagories for different situations.

You need to better define "best". Honda makes utilitarian vehicles. Most Honda buyers are not interested in iDrive, massage seats, rear wheel drive, exhaust note etc. They are concerned more with mpg, reliability, resale value, cost, etc.

I think what you meant to ask was "In Turbo2go's opinion, which car company is the best?" :biggrin:

Couldn't agree more

Exactly This thread is really asking us to guess what is in the twisted mind of Turbo2go:tongue:

I think BMW is the best car maker. High quality cars at every price range and model.

Mini Cooper
1-Series
3-Series
5-Series
6-Series
7-Series
X3
X5
X6
Z4
M Cars
Roll Royce

I guess they are missing an exotic/super/hyper car... damn.

I think BMW is the best car maker. High quality cars at every price range and model.

Mini Cooper
1-Series
3-Series
5-Series
6-Series
7-Series
X3
X5
X6
Z4
M Cars
Roll Royce

Throw the McClaren F1 with a BMW S70/2 (627 bhp) into your list.

Mini Cooper
1-Series
3-Series
5-Series
6-Series
7-Series
X3
X5
X6
Z4
M Cars
Roll Royce

and trucks :confused:
The worlds best carmaker needs a well rounded lineup

OK let me re-phrase the question... if all car makers died tomorrow and only one survived... only one was allowed to make cars for you from here on end... who would you want that to be? Dam, now that I rephrased my own question I am leaning more towards Honda and Toyota simply because they make more environmentaly friendly cars. LOL... OK i was bored with the thread... so what... :D

Audi would be on my list.

Their range is pretty broad, and has class-leaders in most categories: small to mainstream cars and SUVs (gas and TDI) to sporty cars (S/RS), up through the R8. Good balanced focus of engineering and ergonomics.

If that's not enough they have Lamborghini.

Back