• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Worth the trade??? NSX vs 03 Lexus IS

Worth the trade??? 91/92 NSX vs 03 Lexus IS

Well i am highly interested in picking up my first NSX. the thing is im worried about is trading in my 03 IS300 with a lot of nice mods for a 91 or 92 NSX. I would be using the NSX for a daily until at least winter. is this a viable concern? i want to be able to have fun with the NSX, and it will not be a garage queen. although i know how to take care of my cars!

mainly im worried about leaving my ultra reliable lexus that has had no issues, and never has, (knock on wood) with 67k miles. i would be getting something with prob around 70k miles in a NSX. is this an even trade up? will the reliability be there with the NSX? will it be more costly to repair? you input is greatly appreciated and will be a big factor in wether or not to make the trade. thanks in advance guys.
~weiss

Last edited:
I would get a PPI on the NSX and a leak down test. As far as reliability issues are concerned make sure you have "records".

Dealer quotes, private shop cheaper, list of expensive items.

1. ABS $3700 ( most don't fail)
2. A/C evaporator $3000
3. Snap ring fix $2500
4. Timing belt $1750
5. Window regulators $600
6. Clutch master cylinder $450
7. Trunk struts $150
8. wiper blade inserts $55

If the car is blowing cold, and drives straight and pulls hard in any gear to 8k, no gaps in fenders everything lines up I would say its a good trade since the Lexus will depreciate more than the NSX. You will pay for tires, just buy them through tirerack every 10k miles since early models suspension setup is aggresive.

I cannot comment on your trade value for the IS300 because you are in a totally different country.
But reliability wise, I would not worry about a NSX with 70K miles, provided of course that normal maintenance and procedures have been followed.
The NSX IS probably more expensive to repair as parts are expensive. But so far, in almost six years of ownership and 52K miles I have NEVER had to replace any part because of wear except tires and a few lightbulbs.

It would be VERY advisable to have a pre-purchase inspection done by a knowledgable mechanic on the NSX before buying it. Then you would have all the answers you need.

I should track what I spend on my NSX. I think its not bad considering what it is. I wouldn't expect to daily drive a ferrari, or lambo for cheap. Even porsche I can't imagine is cheap to daily drive. I think the major costs I've had in the last 2 years:

Timingbelt/water pump - preventive maintenance
Thermostat - broke
Valve adjustment - preventive maintenance
Sparkplug change - preventive maintenance

I think that's it...

I sold my brother my 01 is300 and now he is leasing my 91 NSX....Its an automatic NSX and he Loves the NSX over the is300 greatly...

Only issues i have had out of the IS was O2 sensors...400 a pop if Lex does it.

As far as reliability---Even though the NSX is older, I would say its still as reliable as the IS and gets better gas mileage.....

Try to get you one with the major work done and drive it until the tires fall off.

I have stiff springs on mine---Great for the weekend. Get some Eibach Springs if you must drive daily.....Big improvment on my 91 auto when i did it.

wow thanks for the great responses guys. i am def keeping my eye out for one with preventative maintenance done and will def do a PPI. i just didnt want to trade what has been a great car reliability wise and other for an older model car that could have problems down the road! i mean lexus parts and NSX parts have to be comparable. maybe a little bit more but no comparison the porshe parts ect.....
sounds like im leaning towards the NSX plus i just got a new job offer today... Wooo Hoooo.... so it might be a nice new gift to myself :D

I sold my brother my 01 is300 and now he is leasing my 91 NSX....Its an automatic NSX and he Loves the NSX over the is300 greatly...

Only issues i have had out of the IS was O2 sensors...400 a pop if Lex does it.

As far as reliability---Even though the NSX is older, I would say its still as reliable as the IS and gets better gas mileage.....

Try to get you one with the major work done and drive it until the tires fall off.

I have stiff springs on mine---Great for the weekend. Get some Eibach Springs if you must drive daily.....Big improvment on my 91 auto when i did it.

so you brother now dailys the NSX and you have the lex or he got rid of the lex for the NSX and is happy with the trade?

You need to drive an NSX. Your answer will be clear.

driving an NSX

I don't necessarily think that is the answer. I own a 06' IS350 and I have driven an NSX as well. It is a great car but there are many things that are different about the car. I remember that I was sitting in a car that was 10+ years old so the interior looked older. The car drives like a sports car but it isn't as fast as I originally thought they were. I have also driven in a few Turbo and SC'd NSXs and those are the sh#t! I think the engine is the one thing that could need a little bit of tuning if you have driven in some of today's faster cars. I am actually trading in my 350 for a BMW 335i coupe. I still plan to get a 91 NSX when the price and time is right. I personally wouldn't get a 91' to do daily driving. The small things that need to be fixed that wear out are expensive. When I get mine it will be another weekend car. Speaking of which is anyone in Dallas that can look at a car for me?

How can we even compare the two? Not the same category of car.

Can I sell my Escalade and get a Pinto for a daily driver? Sure you CAN, but why would you?

i understand the two are two complete different cars! that was not the issue. but for the summer i wanted to trade up and drive the nsx daily. eventually i will just get a beater for the winder months just wondering about the initial trade. i also may need someone in the texas area to take a look at one for me. i am in talks with a guy down and might need anyone interested in helping me out to take a gander. thanks.

I say get the NSX, its the only exotic car you can drive daily. The little things failing will probably not require immediate attention and you can "always" find support here from members who are able to find parts/labor 30% less than dealer rates.

Life is to short to worry about minor things:tongue:

^^^^^thanks NSXFRIEND that is exactly my mentality!! i mean its a 25K sportscar. so the little things you cant sweat! i just want to have fun. i have no kids, or even a GF at the time sucking up my money or needing the room. so do it while i can i say!!!!! :D

I daily drove my '91 NSX for the first 6 months or so...even thru winter (although it was Seattle, so it was mostly just rain.)

Never had a problem...I even needed the timing belt fixed...I just held off a little longer until I had the resources to do it. These cars are Honda's...they're made to be driven.

Now, close to $20k later I can say that you should definitely cut up your credit card after you purchase it.

Do it. Compare how many IS300 and NSX on the road today, i will pick NSX.
Both car are reliable if you do all the maint.

My brother had a 5-speed yellow IS300 fully L-tuned and later traded it in for a new IS and GS for his wife....

I've driven the IS many times and that car ImO should never have been made in manual since that tranny sucks! Lexus made a decent sedan and I have not one but 3 friends who all drive silver IS300's right now. Decent space for 4, super quiet, reliable but it's one downright boring car.

You can't compare an NSX since it has basically no trunk, no storage space, crappy cup holders, etc. I would not get one for a daily driver since the car will be nowhere near perfect. Keep the IS and buy the NSX as a fun car.

I'm fortunate to have cars to pick on what day to drive depending on my work but if I can only have one car, it definitely would not be the nsx or s2000 for that matter.....

At the rate you would go through rear tires makes this an ever worse choice for a daily. The nsx is no speed demon but just has a persona unlike any other car I've driven so far and that is why I bought one.

rick

I agree with the previous poster. I would get the NSX as your fun weekend car. If you buy it for the DD you better have some cash handy for a fix or two.

so you brother now dailys the NSX and you have the lex or he got rid of the lex for the NSX and is happy with the trade?

He actually drives the NSX more and still has the LEX. He only drives the LEX on bad days or when he needs to have 2 or more people in the car. In Atlanta we have allot of stop and go traffic, which in the LEX kills the gas milege IMO....The AUTO NSX does better in stop and go traffic.......Maybe after the attention of the NSX goes down, he will start to drive the LEX more. He stated its the closest he would get to being a rock star......
When I first got it.....We went to Drag strip....I left the IS after 30mph and won by 5 cars..... Not bad for an automatic NSX that everyone says is slow....

You can't compare an NSX since it has basically no trunk, no storage space, crappy cup holders, etc.

LOL.i agree. the cup holder is the real bad design. it cannot hold most cups
i really worry about it when i was shifting. trunk. haha. :biggrin: wut u expect for trunk. since it's a super low car. if u expect a big trunk,it's gonna be a joke.

is stock nsx loud? i highly doubt. LOL

Greetings

We just happen to have a 2003 IS and a 2003 NSX. Both are expensive to maintain -- if you take them to a dealer. An oil change on the NSX costs $100 (Los Gatos Acura) and an oil change on the IS300 costs $70 (Lexus of Stevens Creek) -- both with synthetic oil. Rear tires can get expensive -- you aren't buying tires from Costco anymore! Buy from Tire Rack or get someone to match their price -- I did.

The NSX will spank the IS and get about 10% better fuel economy -- yes, I keep meticulous records and use Microsoft Money. The NSX is very small -- 2 people only, so you will need another car if friends or parents visit. The IS is cramped with 4 adults if you want to go anywhere -- weekend to wine country or equivalent. Neither are comfortable for a long drive -- 300 miles a day or more. I have done both -- need an LS for those long drives -- it gets better mileage at 75 on the highway for a long trip than either of the 2 others. The NSX is much more fun to drive for ice cream.

My NSX automatic will spank my neighbor's IS350 automatic quite easily -- Edmunds says the Lexus is 6.1 0-60 (Lexus says 5.6). Beating a BMW 330I with a manual transmission with the NSX is not even racing, but something you can't do with your IS300.

Our IS has had numerous problems, enough that we got an extended warranty before the original expired -- already recovered the cost. Front end skirts for the NSX are not cheap either -- you have to relearn to drive with a car this low to the ground.

You have to pay attention when you drive an NSX. Move the wheel on an IS while talking on the phone and it wanders around in its lane. Do the same steering wheel movements on an NSX, and it changes lanes.

NSX's attract the attention of the police -- you can't run 2 mph over the speed limit or they will pull you over -- must join the 11-99 foundation -- $1500. The NSX will attract a lot of attention -- when is the last time someone mistook your IS300 a Ferrari?

Hope this sheds some light on the difference. I personally would buy a newer NSX than a 91. No disrespect to the originals, but i would want one with the little annoyances fixed -- snap ring, windows, etc.

Time to get out the Ouija board.
Good luck
Martin

I used to use my NSX as a daily driver...for about 2 months...then I realized that like a Lamborghini - it attracts a great deal of attention:eek: I found it better to drive my Cadillac to work and let my baby rest...way less headaches and worries:rolleyes: People are just plain ignorant...or envious...and with such mindsets - stupidity takes hold...I would definatley get the NSX if I was you...and NO...I would not look away from purchasing a 91...they are less expensive and they usually come with a great assortment of sweet mods:biggrin:

Whatever you do...see the NSX for what it is...an EXOTIC sportscar...and exotic sportscars attract and command attention!:wink:

God's speed all

Dam:cool:

There is no way your automatic NSX would beat my old IS350 in a 1/4 mile. I am sorry but 0-60 is 5.5 at worst in the IS350. I don't know where you got that info. I now have a 335i coupe and that WILL no doubt beat that car. The NA1's were not as fast as I once thought. Unless your NSX is modded I don't see that happening. Plus, an IS300 is not the same as a IS350 either. Look, I don't mind being a NSX enthusiast but be realistic and don't quote off the wall numbers without research. Actually, a NA1 manual would run a tight race with a new IS350 in a ¼ mile race. IS350’s run 13.2-13.4’s at the track quite often. One has even done a 12 second after dropping weight. So either your friend didn’t know how to drive or the facts are wrong.

Back