• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Would you paint your NSX a different Color?

I plan on repainting my Berlina Black '92 once I have finished pruchasing the entire Downforce catalog and am ready to install it all. I want to keep the colour black, I know it is a pain to upkeep and gets dirty when you look at it, but it just amazes me when it is clean and I go out to the garage and see it.

If I was to paint my car another colour, I would have to strip everything out (engine, blah blah blah) and I'd go with Imola or MCP off the wall very desireable.

can't go wrong with black/yellow .......turbo2go loves it.:wink:
LOL Doc's theme song
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nWAGLkyxQG0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

see...take it from snoop..the hunnies love the black and yellow:biggrin:

This ones for you paint experts. If I wanted to paint a car Candy Apple Red you know the color (OLD School Hot Rod red), and the car is silver (oem) could you just add the top coats of red without adding the silver base coats? Saving time, money, and labor?

I've done LBBP before and is currently Pearl white with black top. Still missed the blue paint which makes the car look more modern. Another colour you might want to consider is the Lamborghini orange with black top. My friend did it to his NSX and it looks really striking on the road.

I looked at both the Lime Green and the JDM Pearl White. I haven't seen either in person so it is hard to say. I won't half-ass the repaint if I do it. I want to make sure it makes me love the car more not less. This is very helpful and I appreciate the comments.

The thing about Green I notice is it just doesn't stand out on the NSX. The NSX stands out in a crowd much better in bright colors. I have seen the LBBP and it makes it look amazing.

I looked at both the Lime Green and the JDM Pearl White. I haven't seen either in person so it is hard to say. I won't half-ass the repaint if I do it. I want to make sure it makes me love the car more not less. This is very helpful and I appreciate the comments.

The thing about Green I notice is it just doesn't stand out on the NSX. The NSX stands out in a crowd much better in bright colors. I have seen the LBBP and it makes it look amazing.[/QUOTE

I think there's a guy on here named Lime Green NSX and its a spectacular color! Get him to send you detailed pics to help decide...

I say go for it. Brooklands is a nice color, but like many others, I personally do no like the color green for cars. JDM pearl white would be truly desirable but the lime green would seem to be a practical and even rarer choice consider you are technically just changing shades of green and not color.

You are already extensively modded and it would be just as much work if not harder to sell and try to find another NSX in the right color with the same amount of mods/transferring the mods over. If you were to ever sell the car even after painting it, you would not have much of an issue selling it as the NSX has a very wide range of demographic for customer base. It's just a matter of waiting for the right customer to come along.

P.S. Yes it is I. I never had hard feelings and hope you do not either about our escalation earlier. It was unfortunate that we had some misunderstandings and disagreements. I hope we can put that behind us and look forward to being a part of this great forum.

The thing about Green I notice is it just doesn't stand out on the NSX. The NSX stands out in a crowd much better in bright colors. I have seen the LBBP and it makes it look amazing.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144162&highlight=lime+green&page=2

if you want to stand out, the lambo lime green is nice with black wheels and other black accents

That Lime Green looks good in one picture but not the other. It will be a hard choice to make since it is A) expensive and B) a huge commitment. The comment regarding my mods is valid. I have a vast amount of stuff on my car that would be damn near impossible find on another car. I will say that I notice that our cars come in two types of Modified versions. One is for looks and the other is performance. Occasionally we try to do both but at some point you have to sacrifice one for the other. Case in point is if you track your car the paint will not hold up as well if you ever go off track(hint, hint). Plus, 90% of my mods were to make my car safe to drive fast and handle better at high speeds. The gauges I have are simply a way to verify that everything is working correctly in my engine bay. Anyway, my point is that the option of just selling your nsx to re-buy another in a different color isn't as nice of an option as I thought.

I still don't know what I will do but I probably won't rush this decision as it is a pricey one.

Yes I would.

I did a full color change from red to silver on my car. The car needed to be painted as I got stuck behind a gravel truck that was spewing gravel all over the highway. The insurance company paid out to have 3/4's of the car painted and I decided I was going to change the color, as the paint wasn't going to be original anyway. I too had a lot of mods that I didn't want to transfer and paying tax twice is something most people don't calculate into the equation of buying a different car, for color. Lastly, I decided if these cars ever do become collectible they will be worth restoring and I've seen some old Jags and Healeys restored that are just trashed. So this car would be easy to restore.

Dis-assembly and re-assembly were done by myself and one of my friends. It’s really pretty easy, but it’s a lot of work and time. There are also a great number of pieces that need to get painted. When the first painter I contacted looked at my car I believe he got overwhelmed with the amount of work. Another quote for paint I got was 10K. I finally used a friend of my fathers who paints a lot of hotrods and he did the car for a fair price.

If I had to do it again I definitely would. However, I would have done a few things differently.

1. I wouldn't have told my wife it would be done in 6 months. She was three months pregnant with our first child when I started. Let's just say I didn't meet the deadline set forth.

2. I would have completely gutted everything from the cabin, which looked like a tremendous amount of work. Some of the wiring and the brake lines in the cabin looked like things that I didn't think were going to go back together.

3. The reason for number 2 is I would have had the entire chassis powder coated like the DA race car build. This would have been a lot more durable in the engine compartment, wheel wells and bottom of the car. My front and rear engine bays are holding up fine but my jack points and wheel wells have some chips.

4. I would have had the chassis powder coat done in black so that the color of the car could be changed rather easily by anyone because the engine bay and front compartment could be left black.

My last piece of advice would be plan for the might as wells. Because when you do it the might as wells don't seem to end.

This is strictly my opinion from my experience.
Here is my "build".
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103319

Chris

Anyway, my point is that the option of just selling your nsx to re-buy another in a different color isn't as nice of an option as I thought.

labor cost to remove/reinstall mods + price difference between cars (upgrade years to get desired color)

vs.

cost to have the car repainted (remove/reinstall of A LOT more than mods) + loss of resale value

If color meant enough to me to justify the cost of either of these options I would be most-tempted by the first because of the "keep it simple" principle (so many things in the second to go wrong and cause a headache) and because they're probably about the same cost...but with the first you get a newer car with 6-speed, etc. (Still, I couldn't justify the cost of either just for the color).

This is my opinion only...

If you're not going to do a FULL repaint of everything (under hood, firewall, etc), don't do it. One color you might be able to cut some corners is Berlina Black.

If your NSX has decent paint to begin with then consider selling it and buying another in the color you want.

If your paint is really poor, then it's an easier decision to repaint, but it's so much easier and less costly to paint it the original color. Resale would be higher too.

Yes I would.

I did a full color change from red to silver on my car. The car needed to be painted as I got stuck behind a gravel truck that was spewing gravel all over the highway. The insurance company paid out to have 3/4's of the car painted and I decided I was going to change the color, as the paint wasn't going to be original anyway. I too had a lot of mods that I didn't want to transfer and paying tax twice is something most people don't calculate into the equation of buying a different car, for color. Lastly, I decided if these cars ever do become collectible they will be worth restoring and I've seen some old Jags and Healeys restored that are just trashed. So this car would be easy to restore.

Dis-assembly and re-assembly were done by myself and one of my friends. It’s really pretty easy, but it’s a lot of work and time. There are also a great number of pieces that need to get painted. When the first painter I contacted looked at my car I believe he got overwhelmed with the amount of work. Another quote for paint I got was 10K. I finally used a friend of my fathers who paints a lot of hotrods and he did the car for a fair price.

If I had to do it again I definitely would. However, I would have done a few things differently.

1. I wouldn't have told my wife it would be done in 6 months. She was three months pregnant with our first child when I started. Let's just say I didn't meet the deadline set forth.

2. I would have completely gutted everything from the cabin, which looked like a tremendous amount of work. Some of the wiring and the brake lines in the cabin looked like things that I didn't think were going to go back together.

3. The reason for number 2 is I would have had the entire chassis powder coated like the DA race car build. This would have been a lot more durable in the engine compartment, wheel wells and bottom of the car. My front and rear engine bays are holding up fine but my jack points and wheel wells have some chips.

4. I would have had the chassis powder coat done in black so that the color of the car could be changed rather easily by anyone because the engine bay and front compartment could be left black.

My last piece of advice would be plan for the might as wells. Because when you do it the might as wells don't seem to end.

This is strictly my opinion from my experience.
Here is my "build".
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103319

Chris

This advice is fine if you have the time and capabilities to strip you car down for painting. If you don't then this makes absolutely no sense. Changing color in an auto is only good if you can justify taking out the glass, the motor, doing all the surfaces with the new color - like it would come from the factory.

If you want to mess up the resale value of your car paint it on all surfaces you can see without a full paint restoration. That would do it. To do a proper paint job on a car is like doing a rotisery resto to a car completely stipped out.

Someone else said if you don't ever intend on selling your car then basically - who cares. But eventually your car will be sold.

IMG_4136PinkishpurpleNSX.jpg

IMG_1902110312PurpleNSX.jpg

IMG_3369Mine101030.jpg

I like to play with Photoshop and change the color of my '05 Long Beach Blue Pearl with just the toggle of a color scale, but no, I wouldn't change it for real. I love it.

As a fellow Brooklands Green owner, look at the JDM Lime Pearl...

My NSX is black right now, As much as I love black its a bitch to keep clean. I really want to spray the car Champ white, but that will never happen.

how about artic white camo ?
digital camo ?
white with black tiger stripes?
white with black cow spots?
rear window handcarved gun rack?
maybe a 12" lift kit and some mudders

-

Actually I'd like to take as many parts as possible down to lightly polished aluminum and then clearcoat the entire car

Actually I'd like to take as many parts as possible down to lightly polished aluminum and then clearcoat the entire car

On a complete opposite of that (well sort of) brushed aluminum. I color I just saw not to long ago that is really coolis BMW steel gray but with a matte clear coat.

attachment.php

On a complete opposite of that (well sort of) brushed aluminum. I color I just saw not to long ago that is really coolis BMW steel gray but with a matte clear coat.

attachment.php

Thats just looks like a vinyl wrap job. I still like it:smile:

Back