• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

WTB Tachometer

I know there are some new tacho's out there which are a little pricey and was hoping someone may have a rev meter they are willing to part with for a reasonable price for an AT to MT conversion? if anyone has suggestions for alternative options and ideas as i only need the housing or backing plate showing the MT red line. Cheers.

Wayne sold me an M/T gauge face for pretty cheap, maybe he has stock of some? You can buy just the face, but then you need to pull the old needle and metal post out of the air core motor which usually destroys it.

You can try to break the needle free from the metal post that goes inside the air core motor and reattach the needle in the exact same angle after replacing the face but I've not tried that (yet). I'm assuming the needle is either glued or press-fit onto the metal post, you'd need to be very careful not to scratch the gauge face or damage the post though. The gauge faces are incredibly easy to damage with just a fingerprint or air duster, and the only way to replace the face without breaking the gauge is to remove just the needle and not touch the post.

I broke my A/T tach gauge trying to remove the needle and bought an old Legend cluster to scavenge the air core motors from and fix my NSX gauges, but then I went with the S2000 cluster and haven't bothered with the NSX cluster yet. If that sounds like too much then I'd be inclined to leave the cluster alone or pony up for a complete tach assy. The air core motor wires are also easy to break if you overtighten the PCB mounting screws so worst case you're out $700+ anyways.

[MENTION=10956]whrdnsx[/MENTION] (wayne) can get you a tach face
You will need TWEEZER PLIERS (Harbor Freight has OK ones) to twist remove the needle from the stepper motor.
You will need to power up the cluster to set zero and reinstall the needle.

Since you are there, you might as well rebuild the cluster as it needs to be done. Clusters can start a serious dash fire when they fail.

I am gearing up to do this type of work because retired and need something to do to fund my other activities.

@whrdnsx (wayne) can get you a tach face
You will need TWEEZER PLIERS (Harbor Freight has OK ones) to twist remove the needle from the stepper motor.
You will need to power up the cluster to set zero and reinstall the needle.

Since you are there, you might as well rebuild the cluster as it needs to be done. Clusters can start a serious dash fire when they fail.

I am gearing up to do this type of work because retired and need something to do to fund my other activities.

Thanks. Wayne is helping me with the conversion when all of the parts arrive, but he doesn't have any of the faces available. I know RFY does a conversion also, but it seems like it will be an expensive exercise. Was hoping to find a face somewhere. Did you have any before and after pics of the LED bulbs you replaced on yours or you haven't done that yet?

Back