• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

WTF: 150 SoCal cops surround and bust car meet

They (the participants) should contact the ACLU. In my opinion they (ACLU)sometimes take up some questionable causes, but it seems like this might be a good use of their time and effort, especially since the individuals probably don't have the resources at their disposal to take on this cause.

This is really disgusting -- from so many perspectives.

:eek: Are you serious? :tongue:

The ACLU has more important things to do, such as...well...hm...

Plus, if they get involved, your overpowering car might be an infringement on someone else's safety ( since as sportscar owners, we lack the judgment to decide for ourselves anyway ), so therefore you're not allowed to have it. :tongue: :rolleyes: We must all drive 80hp cars in the future. :biggrin:

Funny you say that. My house just got robbed 6 days ago. I called the police, they showed up and their response was “things happen”. I asked for them to take fingerprints and they said they couldn’t because the time and money it would take to find and run fingerprints would not be justified for just a home robbery.

Now after telling me that the time and money to investigate a home robbery is not worth it, I read they spend $500,000 doing a police raid on potential street racers??

SCREW COPS!! I am 31 years old and have NEVER looked back over my life and said, “Wow, I’m sure glad we have cops around”!:mad:

Don't worry. Whatever it was they stole was probably recovered in this bust. Afterall, we all know that only thieves get together and showoff their cars.

I always laugh when I see COP shows where the cop asks the guy if they can search his vehicle - and the guy says YES and then they find a huge bag of weed or coke, or something.

Its pretty simple, when the Cop asks if he can search you ask, Do you have reason to assume that I need to be searched? If the Cop doesn't explain probable cause then you're free to go - he may throw the book at you for something else, but at least your stash will be safe! :)

PS - why are the guys running the drugs always driving erratically, in unfit cars and without a license?

Funny you say that. My house just got robbed 6 days ago. I called the police, they showed up and their response was “things happen”. I asked for them to take fingerprints and they said they couldn’t because the time and money it would take to find and run fingerprints would not be justified for just a home robbery.

Now after telling me that the time and money to investigate a home robbery is not worth it, I read they spend $500,000 doing a police raid on potential street racers??

SCREW COPS!! I am 31 years old and have NEVER looked back over my life and said, “Wow, I’m sure glad we have cops around”!:mad:

First of all, sorry about your loss and please understand I am not attempting to argue with you or disagree with the way you feel. But if you feel "SCREW COPS" why did you call them? If we all feel that they should just get screwed do you think we should just get rid of them, that they all a bunch of do nothings, that they are just a waste of our tax dollars? Just curious about how you come to that conclusion. I know it's a job I wouldn't want to do. On the other hand, I know some that wouldn't get any respect without the uniform or the gun. At the same time, I know some that are really decent people.

Someone also mentioned that the police wouldn't do this to "Ferrari owners" and the like. That is true. How may exotic car owners do we know that hang out at known street racing venues late on a Friday or Saturday night w/ expired licenses, stolen motors/tranny, altered VIN, drunk in public, resisting arrest, illegal mods (well, probably some illegal mods) and outstanding felony warrants? Probably not many, if any.

I know of one. I don't know if it's a street racing venue but it drew a wide variety of people while I was there. He's a prime member too! Cool guy! beautiful Ferrari!

Plus, how is the average person supposed to KNOW that there is going definitely going to be illegal vehicles around? After all, at a nsx meet, who is to know which one of us is fully legit?

Good. Call your parents when someone is trying to break into your
house.:biggrin: :confused:

I call Glock 22 .40 cal FMJ and all 15 of it's little pals that live together in it's wonderful High Cap magazine; that sleeps within my arms reach every night. :biggrin:

"PS - why are the guys running the drugs always driving erratically, in unfit cars and without a license?"

Ahh, maybe there on drugs? :biggrin:

Cars & Coffee had a smaller than normal turn out yesterday.
Is this the reason? Nah. probably the slight overcast weather.

It wasn't an assumption. You've stated in the past that you were involved with law enforcement. You weren't the only person who spoke favorably about this type of enforcement -- did I assume that the others were also law enforcement people?

Happy to see you're involved in defense work. Are you enjoying your defined benefits pension as well?

Well just because once upon a time I was a cop does not make me a cop for the rest of my life-right? I am retired from LE (10 years now) and doing defense work is quite a bit different than arresting people. I also think that necessarily implies a shift in thinking, beliefs, etc. Regardless of that, I still stand by my first post on this thread.

First of all, sorry about your loss and please understand I am not attempting to argue with you or disagree with the way you feel. But if you feel "SCREW COPS" why did you call them? If we all feel that they should just get screwed do you think we should just get rid of them, that they all a bunch of do nothings, that they are just a waste of our tax dollars? Just curious about how you come to that conclusion. I know it's a job I wouldn't want to do. On the other hand, I know some that wouldn't get any respect without the uniform or the gun. At the same time, I know some that are really decent people.

just because they do good things, doesn't mean they are immune to a good "fuck you" every once in a while. kind of like most people in this world.

just because they do good things, doesn't mean they are immune to a good "fuck you" every once in a while. kind of like most people in this world.

Oh. Well I guess I've never really felt the need to do that for them or most people in this world. What ever.:confused:

Why did I call them?? One reason.....Insurance!! If I call my insurance company and put a claim in for the front window they broke and the ~$5000 worth of stuff they stole, the first thing the insurance company is going to say is "what is the police report number". If the insurance company didn't need a police report number, I would have never called them because I know they are not going to do anything about it other than say "things happen"! :mad:

While the whole incident is f***ed up to begin with, this just goes to show how screwed up Kalifornia really is. That state needs a quick shock to the heart or needs "the" quake to break it off into the Pacific.

I feel for those some of the people that live there. That really sucks.

While the whole incident is f***ed up to begin with, this just goes to show how screwed up Kalifornia really is. That state needs a quick shock to the heart or needs "the" quake to break it off into the Pacific.

I feel for those some of the people that live there. That really sucks.

Thanks for that Pal. I live in San Francisco.:tongue:

SFPD -the only East coast PD on the West coast! Believe me, I know.

:mad: 4/2/2008

Did anyone here see this :confused:

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/23/2302.asp

California: Police Raid Car Enthusiast Gathering, Generate Revenue
Police raid Riverside, California parking lot to issue modified car tickets at local car enthusiast gathering.

Using $503,000 in federal and state gas tax revenue to pay for overtime, nine police agencies in Riverside, California sent more than one hundred police officers to surround a gathering of automotive enthusiasts. Owners of imported sport compact cars had gathered at the Canyon Crossing shopping center on Friday night to swap stories, talk about their passion for cars and show off the latest enhancements to their rides. At around 11pm police surprised participants by blocking all exits with fifty police cruisers. Officers then began a warrantless search and interrogation operation of the 150 vehicles that were present.

"If you're not into street racing, why would you need that?" Riverside Police Traffic Sergeant Skip Showalter asked an enthusiast during a similar crackdown last year. "Why would you want more power going to your car?"

Police issued a total of forty-eight tickets for "engine modifications" with police accusing the owners of the parked vehicles of being street racers. Another fifty tickets were issued for paperwork violations, dark window tinting and lack of a front license plate. The most revenue, however, will be generated from the fees imposed on twenty vehicles that were confiscated. Despite labeling the parking lot raid as taking place at a "street racing venue," Riverside Police offered no evidence that any street racing actually took place.

Across the state, gas tax funds are regularly used to fund similar crackdowns that generate big revenue. In 2004, the California Highway Patrol issued a total of 101,553 "modified car" citations worth $10.5 million according to CHP data obtained by TheNewspaper.

Other law enforcement agencies participating in Friday night's raid included the California Highway Patrol, Riverside County Sheriff's Department, and police from Baldwin Park, Fontana, Irwindale, Moreno Valley, Ontario and Mount San Jacinto Community College.

reason # 1 not to live in that fuct'd up state

because he HAD to have a police report to file insurance....

FWIW my mother was a sheriff...and i still say screw 99.9% of cops....

what drugs? what are you talking about? not to be sensitive but drugs have never been my style, please do not insinuate that they may have been.

No problem. Just weird commemts.....

Have a nice weekend I guess.:eek:

Sorry to disappoint all the cop haters, but I went to this meet once, and they were completely justified in busting it up. Burnouts, attempted drifting, and general asshattery were the norm.

Sorry to disappoint all the cop haters, but I went to this meet once, and they were completely justified in busting it up. Burnouts, attempted drifting, and general asshattery were the norm.

So why don't they just circle around like vultures and pick off all these burn outers, attempted drifter'ers, and general asshatters? I mean, it's great to get the bad guys off the streets that weren't acting like fools at the time, but it could easily happen to many of us when Portland PD raids Nsxpo 2008 and hands everyone tickets for noise pollution, illegal headlights, being too low, window tint, no front plate and god knows what else...... I know the example is far fetched, but I'm sure this massive raid was also a far fetched idea at one time in the past.

Back