• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

xm into the nsx

Is there anyway to easily integrate it my car without losing my CD changer? I would use the cradle it is supplied with. Don't care about the display, as it has it's own. Help!

I have this
tao_pop_1.jpg

and want to put it in this.

Last edited:
http://www.taolife.com/tao-main.html

First thing I found as I read into the product is you need nothing basically!
The Tao xm2go has built in FM modulator apparently so will transmit to the nearest receiver (i.e. your OEM radio!) - it even has selectable frequencies so you can pick one that is "free" and works well with your unit. No wires necessary. Nice feature!

There are other options available like the typical cassette adapter modulator but I'm not crazy about those! Here's the full manual on-line. which covers some of the methods.

However, you always lose something in fidelity with a modulator, so hard-wire solution is better.

You can start with an auxiliary adapter like the Blitzsafe Hon/Alp V1.d - there are several other manufacturers available but the Blitz is the only one (that I know of) that can still retain use of the CDChanger as well as adding an auxiliary input since that is a concern.

Then you interface it very similarly to an iPod - get an adapter for ear-piece to RCA outputs (to plug into the Blitzsafe adapter) for basic connection to play through the head & OEM audio amp/speakers. It should have excellent fidelity (well, comparable to OEM CD audio).

I see that there are various other enhancements you can then add as desired for improved user friendliness & maybe even performance. Unfortunately nothing as integrated as some of the products available for iPod integration given its abundant popularity in the market, relative to this unit.

e.g. Power adapter; cradle (or vent mount!); maybe most beneficial might be vehicle antenna.

You wouldn't have to buy the earphone/RCA cable adapter from tao (even RadioCrap has those!); the other parts, probably. If it were me, I would probably cut off the cig lighter power adapter & hard wire it since you would inside console anyway to plug in the Blitzsafe; then have my antenna, power & ear-piece adapter outlet in convenient location where I would mount the XM controller.

Not sure how you feel about it, but you could conceivably have the cables exit the vent grilles & tie into the unit using the vent mount. I also have an extra coin tray that you can have, if you'd like to see if you can use that to inegrate the mount and drill a hole to have those cables come through it also - that way you could play with it & retain your original.

Attachments

• xm2go.JPG
    xm2go.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
D'Ecosse said:
However, you always lose something in fidelity with a modulator, so hard-wire solution is better.

You can start with an auxiliary adapter like the Blitzsafe Hon/Alp V1.d - there are several other manufacturers available but the Blitz is the only one (that I know of) that can still retain use of the CDChanger as well as adding an auxiliary input since that is a concern.

This is just too cool. I see a new "how-to" on adding XM coming soon. :biggrin:

D'Ecosse said:

Just want to check with you on this. Does this unit replace the Alpine KCA-130B Ai-NET to M-Bus Adapter I already have installed?

I have the S634 changer.

THANKS!

Hey anytime,

Their is a way to hookup Xm Radio to your car. As far as experience/installation, I work at Best Buy and I work in the Install bay installing an average 3 of these everyday in different cars.

You have 2 different routes.

1) FM modulated like the one you put a picture up.

Pro's: Has the most options, regarding adding a home kit, or putting in a different car, but you must ad an other car kit to the other vehicle.

Con's: Not great Radio Quality, a little less quality then CD quality. Unit could be bulky at times in a car, finding a place to mount the unit with docking station. Must set radio station to activate module (ex 88.1 FM), sometimes will not have reception or poor reception.

2) Dedicated module w/aftermarket stereo.

Pro's: CD Stereo Quality, better reception. Can Keep CD changer (module has a seperate plug for CD changer).

Con's: Cannot bring to house, station only in your car. Must buy aftermarket radio w/ SAT radio compatability.

Most people buy the FM modulated one, due to the vast mobility of the unit, while people who stay in there cars for traffic and want CD quality buy an aftermarket radio and go to a dedicated unit.

Installation is fairly straight foward, for FM modulated (unless you want to hardwire the power and ground) or Dedicated. One other thing is mounting the SAT antenna. I could write up a simple DYI if anyone needs. :smile:

Take Care

cHris

Currently, I am using the cassette adapter and it's OK for the time being, but I would really like to have it hardwired into the car and just use the cradle, with no wires going here and there and still retain the CD Changer (to gather dust). If I lose the CD Changer and can play the XM thru the head unit like the CD changer does (with no displayed caractures), I would be a happy man.
I would also like to do this on the wifeys IS300.

SamBel said:
Just want to check with you on this. Does this unit replace the Alpine KCA-130B Ai-NET to M-Bus Adapter I already have installed?

I have the S634 changer.

THANKS!
No it doesn't replace it - you would use this in conjunction with it.
You need to install the Blitzsafe component at the head unit end, then the extension cable (that leads to your trunk, ACUALP & KCA-130B & CHA-S634) that formerly plugged into the head plugs into the Blitzsafe unit. You would be able to retain function of your changer as well as the new device (XM, iPod, whatever auxiliary device you choose) as long as you have access to the control functions of that device i.e. the head will control the selection of which input device you process through the head (and associated volume controls etc), but it will not control track or channel selection etc.

supra2porsche2nsx said:
...Their is a way to hookup Xm Radio to your car. .... You have 2 different routes.
Respectfully Chris, there are three different routes - your two of course plus, as described in my initial response, you can still have CD quality audio results (as per your option 2 description) using the OEM head unit without reverting to FM modulation in contradiction to your comment of having to buy an after-market radio w/ SAT radio compatability.
In this third case the "CON" is that the head unit will not process commands to the XM unit (or whatever other auxiliary input device one chooses) but the "PRO" is it will play the music with originally intended quality and still also retain use of existing auxiliary device i.e. the CD changer. This is still a step better than your option 1, where you still need access to control the new input device (XM) regardless, yet suffer the reduced quality of FM modulation.

I do agree that the solution the gives the ultimate in both ease of operation & quality is your option 2, an integrated solution of compatible devices which communicate on a common BUS theme, but I think the initial question (& that of most NSX users) is seeking to be able to utilize uncompromised quality of performance of their new device while retaining the OEM head unit for ease of installation.

Cool, go with the FM modulated one, Cut the Cigarette lighter plug off, find the positive and negative. Hook it up to the stereo 12v and ground. The antenna wire that will come off the dock if it has one (for FM modulated), wrap around the factory antenna for better reception instead of mounted. The main antenna for the SAT radio, just mount it on roof and run wire through dash. If you need help feel free to ask me or anyone who knows how to do it !

Hope this helps, take care !

chris

D'eccose, hey cool ! I didn't know that, unless im thinking of it in a different way. Im trying to understand what your saying.

Are you talking about, using your RCA's to a mini-plug? I know we carry a RCA cable that can convert the RCA's to a mini-plug for Ipods or you can use it for the AUX in for the Satellite module, but like you said, the factory radio will not control the module, you must still control it manually.

Please correct me if I'm wrong :biggrin:

Chris

supra2porsche2nsx said:
....Are you talking about, using your RCA's to a mini-plug?
Exactly - mini-plug to RCA, then the RCA to the Blitzsafe which in turn plugs into the OEM head. The Blitzsafe also has a pass-through so it will still hook up to the OEM CD changer, but toggle between them.
The head can switch between the sources, just can't control tracks, stations etc - will work for any aux input device whether XM, iPod or whatever.

supra2porsche2nsx said:
...Cut the Cigarette lighter plug off, find the positive and negative. Hook it up to the stereo 12v and ground...

Uhh...sorry to butt in, but are you sure about this one? As I understand, this plug is a converter, taking 12V to 6V before it gets to the unit. This is, of course, based on my Roady2 unit.

Sam

Back