• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Yesterday, two motorcyclists dead at Nuerburgring

Went with a buddy to the ring yesterday to drive some laps, track was closed, we saw some ambulances driving out, nothing special so far. A helicopter, police and a hearse followed, at this point we knew something went terribly wrong.

One motorcyclist took a turn too fast, lost it at apex and crashed. His bike crashed into guard rail, a following motorcyclist could not brake and rode over him, he died immediately. A M5 and 997 could brake but another motorcyclist crashed into the Porsche, driver died on the way to the hospital.

juni-74d23f00d2.jpg
juni-1c60300618.jpg

Drive safe and take care of yourself, can happen to anyone at the track.

Terrible shame for the folks who lost their lives. Looks like one rider error cost several people- this is the sort of thing a lot of people just don't calculate for.

I know a bunch of guys who "wish we had access to a track like that". You watch Top Gear and see people on the ring driving bad ass porsches, bimmers, and bikes at 10/10ths, and then there are people out there with stationwagons and whatnot... Drivers of all different skill levels lapping one of the worlds most notorious courses. You KNOW this kind of a thing isn't so much a matter of "if" as it is "when".

I am guessing this is the sort of thing that keeps this kind of adventure out of North America.

I've been asked several times to drive some laps with friends on Nürburgring, but I'm a little bit scared of it. Only track I know of where people die every year.

Tradgedy for all involved...:frown:

Always wondered how that works in "The Ring" I know it costs i think around 10 US$ give or take to do a lap...but does that cover insurance? Or do you basically sign a release form before you go?...Always had a twisted mind that if I ever get lucky and get some massive money I'd like to build my own version of the ring in the US somewhere...but then we get back to the liability issue if something like this happens and the law suit happy folks ... "little johnny would never...hes a nice kid...its the tracks fault..."

I read somewhere that the death rate on the 'Ring averages around 75 per year. Crazy, but considering how much I enjoy the track in Gran Turismo 4, I really would like to try it for real. Watching Top Gear certainly doesn't help.

Last week I received an e-mail from a cousin who was in Germany for the World Cup, and, on one day, he rented a Boxter, drove the autobahn, and took 4 laps on the 'Ring. He had an amazing time, but felt he was, without a doubt, the slowest and most cautious driver out there...being passed by pretty much everything. A 911 GT3 wrecked while he was there, but there was no fatalities.

I came across the site Nurburgring for Dummies shortly after I got that e-mail...

NSXrunner said:
Tradgedy for all involved...:frown:

Always wondered how that works in "The Ring" I know it costs i think around 10 US$ give or take to do a lap...but does that cover insurance? Or do you basically sign a release form before you go?

Pretty sure the 'ring is considered public road by the insurances. So your normal coverage should take care of that.

apapada said:
Pretty sure the 'ring is considered public road by the insurances. So your normal coverage should take care of that.

Correct.

downwiz2 said:
:confused: damn....nuerburging sure is dangerous
No (with respect:smile: ). Crashing is dangerous. Thousands of people have taken it to the (their) limit at the Ring, they didn't crash.
I still think the Ring is more safe than any street. But the driver/rider has GOT to know their limitations at that place.
I would guess there are more crashes going TO the Ring that at the ring, too.

Pity for the guys tho. At least they were pushing their bikes when it all happened. You can bet they were having fun.
I don’t think he did anything stupid, although I can’t say. Once you are on the ring you realise very quickly how slow and pathetic and not cool you are. But maybe this guy was good and taking it to the limit, maybe he wasn’t good and pushed too much. Have to ask his friends. Pity.

92NSX said:
I bet you can see some amazing cars on there.
I second that. You do.
It’s worth just dropping in for the afternoon just to experience the atmosphere and the drive over there is nice too.
Peter

the thing to bear in mind with the Nurburbring is that on tourist days, for 15 euros any idiot can turn up and drive the wheels off his car/bike irrespective of:

skill level
experience
roadworthiness of vehicle
awareness/respect of other drivers

etc etc..

just take a look at this footage to see the madness...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7100736877221608438

ctrlaltdelboy said:
just take a look at this footage to see the madness...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7100736877221608438
LOL looks like quite a crazy day! Good video.

15 euros etc:
You have a point Darren, but I would have thought the guy had driven his bike along twisty roads before he got to the Ring.
And experienced the ”lesson” of what happens when you wind on the power on one of these powerful bikes too much on a sweeping corner, and what happens when you enter a corner too fast on a bike.
But maybe this was his first time to experience that. Who knows.
Well I survived my years on a fast bike, that’s all I know. I guess most do. Some don’t. Pity.
Did you see the video of the guy in a front wheel drive car who spins. He came in a little too fast and then let off the gas…
He was getting a little ahead of himself, lost respect for the place just for a moment. His attitude is just what you are talking about.
He came out ok though. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=980786467781390611&q=306
Good lesson.

710 said:

"Das ist nicht gut" lol

Never been there but I feel when you're new on this track and see all those cars flying by you, you get a little bit upset and push yourself a litt harder. That's not good for anybody.

Just spoke to my friend who does travel to the ring every year, he said "50-100 practice laps before you even should try to beat or make your own lap-record".

It seems like a good kick so next year I'm there :D

I don't consider myself being a bad driver, and I'm not very good in TV games but playing pretty good in GT series games. I didn't have countless hours to play and practice the Nurburing course either... Took me quite a bit sleepness night to "pass" the license test on Nurburing.

Now that since I don't play GT4 at all, I'm lucky to keep the car on course the whole lap, even driving my own nsx without much hp upgrade. Again, this is on GT4, it's a freaking game not in a real life. (Ok, half of the time I fell asleep in the middle of the straightaway mid way the course).

I would say 100 laps is still too little. Take for instance our regular HPDE event in US... Most have 4 -5 sessions a day. Each last 20-25 minutes. A newbie could lap most course in less than 2 minutes. that's 10 laps and say 40 laps to 50 laps a day. Most won't be encouraged to even think at lap times at least after 4-5 track days under his belt.

Yes but the real Ring is so much more. Just the ups and downs of the dips feels like the car is in the air sometimes (it isn't).
And the really hard braking while on the way up a dip, as you are braking sometimes you think you have over done it this time, and of course the speed around fast sweeping BLIND corners. The speed. It really wakes you up to the fact that you could die today.
For example I have NEVER taken any of the fast sweeping curves any like flat out. I don’t dare. Even though I know a couple of corners for sure, I still don’t trust my judgment. I know I can. But I don’t.
And then there are the sudden sharp corners, learning the course is hard, you are always surprised to see a sharp corner when it looked like a sweeper. Well, I say you, I mean I.

That’s what the real Ring does to you.

BTW I did an 11:59 in the pissing rain with lots of puddles on stock tyres in the NSX (and I will never try to do THAT again). How does that compare to the game version?

Also I’m not dissing the game, I hear that some racing drivers learn a circuit that way. But the real thing is very different.
Also, you guys that are afraid to try it, don’t be afraid. If you go slower and stay on the right with your blinker on, nobody will mind.

710 said:
Also, you guys that are afraid to try it, don’t be afraid. If you go slower and stay on the right with your blinker on, nobody will mind.

So what's the deal? When you want to let somebody pass you, do you just blink to the right and stay on the right side of the road?

|Adeel said:
So what's the deal? When you want to let somebody pass you, do you just blink to the right and stay on the right side of the road?
yes. Even on right hand corners. just don't do anything sudden and all the other drivers will find a way around you, even if you are blocking the fastest line through a courner...just stay to the right with right blinker on, let the other guy drive his own car/bike.
easy and fun.
hey Adeel, when you go down there, let me know.

710 said:
yes. Even on right hand corners. just don't do anything sudden and all the other drivers will find a way around you, even if you are blocking the fastest line through a courner...just stay to the right with right blinker on, let the other guy drive his own car/bike.
easy and fun.
hey Adeel, when you go down there, let me know.

Of course I'll let you know :) I just don't think it will happen this year. But same time next year I'm probably ready for it. I will try to gather some friends to travel down with me until then.

I'm going to drive at the local track in a few weeks from now, can't wait!! :D

|Adeel said:

the thing to remember is that the Ring is not a racetrack - it's a public highway and all the normal rules apply.

that includes:

overtake on the left
insurance must be held

the fact that it was built as a racetrack, is still often used for racing and doesn't go anywhere over it's 14 mile length except back to where it started does not change the fact that on tourist days it is a privately owned one-way public toll road with several unrestricted (speed) sections

92NSX said:
I bet you can see some amazing cars on there.

Two people died at the track and you wonder if there are some amazing cars out there?:eek: WOW, how sad!!!

Vancehu said:
Two people died at the track and you wonder if there are some amazing cars out there?:eek: WOW, how sad!!!

I guess you didn't see my first post in this thread. May I suggest you look at post #9 now.
I have already expressed my feelings about this tragedy here. I see you have only posted on here to bring attention to my 2nd post in this thread.
Coming on this thread for the sole purpose of trying to suggest I have felt otherwise shows a little bit about your character.

Back