• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

yet another 996 turbo versus NSX thread

I'm a big 911 fan as they make great year round daily drivers (esp C4 and turbo)

I almost got back into one recently (I also love the 996 lights and was considering a 996t or 997.1t), but went GTR instead.

Good source for info is:

http://forums.rennlist.com/

Also 6speedonline.com

I'm actually considering both of these cars...2004 turbo cab with X50 or 2005 Turbo S vs a 2002-2005 NSX.

I know both cars drive very differently but they seem to provide just as much driving pleasure.

I'm actually considering both of these cars...2004 turbo cab with X50 or 2005 Turbo S vs a 2002-2005 NSX.

I know both cars drive very differently but they seem to provide just as much driving pleasure.

Finding a 2004 TT Cab with X-50 is very difficult. I have 1 of 25 X-50 cabs that were distributed to certian dealers and not customer ordered.

There's a 2.5 page article in the current (June) issue of Excellence on the 996T.

Attachments

• E1.jpg
    E1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 181
  • E2.jpg
    E2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 198
  • E3.jpg
    E3.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 168
I sold a 2001 996 and didnt blink ... I listed my NSX up for sale and my wife walked in and laughned at me because I was almost in tears ... I just dont get it ... bottom line the 996 was more "fun" to drive but didnt evoke any emotions while my NSX made a grown man cry when I listed it for sale so much that I took it off.

Just some thing to think about. Everyone talks performance numbers and so on but list your NSX for sale and see how you feel. If you don't blink an eye then go for it. If you were reluctant to begin with like me and feel your throat get choked up ... you're not ready.

Seriously, its embarassing to say but no one ever speaks about the emotions that the car evokes which I have yet to experience on any other platform.

I sold a 2001 996 and didnt blink ...

On the other hand, I'll cry with joy when I can afford to trade in my 996T for a 991T.
Some folks are less emotionally attached to their 911 because there are always newer/faster ones at the dealers, and older classics are readily available.

I am super happy with my Turbo.

When I was looking last summer, I couldnt find a good 996TT for that price. They were all $50k plus to start (almost no matter which year). I did find lots of $30-$35k cars, but they all had 2nd gear pop out or some other major issue that kept me away. The cars seem to be very reliable, but there are a few issues that you must wrap your head around. If you have an issue it can get extremely expensive!

I found mine with hybrid turbos and all of the plumbing and fuel required, flash, PSS9s, a brand new transmission (CPO car, car had second gear pop out and porsche covered it), exhaust, HF Cats, plus a bunch of other things that made the car very interesting to me.

It puts down incredible power, handles like crazy, drives my kids around, and has been CHEAPER to run than my NSX was (by a long shot, principally because of rear tire wear in the NSX). And it has almost double the HP as my CTSC'd 2002 NSX did. I sold my NSX because I needed something more practical. 700HP PTurbo works for me!

I would do it again. I happen to love the look of 996s too.

Attachments

• DSC_5459.jpg
    DSC_5459.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 471
...Seriously, its embarassing to say but no one ever speaks about the emotions that the car evokes which I have yet to experience on any other platform.

It is not embarassing at all. I love my NSX so much it is crazy. I have had people offer me well more than it is worth because it is exceptionally nice, and 1 of 20 Grand Prix White NSXs made in 1994 with a 5-speed and Onyx interior (which evidently is the combo everyone wants now), but I have turned their offers down because I know I could never part with the car and stay sane. My common response to people is that if they want to buy the car, they will have to wait until I am dead first. :)

It is not embarassing at all. I love my NSX so much it is crazy. I have had people offer me well more than it is worth because it is exceptionally nice, and 1 of 20 Grand Prix White NSXs made in 1994 with a 5-speed and Onyx interior (which evidently is the combo everyone wants now), but I have turned their offers down because I know I could never part with the car and stay sane. My common response to people is that if they want to buy the car, they will have to wait until I am dead first. :)

I agree..could never part and stay sane. Oh..and 1 of 6 Grand Prix White NSXs made in 1994 with a 5-speed and TAN interior

I always thought I would keep my NSX forever, but lately I have been toying with the idea of selling my NSX for a 996 911 turbo.

Flush the "stupid pills" down the toilet then take a nap. When you wake up you'll realize you simply had a bad nightmare.

Why would anyone in their right mind swap an NSX for a piece of shit German car. Not to mention an ugly German car and one that has its engine behind the rear axle. Seriously now, it's like being in a relationship with Miss Universe but thinking about dumping her for Roseanne Barr.

This from the guy wearing the dress!!!

EBIT: But if you still drove an "NSX" you may disagree. You have a 3.5L car with 800hp!

Unplug 4 of your cylinders and see how you feel then ;)

Last edited:
The 996 turbo is ugly and the interior is cheap plastic. Yuck. Would never trade my NSX for one.

The 997 is much nicer. I would consider a swap but there is no where for golf clubs in a 997.

The 996 turbo is ugly and the interior is cheap plastic. Yuck. Would never trade my NSX for one.

The 997 is much nicer. I would consider a swap but there is no where for golf clubs in a 997.
:confused:
most of them have full leather and alcantara headliner. it may be ugly interior, but its a hell of a lot more luxurious than the nsx vinyl interior...just sayin

:confused:
most of them have full leather and alcantara headliner. it may be ugly interior, but its a hell of a lot more luxurious than the nsx vinyl interior...just sayin

The few i drove did not have the leather package and had a bunch of blank buttons for options they didn't have. I wasn't impressed. One had the x50 package. It was fast, but so what. You can only go so fast on the street.

and yet you supercharged your NSX!?

True, but the SC makes the NSX much more fun to drive of the street because of all the low-end TQ. The 996 already has plenty of power.

Glad I stumbled onto this thread. Many of you have gone through my thoughts and dilemma of getting rid of my NSX for another car, the 996TT was one of those options. Main reason - I have 2 infants now. Everything is about them (and it will be). Sadly, my NSX has primarily seen action as my spirited grocery getter in the last 2-3 years (seriously).

I drove my buddy's modded 996 TT (650 HP). The thing is a BEAST. power, AWD handling... AND a backseat. Everything makes sense, but i ask myself would I even PUT my kids in this car, knowing that we have other (safer) cars as daily drivers. In my mind, it's nice to have that option though. If my NSX was a daily driver, the 996 would be in my garage, PERIOD. I completely see why some of you have swapped.

For me, I'm not ruling out the 996 completely yet, but sometimes everything right on paper does not necessarily translate into the right decision. Deep down the 996TT is not a car that I'm not connected to emotionally like the NSX. When that emotion changes, then it's time to say goodbye. Otherwise, I'll plan to stay an NSX owner for a bit longer and just be really happy when I need to pickup milk or diapers by myself.

Not a new clip but still pretty impressive...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ut3BwIkAUpY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Another clip by Best Motoring ...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eDdRVrQ_kgo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

911's are great sports cars with reasonable comfort, making them great for a single car or daily driver for the more sporty set. my experience has been with the 996 S, 996 Turbo, 997 GT3 RS, 997 Turbo S, and the 991 S. i just don't like it enough to get one. its too common... sort of like a Mustang or a Corvette. both of which are great cars, but i can't justify purchasing.

They are definitely more common than NSX, but I don't come across too many TT though.

One interesting comment from a sports car enthusiast on another forum:

"The turbo is very quick - it's the first car I've owned where I've questioned whether it really needs to be that quick."

TT/ Carrera... differences are minimal. Just as I only see an occasional ZR1 or GT500, but they all look the same. Only 911 that stands out is the GT3 RS and that is because it looks like a Pep Boys special. Great cars, but that is my hold up.

As far as fast cars, you only need to get used to it and you will be wanting more. I would say you need to experience it, but I warn you that it is an endless and costly path... and if you continue with it you may someday be as jaded as I am. (which sucks) Instead, I focus on a more balanced car that stirs the soul... its gotta sound good, feel good, etc. and that is the NSX. It is fun to drive, even slow.

Modding anything is costly and you wont get any return if you choose to sell it. That said, cars like a Porsche Turbo are a good way to experience speed without going mod crazy and losing your ass when you sell it. And it is a good way to keep you from getting too jaded.

Back